Stone patio really costs $15K?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
PhillyBird

Stone patio really costs $15K?

Post by PhillyBird »

We're looking to build a stone patio with a fire pit and have gotten two quotes so far. Both quotes came in around $15K. Our budget is half that. I'm including a picture of approximate size/layout of what we're looking for. For those of you who had patios like this built, is $15K a reasonable price? Or am I being taken for a spin in this crazy market/inflation environment? P.S. We live in a medium cost of living area.

Pizza_and_Beer

Re: Stone patio really costs $15K?

Post by Pizza_and_Beer »

Can we assume that's a wood fire pit, not a natural gas one?
chazas

Post by chazas »

The materials have skyrocketed in price according to my landscaper. I’m looking for 3 large Techoblock pavers to match what I have. I’m told they'll cost more than an entire pallet did 2 years ago.
Topic Author
PhillyBird

Post by PhillyBird »

Pizza_and_Beer wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:29 pm Can we assume that's a wood fire pit, not a natural gas one?
Yes, natural wood fire pit.
nydoc

Post by nydoc »

15k for that? Are patios in your area paved with gold?
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

looks like 15 ft diameter circle; about 700 sq ft?

googled "stone patio cost", got "The average cost to install a stone patio ranges from about $3,900 to $15,000 for a 300 square foot area. Regardless of the stone you choose, labor stays right in the $8 to $15 range, mostly depending on where you live. Materials make or break the budget, ranging from $5 to $35 per square foot"

since you're more than twice 300 sq ft, at least double those estimates? Then add to run the gas lines and the partial wall at back,plus the actual firepit and its wall. I'd say you're in the ball park.

LATE EDIT: my thanks to fatcoffeedrinker. Area is closer to 175 sq ft, so my calcs are 4x too large. So, so sorry. I asked google for "area of 15 ft diameter" it returned my original number above. I didn't notice it had changed my request to 15 ft RADIUS.
Last edited by heartwood on Fri May 13, 2022 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
nydoc

Post by nydoc »

You can tell the contractor in case they were confused it’s a wood burning fire pit not dollar burning one.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

Did they break down time and materials?
Topic Author
PhillyBird

Post by PhillyBird »

heartwood wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:35 pm looks like 15 ft diameter circle; about 700 sq ft?

googled "stone patio cost", got "The average cost to install a stone patio ranges from about $3,900 to $15,000 for a 300 square foot area. Regardless of the stone you choose, labor stays right in the $8 to $15 range, mostly depending on where you live. Materials make or break the budget, ranging from $5 to $35 per square foot"

since you're more than twice 300 sq ft, at least double those estimates? Then add to run the gas lines and the partial wall at back,plus the actual firepit and its wall. I'd say you're in the ball park.
Thank you. I've looked at the exact same site! Although I estimated sq ft at around 500 with mid range price of materials, and no gas work.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

OK, natural wood fire pit. Drainage for rain?

edit: BTW, it looks great!
Last edited by heartwood on Thu May 12, 2022 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
PhillyBird

Post by PhillyBird »

nydoc wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:37 pm You can tell the contractor in case they were confused it’s a wood burning fire pit not dollar burning one.
Good point. The first two quotes were email / picture only. I have one coming on Saturday to actually look at my backyard and I'll be sure to mention it's wood fire pit only.
CascadiaSoonish

Post by CascadiaSoonish »

Those are concrete block pavers in the picture, not stone, correct?

FWIW we recently paid considerably more than $15K for a stone patio, walk, and graveled area. Materials are shockingly expensive and a reliable high-quality contracting firm is expensive. We paid for it to be done right, as we were replacing some stonework from 15 years ago that we did on the cheap and hadn't aged well at all.
Topic Author
PhillyBird

Post by PhillyBird »

snackdog wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:38 pm Did they break down time and materials?
Negative. Actually, I'm get a feeling they both just spit out a number without working up a detailed estimate. It was email / photo based estimate.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

If the request was for what was shown in the picture, I could see them possibly thinking the intention was to including wiring for the lights I see on that bench, and the path that integrates into the patio under the awning.

Even then, that sounds very steep to me, but I have not tried to hire any contractors in the current environment.

I would advise asking if any specific factors contribute to price quoted or if they can share a breakdown.

Is do-it-yourself an option? It would be moderately physical work due to leveling the ground (very important for a sharp look and low risk of tripping) and moving the stone, but these are approachable tasks to learn.

