Flight with layover vs 2 separate flights.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
EnjoyIt

Flight with layover vs 2 separate flights.

Post by EnjoyIt »

I’m trying to decide what is better and was curious on other people’s opinion.

I am doing a flight out of the country where there is a 4 hour layover in Chicago. DFW -> ORD -> KEF. What is interesting is if I book the flight as two separate trips DFW -> ORD and a separate flight ORD -> KEF the cost is about $150 less.

I personally hate layovers and believe that one is more likely to have their luggage not arrive with them if there is a layover. So I’m thinking that maybe it is in my best interest to book 2 separate flights where I pick up my luggage at ORD and then go through checkin again dropping off my luggage for the next leg to KEF.

Just curious what some of you more frequent fliers think. Am I crazy to even think this is a good idea?
Last edited by EnjoyIt on Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
ResearchMed

Re: Flight with layover vs 2 separate flights.

Post by ResearchMed »

EnjoyIt wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:47 pm I’m trying to decide what is better and was curious on other people’s opinion.

I am doing a flight out of the country where there is a 3 hour layover in Chicago. DAL -> ORD -> KEF. What is interesting is if I book the flight as two separate trips DAL -> ORD and a separate flight ORD -> KEF the cost is about $150 less.

I personally hate layovers and believe that one is more likely to have their luggage not arrive with them if there is a layover. So I’m thinking that maybe it is in my best interest to book 2 separate flights where I pick up my luggage at ORD and then go through checkin again dropping off my luggage for the next leg to KEF.

Just curious what some of you more frequent fliers think. Am I crazy to even think this is a good idea?
Aside from what I might generally recommend, these days airports and flights are a lot of chaos. I think you'll be much better off with a through ticket so that airline will be of some help getting you - and your luggage - where you are going.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
mary1492

Post by mary1492 »

Nothing wrong with it...unless your Dallas flight arrives in to Chicago say 2 or 2.5 hours late.

The other thing you could try, is when you check in for your Dallas flight, just check in with an agent (and not a kiosk) and give both of your tickets and ask if they can check your bag(s) all the way through.
AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess »

ResearchMed wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:52 pm
EnjoyIt wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:47 pm I’m trying to decide what is better and was curious on other people’s opinion.

I am doing a flight out of the country where there is a 3 hour layover in Chicago. DAL -> ORD -> KEF. What is interesting is if I book the flight as two separate trips DAL -> ORD and a separate flight ORD -> KEF the cost is about $150 less.

Aside from what I might generally recommend, these days airports and flights are a lot of chaos. I think you'll be much better off with a through ticket so that airline will be of some help getting you - and your luggage - where you are going.

RM
I don't know which way is better, but these days, there are a lot of cancellations and delays.

Plan accordingly.

I would even get a basic travel insurance, and make sure you insure your trip for at least $100 (even if not insuring the cost of the trip).
I don't carry a signature because people are easily offended.
zeeke42

Post by zeeke42 »

What happens if your DAL->ORD flight is delayed / canceled and you miss ORD->KEF? If you're on one ticket it's the airline's job to fix it, if two, you're on your own. Far more than a $150 savings can evaporate quickly if you need to pay a change fee on the second ticket, or miss a day of your trip. Also, do you want the stress of waiting for your bag to come off the belt, going out, waiting in the bag drop line, waiting for security again, all while the clock is ticking to make your flight?
fposte

Post by fposte »

I'd also factor in the return, considering it will mean going through Customs at a differet airport.
Topic Author
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

zeeke42 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:55 pm What happens if your DAL->ORD flight is delayed / canceled and you miss ORD->KEF? If you're on one ticket it's the airline's job to fix it, if two, you're on your own. Far more than a $150 savings can evaporate quickly if you need to pay a change fee on the second ticket, or miss a day of your trip. Also, do you want the stress of waiting for your bag to come off the belt, going out, waiting in the bag drop line, waiting for security again, all while the clock is ticking to make your flight?
The $150 is a bonus. I’m most concerned about getting my luggage to arrive with me. Though I do agree that arriving 1.5 hours late and then missing the 1 hour cutoff on an international flight is way too stressful. I have been on way too many flights over the last year where something has occurred on the end of the airline but they took responsibility and made it right. Well kind of right. I think it’s settled. 1 ticket.
runningshoes

