best repurposing of a soon-to-be-unused bedroom?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
carloslando

best repurposing of a soon-to-be-unused bedroom?

Post by carloslando »

So our child will soon be off to college, freeing up a bedroom in the house. We have been debating the best use of the room now and were hoping to hear thoughts from parents on this forum who might have faced a similar situation.

For context we live in a 3 bedroom house and there is one other kid at home for a few more years (so 2 bedrooms are occupied and will remain so for a few more years). This is a smallish (roughly 11"x11") room.

Options so far range from:

1. Spruce up a little bit (newer dresser etc) and turn it into a guest bedroom. PROS: small investment of $150-200 CONS: we dont have many guests staying, so the room will be mostly unused 11 months of the year at a minimum.

2. turn it into an exercise room: we have some random equipment already in the house (stationary bike, dumbbells etc) that can be consolidated here, and more added for say a total of $500-750 to make it a nice home gym.

3. turn it into a 'library' or 'home office': book shelves with physical books, move my desk and chair here to handle the Work-For-Home days, a little drink cabinet/bar to the side, posters on the wall etc. Probably spend $1000 on the furniture and starting-stock for the bar.

4. turn it into an entertainment center with a large TV, dual recliners, mini-fridge etc: $2000 perhaps?.

Any recommendations and shared-experiences will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Comparison is the killer of all joy.
OpenMinded1

Re: best repurposing of a soon-to-be-unused bedroom?

Post by OpenMinded1 »

It's difficult to say what the best repurposing would be without knowing more about your situation. Just a few thoughts off the top of my head:

Probably best to keep it a bedroom if you might want to sell the house in the not-to-distant future, or at least don't do anything that would make it difficult and/or expensive to convert back to a bedroom. Also, how uncomfortable and/or awkward is it going to be for overnight guests without that third bedroom. Are your kids that have moved out going to want to stay overnight from time to time? Maybe you could typically use the room as something else, but be able to convert it into an area that is relatively comfortable for a guest to sleep in. Perhaps you could have a hide-away bed there like a trundle bed or a couch the converts into a bed. However, at 11' X 11' there might not be enough room.

I always like to watch TV while working out. It makes the time go by faster, helps avoid boredom, takes my mind off the physical discomfort of working out etc. In your analysis, maybe you should consider the cost and effort involved in having TV in that room if you don't already have it there.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

Nothing says "don't come back" to a freshman in college louder than converting their childhood bedroom to some other use. If your want your college-bound son or daughter to stay with you during holidays and the summer, leave the room as is.
chw

Post by chw »

Where will your child sleep when home from college? I personally think the re-purposing of the bedroom without discussing with your child could create issues (unless this was done, and the child is never coming back home).

Regarding use of the bedroom- do as you please- just don’t remove the closet from the room- this would usually not allow you to market the home as a 3 bedroom if you were to sell.
makingmistakes

Post by makingmistakes »

Poor kid. First time going off to college is too soon, in my opinion, to send the message that they have no where to come home to.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

My reaction was the same as previous posters. Leave it until you have established how often they come home, how they spend summers, etc.

And this option is free!
heikejohn1

Post by heikejohn1 »

Install a Murphy Bed, use the room as you wish. Office, guest, exercise...
Keep enough floorspace, so the murphy bed can come down when an extra bed is needed.
Best of all options!!!
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

Yes, I don't get this question at all. Your kid is going to college and you're taking away his room as if he is never coming back?? It's his room. He didn't leave home. He's going to college which is eight months out of the year.
JediMisty

Post by JediMisty »

I agree with the Murphy bed and leaving the closet intact for future resale. I also agree that the freshman will need somewhere to stay summers and holidays and may take offense that their room was repurposed. Ask me how I know. (hint my parents new spouses left me no space in their homes. Still stings 40+ years later) when guests or your college student are in residence, the weights or whatever can be stored in the closet.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

When we bought our house, the kids were already in college or graduated. But, their bedrooms came in handy during the first year or so of COVID.

We wanted “their bedrooms” to be comfortable for guests also, so we installed lots of drawers for storing the kids’ clothes and left lots of free space in closets for guests to hang clothes. That way, guests don’t feel that they’re displacing the kids and the kids don’t feel like they no longer have a welcoming home.

