iPad v. necessity for desk top

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
PoppyA

iPad v. necessity for desk top

Post by PoppyA »

The screen on my Mac fell out!! Yup, just came unglued & crashed in the middle of the night. I do have my info backed up on an external hard drive, & some things in the cloud. I would like to retrieve some things off the hard drive, but other than that I don’t think I still have a need for a desk top machine.

I was told there is no way to transfer the photos & documents from the hard drive to my iPad.

Any thoughts?

TIA
delamer

Re: iPad v. necessity for desk top

Post by delamer »

You always can e-mail files to yourself, but I don’t know how you could do that without a working screen on the Mac.

Do you know someone with a Mac that would let you attach your external drive?

If you have an Apple Store nearby, the staff might be able to help.

[My husband has a MacBook Pro to which he attaches an external monitor. So he has portability as needed, but a much larger screen when he’s working at his desk. Anyway, my husband says he thinks it is possible to connect the external monitor without a working screen on the laptop. But he didn’t need to do so.]

Good luck.
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

You should be able to push the photos and pictures from the Mac to iCloud and then from iCloud to the iPad. You could also just leave them in iCloud as to not fill up your iPad depending on the volume / size of the data.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Can you hook up to an external monitor? If just the screen, the computer should still be working.

At least enough to transfer things off.
Topic Author
PoppyA

Post by PoppyA »

External monitor….good thought!!
02nz

Post by 02nz »

PoppyA wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:53 pm External monitor….good thought!!
Which can even be just your TV, using HDMI or an adapter.
michaelingp

Post by michaelingp »

PoppyA wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:51 am I was told there is no way to transfer the photos & documents from the hard drive to my iPad.
Technically this is sort of true. The technology is used differently. Your Mac has a hard drive (or SSD) where you can store many megabytes of "stuff". Most iPad users have very limited local storage and typically use cloud storage for files and pictures. The logical choice for you would be iCloud for the tight integration with Apple devices but Google Drive or Microsoft's OneDrive would work as well. Figure out how much space you need and upgrade your iCloud storage limits (you'll probably pay a few dollars a month indefinitely). Then upload your photos to Photos, and the documents to iCloud Drive. They will then be accessible from you iPad and, actually, from any other devices.

I agree with the others that an external monitor is probably the easiest way to get your Mac up and running, but you could also just borrow a Mac and copy the files from your backup external drive to iCloud.

Depending on your interest in this, you might want to search for the many threads discussing "Is it safe to store my stuff in the cloud?" There are two aspects: 1) Is my stuff safe from prying eyes? and 2) Is my stuff safe from system failures that could cause files to disappear?"
GibsonL6s

Post by GibsonL6s »

PoppyA wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:51 am The screen on my Mac fell out!! Yup, just came unglued & crashed in the middle of the night. I do have my info backed up on an external hard drive, & some things in the cloud. I would like to retrieve some things off the hard drive, but other than that I don’t think I still have a need for a desk top machine.

I was told there is no way to transfer the photos & documents from the hard drive to my iPad.

Any thoughts?

TIA
Did it break, I had a tech actually pull the screen off my Mac to install a solid state hard drive on it. A tech may be able to glue it back. Good luck
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

02nz wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:08 pm
PoppyA wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:53 pm External monitor….good thought!!
Which can even be just your TV, using HDMI or an adapter.
Bingo.
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

GibsonL6s wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:40 pm
PoppyA wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:51 am The screen on my Mac fell out!! Yup, just came unglued & crashed in the middle of the night. I do have my info backed up on an external hard drive, & some things in the cloud. I would like to retrieve some things off the hard drive, but other than that I don’t think I still have a need for a desk top machine.

Any thoughts?

TIA
Did it break, I had a tech actually pull the screen off my Mac to install a solid state hard drive on it. A tech may be able to glue it back. Good luck
Yes, on the iMacs (which I assume is what the OP has based on the description of the problem) the screen has to be removed for things like drive replacement. If it comes off .... it can go back on, assuming not broken.

It's not that big a deal if you have the right tools ... and have done it before (I chose not to do it myself when I had a hard drive replaced).
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

Any thoughts?

TIA
What apps do you use on the Mac?

As others have noted, an ipad generally has a LOT less storage space than a desktop. Cloud storage might or might not fulfill all your needs ...

My ipad is my most used computer. However, it cannot do many things that I need done, hence I have desktop (and laptop for travel). Though I mainly want the desktop for better photo processing. A laptop with an external monitor would work fine for most of what I use the desktop for.

The question is what do you use a computer for, and how much local storage do you need? That tells you whether or not an ipad is sufficient for your needs. At some point you needed a desktop. Why not now? I'd figure that out before doing anything.

The suggestion someone made about an Apple store is a good one. If there is a local one, they can tell you how hard it would be to get the existing mac up and running.
beyou

Post by beyou »

Alternatively, buy a mac mini new, or a used macbook.
I use 2 hand-me-down MBA’s, 2013 and 2015. Both work well and I keep both for just such emergencies as you had.

I have a somewhat newer ipad (maybe 2018) but greatly prefer the MBA. Ipad is my book reader mainly, sometimes videos. But once I need to type, prefer a larger keyboard. Even for videos, prefer larger screen on MBA. ipad is a bit more portable.

I keep all documents on the cloud so i can access from any of the 3 devices.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

I think you could get an external hdd enclosure, then hook it up to your iPad, then either copy some files to the iPad or to the cloud if they are large files. I don’t know what size hdd your Mac uses, but you should be able to buy the enclosure on Amazon for around $30

https://www.igeeksblog.com/how-to-use-e ... hone-ipad/
Topic Author
PoppyA

Post by PoppyA »

Thank you for the input!!

Unfortunately the screen did shatter when it fell out.