If you want to mortar the stone for the bench, that takes practice to look good, but some prefer the drystone (no mortar) look and use a construction adhesive to secure stones in place. The picture you shared looks like it was likely done this way. There are also some higher temperature rated construction adhesives that might be suitable for the firepit if you want to prevent it from shifting, too.
chazas wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:30 pm I’m looking for 3 large Techoblock pavers to match what I have. I’m told they'll cost more than an entire pallet did 2 years ago.
I'm inclined to suspect part of that is due to custom ordering a specific style that may have been a normally stocked item 2 years ago, but hard to find now. When I do a quick check on Lowes' website, prices on basic or clay pavers look similar to what I remember from the last time I bought any. On the other hand, it's possible higher end products are experiencing more of a shortage.
Topic Author
PhillyBird

Post by PhillyBird »

CascadiaSoonish wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:47 pm Those are concrete block pavers in the picture, not stone, correct?

FWIW we recently paid considerably more than $15K for a stone patio, walk, and graveled area. Materials are shockingly expensive and a reliable high-quality contracting firm is expensive. We paid for it to be done right, as we were replacing some stonework from 15 years ago that we did on the cheap and hadn't aged well at all.
Thank you for sharing. It may very well be that $15K estimate is reasonable. I've just never had one of these done and don't know anyone who did recently.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Here is a link to relatively recent material price list you might find useful: https://uploads.documents.cimpress.io/v ... bu-digital

When I built my own patio, the total material cost was right about $10/sqft, including base material, sand, pavers, etc. but that was a long time ago.

Really, your job looks kinda small. So they might not want to do it right now, when demand is high. They might give you a different number if you called in late fall…..

But if 15K is the number, I’d also investigate stamped concrete. I think it looks great, and is lower maintenance.
Topic Author
PhillyBird

Post by PhillyBird »

iamlucky13 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:51 pm If the request was for what was shown in the picture, I could see them possibly thinking the intention was to including wiring for the lights I see on that bench, and the path that integrates into the patio under the awning.

Even then, that sounds very steep to me, but I have not tried to hire any contractors in the current environment.

I would advise asking if any specific factors contribute to price quoted or if they can share a breakdown.

Is do-it-yourself an option? It would be moderately physical work due to leveling the ground (very important for a sharp look and low risk of tripping) and moving the stone, but these are approachable tasks to learn.

If you want to mortar the stone for the bench, that takes practice to look good, but some prefer the drystone (no mortar) look and use a construction adhesive to secure stones in place. The picture you shared looks like it was likely done this way. There are also some higher temperature rated construction adhesives that might be suitable for the firepit if you want to prevent it from shifting, too.
chazas wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:30 pm I’m looking for 3 large Techoblock pavers to match what I have. I’m told they'll cost more than an entire pallet did 2 years ago.
I'm inclined to suspect part of that is due to custom ordering a specific style that may have been a normally stocked item 2 years ago, but hard to find now. When I do a quick check on Lowes' website, prices on basic or clay pavers look similar to what I remember from the last time I bought any. On the other hand, it's possible higher end products are experiencing more of a shortage.
As my wife says, let's just put it off till next year when things "settle down" with prices and supply chain issues, and possibly the housing market cooling off. DIY unfortunately is not an option due to back pain caused by herniated disk.
nanciT

Post by nanciT »

We just tore out one of our lawns in the backyard and put in a stone patio. We could not believe how the prices at the rockery had gone up. The price along with delivery was unreal.
Not sure where you are located but we are in Northern CA.
Your bid does not seem high
chazas

Post by chazas »

iamlucky13 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:51 pm.
These are not basic Lowes products and they’re still in the catalog.
Watty

Post by Watty »

The cost of the stone, and not cement or brick, could be the problem since the price of it can vary a lot and some stone can be crazy expensive.

That picture also has electric lights and if you want that then that can also add to the cost depending on what what needs to be done to add that. Solar light might be an alternative.

If you did it with brick or concrete that would be something many people could do themselves for maybe a thousand dollars(wild guess) or so.
MaydayMalone

Post by MaydayMalone »

Exactly one year ago I put in a brand new 456 sqft bluestone patio. It was set on a concrete base (not a stone dust base). They had to dig up and remove an existing brick patio on a dust base as well. Total cost for everything was $14,250 and I am in a very HCOL area. It may be possible that materials have gone up a lot since 1 year ago, but I think your quote seems high.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

chazas wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:06 pm
iamlucky13 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:51 pm.
These are not basic Lowes products and they’re still in the catalog.
Yeah, I figured they're probably not Lowes. That was just the benchmark I had ready for a quick check.

But in the catalog might be different from in-stock at your or your landscaper's supplier. If they're regularly selling a style, it might not a big deal sell to partial pallets since what you don't buy will go to the next customer. If they stopped carrying it last year, and if they can't order less than a full pallet, they might add a bigger markup to account for the risk the rest of the pallet just sits in their yard for a long time.