We don’t have locks on anything, but it’s similar in concept to “owner’s closets” on rental units where the owners get to store their clothes and other things that are not intended for rental guests.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
MGBMartin

Post by MGBMartin »

When my daughter left home I turned her bedroom in to a photography darkroom.
Bad spellers of the world untie | Autocorrect is my worst enema
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 »

Do nothing. Wait 4 years then revisit the question at that time.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

carloslando wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:17 am So our child will soon be off to college, freeing up a bedroom in the house.
Do you expect your child to return home when the school year is finished? During holidays?
We have been debating the best use of the room now and were hoping to hear thoughts from parents on this forum who might have faced a similar situation.
Our two kids' bedrooms remained unchanged until they graduated from school and found a place of their own.

At that point, we rearranged the rooms. One was made into a guest bedroom. The other was made into a combination home office and guest bedroom. We had no need for another exercise room or entertainment center.

That way, we always had room for the kids or other guests whenever they visited. That is important to us.

In the end the "best" repurposing of a room is highly individual. Do what suits your particular needs best.
Oh, noooooo! I'm so sorry, it's the moops! The correct answer is 'the moops'.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Agree with the others, leave as is. Another "what if", that is if he/she determines part way in that college is not for me? Then what?
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Home gym. My two main likely never to be realized aspirations in life are my own swimming pool and a home gym. I have a home gym thanks to Covid but it is not a tricked out separate room, just some weights, a yoga mat and an iPhone.
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

For now leave it as a guest room would be my choice.
Both our kids have left home. But still visit. I like it when they visit.
We are thinking about turning one guest room into a master bath/closet. Maybe, one day.
Retired 2019. So far, so good. I want to wake up every morning. But I want to die in my sleep. Just another conundrum. I think the solution might be afternoon naps ;)
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

galawdawg wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:35 am Nothing says "don't come back" to a freshman in college louder than converting their childhood bedroom to some other use. If your want your college-bound son or daughter to stay with you during holidays and the summer, leave the room as is.
^This
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
Onlineid3089

Post by Onlineid3089 »

As others have said, keep it a bedroom for them to come home to. If nothing else if they're living on campus, there is a good chance they'll be kicked out of the dorms over winter and summer break. Or at least that is how my university did it back in the mid 2000s. The only exceptions that I was aware of to that was for athletes who were in season.
lws

Post by lws »

Keep the room as a bedroom.
Kids are grown, they have their own places, yet they refer to their former rooms as "my room".
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

OpenMinded1 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:07 am It's difficult to say what the best repurposing would be without knowing more about your situation. Just a few thoughts off the top of my head:

Probably best to keep it a bedroom if you might want to sell the house in the not-to-distant future, or at least don't do anything that would make it difficult and/or expensive to convert back to a bedroom. Also, how uncomfortable and/or awkward is it going to be for overnight guests without that third bedroom. Are your kids that have moved out going to want to stay overnight from time to time? Maybe you could typically use the room as something else, but be able to convert it into an area that is relatively comfortable for a guest to sleep in. Perhaps you could have a hide-away bed there like a trundle bed or a couch the converts into a bed. However, at 11' X 11' there might not be enough room.

I always like to watch TV while working out. It makes the time go by faster, helps avoid boredom, takes my mind off the physical discomfort of working out etc. In your analysis, maybe you should consider the cost and effort involved in having TV in that room if you don't already have it there.
Actually I meant a Murphy bed, not a trundle bed. It was 4am and I was just waking up when I wrote that. :D I'm intrigued by the idea of a Murphy bed. Have toyed with putting one in our home office. One downside is that most are pretty expensive.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

deleted
Last edited by AerialWombat on Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real financial advice is purely coincidental.
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

AerialWombat wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:01 am Contrary to other posters, I applaud the unstated message to the kid: “You don’t have to go home, but you can’t stay here.”
That's absurd. The kid started college. He's not done. He hasn't graduated. So you're going to kick him out of the house?
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

