How to say "No" for an extended warranty?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
BogleMelon

How to say "No" for an extended warranty?

Post by BogleMelon »

I am about to buy a new Forester (expected delivery is this months), and I am planning to refuse any extras the dealership would offer (extended warranties, glass coverage...etc) with the exception of the Starlink subscription.
I had once before got into a debate with the finance guy with another car purchase about the extended warranty, I didn't buy the warranty as well, but I got a judgmental look from him as if I am crazy to not buying it (or probably was a sales tactic from him...).
Anyways, I don't plan to waste much time on this, and was wondering what would be the best approach and strategy to not only refuse the product but also to avoid him pushing more and waste my time, or worse to trigger him to tell me any unwelcomed judgmental sentence or gesture, all while being polite enough.
How did you say "no" in those situations before, and what were the financial manager "salesman" usual reaction, and how did you deal with that reaction?
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
psteinx

Re: How to say "No" for an extended warranty?

Post by psteinx »

"No."
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

Don't live your life trying to please or get the approval of salesmen or finance guys.

It's a very expensive habit to have.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Not "No", but "Hell NO"
CloseEnough

Post by CloseEnough »

In the context of hostile take overs, I have received advice about how to say no in a clear, unambiguous manner, but it would likely violate forum rules.

So, I would just say no. Firmly. I suppose if it is not accepted you can make it clear that if the discussion does not end, you will walk out the door, if you have not yet signed the contract.
Last edited by CloseEnough on Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lykko

Post by Lykko »

Saying no to buy-up sales pitches is the one time that I feel it is acceptable to be blatantly rude to a salesperson.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

how about "What part of 'No' don't you understand?"

by the way, extended warranties for cars aren't always a bad deal, but if you want one only buy one from the manufacturer. Don't ever get a 3rd party extended warranty. you'll regret it.
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

1. You don't want to get into a discussion. You don't need to provide your reasons.

2. If you have an out-the-door price (which you should) one way to avoid discussion is to arrive with a cashier's check for the exact amount.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

A single stern "no" has always worked for me. On only one occasion has that not sufficed; in that case, my wife laughed and then pulled out her phone to record the ensuing discussion - she's well aware I am all but impossible to "sell". I simply asked the finance guy why he thought I should buy a vehicle that the seller did not have confidence would be relatively trouble-free for the first 7yrs or 70k miles (or whatever the extended warranty was)? If he was telling me he had little confidence in the reliability of the car, I would walk away right now...After asking my wife to put the phone down, he stopped.

On the review I made it very clear that the financing manager was rude.
Last edited by stoptothink on Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 »

Maybe tell the salesman that you have no interest in meeting the finance guy.
Topic Author
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:54 am

by the way, extended warranties for cars aren't always a bad deal, but if you want one only buy one from the manufacturer. Don't ever get a 3rd party extended warranty. you'll regret it.
But how will I know or evaluate whether the deal is a good one? According to Subaru forums, it would cost around $1700-$2000 (sometimes more) for the extended manufacturer warranty that include almost everything till year 7 or 8 (don't remember exactly) or 100K miles
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
Topic Author
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

FRANK2009 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:55 am Maybe tell the salesman that you have no interest in meeting the finance guy.
Is that even possible?
Topic Author
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

stoptothink wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:55 am If he was telling me he had little confidence in the reliability of the car, I would walk away right now..
I think that won't work in today's market. In today's market, they would welcome me walking out the door. They have a long line already waiting for a car.
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

BogleMelon wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:00 pm But how will I know or evaluate whether the deal is a good one? According to Subaru forums, it would cost around $1700-$2000 (sometimes more) for the extended manufacturer warranty that include almost everything till year 7 or 8 (don't remember exactly) or 100K miles
It isn't*.

Don't spend too many brainwaves thinking about it.