Just speculating though. If you haven't already, you could try calling other places that carry that brand to see if they can offer a better price. If they have it in stock, they might.
59Gibson

Post by 59Gibson »

Ugh. I'd put that project on hold, or at the very least get 4-5 contractors on your property to assess in person. I do not have an exact #, but I do know 15k does not represent a great value.
forgeblast

Post by forgeblast »

So to do it right, I worked a few summers installing these. 1. put a piece of rebar in the center where you want it and run a string out to the max. Take a can of spray paint and mark the circle. Remove grass topsoil and 6-8 inches of soil under it. Then get some modified stone (2b with stone dust). Use a tamper and tamp it down every couple of inches. Then go over it with a level make sure its level. that small i probable would not mess with slope.
Then get a piece of 1'' black pipe (or two) and put sand in. screed the sand then start laying the bricks. (they sell complete kits no cutting required) go to a brick dealer). Place all your stones down and add the outer ring which supports the stone, or we used to just use mortar type s. once its dry or ring supported tamp the stones down again (small area like that use a hand tamper or rent a gas powered one). then build the fire pit.
It would probably take me a day or so to do alone. If you break it up its a very manageable project. good luck if your going to diy it.
Johndoefire65

Post by Johndoefire65 »

Wow, could buy a house in LCOL area around here a few years ago for 15k. Curious to see how this pans out.
Interestedposter

Post by Interestedposter »

We were planning on replacing our old wood deck with composite. Weren’t going to change the footprint and leave the original foundation. Planning on DYI installation.So new flooring and railing. Just the cost of materials was $15k. Decided to wait, strip the old deck and re stain. 360 sqft
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

This is not a job requiring high skills. If you are in good health and have the time, makes sense to DIY if the labor cost is most of that $15k. It's just a matter of measuring, flattening the ground and preparing a layer underneath for the stones to sit on. Can use a hand truck or wheelbarrow to reduce the heavy lifting. I expect you would also want a ground tamper tool. Another significant savings could come from using concrete pavers instead of stone.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I would not expect that this price will ever drop. I'm about to have my house repainted by the same outfit who did it 11 years ago. I was speaking to the owner who said his oldest employee was making $30k a year last time they painted. Now, he's making 6 figures. It's not just the skill level of the people doing this (which is not zero), it's also the ability to get workers who actually know how to work. Like when they're going to start at 7am, they don't stumble in at 10:30 and let the foreman know that they have to leave at 2. Or just not show up at all.

We have a long sidewalk made of what looks like exactly the same material. But that was 10 years ago, so I won't quote the price or the 2 bluestone stairways using local granite stone risers and rebuilding one stone retaining wall and replacing a wood railroad tie retaining wall with stone. It was less than $15k but again, that was 10 years ago. It took them a full 7 days to do the work working from 7am till 7pm.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

I am familiar with a 20 X 30' patio recently completed for approximately $21,000. It included a concrete patio poured first, then covered with quality tile. A retaining wall of height appropriate for sitting was constructed around two sides and covered with tile. Landscaping was added down the 20' side. MCOL area.

Tim
Greentree

Post by Greentree »

We did a nice brick patio that is about this size (maybe larger) 3 years ago. It cost $6k. However, they did want $7k for a brick bench. I decided to leave the bench off and go with patio furniture and some planters. You could also replace the built in fireplace with a solo stove or similar. You may want to have them break down the costs to get a better understanding and then you can decide what is worth it, unless you really just want it to be exactly like the picture.
LiveItUpBySaving

Post by LiveItUpBySaving »

I DIY'd something similar in my backyard about 10 years ago. No bench, however. The quotes I got back then were 10K or so. I ultimately decided to do it on my own, it wasn't all that hard with YouTube. Materials cost me about 2K. Did it slowly over a 3 day weekend. Invested the surplus.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

Not it doesn't. Shop around. Find someone else.
VT & HFEA
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

With paver jobs, material is cheap-er, labor is expensive.
runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

The thing I've found by quotes where they don't come and inspect the site, is:

1. During shortages and high demand, you'll be quoted higher (not solely due to prices and demand). They likely aren't hurting for work so if they can anchor you to a higher price by throwing out a higher starting point that you agree to, they're going to. They may not think you are serious as well if it's not in-person.

