Do you leave your Porch / Exterior lights on at night?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
capitalhockey

Do you leave your Porch / Exterior lights on at night?

Post by capitalhockey »

We live in a nice neighborhood that has low crime. I noticed half of my neighbors have their porch/exterior lights on and half are pitch black at night.

I read having lights on during the night will deter burglars from targeting your house - they will move on to another house that has no lights. I dont have anything super valuable that I am worry about losing....my home insurance will cover any material loss. I am more worried about encounters with a burglar that could turn violent or cause mental trauma to my family. (There's also a counter argument that exterior lights help burglars do their work at night....so who knows?)

I am looking to install some dawn to dusk LEDs bulbs on my porch light and on the exterior light in front of my garage/driveway. They cost about $1.50 each yearly in electricity usage so cost is low. The lights also help with the security cameras' picture quality. I have motion sensor lights in the side and back of my house.

Just curious how many BHs leave their lights on.
Last edited by capitalhockey on Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
nfs

Re: Do you leave your Porch / Exterior lights on at night?

Post by nfs »

We have lights on outside all our entries, as well as accenting areas of our yard. We are also a low crime area. We use led bulbs on a switch that will control on for dawn to dusk (Costco has a great pack of switches by Feit that can do thia right now)
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

capitalhockey wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:03 am We live in a nice neighborhood with that has low crime. I noticed half of my neighbors have their porch/exterior lights on and half are pitch black at night.

I read having lights on during the night will deter burglars from targeting your house - they will move on to another house that has no lights. I dont have anything super valuable that I am worry about losing....my home insurance will cover any material loss. I am more worried about encounters with a burglar that could turn violent or cause mental trauma to my family.

I am looking to install some dawn to dusk LEDs bulbs on my porch light and on the exterior light in front of my garage/driveway. They cost about $1.50 each yearly in electricity usage so cost is low. The lights also help with the security cameras' picture quality. I have motion sensor lights in the side and back of my house.

We do. Dusk to dawn timers. LED bulbs.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Our neighborhood sounds similar to yours.

We leave our lights on at night. So do our next door neighbors on our cul-de-sac.
Retired life insurance company financial officer who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

capitalhockey wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:03 am We live in a nice neighborhood with that has low crime. I noticed half of my neighbors have their porch/exterior lights on and half are pitch black at night.

I read having lights on during the night will deter burglars from targeting your house - they will move on to another house that has no lights. I dont have anything super valuable that I am worry about losing....my home insurance will cover any material loss. I am more worried about encounters with a burglar that could turn violent or cause mental trauma to my family.

For only $1.5/yr in electricity why not if it helps you sleep better at night?

I personally have LED lights on my porch that are on a timer, I usually set them for around sundown and 11pm. My neighbors seem to have something similar, no one leaves their lights on all night.

Could you put a motion sensor light on your porch?
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

I have landscape lighting around the perimeter of my home on dusk to dawn photosensors. These are not the “light up the entire house top to bottom” style lights but rather ground oriented lighting. Then I have lights on either side of my garage that light up the front of the house on a digital 7 day timer. This adjusts to the seasons and turns the lights on and off daily automatically. Finally, we have street lights that provide some additional lighting of the neighborhood.

p.s. Motion sensor flood lights at the back of the house as well.
Last edited by Kenkat on Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
capitalhockey

Post by capitalhockey »

anon_investor wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:11 am

I personally have LED lights on my porch that are on a timer, I usually set them for around sundown and 11pm. My neighbors seem to have something similar, no one leaves their lights on all night.

I am not looking to put motion sensor light on porch because I want lights to be on the whole night and make my house bright from the front side. Hope to deter burglar from evening choosing my house if they are passing by. The motion sensor light would make my house dark and only turn on if a burglar were to approach. I am hoping they don't choose my house in the first place.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

We have dimmable exterior LEDs that are left on timers with a dim setting on our three entryways. Not coincidentally our three exterior surveillance cameras are directed at the same entryways.
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

I have a 3 watt yellow light by the door that I leave on during winter. I don't usually use it during summer because bugs are attracted to it which makes a mess, and the days are long enough that I'm usually not coming home after dark.

Also have some motion activated LED floodlights. These are the ones which help deter criminals because they can alert the homeowner to movement.