Post by runningshoes »

fposte wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:04 pm

I'd also factor in the return, considering it will mean going through Customs at a differet airport.
Customs is always your first stop in the US, regardless of the ticket structure, with the few exceptions that have US Customs set up in countries outside the US where you clear US Customs outside the US (Toronto, Montreal, a few other regional examples)
scophreak

Post by scophreak »

With 2 separate tickets, wouldn't you have to collect your bags at baggage claim and then re-check on the next flight? Would also necessitate a 2nd round of TSA screening, which can be a crapshoot depending on the specific airport.

Plan seems to add too much additional complexity, and I'm not sure that you net any real "gain" in terms of a lesser chance of bags being mishandled. If anything, the extra bag handling may serve to INCREASE the chances of your bags going missing/being delayed.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

EnjoyIt wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:04 pm I think it’s settled. 1 ticket.
Good plan. With one ticket you can check your bags through to the final destination and the airline is responsible for getting them to your final destination.

With two separate tickets, the airline is only responsible to get your checked bags to your destination for that particular flight segment, assuming you checked bags for that leg. So in that case if something happens with your bags on the DAL to ORD leg, the airline only has to get them to ORD. Then it is on you to find a way to get them to KEF...after all, you didn't check any bags on the ORD to KEF flight. :o
runningshoes

Post by runningshoes »

EnjoyIt wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:04 pm
zeeke42 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:55 pm
The $150 is a bonus. I’m most concerned about getting my luggage to arrive with me. Though I do agree that arriving 1.5 hours late and then missing the 1 hour cutoff on an international flight is way too stressful. I have been on way too many flights over the last year where something has occurred on the end of the airline but they took responsibility and made it right. Well kind of right. I think it’s settled. 1 ticket.
Good decision and also to add that if you're not on the United flight, you will have to take the train to T5, the international terminal, which is always a mess in terms of lines and security which adds a good amount of time.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

EnjoyIt wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:04 pm
zeeke42 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:55 pm What happens if your DAL->ORD flight is delayed / canceled and you miss ORD->KEF? If you're on one ticket it's the airline's job to fix it, if two, you're on your own. Far more than a $150 savings can evaporate quickly if you need to pay a change fee on the second ticket, or miss a day of your trip. Also, do you want the stress of waiting for your bag to come off the belt, going out, waiting in the bag drop line, waiting for security again, all while the clock is ticking to make your flight?
That’s a good decision.

On the one hand, everything might click perfectly and you’ll save $150. (You may experience a little stress during the process).

On the other hand, there are multiple things that can go awry, each of which goes wrong for travelers each day (that is, they’re not rare). Any of those that cause you to miss that second flight will cost you well more than $150, and could cost you a full day or more out of your trip.

As I said, good decision.
Former life insurance company financial officer who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
PolarBearMarket

Post by PolarBearMarket »

If I am looking at the right flight (searched for what you said above), the layover is only 1 hour and 15 minutes. United requires bags to be checked in 60 minutes prior to departure for international flights, so you would need to de-plane, exit the terminal, pickup your bags, and get back to the check-in desk in 15 minutes. Not enough time!

Think you're settled on one ticket though. One additional recommendation: Put an AirTag in it for peace of mind that it made it onto the second plane.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

scophreak wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:17 pm With 2 separate tickets, wouldn't you have to collect your bags at baggage claim and then re-check on the next flight? Would also necessitate a 2nd round of TSA screening, which can be a crapshoot depending on the specific airport.
Yep, they'd have to get their luggage, then go up 2 floors and take the ATS (tram) to Terminal 5. And as noted above, any luggage delays or mishaps become the flyer's problem at ORD, instead of remaining the airline's problem all the way to KEF.