2. In low demand times, you'll be quoted much lower than the bill likely eb as they try to secure the job first then worry about added charges.
Ron
Location: Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

Post by Ron »

Interestedposter wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:21 am We were planning on replacing our old wood deck with composite. Weren’t going to change the footprint and leave the original foundation. Planning on DYI installation.So new flooring and railing. Just the cost of materials was $15k. Decided to wait, strip the old deck and re stain. 360 sqft
We just had our 208 sq. ft. deck totally demolished and rebuilt, including new footings (Trex surface, replacing original total pressure treated wood, installed 28 years ago) two weeks ago. Contract was $18k.

Just for comparison purposes (Mid-Atlantic).

- Ron
T4REngineer

Post by T4REngineer »

While I think its high compared to DIY with the limited details in the quotes its about like me asking "Buying a a new car, is 40k high"

The material cost will vary widely and you really need to nail that down in the quote to get an idea of where the cost is coming from. Also as already mentioned wood burning vs. natural gas ( either way plan for a place for the water to go and/or a cover on that fire pit if you live in an area that sees rain). The lights are also a potential huge adder if that's trenching for electric, paying an electrician to tie into the panel - if they didn't etc.) - my guess is they assumed no lights, battery lights or solar lights as without a site visit - pending location of your breaker box just the installation of electric could vary widely.

I will say this - becoming good friends with a general contractor/small construction business owner has opened my eyes to how much we as consumers do not appreciate the hidden costs of running a crew 40hrs a week and balk at the quotes we see for minor work (yes this counts as minor). This becomes two fold if you want the guys doing the grunt work to be making a living wage - I'll end with this - paying for quality work from contractor is well worth it but the catch is finding that. I'd wager 50% is total garbage work, 30% is passable, 15% is good and <5% is truly art - the guys love what they do, know all the tricks are methodical about their work and want it to outlast them/the homeowner.

Last thing - these guys have more work then they can do so they simply toss out high numbers with minimal work (no onsite visit) and take what sticks. A local roofer is booked out all year and the average cost of the jobs is over 20k, pre pandemic it was in the low teens (LCOL midwest area). Point is , he has ZERO incentive to not go after the most profitable jobs because there is more work then time.
fatcoffeedrinker

Post by fatcoffeedrinker »

heartwood wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:35 pm looks like 15 ft diameter circle; about 700 sq ft?

That would be 175 square feet, not 700. Area is pi*r^2, not pi*d^2.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

A 15 ft diameter circle has an area of 177 sq. feet. (Pi times radius squared, not diameter)

The real problem is that any corner-cutting on installation will not show up for a few years. You need to remove sod and topsoil, put in a layer of gravel, a layer of sand and then lay the pavers. Plus a gravel pit for drainage of the fire pit. Anything less will settle unevenly making the surface uneven over time.

DIY might be a lower cost option, but the work is pretty heavy. Personally, I would hire day labor for this and act as my own contractor. Might cut the cost in half without giving myself a heart attack.

Solar lights are a much better option than running electricity. You are not going to be sitting on the patio in the middle of winter when solar might not have enough oomph.
Answering a question is easy -- asking the right question is the hard part.
masteraleph

Post by masteraleph »

$8-$15 an hour, when Target is paying $20/hr to start for cashiers? Methinks that that website might not be updated for either materials or labor.
Chardo

Post by Chardo »

masteraleph wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:58 am

$8-$15 an hour, when Target is paying $20/hr to start for cashiers? Methinks that that website might not be updated for either materials or labor.
Per square foot, not per hour.
one_speed

Post by one_speed »

Its high but maybe not crazy

Received similar pricing from two contractors for a 200 sf patio in our HCOL area. Had no desire to spend 10k+

So, looked at DIY
Materials ended up about $2500 including gravel, sand, and the pavers themselves with tax and delivery. Pay for delivery, don't waste your effort loading unloading yourself.
Rental equipment of a plate compactor, a pickup truck for hauling removed earth away, and a wet saw for cutting was well under a thousand and that's being pretty lazy keeping equipment for better part of a week when could have optimized it better
LABOR: well how much do you value your time, and your energy? It's not complicated work but it is heavy manual labor. The fire is warmer and the drinks are colder when you are done though.

If you're even remotely considering DIY I'd say it's not as difficult as it may seem at first. Plenty of decent YouTube references even.

Even if you arent going to DIY, you can get a material price from a local contractor supplier. Visit them, look at options vs costs, maybe get contractor references
1 you will be able to spec the exact materials you want, helping yourself and bidders
2 you will then be able to mentally deduct materials from the total price of a contractors bid, so that you can see if that's a labor + profit price you are ok with paying.

Lastly, if you just buy some sort of metal fire pit, you can move it out of the way and put a table in its place when that's a better use of the space. The stone pit only has one use.

