Apple Mouse

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Mr. Rumples

Apple Mouse

Post by Mr. Rumples »

My apple mouse (for a Mac mini) is in pretty rough shape. I've cleaned it several times, but its time for a new one. (The current one is several years old.) Since all I do is surf the internet and do some emails (no graphics &c., no photos) are the inexpensive $10 +/- good enough? I don't want wireless.
“To be a Virginian either by Birth, Marriage, Adoption, or even on one’s Mother’s side, is an Introduction to any State in the Union, a Passport to any Country, and a Benediction from Above.”—Anonymous
oldcomputerguy

Re: Apple Mouse

Post by oldcomputerguy »

I'll confess up front that I know next to nothing about what mouse hardware is required for a Mac (I'm a Linux user). That being said, I have on my primary machine a Logitech M100 mouse that cost me roughly $10 at the local Office Depot, and from a usability standpoint I find it very comfortable and usable. It's hardwired with a USB connector.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
Topic Author
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

That is kind of what I am looking at. I figure I can just return it if it doesn't work. From surfing the internet, it sort of seems they are all interchangeable for my purposes.
“To be a Virginian either by Birth, Marriage, Adoption, or even on one’s Mother’s side, is an Introduction to any State in the Union, a Passport to any Country, and a Benediction from Above.”—Anonymous
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Any USB mouse should work. It certainly doesn't have to be Apple-branded. I use a Logitech because I wanted two real buttons.
Last edited by Cheez-It Guy on Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johndoefire65

Post by Johndoefire65 »

Logitech M510 is pretty good. $28 at amazon. For $10. Sometimes you get what you pay for, sometimes it's good enough too.
Lastrun

Post by Lastrun »

I have all macs, two are minis. I just use any wireless keyboard/mouse set up that says it is mac compatible. Right now the one I have is from iclever and it works great. I have one at a remote worksite and it has worked for years (2016), first on a Dell and on a mac mini. The old one uses AA batteries, and the new one charges. Just pop the little USB doohickey in a USB port and your off. Battery time is years, not months.
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

I prefer wired mice with clickable buttons of the $10-$20 variety.
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

Recent convert to Macs here.
I have a big box of mice (meese?) from my Windows days. They all work with the Macs, both the wired and the wireless types.Use whatever you have that you like.
That said, I do like the Apple Magic Mouse.
mike@jb

Post by mike@jb »

I am using an Satech wireless mouse with my M1 MacBook, and it works great.
HopHead

Post by HopHead »

I am using a Logitech optical mouse (wired) with my 2022 iMac and it works just fine. My Bluetooth apple mouse stopped working despite charging, which is fine because I really didn't like it anyways.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

Buy a new Apple mouse.
Old fart who does three index funds, baby.
Eagle33

Post by Eagle33 »

Bogle7 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:53 pm Buy a new Apple mouse.
Apple now only sells wireless mice. OP wants a mouse with a wired USB tail.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

My experience is that any USB mouse will work, including any old ones that friends may have in a desk drawer that they don't want or things you find at a lawn sale or the cheapest off-brand mouse you find at Staples, etc.

Nowadays, anything that isn't optical (anything with a mouseball) is not worth the aggravation.

However, it may take a little tweaking of the parameters in the control panel to get the acceleration, etc. to be comfortable. Left- and right- buttons and the scroll wheel should work, any other functions may be iffy.

I am in fact quite happy with the new-ish (rechargeable) Magic Mouse, but I admit that I have an external USB hub and I keep an old Logitech plugged in... and tucked behind the screen... so that when the Magic Mouse runs out of charge I can keep on work while it charges. And my experience is that the USB link between the Magic Mouse and my Mac is very reliable, no nonsense about getting it paired and keeping it paired.

