Goodman AC condenser and coil

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
manuvns

Goodman AC condenser and coil

Post by manuvns »

it's time to replace my AC and coil , I see goodman systems being sold for lower price compared to the other leading brands does anyone had any experience with thse systems , i am being quoted 1500-1750$ to replace AC condenser and coils ( 3 TON straight air ) , is this a fail price ?
Thanks!
tibbitts

Re: Googman AC condenser and coil

Post by tibbitts »

manuvns wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:04 pm it's time to replace my AC and coil , I see goodman systems being sold for lower price compared to the other leading brands does anyone had any experience with thse systems , i am being quoted 1500-1750$ to replace AC condenser and coils ( 3 TON straight air ) , is this a fail price ?
No, it's way below a fair price. Jump on that while the contractor is still in business.
sc9182

Post by sc9182 »

For a major repair to AC - for under $2000 is reasonable/fair price.

Googman/Goodman is a decent brand
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

sc9182 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:10 pm For a major repair to AC - for under $2000 is reasonable/fair price.

Googman/Goodman is a decent brand
Except it's not a repair, it's a replacement. But as you point out if the new condenser has a "Googman" label on it, that might explain the price.
fundseeker

Re: Goodman AC condenser and coil

Post by fundseeker »

manuvns wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:04 pm it's time to replace my AC and coil , I see goodman systems being sold for lower price compared to the other leading brands does anyone had any experience with thse systems , i am being quoted 1500-1750$ to replace AC condenser and coils ( 3 TON straight air ) , is this a fail price ?
That looks like it’s too good to be true, and might be the price of just the coil. I’d definitely get it in writing and check reviews and references, and get a second quote for comparison.
carne_asada

Post by carne_asada »

The difference between Goodman and other brands is that anyone can purchase and install Goodman. The Carriers/Lennox ect.. of the world certify/train their installers and don't let just anyone install the equipment. The quality of the install matters just as much as the equipment.
Topic Author
manuvns

Post by manuvns »

fundseeker wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:49 pm
That looks like it’s too good to be true, and might be the price of just the coil. I’d definitely get it in writing and check reviews and references, and get a second quote for comparison.

The prices for coil and condenser is additional 2200-2300$ , install is 1500$ to 1750$
Thanks!
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

carne_asada wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:08 pm The difference between Goodman and other brands is that anyone can purchase and install Goodman. The Carriers/Lennox ect.. of the world certify/train their installers and don't let just anyone install the equipment. The quality of the install matters just as much as the equipment.
There seem to be a few other well-known names available online, including York and Rheem, plus some lesser-known brands. But as you say many of the major brands don't seem to be available directly to consumers.
Topic Author
manuvns

Post by manuvns »

I got the system from hvac direct and few others are selling them online including Amazon resellers
Thanks!
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

manuvns wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:49 pm I got the system from hvac direct and few others are selling them online including Amazon resellers
Yes, apparently not an issue with Goodman/Amana or the others I mentioned. However it wouldn't surprise me if there are Bogleheads who have figured out how to buy most of the other brands direct as well.
MadDwag

Post by MadDwag »

Goodman is a builder brand that essentially cobbles together additional inventory from other manufacturers to make a complete system. Can be a nightmare later on trying to find replacement parts. Also can lead to issues with parts not exactly playing well together. Good luck with warranty claims as well.
London

Post by London »

I had a very poor experience with Goodman in my first house. I replaced with Lennox and had zero issues. When it come time to buy five units for my next house, I didn’t consider Goodman despite the fact it would have saved me thousands.

Just anecdotal though. Could be completely fine for some.
59Gibson

Post by 59Gibson »

Goodman is certainly fine, the install is the most important aspect of HVAC. Truly isn't much of a difference between brands. Some take pride in getting the top notch $ names but if it's not installed correctly, it really doesn't matter.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

Has anybody DIY'd a Goodman HVAC install without a 608 cert, I seem to remember the compressor comes reasonably charged on most systems.

Just curious before I go with a 16K install quote (Bryant), seems like I could DIY it for about 7K with a Goodman, hiring out the nat gas pipe fitter.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

Do you know how to do a triple evacuation on a heat pump? How about a triple evac with double sweep?

www.acservicetech.com/post/understandin ... cuuming%3F
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

MadDwag wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:43 pm Goodman is a builder brand that essentially cobbles together additional inventory from other manufacturers to make a complete system. Can be a nightmare later on trying to find replacement parts. Also can lead to issues with parts not exactly playing well together. Good luck with warranty claims as well.
This is the exact opposite of my experience with Goodman. I'd have a hard time justifying anything other than a Goodman at my house.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

Luke Duke wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:15 am
MadDwag wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:43 pm Goodman is a builder brand that essentially cobbles together additional inventory from other manufacturers to make a complete system. Can be a nightmare later on trying to find replacement parts. Also can lead to issues with parts not exactly playing well together. Good luck with warranty claims as well.
This is the exact opposite of my experience with Goodman. I'd have a hard time justifying anything other than a Goodman at my house.
As far as I know, the claim that they cobble together inventory from other manufacturers is false. Goodman has its own factory and makes its own designs. Through a series of transactions, they also ended up owning just the HVAC portion of Amana, and then were bought by Daikan and also manufacture some of that brands products.

