Lyft vs Uber

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tc101

Lyft vs Uber

Post by tc101 »

I have not used either one in several years. Is there any difference? Is one better than the other? Which do you use?
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.
Bh1984

Re: Lyft vs Uber

Post by Bh1984 »

Both. I always check both as availability and pricing can be cheaper with one vs the other.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

I signed up for Lyft two weeks ago for some time sensitive trips. You don’t need to have the app, they communicate with you by email and text. They ask you to send them a picture so the driver can identify you. I don’t know if that is required but I didn’t do that.

I booked two rides with Lyft a few days in advance. One was accepted. The other they said they would send me a reminder when to book it. The first trip time arrived without a reminder from them so I made other arrangements. A few hours after my trip time I received a reminder from Lyft.

The second trip time arrived and they canceled on me five minutes before saying they “encountered a payment issue.” For what it’s worth, which may be nothing.

Now I use a private car service where it’s the same four vetted drivers rather than a different person each time, they know my driving route preferences and I just have to call them (like, on the telephone…) when I need a ride. I haven’t tried Uber yet.
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Anymore, I have found the quantity of available drivers is significantly less. I need to use both apps just to find the closer and cheaper driver.
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

I have found them both to be more expensive and somewhat less reliable/consistent than a few years ago, but still definitely better than taxi service was in our area. Uber in particular seems to go into "surge" pricing at 2X or 3X normal for trips home from the airport, so I lean towards using lyft for that.
bberris

Post by bberris »

Go with whatever gives you a cheaper price, or a faster arrival, whichever is more important to you. Many drivers work for both, so you get the same car on average.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

I’ve never used Lyft, but I routinely use Uber worldwide. I’ve had almost zero issues with it with in over ten years of using it (I can think of maybe three instances off hand where it was “bad”, but never unsafe).

Contrast that with random taxis, which are always a crapshoot.
Pierre-Simon Laplace’s original phrase for expected value was “mathematical hope.”
RJC

Post by RJC »

It's good practice to use both. Sometimes Lyft is more and other times Uber is (surge pricing).

Drivers jump back and forth with both on most occasions.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

Both plus taxi. Depending on situation, any of the three could be the cheapest. You have to know your routes and costs, especially airport service. Taxi can be much cheaper during any sort of surge situation.
rage_phish

Post by rage_phish »

I almost always use Uber
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

We mostly use Lyft in the SF Bay Area, but I have both apps on my phone.

Through the years and across the US I've had good luck with each of the services. I've read various comments about how one is better or worse than the other, or how tips or other payments are dispersed.

The other thing I find is that many drivers have both Uber and Lyft decals on their windshields and drive for both. I like using the app--you can follow the driver's progress toward your location on a little map on your phone. That's cool!

I only had one bad experience when a car picked us up at the cruise terminal in San Francisco, and then the driver refused to take us over the Bay Bridge because of "traffic." I reported him. We soon got another driver who was very polite and accommodating. Most are.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
ILnative

Post by ILnative »

Don't forget about taxis as well - depending on where you are. I fly fairly frequently to PHX and with surge pricing - a good old fashioned taxi is many times cheaper and you can walk right up and get one immediately so it ends up being faster and cheaper- and they know where they are going - I was finding that many times I was having to coach Lyft/uber drivers on getting out of the airport and where to go - even though they have the app talking to them telling them the route (which isn't always correct or optimized).
rocket354

Post by rocket354 »

I've used both quite a bit. A few years ago, Lyft was regularly cheaper and just as reliable or moreso. Recently, however, that has reversed. I've had Lyft drivers cancel on my at the last second the last few times. I have a 5.0 rating, so it isn't that, but what I think happens is they don't see the destination until they pick you up, so I'll see the driver has noted a "pickup" when he's a block away (presumably to see the destination) then suddenly the screen resets and it's asking me if I want to schedule a ride and where I want to go--that is, the driver canceled. Uber, according to my recent driver, allows drivers to see the destination so annoyances like that should be less common. Uber has also been cheaper more frequently the last year or so, with Lyft more expensive sometimes by a whole number multiple, 2X-3X.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

ILnative wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:16 am Don't forget about taxis as well - depending on where you are. I fly fairly frequently to PHX and with surge pricing - a good old fashioned taxi is many times cheaper and you can walk right up and get one immediately
There are other reasons to use something like Uber besides price
Pierre-Simon Laplace’s original phrase for expected value was “mathematical hope.”
illumination

Post by illumination »

I'll toggle back and forth to just keep it honest, sometimes there is a huge difference.

In my experience though, Lyft always seemed way more "sketchy" with their drivers and cars. Maybe it's just a regional thing in my area. So I usually default to Uber.

I have noticed prices have gone up an insane amount from just 2 years ago.
Prokofiev

Post by Prokofiev »

In our area, Lyft is often 10-20% cheaper than Uber for the same ride. Not always, but usually. Many of the drivers here,
do both Lyft and Uber.

If you are using the Sapphire Reserve credit card for Lyft, you receive 10X points = minimum 15% discount vs 4.5% for Uber.

So we probably save 20-25% by using Lyft. And taxis are often higher than both. Last night Lyft to jazz club = $16.50.
Uber was $19. I had to take a taxi returning = $22.50.

But from the airport Friday, taxi =$36, Lyft = $89 and Uber $99. Check all and do the math.
Last edited by Prokofiev on Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler - Einstein
Prokofiev

Post by Prokofiev »

illumination wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:09 pm
Compared to what? My groceries are up about 25% over 2 years.
Gas prices? Car prices? Rental car prices? All up big time.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler - Einstein
illumination

Post by illumination »

Prokofiev wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:49 pm
illumination wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:09 pm
Compared to what? My groceries are up about 25% over 2 years.
Gas prices? Car prices? Rental car prices? All up big time.