And my personal experience is that unlike some manufacturers, Apple-branded accessories are "nice," well-designed, and do work "well" with Apple computers, so I'm willing to pay the exorbitant price. For example, the Apple mouse is very thin and shallow and does not force my hand into as elevated a position as "normal" nice, which I think helps avoid wrist problems.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Harry Livermore

Post by Harry Livermore »

Despite having a wireless Apple mouse and full-size keyboard (for the family iMac) and a wireless large trackpad and Bluetooth keyboard (for my laptop when docked at home on my desk) I keep a small stash of USB Apple mice and keyboards. Why? Sometimes the iMac, upon startup, will announce "no Bluetooth keyboard or mouse has been found" I simply dig out the "old" stuff and proceed, rather than curse Tim Cook (although that's fun too)
Bluetooth is the greatest tech swindle ever foisted upon the public. I try not to rely on it for much of anything...
Cheers
Youngblood

Post by Youngblood »

Very happy with my Magic Mouse too. I don't mind paying extra for what I believe are well designed and superior products IMHO.
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Harry Livermore wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:42 pm...Bluetooth is the greatest tech swindle ever foisted upon the public. I try not to rely on it for much of anything...
I agree.

USB is amazingly good. The biggest problems are that 1) sometimes a computer system remembers something it shouldn't, and you need to move the plug to a different USB port to force it to re-think; 2) although it is supposed to communicate power needs, in real life USB systems are poor at handling cases where too much power is being drawn; they can act flaky instead of giving a clear error message. Really, though, USB is closer to plug-and-play than any other interface I've ever used, and is the only thing I've ever used that is really (mostly) hot-pluggable.

Bluetooth truly sucks. It's total misery. The worst are tiny gadgets like fitness bands--and wireless mice!--that use some weird different variety of Bluetooth. In general, if the device doesn't have a screen and user interface, it's magic and voodoo getting it paired. And they don't stay paired when they should. They stay paired just long enough for you to misplace the instruction sheet telling you to hold volume + and volume - at the same time while pressing and holding the power button for five seconds until the slow flashing changes to rapid flashing. My car audio system accept Bluetooth connections and when I get in the car I never know whether it will say "connected as a player" or "connected as a phone" or "connected as both," and when it is not connected it is a total crapshoot whether I should try to initiate pairing from the phone or the car. And this is when both systems have touchscreens and I can see the car's bluetooth from the phone and see the phone's bluetooth from the car.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Harry Livermore

Post by Harry Livermore »

nisiprius wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:54 am
Harry Livermore wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:42 pm...Bluetooth is the greatest tech swindle ever foisted upon the public. I try not to rely on it for much of anything...
I agree.

USB is amazingly good. The biggest problems are that 1) sometimes a computer system remembers something it shouldn't, and you need to move the plug to a different USB port to force it to re-think; 2) although it is supposed to communicate power needs, in real life USB systems are poor at handling cases where too much power is being drawn; they can act flaky instead of giving a clear error message. Really, though, USB is closer to plug-and-play than any other interface I've ever used, and is the only thing I've ever used that is really (mostly) hot-pluggable.

Bluetooth truly sucks. It's total misery. The worst are tiny gadgets like fitness bands--and wireless mice!--that use some weird different variety of Bluetooth. In general, if the device doesn't have a screen and user interface, it's magic and voodoo getting it paired. And they don't stay paired when they should. They stay paired just long enough for you to misplace the instruction sheet telling you to hold volume + and volume - at the same time while pressing and holding the power button for five seconds until the slow flashing changes to rapid flashing. My car audio system accept Bluetooth connections and when I get in the car I never know whether it will say "connected as a player" or "connected as a phone" or "connected as both," and when it is not connected it is a total crapshoot whether I should try to initiate pairing from the phone or the car. And this is when both systems have touchscreens and I can see the car's bluetooth from the phone and see the phone's bluetooth from the car.
I wish this forum simply had a "like" button, because I would have "liked" your post.
I will say I have been astonished at how reliably my iPhone pairs with my Honda Pilot. There. I've jinxed it.
Cheers
GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff »

My Apple mouse recently died and I replaced it with a $6 wired mouse from amazon. It works fine.
hoofaman

Post by hoofaman »

I've always used mechanical keyboards with windows keys and logitech mx wheel mice on my macs, never felt like the Apple mice and keyboards were adequate personally
Topic Author
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Thank y'all. My apple mouse finally died, multiple cleanings of debris - mostly cat hair - were enough. Bought a Logitech power plus 525 on sale at OfficeDepot for $15, works very well. Ended up going wireless, again back to the cat, one less wire to catch her attention as she watches the screen when I surf and type.