Depending on when this flight is (calendar not clock), they may or may not have to go through security a second time anyway--regardless of the luggage situation. Up through 2019, passengers arriving in domestic terminal 1, 2, or 3 could take a Terminal Transfer Bus (TTB) to Terminal 5, remaining in the secure area the entire time. TTB service is currently suspended due to Corona, so currently the only option is to exit security, take the ATS to Terminal 5 and then go back through security. Service will return at some point, but I have no idea when that will be.
adam1712

Post by adam1712 »

I also personally feel like lost luggage is happening less frequently these days with the electronic tracking. And depending on the airline, the bag tracking apps certainly reduce some of the stress even if it might not change the chance of a bag being lost.

Plenty of hassles these days with canceled/delayed flights but I haven't noticed similar issues with luggage. Anybody else?
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

lazydavid wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:27 pm
scophreak wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:17 pm With 2 separate tickets, wouldn't you have to collect your bags at baggage claim and then re-check on the next flight? Would also necessitate a 2nd round of TSA screening, which can be a crapshoot depending on the specific airport.
Yep, they'd have to get their luggage, then go up 2 floors and take the ATS (tram) to Terminal 5. And as noted above, any luggage delays or mishaps become the flyer's problem at ORD, instead of remaining the airline's problem all the way to KEF.

Depending on when this flight is (calendar not clock), they may or may not have to go through security a second time anyway--regardless of the luggage situation. Up through 2019, passengers arriving in domestic terminal 1, 2, or 3 could take a Terminal Transfer Bus (TTB) to Terminal 5, remaining in the secure area the entire time. TTB service is currently suspended due to Corona, so currently the only option is to exit security, take the ATS to Terminal 5 and then go back through security. Service will return at some point, but I have no idea when that will be.

Yup.
Sounds like two separate flights would be great, IF the second flight in the next day!

OP, glad you are doing it with one ticket.
Note: In these crazy air transportation times, probably best to expect your checked luggage to take a scenic route, just in case. Plan accordingly with any meds (ALWAYS!) and a change of clothes/etc., in carry on plus personal item.
Then you "risk" a delightful surprise if your bag is waiting in KEF. :happy

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

adam1712 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:47 pm
Plenty of hassles these days with canceled/delayed flights but I haven't noticed similar issues with luggage. Anybody else?
Plenty of luggage issues these days Heathrow had a luggage meltdown within the last week at Terminals 2 and 3. I have also seen multiple reports on Flyertalk of planes departing without baggage because of a shortage of luggage handlers or other reasons. Personally I am hand baggage only and have been for years it is the only way travel.

OP you made the right decision. I personally often have to travel on separate tickets due to travelling on points. I certainly wouldn't do separate tickets for that short of layover to save $150 bucks probably not even going hand baggage only like I do.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Do you mean DFW-ORD? If you actually meant DAL (Love Field) then it's definitely a no, because that's Southwest, which most certainly will not check your bags onto the United flight to KEF. If it is United from DFW to ORD then you can probably get the agent to check you all the way through, but I probably still wouldn't do it for $150. They probably should "protect" you in the event of a misconnect even on two separate tickets, but I wouldn't chance it during peak summer season, when things are a mess and flights are already booked full.
RightGuard

Post by RightGuard »

Remembering by days as a ramp agent and then load planner for a US Major during college..

There two major factors that lead to bags not flying with passengers.

1. Very tight interline transfers (50 min or less). Especially the further 'apart' the two airlines are in their connectivity.

Examples in increasing order of complexity

Passenger is transferring from Airline A to Airline A's regional feeder (or vice versa)
Passenger is transferring from Airline A to a codeshare partner (or Joint Venture)
Passenger is transferring from Airline A to an Alliance partner (Skyteam, OneWorld, Star Alliance)
Passenger is transferring from Airline A to Airline B which has an interline agreement
Passenger is transferring from Airline A to another domestic airline w/ no interline agreement (e.g. MESA to Breeze)
Passenger is transferring from Airline A to a non-domestic airline
Passenger is transferring from Airline A to a non-domestic airline which is about to conduct an international flight

2. The previous station did not load the bag in the cargo hold correctly. i.e. connecting passenger's bags placed near the door to be offloaded first.