* OK, yes, on a rainy day with a blue moon in the month of June, in years evenly divisible by 137, it MIGHT be an OK deal. But actually, no, it's not a good deal. Just don't worry about it.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

BogleMelon wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:00 pm

But how will I know or evaluate whether the deal is a good one? According to Subaru forums, it would cost around $1700-$2000 (sometimes more) for the extended manufacturer warranty that include almost everything till year 7 or 8 (don't remember exactly) or 100K miles
Don't even try to guess.

Choose a vehicle with a reputation for decent reliability. Decline all additional warranties.

Think of it as gambling. Bad idea to buy lottery tickets or go to Vegas. But gambling on no extra warranty for a reliable vehicle- you know on average you will be ahead.

Now if you are really on the edge financially and you really can't deal with any unexpected expense and you really need this car but not another a bit cheaper- OK, then try to find the "good" warranty.
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

BogleMelon wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:03 pm
FRANK2009 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:55 am Maybe tell the salesman that you have no interest in meeting the finance guy.
Is that even possible?
No, not really. Yes, the finance guys do the paperwork. Just say no to all the add-ons he tries to sell you.
oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy »

BogleMelon wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:00 pm

If you have any interest in the Subaru extended warranty, 1) you don't need to buy it now, so 2) shop around from other dealers online. At the time I looked at them, Grand Subaru in the Chicago area was offering the best price, but that may have changed in the past 9 years.

Just one data point - I didn't buy one, and would not have used it during the extended warranty period.
Atgard

Post by Atgard »

The best tip I know of (other than the basics of being firm) is not to give reasons or get into a discussion about it. They are trained to have a rebuttal ready for any reason you can provide. So just repeating "No, I don't want it" or something equally straightforward doesn't give them a foothold to debate you.
Chip Munk

Post by Chip Munk »

Just say "no". If you offer any reasons why you don't want it, you provide the sales person with opportunities to offer counter arguments. I've found the best way to cut these unpleasant interactions short is to offer no reasons for my decision.

One time when I was really pressed by a sales person about something extra I did not want, I said "My answer is no. It will not change. You would be better off not wasting any more time with me and moving on to another customer who might be interested." He actually seemed grateful that I made it clear I wasn't holding out for a sweeter offer and that it was best to wrap things up at that point.
mhc

Post by mhc »

Don't hesitate or show any doubt. Say no as soon as his sentence ends. I usually say up front that I do not want anything extra. I make it extremely clear that I am going to say no to everything.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Your last finance guy was rude. This next one may not be. Don't go looking for a problem before it even exists.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

BogleMelon wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:04 pm
stoptothink wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:55 am If he was telling me he had little confidence in the reliability of the car, I would walk away right now..
I think that won't work in today's market. In today's market, they would welcome me walking out the door. They have a long line already waiting for a car.
You think the finance manager is willing to let a sale walk because a buyer won't buy an extended warranty? Also, if that were the case, they'd simply bake the cost of the extended warranty into the cost from the get-go and not even bother offering an extended warranty in exchange for the ADM.

I bought one of the hottest cars on the market in May (Ford Maverick hybrid - the dealer offered me $5k over my OTD price on the spot - I can easily sell it for $10k more than that right now). When I told the finance manager no on the extended warranty, he didn't ask again.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

No! :annoyed :thumbsdown
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

retiredjg wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:10 pm Your last finance guy was rude. This next one may not be. Don't go looking for a problem before it even exists.
While maybe "rude", he is probably significantly financially incentivized to sell the extended warranty. So he pushed it.

A firm "no" seems like the right answer to me. Don't get engaged on the topic, he is perhaps a great salesman who can work his magic on you.
Rdytoretire

Post by Rdytoretire »

By refusing extended warranties on any products, including cars. that I have purchased over many years. I can easily pay for even major repairs out of pocket and still come out way ahead.

I can't recall ever saying to myself. "I wish I had purchased the extended warranty".

