Coffee Maker not brewing

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
gavinsiu

Coffee Maker not brewing

Post by gavinsiu »

Yesterday, I couldn't make coffee because the coffee maker won't brew. The power light is on, but the water isn't heating even though the reervoir is full. Any idea what could be the issue? The coffee maker doesn't have a switch on the lid so that isn't the issue.
Kenkat

Re: Coffee Maker not brewing

Post by Kenkat »

Heating element has failed?

Hopefully you’ve had it for awhile as it’s probably going to be time for a replacement.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

Not uncommon for the heating element to fail, other issues are the plumbing getting clogged up and calcified where water can't flow through it (running vinegar through a few cycles periodically usually stops the calcification buildup)... not much you can do if the heating element has failed though - not something user serviceable. For various reasons I usually have to buy a new coffee maker every 3 years or so, I don't buy expensive ones.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

In the mean time, you can often take the filter basket from the non-functional coffee maker, put a filter and coffee in it, place it over a mug, and slowly pour over several minutes boiling water from a tea kettle. Best if you pour a small amount just to saturate the grounds, wait 2-3 minutes, then slowly pour the rest. No electric parts to fail using this method, but it's not quite as automatic.
Last edited by homebuyer6426 on Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

Thanks,

The coffee maker is 10 years old, so no biggie that it failed. Except that it's like the 10th appliance to fail this year. I would have to have things failed during inflationary environment. Well at least a new coffee maker isn't too expensive, at least the old style drip kind that doesn't use a pod.

In any case, I hate to throw anything working out, so I thought I asked to make sure there wasn't anything else I could try to fix the issue first. I was thinking that it might be the heating element, too, Thank you everyone for your help.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Time for a new coffee maker.

The "Mainstays" brand drip coffee maker at Walmart is still under $15 I think. Pretty sure I paid $12 for mine 3-4 years ago and it works great.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Wh ... ent=Pickup
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

I have been very happy with this Cuisinart:

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DCC-32 ... B077K9YW7D

Showing as 30% off for me at least - $69.69, a good price.
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

Regarding heating elements, I had my last toaster oven "fail on" rather than "fail off"... in other words the heating element stayed permanently on, at the highest setting, even when you turned off the unit, until you pulled the plug from the wall. Much more dangerous and less desirable than what was presumably this situation where it simply stopped heating!
Abe

Post by Abe »

Melitta 640616 Coffee Maker, 52 oz, Glass Carafe $22.65

https://www.amazon.com/Melitta-640616-P ... 1098&psc=1
Slow and steady wins the race.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

A recent and somewhat lengthy walkthrough of how common drip coffeemakers work:
Drip Coffee Makers — super simple, super cheap
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp9H0MO-qS8

To get past the historical commentary, I suggest one start at 16:19 into the video.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
nanciT

Post by nanciT »

My recent experience with Cuisinart is worth sharing if you are going to purchase a new coffee pot. I have bought the brand for years but have been shocked by the quality change recently.

I purchased a NEW Grind and Brew 6 months ago. Within 3 months the heating element started to chip off. I have never seen anything like it. I was able to return to Macys and they replaced it with a new one.

Once again within 3 months the heating plate started chipping off on the new one. I started looking up reviews and complaints and found others also having the same issue. This time Macys got Cuisinart on the line. Customer service at Cuisinart explained it was due to "water drops" that may have dripped on the heating element. It's a coffee pot...it uses water!! After putting me on hold on and off for 30 minuets they agreed to replace it.

Their requirement for this is to "Cut the cord of the coffee pot and take photos of the cut cord in front and around the pot". Send the photos in and wait for the replacement. This took 10 days....no coffee pot while waiting.

My new replacement just arrived. Hopefully it will last more than 3 months. This is the last Cuisinart I will ever purchase.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

I have had an old Cuisinart Grind & Brew for several years, an old model they no longer sell. Works great. Every morning it starts at 8:00AM, sounds like a jet taking off. I drink a pot of coffee every day.

DW has a Keurig coffee maker she uses to make her one cup, or occasionally two cups of coffee. I could drink her K-Cup selections if I had no other options, fortunately I do.

For our 50 year anniversery DW bought me an Nespresso Venturo coffee maker. I am pleasantly surprised how good the coffee tastes.* I sometimes make a double red-eye with it after dinner.

Ten years isn't a bad run for a small appliance.

Broken Man 1999

* Not as good as coffee made in my Saeco Automatic, but a heck of a lot easier. Saeco is in the pantry, retired for now.
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

gavinsiu wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:51 am Thanks,

The coffee maker is 10 years old, so no biggie that it failed. Except that it's like the 10th appliance to fail this year. I would have to have things failed during inflationary environment. Well at least a new coffee maker isn't too expensive, at least the old style drip kind that doesn't use a pod.

In any case, I hate to throw anything working out, so I thought I asked to make sure there wasn't anything else I could try to fix the issue first. I was thinking that it might be the heating element, too, Thank you everyone for your help.
a few years back we had both the espresso maker and the coffee maker go at the same time. That was a rough morning.

do you regularly clean the coffee pot with vinegar? if you have hard water (we do, but we also use brita filtered water in the reservoir) I think this helps the coffee maker work well longer. But if it's a heating element, there's nothing you can do about that.
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Switch to french press. The coffee taste is superior because the water is hotter. Unless you break the glass it lasts forever. But if you do break the glass you can just replace the beaker.
Never send to know for whom the bell tolls. It tolls for thee. — John Donne
Ependytis

Post by Ependytis »

I use a pour over carafe with a coffee filter (#2 with 100 filters) that I get at the Daiyso store for $1.50 each. I found Trader Joes Incredibly Smooth coffee ($4.99/14 ounces) with a carafe makes the best tasting coffee or close to it for no capital costs. It's simple, it's easy, it's good, it's cheap, and its portable, so I can take it when I travel. What more would you want?
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

I've had luck repairing loose wiring inside a coffee maker. But that's a fix requiring certainty that one has the requisite skills. Risks of fire, electrocution, etc. Don't mess around.
ClassII

Post by ClassII »

Thread on 10 year old coffee maker failing and ways to fix it. Ah Bogleheads, my people! :D

All for making perfectly good appliances last but yeah, time for a new one. I find even with regular cleaning they just get gross after a while. Sometimes it's just time to say good-bye.