If you check bags, the longer your connection (within reason) it is MORE likely your bag will follow you as there is simply more time for the ground crew to sort through the bags, deliver them across the apron to the connecting flight, catch any mistakes, and correct any mistakes.

Rechecking your bags on each leg opens up problems mentioned by galawdawg, scophreak, and lazydavid.
Topic Author
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

02nz wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:03 pm

Do you mean DFW-ORD? If you actually meant DAL (Love Field) then it's definitely a no, because that's Southwest, which most certainly will not check your bags onto the United flight to KEF. If it is United from DFW to ORD then you can probably get the agent to check you all the way through, but I probably still wouldn't do it for $150. They probably should "protect" you in the event of a misconnect even on two separate tickets, but I wouldn't chance it during peak summer season, when things are a mess and flights are already booked full.
Doh. I meant DFW. Can’t believe I made the mistake. I corrected it above.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Picking up your luggage and going back thru security could be a nightmare. And don't forget, that some International flights go out of the International terminal at ORD, so you might have to to wait to pick up your bag and change terminals, and then check your bag again. Not something I would do.
fposte

Post by fposte »

runningshoes wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:16 pm
fposte wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:04 pm

Customs is always your first stop in the US, regardless of the ticket structure, with the few exceptions that have US Customs set up in countries outside the US where you clear US Customs outside the US (Toronto, Montreal, a few other regional examples)
Ah, I usually come through Canada, so that would explain it.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

Not necessarily.

You can request that your bag is "interlined". Assuming you have successfully checked in for the latter flights and have all the details, the airlines can do this for you. It helps that the flights are at least on the same carrier network. I've never had this failed. But no guarantees especially if you have budget carriers in the mix.

Also to note that on returning trips to the US, if one transits in the US (e.g. KEF-ORD-DAL), the bag would need to manually picked up and dropped off in connecting airport (ORD) anyway!!! Regardless of the ticket structure! It's an annoying practice of US Customs. Given the choice, I always do my transfers in Europe. (say, KEF-FRA-DFW).
Topic Author
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

hunoraut wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:29 am
Not necessarily.

You can request that your bag is "interlined". Assuming you have successfully checked in for the latter flights and have all the details, the airlines can do this for you. It helps that the flights are at least on the same carrier network. I've never had this failed. But no guarantees especially if you have budget carriers in the mix.

Also to note that on returning trips to the US, if one transits in the US (e.g. KEF-ORD-DAL), the bag would need to manually picked up and dropped off in connecting airport (ORD) anyway!!! Regardless of the ticket structure! It's an annoying practice of US Customs. Given the choice, I always do my transfers in Europe. (say, KEF-FRA-DFW).
Hmmmm. Interesting.

The whole trip is on the same United metal.

Is it really worth the extra long flight FRA-DFW. I think it’s an extra 2 hours just to avoid customs in ORD?
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

Not necessarily.

Yes the airlines can interline but it's now becoming a question of whether they want to especially since bag fees have been introduced. AA will not interline bags on separate tickets. To your point, DL will do so for if other airline AM/AF/AZ/KE/KL/LA/MU/VS/WS. UA will do so if other carrier is Star Alliance.
EnjoyIt wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:13 am
Not necessarily.

Hmmmm. Interesting.

Is it really worth the extra long flight FRA-DFW. I think it’s an extra 2 hours just to avoid customs in ORD?
Only you can decide that. Clearing US CBP at destination airport provides piece of mind (no worries about inspection delay), saves you from having to go thru TSA again and waiting at baggage claims 2x (at PoE and final destination).
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

I would go single ticket to make rerouting simpler if flights are delayed or canceled.
Chuckles960

Post by Chuckles960 »

EnjoyIt wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:47 pmI personally hate layovers and believe that one is more likely to have their luggage not arrive with them if there is a layover.
Mishandled baggage is reported by less than 1% of passengers:https://www.bts.gov/content/mishandled- ... -carriersa.