I would wait a few years before making any permanent changes for the room. I have had four children go through college now (last one just graduated, yea!), but they still need a place to stay for Thanksgiving, Christmas vacation, Spring break, weekends home, etc. A few of mine moved back home temporarily after college, and thank goodness we had their own rooms for them to live in for a while.
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." Yogi Berra's financial wisdom.
JPH

Post by JPH »

What is his/her major?
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
TinyElvis

Post by TinyElvis »

My wife turned our empty spare bedroom into her "amazing closet". She now has her own room for clothes, getting ready, reading a book, etc. and loves it.
"Give a cat a fish and it will eat for a day. Teach a cat to fish and it will just sit there waiting for you to give it a fish."
pasadena

Post by pasadena »

I'm with the majority here. Don't get rid of your kid's bedroom until they actually leave home to live their life on their own. Meaning after college. Especially when you don't know what to do with the room, so you don't need it.

You can definitely use it for guests when Kid isn't home (ask Kid first, it's still their room). That just means making sure it's clean/uncluttered, there's room in the closet/dresser and maybe using different bed linen. Ask Kid to put away stuff they don't want guests to have free access to. Don't change anything else.

So guests sleep in Kid's room. Kid doesn't sleep in the guest room.
quietseas

Post by quietseas »

Does not need to be all or nothing answer here. My parents never declared that my bedroom or my brother's bedroom was officially theirs for other uses, but instead what happened is that over time while we were in college we gradually started to see items coming into the room such as an extra computer desk and hobby supplies. Parents items started to show up in closets, too.

OP is describing a 3 bedroom house with an 11x11 room, so not a large house with 5 bedrooms plus an office, loft, etc. where each room can have a dedicated purpose.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

deleted
Last edited by AerialWombat on Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real financial advice is purely coincidental.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

We had kids sharing bedrooms. I know, the horror. But the two girls were sharing a room. When the oldest left for college, her sister boxed up everything sis left behind, and took all the space for herself. The only thing we required is that she leave enough space so that the oldest would have space to sleep comfortably when she came to visit, so she got some pillows from ikea, and turned sis’ bed into a nice daybed. She also painted the room dark purple, but the angst over that is a story for another day.

As each kid left for college, we made changes to make the house more comfortable for the rest of us who remained. We needed the space. But we always had enough beds for them to visit and be comfortable, even if it wasn’t in their old room.

Anyway, the kids’ rooms don’t need preserved in amber as if they never went away. But you might want to incorporate a place for them to sleep when they come home for the summer.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

Leave the door closed and cry every time you walk past it.
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

AerialWombat wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:51 am
Tom_T wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:08 am
AerialWombat wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:01 am Contrary to other posters, I applaud the unstated message to the kid: “You don’t have to go home, but you can’t stay here.”
That's absurd. The kid started college. He's not done. He hasn't graduated. So you're going to kick him out of the house?
Yes. A month after I graduated high school, I was shown the door for the last time. This is far more common than you probably think it is, despite the current media stories about Gen Z kids living at home into their late 20s.
I don't know anyone who went off for college and was denied a room when they came home for school breaks, holiday, and summers.

I feel sorry for you. That's not something I would wish on anyone.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

quantAndHold wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:08 amThe only thing we required is that she leave enough space so that the oldest would have space to sleep comfortably when she came to visit

As each kid left for college, we made changes to make the house more comfortable for the rest of us who remained. We needed the space. But we always had enough beds for them to visit and be comfortable, even if it wasn’t in their old room.
Sounds reasonable to me.
tunafish

Post by tunafish »

galawdawg wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:35 am Nothing says "don't come back" to a freshman in college louder than converting their childhood bedroom to some other use. If your want your college-bound son or daughter to stay with you during holidays and the summer, leave the room as is.
+1 Or modify it but leave the bed etc. in it. How bizarre it must feel to go to college, summer arrives, and you have no place to live.
celia

Post by celia »

+1

I let another child move into the bedroom of one who left for college since it was a bigger bedroom and the bed was bigger. A few years later I read an article on how it would impact the college student. I regretted it as I had repurposed the tiny bedroom the younger one had moved out of. It had a bed the older one could use but he hated it. The older one was also mad that we had put all his stuff in the attic. It was like he had no longer been a part of the family.

