Broken fridge

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Sevo

Broken fridge

Post by Sevo »

My fridge and freezer in my apartment has now broken for a second time in a month. It was just fixed and i will now have to throw away all my groceries and frozen foods again after just restocking. Previously, the fridge/freezer was broken for over a week while the fridge guy came without the right parts and had to order a new part. This whole ordeal was expensive and i had to eat out every day for about 10 days…it was expensive! Not to mention all my time wasted for the fridge guy to come twice and spend over 5 hours fixing it! My question now is, do I ask the landlord to reimburse me for the all the wasted $$ in groceries? We are talking maybe a few hundred dollars. The first time i decided I didn't want to ask because it would be petty.
but now I am getting annoyed that this is happening again and the freezer wasn’t fixed correctly the first time!
Normchad

Re: Broken fridge

Post by Normchad »

If this happened to me once, I’d just let it go. But since it’s happened twice, I’d ask for compensation. I doubt you’ll get any cash, but maybe two free weeks of rent?
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Is something like this covered by renters insurance? I have no idea what the ramifications of making a claim are for renters insurance and I also dont know what typical deductibles are so its likely this is a dumb suggestion.

At the least id make a fairly strongly worded message to the landlord that a new fridge is required.
DoubleComma

Post by DoubleComma »

I’m fairly confident this would be covered by renters, I would ask you agent.
Topic Author
Sevo

Post by Sevo »

Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately, i do not have renters insurance so that’s out of the question.
Maybe i should get it

I also just moved into this apartment so i want to develop a good relationship with my landlord (its an individual, not a large company). We both don’t know each other very well. But This fridge thing is stressing me out. I hat eating out a lot and this whole ordeal is starting to really add up $$
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

The tenant’s loss unless it was due to the landlord’s negligence.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

Sevo wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:26 pm Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately, i do not have renters insurance so that’s out of the question.
Maybe i should get it

I also just moved into this apartment so i want to develop a good relationship with my landlord (its an individual, not a large company). We both don’t know each other very well. But This fridge thing is stressing me out. I hat eating out a lot and this whole ordeal is starting to really add up $$
You should absolutely have renter's insurance. As for whether this would have been covered, it's tough to say. You'd have to ask your insurance agent.

For the future, after a refrigerator repair, you should wait a week before fully restocking. While there aren't a lot of moving parts, the parts are filled with a gas/liquid, with somewhat high pressures. A pinhole leak in a bad solder joint takes a few days to cause problems.

Where this happened a second time after repairs were completed, you could ask nicely if there is anything the landlord can do to ease the financial burden.
PaunchyPirate

Post by PaunchyPirate »

You should definitely have renters insurance even if it would not help you in this situation. There probably would be a deductible that would be higher than your loss of food. But either way, look into getting insurance for larger loss situations.
DarkHelmetII

Post by DarkHelmetII »

1) Even if renters insurance would cover this IMHO not worth jeopardizing future premium increases for a couple hundred dollars.
2) Broken fridge aside, take a serious look at renters insurance especially liability.
3) Don't ask for the $$ but ask them for a new fridge, they probably need one soon anyway. Tell them it's not absolutely urgent - show you are flexible - maybe timebox it to 4 or 6 weeks so they can find a decent price. "Forgiving" the few hundred could build up a great deal of goodwill. But definitely let them that you are out $X though not asking for it above and beyond a new fridge.
rascott

Post by rascott »

Sevo wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:26 pm Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately, i do not have renters insurance so that’s out of the question.
Maybe i should get it

You need to get renters insurance ASAP. The landlord (or their insurance) is not financially responsible for any of your possessions in the case of a larger catastrophe than some spoiled food.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

Ask the landlord if he would assist you in pressing a claim for the lost food against the repair company.

They are really the ones at fault.
Answering a question is easy -- asking the right question is the hard part.
z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l »

Argument against renters insurance if you don't have tons of valuable things, I had a serious fire in my apartment a few years back and had to move. All of the contents of the kitchen were totaled due to smoke/water/debris and lots of items elsewhere were not worth cleaning. Yet all told, replacing all of the lost items still amounted to less than the renters insurance would have cost over the previous years. Unless your apartment is totaled every 10-15 years, or if you have lots of expensive items, I doubt it pays off. And that is ignoring investment returns on the premiums which for the first 10 years would have tripled in the stock market.

I wouldn't ask for compensation for the food, it was on you to put hundreds(!) of dollars of food into a fridge with obvious problems. Also, it is possible to eat cheaply without a fridge for a week so that was a choice not something forced on you. The only thing the landlord owes you is compensation for the repairs, if for some strange reason you had to pay for them, and ultimately a new fridge. I would ask for that.
70% Global Stocks / 25% Bonds / 5% cash
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

z3r0c00l wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:20 am Argument against renters insurance if you don't have tons of valuable things, I had a serious fire in my apartment a few years back and had to move. All of the contents of the kitchen were totaled due to smoke/water/debris and lots of items elsewhere were not worth cleaning. Yet all told, replacing all of the lost items still amounted to less than the renters insurance would have cost over the previous years. Unless your apartment is totaled every 10-15 years, or if you have lots of expensive items, I doubt it pays off. And that is ignoring investment returns on the premiums which for the first 10 years would have tripled in the stock market.