Incidentally, if your trip is all on UA, the UA app is excellent for keeping track of where your baggage was last scanned. Of course, if it is left behind, there is nothing you can do about it.

Also, if there is indeed a $150 anomaly, you can try booking "multi-city" and enter each leg separately and see if it offers the lower total price (this happens sometimes, other times the total is higher).
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Chuckles960 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:22 pm
EnjoyIt wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:47 pmI personally hate layovers and believe that one is more likely to have their luggage not arrive with them if there is a layover.
You may believe that, but beliefs are not facts. The fact is that mishandled baggage is reported by less than 1% of passengers:https://www.bts.gov/content/mishandled- ... -carriersa.

Incidentally, if your flight is all on UA, the UA app is excellent for keeping track of where your baggage was last scanned. Of course, if it is left behind, there is nothing you can do about it.
While baggage delays are infrequent in the big scheme of things (and bags going missing altogether even rarer), OP's statement - that one is more likely to have luggage not arrive if there's a connection - is unquestionably factually true. Each time a bag gets handled, the likelihood it gets delayed, damaged, or lost goes up, and a bag gets handled a lot more with a connecting itinerary vs. a nonstop.
Chuckles960

Post by Chuckles960 »

02nz wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:26 pmWhile baggage delays are infrequent in the big scheme of things (and bags going missing altogether even rarer), OP's statement - that one is more likely to have luggage not arrive if there's a connection - is unquestionably factually true.
Yes, i realized that and edited my post almost immediately, but clearly not fast enough!
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

May I suggest flying with only a carry-on? It completely eliminates the baggage issues being discussed in this thread.

A helpful resource for transitioning to the carry-on lifestyle is https://OneBag.com.
This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real financial advice is purely coincidental.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

RightGuard wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:37 pm Remembering by days as a ramp agent and then load planner for a US Major during college..

There two major factors that lead to bags not flying with passengers.

1. Very tight interline transfers (50 min or less). Especially the further 'apart' the two airlines are in their connectivity.

Examples in increasing order of complexity

Passenger is transferring from Airline A to Airline A's regional feeder (or vice versa)
Passenger is transferring from Airline A to a codeshare partner (or Joint Venture)
Passenger is transferring from Airline A to an Alliance partner (Skyteam, OneWorld, Star Alliance)
Passenger is transferring from Airline A to Airline B which has an interline agreement
Passenger is transferring from Airline A to another domestic airline w/ no interline agreement (e.g. MESA to Breeze)
Passenger is transferring from Airline A to a non-domestic airline
Passenger is transferring from Airline A to a non-domestic airline which is about to conduct an international flight
[...]
Maybe this is covered in your list of examples or maybe it's not!

I was travelling Air India international to Jet Blue domestic connection earlier this year via JFK. Well, Air India was nearly 8 hours late. Needless to say, everyone who was connecting missed their connection. But Air India was good enough to rebook us AND had an agent waiting as we exited the plane handing out our new ticket vouchers. I got a Delta domestic ticket (I don't know if the two have an interline or any other agreement), as did a family of three (as I later learned).

After customs and immigration, as I handed my bag over to the baggage drop off crew, I was informed to go to the Delta desk in the check-in area to make sure the agents there update my record with the baggage tag number. The ladies I spoke with told me this was unnecessary but after I insisted saying that's what I had been told by baggage handlers, they did a couple of trial and error steps then said I was good to go.

Fast forward a few hours and I pick up my checked in bag at Orlando... and I see the family of three frantically looking around for their bags which they had seen earlier in the day at JFK. Apparently, no one had told them to do what I had been told to do. They never got their bags that day.

I bet this is a security thing - to prevent folks from checking in bags, then disappearing into the city. So, the airlines have to ensure that the owner passenger has also checked in, before loading the bags. In this case, for whatever reason, they couldn't connect the bags with the three passengers. :oops:
dbr

Post by dbr »

An option is an actual stopover, meaning seriously visiting the connecting city. We have often done this to visit people for a couple of days or just to add a tourist destination along the way. How the multi-city routing prices is in the detail of each example.

