Trusted app for exporting SMS messages? in Android

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Bagels

Trusted app for exporting SMS messages? in Android

Post by Bagels »

I don't see a way to export texts from the stock Android messages app. Third party apps want all kinds of permissions, so I need a trustworthy one.

Right now I've got old texts on the old phone, and I would like to put them on the new phone before the old phone dies.
I can make a back up with Google's backup app, but I can't make use of it unless I reset the new phone and start from scratch. This is according to their customer service. I'm reluctant to do that because I've already got nearly everything else copied.

Any recommendations?
missing [b]madsinger[/b]’s monthly reports
breakaway

Re: Trusted app for exporting SMS messages? in Android

Post by breakaway »

choc mint ice cream
kevinf

Post by kevinf »

Consider creating a Google Voice account and porting your phone number to it. That will allow you to access your txt messages on any devices you log into your Google account with and you'll never have to transfer between devices.
afan

Post by afan »

Does google voice capture messages from before one starts using it? I definitely do not know, but I did not think so.
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama
kevinf

Post by kevinf »

afan wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:21 am Does google voice capture messages from before one starts using it? I definitely do not know, but I did not think so.
It does not, it's its own service. But one that is device independent (messages are not stored on the device).