I wouldn't ask for compensation for the food, it was on you to put hundreds(!) of dollars of food into a fridge with obvious problems. Also, it is possible to eat cheaply without a fridge for a week so that was a choice not something forced on you. The only thing the landlord owes you is compensation for the repairs, if for some strange reason you had to pay for them, and ultimately a new fridge. I would ask for that.
Renter's insurance is about a lot more than your stuff. It can help you pay for temporary housing. The liability component is huge. If something happens (e.g. fire, flooding) and it's found that you're at fault, the landlord's insurance company can come after you. If you ever have people over and someone is injured (or does something stupid like driving drunk), it offers you protection against related lawsuits.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

exodusNH wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:26 am Renter's insurance is about a lot more than your stuff. It can help you pay for temporary housing. The liability component is huge. If something happens (e.g. fire, flooding) and it's found that you're at fault, the landlord's insurance company can come after you. If you ever have people over and someone is injured (or does something stupid like driving drunk), it offers you protection against related lawsuits.
+1 I would absolutely not be without renters insurance for this very reason. Honestly I can afford to replace my stuff easily but the liability is what concerns me. My landlord actually insists I have renter insurance though I maintain a much higher limit than he requires (I have significant assets). I also have umbrella on top of that.
Last edited by THY4373 on Fri May 13, 2022 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l »

exodusNH wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:26 am
Renter's insurance is about a lot more than your stuff. It can help you pay for temporary housing. The liability component is huge. If something happens (e.g. fire, flooding) and it's found that you're at fault, the landlord's insurance company can come after you. If you ever have people over and someone is injured (or does something stupid like driving drunk), it offers you protection against related lawsuits.
Insurance to protect me against other insurance now? : ) I have quite a few friends in that industry, I could see one of them using it with aplomb.

By the way, the person who caused the catastrophic fire in our building, ruining 5 apartments including his own, was never sued by anyone and got to move into another apartment in the building. That is in the full knowledge that he let someone stay there who caused the fire. The building's insurance paid for it all.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

z3r0c00l wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:33 am
exodusNH wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:26 am
Insurance to protect me against other insurance now? : ) I have quite a few friends in that industry, I could see one of them using it with aplomb.

By the way, the person who caused the catastrophic fire in our building, ruining 5 apartments including his own, was never sued by anyone and got to move into another apartment in the building. That is in the full knowledge that he let someone stay there who caused the fire. The building's insurance paid for it all.
Then your friend got lucky. Don't confuse a good outcome with a good strategy.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

THY4373 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:33 am
exodusNH wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:26 am Renter's insurance is about a lot more than your stuff. It can help you pay for temporary housing. The liability component is huge. If something happens (e.g. fire, flooding) and it's found that you're at fault, the landlord's insurance company can come after you. If you ever have people over and someone is injured (or does something stupid like driving drunk), it offers you protection against related lawsuits.
+1 I would absolutely not be without renters insurance for this very reason. Honestly I can afford to replace my stuff easily but the liability is what concerns me. My landlord actually insists I have renter insurance though I maintain a much higher limit than he requires (I have significant assets). I also have umbrella on top of that.
That's probably because he maintains a high deductible on the building and expects to go after your insurance to recover it in the event you're found at fault. Landlords shifting insurance burden onto tenants is becoming more common.
z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l »

exodusNH wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:38 am
Then your friend got lucky. Don't confuse a good outcome with a good strategy.
He isn't my friend since he caused the fire that made me move out! : )
sls239

Post by sls239 »

1) Buy renters insurance

2) Buy a fridge thermometer so you can see if the fridge is working properly

3) Buy a cooler and some ice, because no you don’t have to eat out every day.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

a number of years ago when ours crapped out we just rented a small refrigerator. Was delivered same day we called and within a few hours, the temperature was down enough to transfer everything (silver lining was that we threw away some stuff that we probably would never have used again).
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Topic Author
Sevo

Post by Sevo »

Thanks everyone for the input!
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

Sevo wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:47 pm My fridge and freezer in my apartment has now broken for a second time in a month. It was just fixed and i will now have to throw away all my groceries and frozen foods again after just restocking. Previously, the fridge/freezer was broken for over a week while the fridge guy came without the right parts and had to order a new part. This whole ordeal was expensive and i had to eat out every day for about 10 days…it was expensive! Not to mention all my time wasted for the fridge guy to come twice and spend over 5 hours fixing it! My question now is, do I ask the landlord to reimburse me for the all the wasted $$ in groceries? We are talking maybe a few hundred dollars. The first time i decided I didn't want to ask because it would be petty.
but now I am getting annoyed that this is happening again and the freezer wasn’t fixed correctly the first time!
It does not hurt to ask for reimbursement but I doubt they will agree. However, you can use your loss as leverage to get a new refrigerator. I would push hard for a new replacement.
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

DarkHelmetII wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:36 am 1) Even if renters insurance would cover this IMHO not worth jeopardizing future premium increases for a couple hundred dollars.
2) Broken fridge aside, take a serious look at renters insurance especially liability.
3) Don't ask for the $$ but ask them for a new fridge, they probably need one soon anyway. Tell them it's not absolutely urgent - show you are flexible - maybe timebox it to 4 or 6 weeks so they can find a decent price. "Forgiving" the few hundred could build up a great deal of goodwill. But definitely let them that you are out $X though not asking for it above and beyond a new fridge.
Costco delivered fridge, best likely price. No need to wait for a sale.
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

Maybe i should get it

The Owner-Renter relationship is best kept to a business relationship. Renter pays on time and takes reasonable care of the place. Owner takes care of the building infrastructure and other provided items such as water tank/heater/AC/plumbing/roof and included utilities if any, and stays generally invisible to the renter.

Going w/o renters insurance is close to insane! Check your renters agreement....many require renters to have such a policy. Shop around, prices vary widely, with some good coverage from highly rated companies available.

If the fridge goes out again, buy an ice chest and use it. It is a little work, but can save you some money compared to eating out...folks do it all the time while camping or tailgating.