I have seen a 100-200% increase in prices with Uber.

Same trip a couple years ago to the airport was like $20 - $25, now it's $60+.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I can't remember seeing an Uber car that doesn't also do Lyft. I suppose some drivers only do one, but having both would certainly increase their riders, I would think.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

Uber recently experienced a substantial data breach. Password resets are recommended.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

I prefer Lyft because they often have those cool color coded lights on the dashboard so I can see them coming 😉
Seriously - before COVID I used both worldwide weekly throughout the major US citied and Some Uber international as I was on nearly continuous business travel. For a while I had troubles with Uber then much better experience with Lyft but then had some trouble there and switched back to Uber. Most of the issues didn't seem to recur frequently and I have seen no issues recently (although still nor traveling as much as I used to). They are pretty much interchangeable now - load up both and if the rate seems high flip to the other to compare. Years ago they seemed to be 50% to 75% of a similar taxi ride - that no longer seems to be the case.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

I prefer Lyft, think it’s a bit cheaper. Most drivers are involved with both services.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 11 years 😀
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Not a frequent rider but I only use Lyft when I do. I don't like Uber's company culture, at least in the past.
US & FM (5% seed) | 350K Cash
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

Marseille07 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:26 pm Not a frequent rider but I only use Lyft when I do. I don't like Uber's company culture, at least in the past.
People say this but literally every Uber driver I’ve posed the question to says they either “like” or “love” driving for Uber. It’s been dozens at least. Work when and where they want, zero questions asked. Via surge pricing make more money at the least desirable work times.

They could just be acting polite to a customer, but it’s probably more on the ground data than any magazine or newspaper articles

That’s just my take though
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

ScubaHogg wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:45 pm
Marseille07 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:26 pm Not a frequent rider but I only use Lyft when I do. I don't like Uber's company culture, at least in the past.
People say this but literally every Uber driver I’ve posed the question to says they either “like” or “love” driving for Uber. It’s been dozens at least. Work when and where they want, zero questions asked. Via surge pricing make more money at the least desirable work times.

They could just be acting polite to a customer, but it’s probably more on the ground data than any magazine or newspaper articles

I wasn't talking about the working condition of the drivers though. It was more along the lines of this: https://www.business-humanrights.org/en ... imination/
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

Marseille07 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:47 pm

I wasn't talking about the working condition of the drivers though. It was more along the lines of this: https://www.business-humanrights.org/en ... imination/
Seems like he was basically forced to quit…so the system works?
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

ScubaHogg wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:49 pm

Not really:
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/10/tech ... ities.html
https://www.npr.org/2020/10/26/92785128 ... uit-claims
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

Taxi services in the US have apps these days-- you can call a car and track its progress with your phone, and a professional driver will show up.
My postings represent my opinion, and never should be construed as a recommendation to buy, sell, or hold any particular investment.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

Northern Flicker wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:54 pm Taxi services in the US have apps these days-- you can call a car and track its progress with your phone, and a professional driver will show up.
Yeah, but Uber is one app everywhere, not a series of different apps. If you go to one city or place, fine. But if your travel is widespread…
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

Marseille07 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:51 pm
ScubaHogg wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:49 pm

Not really:
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/10/tech ... ities.html
https://www.npr.org/2020/10/26/92785128 ... uit-claims
I mean, you do you. But if you search “lawsuit” and “literally any decent size company” you will find stuff. Be tough to live in the world not interacting with any large organizations of any kind
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

ScubaHogg wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:26 am I mean, you do you. But if you search “lawsuit” and “literally any decent size company” you will find stuff. Be tough to live in the world not interacting with any large organizations of any kind
You're taking it way out of context. I didn't say I don't do business with large corporations because they're all sued in some way.

I merely stated that I don't like Uber's culture, and given the topic of thread, I only use Lyft. I explained my reasoning. That's pretty much it.
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

ScubaHogg wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:24 am
Northern Flicker wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:54 pm Taxi services in the US have apps these days-- you can call a car and track its progress with your phone, and a professional driver will show up.
Yeah, but Uber is one app everywhere, not a series of different apps. If you go to one city or place, fine. But if your travel is widespread…
That's why the web was invented-- so you don't have to configure separate apps on a client machine for every separate service you wish to use.
My postings represent my opinion, and never should be construed as a recommendation to buy, sell, or hold any particular investment.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

Marseille07 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:26 am
ScubaHogg wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:26 am I mean, you do you. But if you search “lawsuit” and “literally any decent size company” you will find stuff. Be tough to live in the world not interacting with any large organizations of any kind
You're taking it way out of context. I didn't say I don't do business with large corporations because they're all sued in some way.

I merely stated that I don't like Uber's culture, and given the topic of thread, I only use Lyft. I explained my reasoning. That's pretty much it.
:sharebeer
maulermark

Post by maulermark »

After a couple of horrible experiences with Uber Eats, I deleted all Uber apps and only use Lyft now.
tfunk

Post by tfunk »

Agree with others - check both.
When we returned to LAX this past June, four people were waiting at the Uber pick up area and about 50 were at Lyft.
Uber to our home was $85; Lyft was $45. We decided to wait for Lyft for about 15 minutes. Hard to believe the price difference.
tj

Post by tj »

ILnative wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:16 am Don't forget about taxis as well - depending on where you are. I fly fairly frequently to PHX and with surge pricing - a good old fashioned taxi is many times cheaper and you can walk right up and get one immediately so it ends up being faster and cheaper- and they know where they are going - I was finding that many times I was having to coach Lyft/uber drivers on getting out of the airport and where to go - even though they have the app talking to them telling them the route (which isn't always correct or optimized).
You've found taxis more cost efficient in Phoenix?