There are also instances where the layover is actually overnight in a hotel.
Topic Author
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

Mishandled baggage is reported by less than 1% of passengers:https://www.bts.gov/content/mishandled- ... -carriersa.

Incidentally, if your trip is all on UA, the UA app is excellent for keeping track of where your baggage was last scanned. Of course, if it is left behind, there is nothing you can do about it.

Also, if there is indeed a $150 anomaly, you can try booking "multi-city" and enter each leg separately and see if it offers the lower total price (this happens sometimes, other times the total is higher).
I fly a decent amount and have had luggage issues on more than one occasion. At the end of the day infrequent things happen and they happen infrequently. I want to minimize that infrequency even further.
Topic Author
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

AerialWombat wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:03 pm May I suggest flying with only a carry-on? It completely eliminates the baggage issues being discussed in this thread.

A helpful resource for transitioning to the carry-on lifestyle is https://OneBag.com.
I will be in Iceland for almost 2 weeks. I doubt a carry on is a good idea. Although when doing short trips I frequently use the carry on option.
Topic Author
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

The UA app for tracking luggage works great when your luggage goes as planned. I can tell you from experience when things go wrong the app actually causes more issues because it doesn’t coincide with reality. Ask me how I know.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

EnjoyIt wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:10 pm
AerialWombat wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:03 pm May I suggest flying with only a carry-on? It completely eliminates the baggage issues being discussed in this thread.

I will be in Iceland for almost 2 weeks. I doubt a carry on is a good idea. Although when doing short trips I frequently use the carry on option.
I spent three years vagabonding around the world with just a carry-on. It's all about prioritization. :beer
This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real financial advice is purely coincidental.
ryman554

Post by ryman554 »

YOu can fit an amazing amount of clothing in a carryon plus a personal "backpack". I've done two weeks. Forces you to pack only what you need.
BobTexas

Post by BobTexas »

dbr wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:16 pm An option is an actual stopover, meaning seriously visiting the connecting city. We have often done this to visit people for a couple of days or just to add a tourist destination along the way. How the multi-city routing prices is in the detail of each example.

There are also instances where the layover is actually overnight in a hotel.
I was thinking this too. With all the travel issues lately, I would plan a longer layover, maybe even the day before. Spend a leisurely night in a hotel and go back to the airport the next morning

Also, if you have an iPhone, consider getting their Air tags for your luggage. I have a number of them and they work great.

See:

https://www.cnn.com/cnn-underscored/tra ... le-airtags
typical.investor

Post by typical.investor »

I am doing a flight out of the country where there is a 4 hour layover in Chicago. DFW -> ORD -> KEF. What is interesting is if I book the flight as two separate trips DFW -> ORD and a separate flight ORD -> KEF the cost is about $150 less.

Personally, I would book the 4 hour layover. As other's mention, there is not guarantee that your 2nd flight will leave on time even if you book it separately and one ticket will protect your from 'missing' the second flight on a problem from the first. ALSO, flights are getting cancelled left and right these days. Two separate tickets is problematic from that standpoint to me.

In any case, you don't mention when. I try to avoid ORD and northern cities in winter months.

But yeah, you are going to be going through security twice anyone which seems a worse bottleneck than usual these days. So is checking in to drop off your luggage.

On the connecting flight at ORD, you will pick up your luggage, but the drop off for connecting flights is pretty close and then you re-screen at security. That transit is probably easier than going to the ticket counter for luggage drop off which seems to be the biggest time constraint. Flights do get delayed when luggage isn't on board, so they probably will wait for your if needed. You can get baggage delay insurance.

Just know that your connecting flight is unlikely to have a gate at ORD. It's kinda find out when you get there.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

ORD is recommended to be avoided because of likelihood of winter weather-related issues.