The internet says they consolidated their US manufacturing in a new factory near Houston a few years ago.

That doesn't necessarily say anything about quality, though. My own Goodman heat pump had its condenser fan motor die in less than a year, and while replacing it, the installer said he was considering dropping the brand since he had seen an increase in issues in recent years. I've had a couple other issues since then. None of them were outrageous, but taken together, I'm not satisfied with the reliability. Right now, I'm troubleshooting the cause of a low voltage fuse blowing, and I find their documentation poor. I found multiple revisions of the electrical drawings for my model, without clear revision labels. Also, their drawing conventions are utterly confusing to me. They like to use non-standard symbols, and show wires going into black boxes without giving clear I formation what happens inside the box, making troubleshooting a challenge.

Keep in mind though, this is a decade old unit. It's definitely possible they had a short term quality lapse and addressed it. I also haven't compared the documentation quality for newer units.
dalbright

Post by dalbright »

Kagord wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:40 am Has anybody DIY'd a Goodman HVAC install without a 608 cert, I seem to remember the compressor comes reasonably charged on most systems.

Just curious before I go with a 16K install quote (Bryant), seems like I could DIY it for about 7K with a Goodman, hiring out the nat gas pipe fitter.
I mean the epa 608 isnt the biggest challenge, brazing the lineset/nitrogen probably is! Most outdoor units will indicate what lineset length they can handle without adding more refrigerant when sized with a suitable coil. DIY with mini-split or ducted mini splits are probably the most DIY friendly if reasonable for your goals, but still take a fair amount of skill/tools.
petras52

Post by petras52 »

I had a complete Goodman hvac system installed by an authorized dealer less than 2 years ago... Here's some excerpts from the warranty.." warranty does not apply to: units that are ordered over the internet....unless the unit is installed by a dealer adhering to all applicable federal, state, and local codes, and licensing requirements"..something to keep in mind when buying online is potential warranty claim issues... as far as the quality, my first system was still going strong after 20 years with just a $300 condenser motor failing at year 12...for higher efficiency I replaced with a 3.5 ton, 16 seer system for $3300 incl. coil and labor...96%, 80k btu gas furnace was $2200 more...as others mentioned, install quality is more important than the brand..
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

We've had a Goodman central AC for nearly 8 years now, and it's worked perfectly. I only wash out the condenser coils about annually.
I have left the forum but occasionally check PMs.
Haysnooze

Post by Haysnooze »

I live in a new neighborhood and they installed Goodman in all the houses. I can't tell you how many times I see the HVAC company out for service calls. We've had to call them several times. We have two units and they have replaced one of our unit's compressors already.
illumination

Post by illumination »

FWIW, the AC tech I've been using a while actually prefers Goodman to the other brands. He also they're a good value, simple and easy to get parts for. I had always had a low opinion of them. I knew another person in the trade and he also thought they were much better than their reputation and had made a lot of strides in quality. Their warranty seems better than the competition.

The brand has a reputation for being the "WalMart" of AC units, but I think much of that is they don't have a restrictive sales channel. Anyone can get one and so you probably have a lot of "handy man" installs that probably lead to issues. I think what the brand does though is shows just how much markup many places are putting on their installs.

One big thing on getting an AC unit installed, I'd insist on an outfit that's going to stand behind it and make it right if something goes wrong. Not some person that "dabbles" in this.
sc9182

Post by sc9182 »

willthrill81 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:19 pm We've had a Goodman central AC for nearly 8 years now, and it's worked perfectly. I only wash out the condenser coils about annually.
+1 (add 4 additional years of good working condition). Only thing we replaced - Capacitor or two ($10 - $20 part, but $140 AC-Tech labor :annoyed ) - I know a good BH would DIY - but, I would like to keep my hand in good working order - rather than worry to save a buck-or-two.
Haysnooze

Post by Haysnooze »

illumination wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:37 pm FWIW, the AC tech I've been using a while actually prefers Goodman to the other brands. He also they're a good value, simple and easy to get parts for. I had always had a low opinion of them. I knew another person in the trade and he also thought they were much better than their reputation and had made a lot of strides in quality. Their warranty seems better than the competition.

The brand has a reputation for being the "WalMart" of AC units, but I think much of that is they don't have a restrictive sales channel. Anyone can get one and so you probably have a lot of "handy man" installs that probably lead to issues. I think what the brand does though is shows just how much markup many places are putting on their installs.

One big thing on getting an AC unit installed, I'd insist on an outfit that's going to stand behind it and make it right if something goes wrong. Not some person that "dabbles" in this.
Maybe the skeptic in me, but seems like AC techs might prefer units they need to repair. If it is too good of a unit, they are out of work. Kind of like that gum commercial where they made too long of lasting gum so they put themselves out of business.
jello_nailer

Post by jello_nailer »

Luke Duke wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:15 am
Same here, I'm in Texas too, maybe 15 miles from Goodman/Daiken. Have a 5 ton and a 3 ton, and every house I have had here had Goodman. Previous house had a 3,3, and a 5T. never had any issues with claims, (few) or longevity.