After that I kept the other kids’ bedrooms alone until we knew they were permanently gone.

I had a co-worker whose mother had died. His father re-married while he was away at college. The father and wife moved but didn’t even tell the co-worker that he had moved or where. When the next college break came, he went home only to learn his dad didn’t live there any more. He felt horrid. He had been abandoned. But he had an older sister who he called who let him stay with her during school breaks.

Years later, he would still talk about it at work.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

According to the media, a lot of people in Virginia have turned a spare room into a grow room now that it's legal to grow 4 pot plants at a time for personal use. Legal as of July, 2021. I'm not interested.

Now if they would develop a way to distill gasoline in a spare room I'd be all over that.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

celia wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:49 pm
+1

I let another child move into the bedroom of one who left for college since it was a bigger bedroom and the bed was bigger. A few years later I read an article on how it would impact the college student. I regretted it as I had repurposed the tiny bedroom the younger one had moved out of. It had a bed the older one could use but he hated it. The older one was also mad that we had put all his stuff in the attic. It was like he had no longer been a part of the family.

After that I kept the other kids’ bedrooms alone until we knew they were permanently gone.

I had a co-worker whose mother had died. His father re-married while he was away at college. The father and wife moved but didn’t even tell the co-worker that he had moved or where. When the next college break came, he went home only to learn his dad didn’t live there any more. He felt horrid. He had been abandoned. But he had an older sister who he called who let him stay with her during school breaks.

At least he was still talking about it; I can imagine how something like that would shut a person down. Amazing how parents will treat their children. Amazing how someone will marry a person who does that to their child.

There are usually two sides to a story, but still …
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

celia wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:49 pm
+1

How sad and heartbreaking!
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." Yogi Berra's financial wisdom.
donall

Post by donall »

I wouldn’t make any changes the first year and then make any changes slowly. I will always remember a neighbor’s child being very upset when he came back from college to his old empty house that was going to be demolished. Knowing about an impending demolition and then physically seeing it were very different emotionally.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Hockey10 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:12 am Do nothing. Wait 4 years then revisit the question at that time.
+1

Jumping the proverbial gun a bit. Unless you intend to ship them off to college and keep them there during the summer. :D

Each of our college age kids still have a bedroom. The oldest kids (year 1 of grad school) is a second guest room most of the time.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

Colleges don't even let kids stay in dorms during holidays. There is no difference between repurposing a child's bedroom when they go to college vs doing it during high school. Sleeping on the couch and leaving all your stuff packed in the garage is the same at any age.
MarkerFM

Post by MarkerFM »

Our kids are late 20s and launched but they still have their own rooms in both of our places. At one time, when we had three places, they also each had a room in that one. The current places are not their childhood homes, and some of the furniture is new, but they have decorated their rooms to their own taste (things on walls, possessions, etc. were up to them. Paint, rugs, furniture etc. was up to us). One is a bit of a pack rat, and we have been slowly getting him to whittle stuff down. There are still childhood toys, sports gear, guitars, etc. stored in the basement of one place-we actually moved it 1,100 miles although there was some editing. Someday this will have to be addressed, but we aren't in a hurry.
humblecoder

Post by humblecoder »

I feel bad for the poor OP with everyone piling on. We get it. College kid needs somewhere to sleep when he is home on break. Sheesh! :happy

When I was in high school, I returned from a band trip to learn that my parents had bought a house across town and we were moving. My friend's mom was dropping me off at home, saw a "for sale" sign, and said "I didn't know you were moving." I replied "Neither did I!"

But that isn't the worst of it.

The house we were moving into was short one bedroom, so my parents decided to convert the basement into a bedroom for me. The only problem was that the basement wasn't finished. So I spent several months with my "bedroom" I'm the dining room, zero privacy, while my folks completed the renovations on the basement bedroom.

But that STILL isn't the worst of it.

In our old house, we didn't have cable TV... We got 6 basic channels through a roof antenna, but that was it. My parents made some of you BH's look like spendthrifts, as they refused to pay for TV.

Anyway, we move into the new house and the cable TV was hooked up! It was like a whole new world. I got to watch music videos on MTV, sports on the region sports network, a whole channel dedicated to weather. Incredible! One day, I came home and none of it was working. I asked my mom about it. She said "oh, we called the cable company to turn it off. I was afraid they would find out and back bill us for all of the time we had it." C'mon!

