Safe disinfectants for retainers

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Caduceus

Safe disinfectants for retainers

Post by Caduceus »

My husband accidentally dropped my dental retainers into a toilet bowl. Although there was only water in it when he dropped them, it's still a toilet bowl. Are there any safe disinfectants that would completely sanitize them or am I out of luck and will have to get a new pair? Something that would clean them but would still be safe for me to put in my mouth after cleaning.

I'd prefer not to make a new pair of retainers since I only wear them a couple times a month to keep my teeth straight and it would cost me a couple hundred dollars. I can't boil them because they're made of plastic. I usually soak them in chlorhexidine mouthwash but am not sure if this will do the trick.
mega317

Re: Safe disinfectants for retainers

Post by mega317 »

Yes chlorhexidine will kill everything. After that slather it in some purell, and then a good scrub with regular hand soap. The issue here is the mental hurdle you're going to have to clear.
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

I wear a night guard - perhaps the plastic/resin its made out of similar. I've never had this happen since I clean it in the kitchen - just not enough room on my bathroom sink counter, not for sanitary concerns, but I digress. If that happened, and if wanting to add another layer of protection, I'd perhaps call the provider or dentist and see if they might let you bring it in for an ultrasound cleaning. My guess is the fear is more bacteria than a virus attaching to it, and they are larger, however, there are perhaps micro scratches from the wear.
“To be a Virginian either by Birth, Marriage, Adoption, or even on one’s Mother’s side, is an Introduction to any State in the Union, a Passport to any Country, and a Benediction from Above.”—Anonymous
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Soap and water? Or is this a trick question?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
rick51

Post by rick51 »

If the toilet is in my home, used only by me and my wife, then I would think soap and water is fine. If it’s the toilet bowl at the train station, we’ll…
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

A quick Google search turned up this... https://centralcoastorthodontics.com.au ... -retainer/
Retired 2018 | currently ~59/38/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Also get a new husband.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

151 proof rum?
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

rick51 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:09 am If the toilet is in my home, used only by me and my wife, then I would think soap and water is fine. If it’s the toilet bowl at the train station, we’ll…
+1

My thoughts too.
Chardo

Post by Chardo »

I used to use Listerine back in the day.

My retainer accidentally fell into the toilet, as it was being flushed. Broke the toilet somehow. Had to replace the retainer and the toilet. Dad was not happy.
blueberrypi

Post by blueberrypi »

Denture cleaning tablets are my go to. Use a toothbrush to give them a scrub during the process as well. Listerine would be a good choice also.
Zubs

Post by Zubs »

I alternate everyday between either hydrogen peroxide or isopropyl alcohol.

Just enough to cover the retainers and I let them soak for for about 5 min. Finish up by drying them.

It’s cheap if you buy the peroxide and alcohol in bulk.

Been doing this for about 10 years and never had any problems.
Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 »

Thread involves medical risks which are off-topic for this forum. Consult a medical professional for the appropriate answer. The topic is locked.