Best Place to Kayak Lake Tahoe

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
OpenMinded1

Best Place to Kayak Lake Tahoe

Post by OpenMinded1 »

Wife and I will be going on vacation out west in early October, and plan to spend some time in the Lake Tahoe area. Looking for advice concerning kayaking there. For example, where's the best place on the Lake to kayak? We will be renting them. Don't want the hassle of getting our own on the plane. :D
MrDrinkingWater

Re: Best Place to Kayak Lake Tahoe

Post by MrDrinkingWater »

Are you going to be on the south shore or the north shore? Maybe renting your kayaks near Camp Richardson would work out well for you if you are on the South Lake Tahoe end of the lake.

If you are up on the north shore side of Lake Tahoe, kayaking Emerald Bay is nice.

Have a great vacation!
Topic Author
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

MrDrinkingWater wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:02 pm Are you going to be on the south shore or the north shore? Maybe renting your kayaks near Camp Richardson would work out well for you if you are on the South Lake Tahoe end of the lake.

If you are up on the north shore side of Lake Tahoe, kayaking Emerald Bay is nice.

Have a great vacation!
The hotel we're staying at will be in South Lake Tahoe, but we plan to make a loop all the way around the Lake, and are willing to go wherever the kayaking is best. By "best" I mainly mean the most scenic.
dandinsac

Post by dandinsac »

We really enjoyed kayaking from Sand Harbor on the Nevada side. It was great to see the huge rocks fifty feet deep in the crystal clear water. We went early in the morning.
Tribonian

Post by Tribonian »

I’d follow the Rubicon trail from Emerald Bay to DL Bliss or vice versa.
CFOKevin

Post by CFOKevin »

I'll second Sand Harbor for kayaking at whatever time of day that the weather works for you. The rocks are amazing there. Later (or earlier) in your loop you can walk the trail down to Emerald Bay.
Topic Author
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

My wife said there are clear kayaks available. Has anybody tried them? Should we get one of those instead of a regular one?
Topic Author
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

CFOKevin wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:21 pm I'll second Sand Harbor for kayaking at whatever time of day that the weather works for you. The rocks are amazing there. Later (or earlier) in your loop you can walk the trail down to Emerald Bay.
This is probably what we will do. Thanks to you, and the others that responded.
FrugalPerson

Post by FrugalPerson »

I usually rent a kayak from Baldwin Beach and follow the shore into Emerald Bay to the island. It would take you about 3 hours to complete.
jbuzolich

Post by jbuzolich »

OpenMinded1 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:08 am My wife said there are clear kayaks available. Has anybody tried them? Should we get one of those instead of a regular one?
Our 11 year old son just did the clear kayaks this week with my mom and stepdad while visiting before school starts again. They loved it.