If I was going to do it at someone else's house? Yeah I'd ask for $15,000. Worst they can say is 'no'
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

one_speed wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:17 am Its high but maybe not crazy

Received similar pricing from two contractors for a 200 sf patio in our HCOL area. Had no desire to spend 10k+

So, looked at DIY
Materials ended up about $2500 including gravel, sand, and the pavers themselves with tax and delivery. Pay for delivery, don't waste your effort loading unloading yourself.
Rental equipment of a plate compactor, a pickup truck for hauling removed earth away, and a wet saw for cutting was well under a thousand and that's being pretty lazy keeping equipment for better part of a week when could have optimized it better
LABOR: well how much do you value your time, and your energy? It's not complicated work but it is heavy manual labor. The fire is warmer and the drinks are colder when you are done though.

If you're even remotely considering DIY I'd say it's not as difficult as it may seem at first. Plenty of decent YouTube references even.

Even if you arent going to DIY, you can get a material price from a local contractor supplier. Visit them, look at options vs costs, maybe get contractor references
1 you will be able to spec the exact materials you want, helping yourself and bidders
2 you will then be able to mentally deduct materials from the total price of a contractors bid, so that you can see if that's a labor + profit price you are ok with paying.

Lastly, if you just buy some sort of metal fire pit, you can move it out of the way and put a table in its place when that's a better use of the space. The stone pit only has one use.

If I was going to do it at someone else's house? Yeah I'd ask for $15,000. Worst they can say is 'no'
I have a friend who did a lovely blue stone patio that is about OP’s size and contains a table for 4. About 10k. I agree with poster above who suggested a moveable fire pit so a table can be used. She used the table every ….
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

I think the lesson is not to send a photo like this and in order to assess cost of a project. The probably put the same level of effort into their pricing that was put into sending the photo.

You are wise to be meeting with a contractor at the site. Assuming this is going into a grass site as in the photo, they will need to do a fair bit of site prep to provide a stable base for the pavers and blocks. There may also be irrigation work to do. If you do have convenient access to electric, then I would seriously consider putting in electric to the site, even if it was just conduit or an outlet. Most of the time people will wish that they did later.

My guestimate for MCOL area, based on photo for wood burner would be in the $10-15k range depending on materials selected for an area that is currently in sod. If someone was much less, I would want some clear specs in the contract for the prep work.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
Point

Post by Point »

You can always DIY. It’s fairly straightforward to do.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

fatcoffeedrinker wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:31 am

That would be 175 square feet, not 700. Area is pi*r^2, not pi*d^2.
Of course you're correct. So, so. I'll take the blame,but I actually asked google "15 ft diameter circle area" and didn't notice it gave 700 sq ft but mentioned it was for a 15 ft RADIUS.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

My calculation is for a 15 ft radius not diameter. Actual area is about 175 sq ft. Thanks to fatcoffeedrinker for correcting me.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Did you tell the contractors to skip the wall and lighting? That would bring cost down some.
It seems outrageous to me but it's been a few years since we have contracted and I keep hearing stories of much higher costs.
TheGiantess

Post by TheGiantess »

My in laws just had a paver patio put in. It is larger than the one in your photo but no fire pit or wall and it was $19,000. Living in Midwest. All the quotes were about that or more. Hard time finding pavers. Everyone was busy. They found one guy who had put in a fence for them who did it with his guys. No contract written up. :shock: but it worked out and they did a beautiful job. My FIL thinks doing projects without a contract is fine and scoffed at the rest of us for worrying. He said he knew the guy was good for it. He was right this time, anyway. Good luck. I would wait it I were you.
TG
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

A number of years ago I got some estimates to have some trees removed. We put the job off and then a year later 2008 happened and those contractors came back to me begging to do the job at largely reduced rates. I ended up hiring a contractor that normally only did commercial work but shifted to residential since nearly all commercial work was on hold.
IF you put it off and IF we do end up in a recession next year these same contractors will come back to you at half the price. Of course demand/inflation could also continue at which point you might regret not doing the job now.
Californiastate

Post by Californiastate »

PhillyBird wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:47 pm
snackdog wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:38 pm Did they break down time and materials?
Negative. Actually, I'm get a feeling they both just spit out a number without working up a detailed estimate. It was email / photo based estimate.
As a retired contractor I emphathize for the contractor here. Free detailed bids aren't a civil or moral right. I'm sure these contractors get requests for free estimates constantly. They know prices are higher than people anticipate or can afford. Therefore they are just wasting time providing comprehensive quotes. I wouldn't expect to get a qualified contractor to provide a comprehensive quote to a non-regular customer for free.