Some people also keep an interior lamp on a timer. This can ward off people parked on the street trying to get the idea of your schedule. Or fake them out when you go on vacation and don't have any cars in your driveway.
worthit

Post by worthit »

Yes. For the same reasons you mention about this being a deterrent for unwelcome visitors.
JS-Elcano

Post by JS-Elcano »

I have lights on my garage that are on from dusk to dawn. I also have a light above my entryway that stays on all night, but I hate that it attracts a lot of insects and the frogs that eat them who all muck up my wood door and the windows :? Maybe I should a get a light that's less bright?
arf1410

Post by arf1410 »

My opinion is a change in lighting is more likely to discourage a nefarious character than the lighting itself. In other words, motion sensor lighting, that turns on when it detects motion.
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

JS-Elcano wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:30 am I have lights on my garage that are on from dusk to dawn. I also have a light above my entryway that stays on all night, but I hate that it attracts a lot of insects and the frogs that eat them who all muck up my wood door and the windows :? Maybe I should a get a light that's less bright?
Yellow, orange, red lights attract less bugs, but they will still attract some. Less brightness helps too. Bugs are most attracted by the bluer lights, including ultraviolet.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Be aware that your lights may also be shining at your neighbors house and at their bedrooms. One of our neighbors has some bright lights on their back porch that points at the back of our house. They do not leave them one all the time but a couple of times a year they will have them on and it is noticeable in our bedroom even through the blinds. It is not that bad, sort of like when there is a full moon but it would be annoying if it was on all the time.

If you do leave your lights on all the time then please make sure they are directional and do not shine off your property.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

No, there are already so many people around me lighting up the sky that I haven’t seen a star in years. I don’t want to contribute to that.

I do have motion detector lights in a couple of key locations, though.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

No, burglars breaking into my house while I'm at home is so remote it's not worth worrying about. I don't even always lock the back door while I'm away for a few hours.
Last edited by MrBobcat on Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

I literally never turn my off……

I’ve read in the past that the best deterrent by far is a dog.
Casper

Post by Casper »

Watty wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:43 am Be aware that your lights may also be shining at your neighbors house and at their bedrooms. One of our neighbors has some bright lights on their back porch that points at the back of our house. They do not leave them one all the time but a couple of times a year they will have them on and it is noticeable in our bedroom even through the blinds. It is not that bad, sort of like when there is a full moon but it would be annoying if it was on all the time.

If you do leave your lights on all the time then please make sure they are directional and do not shine off your property.
+1

If you have neighbors nearby, please be considerate and use directional lighting or something not that bright. Annoying to sit out at night and neighbors have floodlights spilling light onto my deck and other areas because they're scared of "burglars." Illuminating the entire front of your house so it's "bright" sounds like overkill to me. There's too much artificial light at night already.
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

MrBobcat wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:48 am No, burglars breaking into my house while I'm at home is so remote it's not worth worrying about. I don't even always lock the back door while I'm away for a few hours.
This is me, too. Part of the benefit of living in a safe neighborhood is the freedom to behave like you do.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Wanderingwheelz wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:54 am
MrBobcat wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:48 am No, burglars breaking into my house while I'm at home is so remote it's not worth worrying about. I don't even always lock the back door while I'm away for a few hours.
This is me, too. Part of the benefit of living in a safe neighborhood is the freedom to behave like you do.
Exactly. I live in the urban core of a large city, and the last time anyone I know was burglarized was in the 90’s. Local police crime stats agree with my perception. If I was spending a bunch of time worrying about crime, I think I would just move somewhere safer.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

We have a local area code for a minimum (code has a total lumens number) of low wattage shielded outdoor lights to preserve the night sky and cut ambient light.....although there are always those whose personal preferences and perceived need for glaring 100 watt bare bulbs takes priority over all others.

We have zero lights on at night. (And the whole milky way and night stars visible and glorious).

But that is just our area of private mini ranches...... in a quiet town 2-3 hours away from a big city and only a little ways away from “Lake Wobegone”..where all the.....

To OP:
As far as the relationship between exterior night lighting and home security (burglary, theft, etc, etc), there are a lot of other factors and/or elements that come into play when it comes to that. . . and the "allocation" of each. . .

j🌴
Last edited by Sandtrap on Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Wilderness Librarian

Post by Wilderness Librarian »

Lights off.

You might check your public library for:

The end of night: search for natural darkness in an age of artificial light / by Paul B. (can't read my own writing to give author's name). Its not new probably 8-10 yrs old. Author I believe interviewed former burglers gone clean who said outside lighting only made their work easier. Author gives compromises such as having shields over light deflecting light away from neighbors and entry points.
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

We live in a relatively dark sky area and try to help keep it that way. Lights on motion sensors are like strobe lights with the local wildlife wandering around the yard so we don't do that either. I do have infrared cameras in places and the dogs are pretty vocal. Still, anyone who wants in the house has their choice of windows to break and generally no one around to see them.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Sandtrap wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:03 am We have a local area code for a minimum of low wattage shielded outdoor lights to preserve the night sky and cut ambient light.....although there are always those whose personal preferences and perceived need for glaring 100 watt bare bulbs takes priority over all others.