The other thing is its T5 international terminal is physically disconnected from domestic ones. Flying in on international transit even with their hub/home airline or its network, you gotta ride the bus or monorail thing and re clear security all over again. Huge PITA.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

Not necessarily.

Hmmmm. Interesting.

Yes for two reasons.

1) If your total flight time is somewhat similar I prefer to make the international leg as long as possible. The planes are generally more spacious and comfortable than the domestic plane. It’ll allow you more opportunity to sleep as well along with generally superior food and drink service. The domestic plane might not be doing any food service and is likely to be older and definitely much smaller than the international plane.

2) I generally avoid ORD if I can, doubly so in the winter. Also, if you are connecting internationally there having to leave terminal 5 and ride that bus or monorail is a big pain. DFW is just easier to get around.
“Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon.” - Milton Friedman
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Here's a recent experience that may give some perspective.

My wife and I took a Viking cruise in Europe back in late March / early April. Our flight returning was to be from Bergen Norway through Frankfurt and Washington Dulles to Knoxville. The layover in Dulles was scheduled to be 3-1/2 hours, which we liked, as this would give us plenty of time to "run the gauntlet" of Customs / Immigration / bag pickup and re-check / going back through Security, with hopefully a bit of time left to grab a meal.

When we got to Frankfurt, we found that our flight from Frankfurt to Dulles would be delayed by four hours. Obviously this meant we would miss our connection in Dulles to home. When we finally made it to Dulles, United put us up in a hotel for the night.

We had contacted Viking from the Frankfurt airport, and they rescheduled us with flights for the next day, going from Dulles to Chicago O'Hare and on to home, with an hour and a half layover in Chicago, which we figured would be plenty to go basically from one gate to the other. Turned out that was a bad assumption. The flight leaving Dulles was delayed for 45 minutes, and weather further delayed our landing in Chicago, so we ended up with about 20 minutes between landing and our connecting flight's departure.

We made the best time we could from gate to gate (and I must point out that I'm way too old to be sprinting through ORD), all the time dreading that we would again miss our connection home and be forced to overnight again. However, when we made it to the gate, we found that United was holding the flight for a few minutes to give us the time we needed to get there.

All this is to say that, if your flights are on the same ticket, the airline's system likely will know if a flight delay is causing you a delay getting to your connection. However, if you book it as two separate flights on two separate tickets, all bets are off.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
Topic Author
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

ScubaHogg wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:53 am
Not necessarily.

Hmmmm. Interesting.

Yes for two reasons.

1) If your total flight time is somewhat similar I prefer to make the international leg as long as possible. The planes are generally more spacious and comfortable than the domestic plane. It’ll allow you more opportunity to sleep as well along with generally superior food and drink service. The domestic plane might not be doing any food service and is likely to be older and definitely much smaller than the international plane.

2) I generally avoid ORD if I can, doubly so in the winter. Also, if you are connecting internationally there having to leave terminal 5 and ride that bus or monorail is a big pain. DFW is just easier to get around.
Thanks for the details. I have much to consider.

I do hate the idea of being forced around terminals in ORD. I’m going to look into my other options. I too prefer the international leg to be longer as to give me a bit more time to sleep. Especially since those legs are overnight legs.

Thanks.
Last edited by EnjoyIt on Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:35 am Here's a recent experience that may give some perspective.

My wife and I took a Viking cruise in Europe back in late March / early April. Our flight returning was to be from Bergen Norway through Frankfurt and Washington Dulles to Knoxville. The layover in Dulles was scheduled to be 3-1/2 hours, which we liked, as this would give us plenty of time to "run the gauntlet" of Customs / Immigration / bag pickup and re-check / going back through Security, with hopefully a bit of time left to grab a meal.

When we got to Frankfurt, we found that our flight from Frankfurt to Dulles would be delayed by four hours. Obviously this meant we would miss our connection in Dulles to home. When we finally made it to Dulles, United put us up in a hotel for the night.