But that STILL isn't the worst of it.

Around the time I was graduating from college, my grandmother was moving in with us. We built a little apartment for her so she could have her own space. My grandmother just HAD to have cable TV, so she said that she would pay for it herself. And because she was paying for it, we got it for the entire house. Of course, I had just graduated from college and was moving out, so we finally got cable just in time for me to have flown the nest!!
Topic Author
carloslando

Post by carloslando »

OP here. Thank you all for your comments and feedback. We were indeed looking at this from our perspective and not our daughters, so a lot of your comments were eye-opening. Really grateful for the advice.

We are now planning to:

1. Switch her desk out to an electric stand-up desk I currently have in a common area (she likes the idea) and use that to WFH while my work remains hybrid/part-remote. Will be a sparse desk (essentially a large computer monitor, keyboard+mouse couple of family photos in frames), and it will really help me to work from a more private space.

2. She'll make some space (when she moves out) in a couple of dresser drawers that any guests who stay can use. (the stuff she is removing is what she intends to take to her dorm, so this is fine by her too).

3. Leave everything else as-is and revisit after she has her own place (4+ years from now at a minimum). This'll remain her room and we'll continue to refer to it that way.

thanks.
Last edited by carloslando on Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
carloslando

Post by carloslando »

JPH wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:26 am What is his/her major?
Computer Science. Was there a concern that with some majors the kid is more likely to be at home post their graduation as they figure out next steps?
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

Just to add a bit (I know OP has responded):

College semesters are around 17-18 weeks, with finals. So, around 34-36 weeks of classes. And 16-18 weeks of not-classes. Most of that is longer breaks (summer, christmas), plus medium sized breaks (Thanksgiving often amounts to close to a week, as does spring break, and there are some 3-4 day weekends as well).

So, unless your kid is going 4000 miles away to college or whatever, there's a pretty good chance they'll come home ~4 times/year, for about a third of the year. Maybe even a bit more if their college is close (an hour or two's drive away).

And, during COVID, there was more at-home time for many college kids. Hopefully, that's fully behind us, but you never know for sure...

And, upon college graduation, the kid may/want the safety and low-cost of home, at least for a little while. Even kids who get solid jobs and launch well may want to be at home for a month or two, post-college.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

carloslando wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:19 pm
JPH wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:26 am What is his/her major?
Computer Science. Was there a concern that with some majors the kid is more likely to be at home post their graduation as they figure out next steps?
Once she gets to be a junior, she will likely spend most of her summers away at an internship. At the very least, she’ll have an apartment near school, and won’t be getting kicked out of her housing every time school is out. I personally would revisit sooner than four years if you want the space for something else. You can make a comfortable place for her to visit without it remaining “her bedroom.”

Your kid is not going to be traumatized by you using the room for something else. But she does need a comfortable place to stay during school breaks.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap »

carloslando wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:15 pm OP here. Thank you all for your comments and feedback. We were indeed looking at this from our perspective and not our daughters, so a lot of your comments were eye-opening. Really grateful for the advice.

We are now planning to:

1. Switch her desk out to an electric stand-up desk I currently have in a common area (she likes the idea) and use that to WFH while my work remains hybrid/part-remote. Will be a sparse desk (essentially a large computer monitor, keyboard+mouse couple of family photos in frames), and it will really help me to work from a more private space.

2. She'll make some space (when she moves out) in a couple of dresser drawers that any guests who stay can use. (the stuff she is removing is what she intends to take to her dorm, so this is fine by her too).

3. Leave everything else as-is and revisit after she has her own place (4+ years from now at a minimum). This'll remain her room and we'll continue to refer to it that way.

thanks.
I want to commend you OP for your sensitivity. So many people in your position would just double-down and insist that it's your house and therefore your rules.
Every day I can hike is a good day.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

humblecoder wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:43 pm I feel bad for the poor OP with everyone piling on.
I feel bad when threads are a bunch of crosstalk with wildly varied, unsupported opinions answering questions that weren't even asked. This was a great thread!