We have zero lights on at night.
But that is just our area of private mini ranches.

j🌴
zero lights here; rural area. neighbors have dogs on patrol and they (neighbors, not dogs) are pretty good shots.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

Several dusk to dawn lights. A couple that are on 24/7. Plus motion sensor floods. Eight cameras.

I live in a “safe neighborhood” (whatever that is supposed to mean), but the abandoned house next door attracts occasional ne’er-do-wells.

Plus, I’m right on the major arterial road for the area, and get frequent randos using my circular driveway as a turnaround spot, emergency pull over, or picnic parking (yes, actually happened once). I need to put in some 4” posts and hang chain.
This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real financial advice is purely coincidental.
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Just wanted to say that motion lights do not seem to deter criminals. I have 1 piece of data I will send you if you PM me showing a neerdowell walking into my garage (I accidentally left the door open). I think the motion lights helped him see better. I now have this Yolink system with door and motion detectors - bought the water leak sensors too. Installation was peel and stick with a hub plugged into the house router. Was able to use IFTTT to interface to multiple systems (Wyze, Google Assistant) to do the following via voice when leaving the house (1. Close the garage door. 2. Arm the door/motion sensors, 3. Turn on various Wyze plugs) - IFTT handles the opposite when arriving (open door, disarm, turn off plugs) All via voice command. IFTTT has many interfaces, could even create a google sheets entry if you wanted a diary/log of enter/leavings.

BTW we have LED motion lights all around that make the house / yard light up. I need to crank down the sensitivity as the local feral cat can set off the light and I noted the previous comments about bothering the neighbors - gives me something to do today.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

Dusk to dawn solar landscaping spots do a great job.
delamer

Post by delamer »

capitalhockey wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:17 am
anon_investor wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:11 am

I am not looking to put motion sensor light on porch because I want lights to be on the whole night and make my house bright from the front side. Hope to deter burglar from evening choosing my house if they are passing by. The motion sensor light would make my house dark and only turn on if a burglar were to approach. I am hoping they don't choose my house in the first place.
Our former neighbors had a motion detector light on their front-facing garage. It was triggered if anything went by in the street.

I’m sure it varies by fixture, but a burglar wouldn’t have to be very close to activate such a light.

To answer the original question, i don’t live in a neighborhood where I worry about the safety of my home and property such that I need to leave lights on at night.

We do have a Ring doorbell, installed for acreening day time visitors. I think it would be a deterrent for them at night too.
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
MGBMartin

Post by MGBMartin »

I have landscape lights that do dusk to dawn and the good thing is they light the pathway.
Being the nice person that I am I also have motion detector lights that light the entrances so the burglars will be able to see what they are doing.

Between the both I figure less chance of a would be burglar suing me because he tripped on his way to jimmy the door.
Bad spellers of the world untie | Autocorrect is my worst enema
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

I have four lights that are on all night near entrances, and also motion-sensitive flood lights. Although when my house was burglarized the burglar carefully removed the cover "jar" from the light next to the door they broke into, unscrewed the bulb (they were incandescent bulbs back in the '90s), and set them aside. The most common crimes in my area now seems to be first directed at any cars parked outside vs. locked in a garage. The cars can be targets themselves and of course many of them contain garage door openers.
DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick »

For the most part, no we don't. Exceptions: when a pre-dawn delivery is expected, devil's night (a fading local tradition), or when neighbors have parties (for sake of foot traffic - our cul-de-sac is otherwise pretty dark).

All are LED lights. No concern with cost either way, or with security.
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

No unless someone is expected.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

Wanderingwheelz wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:54 am
Yes, seems like it would be a fairly remote possibility, even in a crime-prone neighborhood, for a criminal to come into a home that is obviously occupied. However, the outcome might be really bad if it happens. Think about the type of person that would come into a house while people are obviously home - mentally ill, disparate, etc. So I think people need to think about that part of the equation. The chances are remote, but if it happen, you probably are going to be in serious danger. Don't know if it's something to worry about in a "safe neighborhood" or not.
StAug1967

Post by StAug1967 »

Yes, we leave the porch light on and we have low-voltage LED landscaping lights around the perimeter of the house. All of the lights, including the porch light, are on a dusk-to-dawn timer.
solarcub

Post by solarcub »

We live on a quiet street, and I figure if someone was trying to break into our house they would go around the back where there is basically zero chance of anyone seeing them, lights on or not. I would rather not add to the light pollution.
peppers

Post by peppers »

fwiw

We have outdoor lighting but don't leave it on over night. My neighbor has outdoor lighting, motion sensors and dogs. The bad actors hit his house and boosted several items.