We had contacted Viking from the Frankfurt airport, and they rescheduled us with flights for the next day, going from Dulles to Chicago O'Hare and on to home, with an hour and a half layover in Chicago, which we figured would be plenty to go basically from one gate to the other. Turned out that was a bad assumption. The flight leaving Dulles was delayed for 45 minutes, and weather further delayed our landing in Chicago, so we ended up with about 20 minutes between landing and our connecting flight's departure.

We made the best time we could from gate to gate (and I must point out that I'm way too old to be sprinting through ORD), all the time dreading that we would again miss our connection home and be forced to overnight again. However, when we made it to the gate, we found that United was holding the flight for a few minutes to give us the time we needed to get there.

All this is to say that, if your flights are on the same ticket, the airline's system likely will know if a flight delay is causing you a delay getting to your connection. However, if you book it as two separate flights on two separate tickets, all bets are off.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

I’m totally convinced to just buy 1 ticket. If I had the time to do an overnight layover I would probably buy two tickets and just that.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Not necessarily.

Hmmmm. Interesting.

Yes for two reasons.

Generally I agree, but because of Iceland's location, you're talking about flying about 3 hours in the "wrong" direction and another 3 to backtrack to connect in Frankfurt, and that's just for one way. Connecting in FRA instead of ORD nearly doubles the total distance flown (about 13,000 miles via FRA vs. 7,000 via ORD) and adds about 12 hours (!) in the air. I MIGHT do the extra air time if it were Singapore Airlines first class, almost certainly not for business class, and no way in **** in coach on any airline.
Last edited by 02nz on Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

I've been traveling internationally for over 3 decades with just my carryon and a backpack. Still use my TravelPro Rollaboard from 1991. Longest trip was over 3 weeks to NZ. My wife grumbled a bit but it all worked out. Just an FYI you can travel carryon internationally but it does take some effort to be efficient packing and wash clothes along the way. The piece of mind in not worrying if my luggage gets to the same place I'm going more than offsets the inconvenience of having limited luggage space.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
02nz

Post by 02nz »

EnjoyIt wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:22 am
Not necessarily.

Hmmmm. Interesting.

Yes for two reasons.

I do hate the idea of being forced around terminals in ORD. I’m going to look into my other options. I too prefer the international leg to be longer as to give me a bit more time to sleep. Especially since those legs are overnight legs.

Thanks.
See my post above for why ScubaHogg's suggestion of routing via Frankfurt (or any other hub in Europe, really) is a pretty terrible one for your situation.

Also - you'll only need to make an inter-terminal transfer on the return trip. Your flight TO KEF will depart out of the same terminal as your arrival from Dallas; United only uses the int'l terminal (T5) for international ARRIVALS.
Last edited by 02nz on Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
dbr

Post by dbr »

To mention another possible complication we once were almost denied boarding a Qantas flight from Australia to New Zealand because the return ticket was separate on another airline. We had to pull out paper booking and receipts to show them we had a return flight. This is a government regulation.

We knew there was a problem when the kiosk would not allow us to check in.
Topic Author
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

02nz wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:39 am
EnjoyIt wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:22 am

Not necessarily.

Hmmmm. Interesting.

Yes for two reasons.

Thanks.
See my post above for why ScubaHogg's suggestion of routing via Frankfurt (or any other hub in Europe, really) is a pretty terrible one for your situation.

Also - you'll only need to make an inter-terminal transfer on the return trip. Your flight TO KEF will depart out of the same terminal as your arrival from Dallas; United only uses the int'l terminal (T5) for international ARRIVALS.
Thanks for the info.

I knew asking advice on this forum would be beneficial.
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

I do this all the time because the flight back from Greece to the USA arrives too late in the night to do a domestic connection. I generally sleep in the airport and catch a flight in the morning.

It backfired a couple times - once the international leg got cancelled due to the virus. The domestic leg was nonrefundable (and the international took 1 year and a department of transportation complaint to refund, right before that airline went bankrupt, and then had a class action suit brought against it). The other time the international flight came into a completely different city's airport than it was supposed to. Lost the original domestic and had to buy a new one immediately.