Even when a vehicle is under warranty, extended or not, dealerships often fail to properly diagnose and fix problems.
Last edited by Rdytoretire on Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

I don’t know about Subaru, but you can buy the Honda extended warranty from any Honda dealership. There are a few Honda dealerships online that sell the Honda extended warranty far cheaper than list price (1/2 to 1/3 the list price). I knew the price being offered online and when I bought my car and was pitched the extended warranty, I told them I need them to match the price of the online seller. Of course they can’t/won’t do that so that’s the end of the discussion.

If you’re paying cash for the car, they lose the argument of “it’s only $20/mo more!” since there’s no payment to add onto.

Of course, “No, thank you.” works as well.
Last edited by Jags4186 on Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

Is that even possible?
I highly recommend listening to this episode, "129 cars," from This American Life. It's a behind-the-scenes at a car dealership, at the end of the month, and shows up on lists of all-time best episodes.

The "finance guy" is the real salesperson, where all the money is made. Don't let their title deceive you, but this is where you have to be on guard.

If you do buy, keep in mind you can buy the warranty separately from any dealership. When I bought my Camry in 2019, the finance guy tried to sell me the Toyota Platinum warranty for $2400 and eventually lowered it to
$1075
. That gives you an indication of how much profit margin is built into this "product."
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

It's easy. Just keep politely repeating "No". You don't need to give a reason or an excuse. You can redirect the conversation after saying "No" for the 3rd time and every other time you have to say "No." after that.

Treat it like sayinng "no" isn't giving a challenge for the other person to badger you into saying Yes. Or that it requires an acceptable excuse or reason for why you are saying "No". And if you are a woman, you aren;t an ungrateful cold b!tch for turning down the extend warranty salesman's offer repeatedly.

FWIW: when someone needs and excuse when I say "no" or decline something - I usually come up with something weird:
No, I can't go out with you on Friday night - I will be doing a prune cleanse and expect to be in the bathroom all night.
or No, I don't want to buy that geegaw - I've got a drain snake that can do the same thing. (doesn't matter what the geegaw is...)
or No, I can't do X for you - I've got my hands full reversing the polarity of the flux capacitor on the warp engine in my basement.

Can you tell -- that the fact that No doesn't mean No OR that it's NOT ok to say No annoys me????? I have no idea who came up with the etiquette thing where saying "No." is BAD.
Last edited by LittleMaggieMae on Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

When you walk into the room, say “I decline any add on warranties”.

If the finance guy offers you something, repeat. Over and over again.
Retired life insurance company financial officer who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
Topic Author
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

LittleMaggieMae wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:26 pm
FWIW: when someone needs and excuse when I say "no" or decline something - I usually come up with something weird:

Lol! That was a good advice. I only wish that English was my native language so I could have done this confidently :D
Topic Author
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

random_walker_77 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:25 pm
Is that even possible?
I highly recommend listening to this episode, "129 cars," from This American Life. It's a behind-the-scenes at a car dealership, at the end of the month, and shows up on lists of all-time best episodes.

The "finance guy" is the real salesperson, where all the money is made. Don't let their title deceive you, but this is where you have to be on guard.

If you do buy, keep in mind you can buy the warranty separately from any dealership. When I bought my Camry in 2019, the finance guy tried to sell me the Toyota Platinum warranty for $2400 and eventually lowered it to
$1075
. That gives you an indication of how much profit margin is built into this "product."
Wow ($1075 from $2400)!!
I am listening to the podcast now, thanks!
Rdytoretire

Post by Rdytoretire »

BogleMelon wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:30 pm

Lol! That was a good advice. I only wish that English was my native language so I could have done this confidently :D
In that case look at them like you don't understand a word of what they are saying.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

This is an interesting thread in human interaction. Isn't it? Yes, it is. No, it isn't.

If they add it to the contract, then cross it out and make them type up a new document.

Or say, Yes, then cross it out when they add it and say "I was just playing with you. I don't want it."
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

A polite "No, thank you" works too. Or "No, Thank you. How about that weather we're having?" The redirect works well.

