Which trip should I take? Please help me decide!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
September

Which trip should I take? Please help me decide!

Post by September »

I have a limited travel budget at work that I can use to attend meetings and training. One meeting is in Madison, WI in August, and there is a potential training in mid September in Denver.

I say "potential training" because this training in Denver may not occur if there are not enough people signed up for by Sep. I can only travel to one location with my budget, and I've never been to Madison before but I've been to Denver and nearby areas a few times. If I go to Denver training in mid Sep, I will likely bring a family member with me and take extra days off at the end of the training to check out other areas near Denver.

So help me decide which trip should I take?

Thanks!
livesoft

Re: Which trip should I take? Please help me decide!

Post by livesoft »

Take family member to Colorado. Go to the nearby mountains and enjoy nature. Is this really a hard decision for you?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
September

Post by September »

livesoft wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:00 am Take family member to Colorado. Go to the nearby mountains and enjoy nature. Is this really a hard decision for you?
You are correct. It shouldn't be that hard :happy and I am leaning toward Colorado trip, but the Denver training might get canceled in the last minute and then I will lose my travel money.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

September wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:58 am I have a limited travel budget at work that I can use to attend meetings and training. One meeting is in Madison, WI in August, and there is a potential training in mid September in Denver.

I say "potential training" because this training in Denver may not occur if there are not enough people signed up for by Sep. I can only travel to one location with my budget, and I've never been to Madison before but I've been to Denver and nearby areas a few times. If I go to Denver training in mid Sep, I will likely bring a family member with me and take extra days off at the end of the training to check out other areas near Denver.

Thanks!
The trip that gives you the most benefit in your career.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Topic Author
September

Post by September »

jebmke wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:26 am
September wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:58 am I have a limited travel budget at work that I can use to attend meetings and training. One meeting is in Madison, WI in August, and there is a potential training in mid September in Denver.

Thanks!
The trip that gives you the most benefit in your career.
Thanks for mentioning this.
celia

Post by celia »

Thanks!
If there is a significant cost difference to the employer and the unspent money can rollover to a future training event, consider going on the cheaper one so you can travel again (assuming you like traveling).

Or roll over all the money to a better trip next year!
BernardShakey

Post by BernardShakey »

Thanks!
If you and your family member are outdoor people, Denver would be my choice. Rocky Mtn National Park would be on my short list :beer
An important key to investing is having a well-calibrated sense of your future regret.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

If you’ve been to Denver several times already and never Madison the choice is clear, go to somewhere new! Madison is a beautiful city situated on an isthmus between two beautiful lakes. And August has ideal weather for that location. Avoid January however, it is bitterly cold then. You could tour the Wisconsin State Capitol building. Madison is also home to The University of Wisconsin.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

If you run the risk of losing the money take the bird in the hand and see someplace new. Have you seen this (what to do in madison wi):

https://www.dangerous-business.com/madi ... in-summer/
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

I'd pick Madison because it is a smaller town with clean air.

Denver is a big city with bad air (see https://www.denverpost.com/2021/08/06/d ... pollution/)
Topic Author
September

Post by September »

Thanks for your responses! I am still undecided. Maybe I will toss a coin to help me decide :happy
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I’ve been to Madison often. Lots to do outside in a very beautiful city. It is also home to one of the biggest, best and most entertaining farmers market every Saturday. We always leave full, exercised and with a bag of food for later.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

I would pick which ever one provides the best business benefit since it's a business trip.
Runyer

Post by Runyer »

Where do you live? Madison is a great city to visit in August! State capital, UW, brew pubs, cheese curds and beautiful lakes!
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Have you looked at www.TripAdvisor.com
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 11 years 😀
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Thanks!
I'm 6+ weeks into a trip to Colorado with my family, and I'd emphatically say to plan to go there. Just try to book places with good cancellation policies.

If you'll need to stay fairly close to Denver, I'd suggest visiting Rocky Mountain National Park as it's not far and is a spectacular place. Trail Ridge Road is superb, the hikes around Bear Lake are incredible, and the aspens should at least start to change by mid-September.
“Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men.” J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings
matti

Post by matti »

As others mentioned, I would first consider which trip could most benefit your career. After that, the mountains around Denver are hard to beat (the city itself is not very impressive, IMO). Also, IMO, Madison is nothing special; I've been there a million times and never really understood the draw. To each their own, of course!
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

September wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:14 am
livesoft wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:00 am Take family member to Colorado. Go to the nearby mountains and enjoy nature. Is this really a hard decision for you?
You are correct. It shouldn't be that hard :happy and I am leaning toward Colorado trip, but the Denver training might get canceled in the last minute and then I will lose my travel money.
I think livesoft's answer was to the effect that you should go to Colorado on your own - outside of company's expensed trip. Why are you holding your personal life hostage to where the company sends you for free? Unless of course you are short on vacation days, money, etc..
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

September wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:50 pm Thanks for your responses! I am still undecided. Maybe I will toss a coin to help me decide :happy
Why not both? Go to Madison on company's dime - and to Denver on your own!
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

September wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:14 am the Denver training might get canceled in the last minute and then I will lose my travel money.
It sounds like you work for the Federal Government. If so, I suspect I know what the Denver training is, and from a purely professional viewpoint I would recommend it over Madison.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:19 am
September wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:14 am the Denver training might get canceled in the last minute and then I will lose my travel money.
It sounds like you work for the Federal Government. If so, I suspect I know what the Denver training is, and from a purely professional viewpoint I would recommend it over Madison.
I can't imagine making a decision other than for professional development. Training and skill development are among the best investments you can make in yourself in terms of job security, personal fulfillment and financial reward. Travel destinations are a dime a dozen.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

Runyer wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:02 am Where do you live? Madison is a great city to visit in August! State capital, UW, brew pubs, cheese curds and beautiful lakes!
And a great farmer’s market around the square.

There are lots of hiking possibilities within an hour drive of anywhere within Madison. As mentioned Denver is a large city and it can take an hour just to get out of town depending on where you are (and going). Though, I do like actual mountains, so the effort would be worth it for me, if I was there.

Coin flip. Maybe two out of three so the anticipation can build.