If "they" want in........
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

All of our exterior lighting is LED. The landscape lights come on at dusk and go off at 10:30pm. Our front wall lighting (3) comes on at dusk and goes off shortly before midnight. We have separate porch and back patio lighting that we turn on manually only when needed. I found that leaving those lights on just invites insects to hang around our entry doors and try and enter the house.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

We turn all but one exterior light on manually, and keep them on all night. One is connected to a motion sensor. All use high efficiency bulbs. Probably not the best set up, but all the lights are on the front and back of the house. There are no doors on the sides of the house on the first floor, and only one small window. There are houses in close proximity on either side of the house. I don't want our exterior lights shining in our neighbors' windows.

The exterior lights are on day and night while we are away for extended periods; e.g., while we are away on vacation. Maybe I'm a little paranoid, but It has crossed my mind that a potential burger might notice exterior lights on during the day, over the course of a couple days, and see it as a sign that nobody is home. (Nobody is home to turn the lights off.) I probably should get automatic dusk-to-dawn lighting.

We have a solar-powered, motion-sensing security camera on the back of our house near a door where a I think a burger is most likely to break in.
Last edited by OpenMinded1 on Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:39 am, edited 10 times in total.
Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 »

We have solar lights by front door and driveway, motion sensor on side of the house and backyard lights are not left on overnight. We leave windows open overnight frequently and are considering Ring or a similar setup for added security.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Chicago area, no.
arf30

Post by arf30 »

Yes, exterior lights are on using dusk til dawn bulbs. Just for looks, not concerned about crime.
msj16

Post by msj16 »

Folks the neighbor added new outdoor lighting which stays on all night and lights up their whole front yard at night, Due to the brightness it shines into our house and despite my thick black-out curtains and a blind it still shines in. It is like having blue light on throughout the night, My next step is to add a valence. I hope those using lights keep in mind how bright they are and how they impact neighbors.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

We have three 60 watt dusk to dawn LED lights, 2 on either side of the two car garage and one on the side door of the garage. We also have a few tiny LED night lights near the first floor stairs and in the 2 upstairs bathrooms. We live in a safe neighborhood but it's an inexpensive way to potentially have a thief pick a different house.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

capitalhockey wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:03 am Just curious how many BHs leave their lights on.
One LED porch light on. We have a bunch of other exterior lights on motion censors.
We have a couple interior lamps on timers because it is nice when we are home, and when we are not.
Earned 40 (and counting) credit hours of financial planning related education from a regionally accredited university, but I am not your advisor.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Elsebet wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:46 am We have three 60 watt dusk to dawn LED lights, 2 on either side of the two car garage and one on the side door of the garage. We also have a few tiny LED night lights near the first floor stairs and in the 2 upstairs bathrooms. We live in a safe neighborhood but it's an inexpensive way to potentially have a thief pick a different house.

We do something similar with a few interior lights on dimmers.
It's also an inexpensive way to avoid having me fall! I've never been able to see well in the dark.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Quirkz

Post by Quirkz »

I'm more worried about light pollution than burglary, here. I only turn on the front porch light at night if we're expecting visitors. Out back we've got some solar-powered bulbs that keep deck lighting on into the evening for atmosphere, but they fade out as the night gets later.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

According to the FBI, something around 65% of all home burglaries are committed by someone you would know. So lights or not, you are more likely to get robbed by just letting others know when you will be out of the house. Their website says there are 2.5 million burglaries a year, half of those home burglaries. So your chances of getting burglarized are approximately 0.38% in any given year. Not stated, but I'm guessing living in rural, gun populated America like I do, we are closer to 0% than we are urban centers which lift us up to that 0.38% average.

We have motion activated perimeter lights that came with the house but I turn them off completely most of the time because deer are always tripping them. I only turn them on when expecting guests to arrive at night. I've gone well over half my life expectancy without a single home burglary so I probably won't change anytime soon.
spickups09

Post by spickups09 »

Usually not. I have a doorbell camera with motion sensors installed and notifications to my phone, so that helps me sleep. If we go out of town for a few days, we usually leave some interior light on towards the front of the house.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

lthenderson wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:18 pm Not stated, but I'm guessing living in rural, gun populated America like I do, we are closer to 0% than we are urban centers which lift us up to that 0.38% average.
I have no knowledge of the actual statistics but wouldn't assume that, only because of burglaries I'm aware of in rural areas where guns seemed to be the primary objective of the burglary. I would guess the probability of guns in a home might decrease the probability of home invasion or similar while increasing the probability of burglary, but someone will surely provide actual data.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

lthenderson wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:18 pm According to the FBI, something around 65% of all home burglaries are committed by someone you would know.
A friend (who lives in a rural area, btw) got burgled twice in a short period of time. So she put up some cameras. Turned out, it was the next door neighbor’s druggie son.