I would think a polite "No." perhaps repeatedly, will get you passed the things you don't want to buy as part of your car purchase. The being polite thing is important. :)
afan

Post by afan »

Maybe I am fiving them too much credit but I suspect the they estimate the likelihood of getting you to pay for expensive extras when they give you a price. To them, it is "price PLUS all the extras we can get this sucker to buy." Particularly now, that may be a meaningful part of the salesperson's expected compensation.

I realize it has been a long time since anyone tried to sell me an extended warranty or other add ons. Perhaps because it has been a long time since I bought a new car. Perhaps because I make it clear that I am paying cash and not even interested in discussing financing.

I agree with not discussing it at all. "Let me tell you about our great extended warranty." "Don't bother, I just want the car, no add ons." If they try to continue discussing tell them "No. Let's not waste time on something I am not going to buy."
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama
Topic Author
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

Rdytoretire wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:33 pm

In that case look at them like you don't understand a word of what they are saying.
That cracked me up :D :D Thanks for the good laugh!!
WillRetire

Post by WillRetire »

Say no thank you. If they press, say no and look at your watch. If they press again, ask will this take much longer because you have a doctor's appt in 15 min. and can they please speed this up.

It is a shame that the car buying experience is so juvenile and unpleasant.

By the way, use the same approach to decline all those coatings on upholstery and paint.
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

afan wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:39 pm Maybe I am fiving them too much credit but I suspect the they estimate the likelihood of getting you to pay for expensive extras when they give you a price.
Oh, I'm sure they absolutely do that. Keep in mind that dealerships make very little on new cars (used cars are a completely different story). So they rely on profitable add-ons like fabric treatments, extended warranties, trade-ins, and financing to pay for their overhead. The salespeople are low level employees whose job is to get you to an acceptable number and into the finance manager's office. At that point, you're thinking that you've got a price and are done, but for the dealership, that was just the warmup and the game is about to begin...

Also, keep in mind that some salespeople (i.e. finance managers) are trained to get at least 3 "No"s before moving on, and are evaluated on this. Sometimes, it helps to provide those No's in an expedited fashion, as the employee isn't allowed to proceed without getting those "No"'s.
newyorker

Post by newyorker »

galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

psteinx wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:48 am "No."
I always like to respond with kindness and courtesy. "No, thank you" would be my preferred response. If asked/pressed gain, I would respond, "I said..no, thank you. Let's conclude this transaction on the terms we've agreed to now, my time is valuable." A third time would result in my standing up and leaving. :beer
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

No. If the manufacturer won't stand behind their product, why would you ask me to?

Cheers.
Candor

Post by Candor »

As a young man my ex signed us up for a timeshare sales pitch that was a half day ordeal in a foreign country. Of course, it was high pressure along with plenty of judgemental looks and words while cheering and celebrating the folks who were 'smart' enough to recognize such a great deal when they see it. :D

My wife felt guilty about it because the organization had paid for part or all of our expenses for this mini-vacation (I don't remember the specifics and my wife at the time handled it) and she was falling for their tactics. They had several levels of sales pitch to endure before you could extricate yourself from the compound with each getting more high pressure and less friendly from one person to the next. I've never said "'thank you but we're not interested" and "we'll think about it" so much in my life. They were just trying to earn a commission/bonus and put food on their table so I never took it personally. Saying no to subsequent sales pitches has been a piece of cake after that experience and has been a valuable life skill.

They won't take it personally when you say 'no' because they've heard it a thousand times, so you shouldn't either and if they do try to feign some sort of judgemental gesture just know it's all part of the game.
Last edited by Candor on Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Epicurus (341–270 BC)
ZapRowsdower

Post by ZapRowsdower »

"No thank you" followed by an unpleasantly long period of staring at them. If they keep talking, another no followed by more staring. This worked for me, and it was fun to see their reaction.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Just keep repeating, "Thank you, but not interested."

Do not get into a "debate". Do not explain yourself, just keep repeating the above line. If they persist, "Look, I'm really not interested and if this is a deal-breaker for your dealership, I can go elsewhere."
Last edited by Big Dog on Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

galawdawg wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:50 pm
psteinx wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:48 am "No."
I always like to respond with kindness and courtesy. "No, thank you" would be my preferred response. If asked/pressed gain, I would respond, "I said..no, thank you. Let's conclude this transaction on the terms we've agreed to now, my time is valuable." A third time would result in my standing up and leaving. :beer

Sure, in a situation where I've clearly voluntarily entered into a transaction with a salesperson, I may add a "thank you" to my first refusal. Probably not to my 2nd. And minimal excessive verbiage beyond that. No need to come up with a legitimate or manufactured excuse. Nothing to extend the conversation.

"No thank you, I'm not interested."
"Can you tell me why're you're not interested? This is great because of blah blah blah."
"No, I said I'm not interested".

Fairly rapid escalation in brusqueness beyond that. I'm not trying to make the salesman my friend, or let him down easy or whatever. (Nor is he trying to be my friend.)
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I'm more than half serious about this.

I was once told that (some) salespeople are literally trained to count the number of times they hear the word "no," and not stop pressing until they hear "no" seven times. He said that you can cut them off by saying "No no no no no no no." Because "then they've got their seven 'noes' and they will stop."

On one occasion I literally tried this. Salesperson said, "Boy, you're really negative about this" and stopped.

I haven't been able to muster the nerve to do this again, but I'd used a modified version, which is to continue the conversation as politely as possible but begin every sentence with the word "no."

"Don't you want the peace of mind of knowing you're protected against expensive repairs?"
"No, I think we'll be OK without it."
"If you don't opt for this coverage now, you may not be able to get later."
"No, we don't care about that."

This has led to their giving up. I can't verify that it is literally after seven "noes." It doesn't require being unpleasant, just keep saying "no" patiently until they give up. It has worked, with a minimum of social discomfort.
Last edited by nisiprius on Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
bikechuck

Post by bikechuck »

I once had a Finance Guy that did not want to take "NO" for an answer. I finally took my watch off, set it on his table and told him that I knew that he was doing his job and that I would give him two more minutes to make his best case and that after that two minutes was up the answer would still be "NO". If he persisted after that final "NO" I would buy the car elsewhere. At that point he backed off and completed the paperwork without any back room extras.
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

I have an out-the-door price already confirmed.

When I walk into the finance bullpen, I shake hands, say hello, and say "FYI, Salesguy and I have a confirmed OTD price, and I am declining any add-ons such as extended warranties or paint protection policies."

By laying it out before I ever sit down, it moves them through the BS quickly. They do ask again, as they spin over the document, and I simply repeat that I am declining all add ons.

They then tell me that I should finance, instead of paying out ALL THAT CASH. I smile and decline that as well.

My last two purchases (2009 and 2019) had me out of the finance office within ~10 minutes, with no unpleasantness.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Just say no and do not engage them.

They are trained to overcome objections so just say no without giving them a reason.

If you want you can say that you already talked it over with a spouse, boyfriend, girlfriends, parent, friends, or some other mythical person and that you agreed with them that you would not buy any of the addons and they would be upset with you if you bought any of those. The other person is not there so they cannot argue with them. This would even sort of be true since we are all sort of your friends. :D

I bought a Forester a bit over a year ago and it was no big deal.

They still needed to go through their spiel of extended warranties, maintenance plans, etc. just so that you could not later claim that you were never offered them when you have a problem. As long as they are not pushy do not be upset that they are offering you that junk, they would lose their job if they did not.

They asked me to initial some paperwork saying that I decline them. Be sure to read what you are signing but as I recall it was clear that I was declining it. That part only took about ten minutes and the guy mostly looked bored since we both knew that I was not going to buy anything and that his time would be better spent doing something else.

Just FYI, even if you wanted the extended warranty there is no good reason to buy one now since you can buy one at any time until your full warranty expires. You can also buy it for less from some other dealership but I think Subaru limits that to dealers in your state.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

No
No
No
and No