Recommendations for something like Ipad?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Caduceus

Recommendations for something like Ipad?

Post by Caduceus »

I would like to get something similar to the Ipad, but which isn't the Ipad, for some research interviews I'll be conducting. The only use for this device would be to show people photographs on the screen while asking them questions. It would be nice if the device could also record voice/video for interviews. But most importantly, I want to be able to drag and drop files from my Windows PC directly onto the device without having to do any convoluted syncing or use of a third party program like ITunes. Which is why I don't want the Ipad.

Are there any recommendations? I don't want a high-end device, so cheap but effective recommendations are appreciated.
CascadiaSoonish

Re: Recommendations for something like Ipad?

Post by CascadiaSoonish »

I don't think the syncing should be a big deal. Sync used to be flaky but it's now pretty solid. Box or Google Drive or any number of other services would work transparently to put the files on the iPad.

But if that really is a deal-breaker, a Surface Pro would work fine I would think. Android tablets are another option but then you'd be back to the same sync need that it sounds like you're trying to avoid.
student

Post by student »

Corvidae

Post by Corvidae »

I have a Samsung Galaxy 10.4" Tab S6 Lite 64GB that was about $280 including pen and book cover (Costco sale). I usually access my Windows files on it using OneDrive, but I have hooked it up to my computer via USB (Windows 10) and got it to show up in Windows Explorer to transfer files without using any additional software. Overall it's an okay tablet. I mostly use it to read PDFs and review presentation slides when not near a computer and to stream video. But as a previous poster mentioned, it's easy to transfer files via a cloud service without much complication on most mainstream devices.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

The iPad can sync seamlessly with a PC if you use OneDrive. If you insist on a Windows device, the Surface Pro 7+ would be my choice - for $600 you can get an i3 with 8GB RAM, keyboard cover included: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/microsoft- ... Id=6482181
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

02nz wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:14 pm The iPad can sync seamlessly with a PC if you use OneDrive. If you insist on a Windows device, the Surface Pro 7+ would be my choice - for $600 you can get an i3 with 8GB RAM, keyboard cover included: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/microsoft- ... Id=6482181
OneDrive works flawlessly on my iPad.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
TJat

Post by TJat »

I’ve tried to save a few bucks a few times and bought a Samsung tablet. Both times I instantly regretted it and switched to an IPad.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

Why not just get a cheap windows laptop? That would serve the function you're describing.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

climber2020 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:32 am Why not just get a cheap windows laptop? That would serve the function you're describing.
If the research interviews are not at a desk, then holding a 4-pound laptop gets pretty awkward.
beardsicles

Post by beardsicles »

I'd highly recommend just buying an iPad.
wunder

Post by wunder »

The base ~$300 iPad is extremely hard to beat on value, quality, performance.

But a functional and dirt cheap Android alternative is the Kindle Fire tablet at ~$150. As it's Android it should just show up as a external drive when connected to PC via USB. It also has a microSD slot. However, the app ecosystem and processor speed on the iPad is miles better (I own both).

If it matters you should also consider screen ratio and resolution. The iPad is 4:3 while most Android tablets are 16:9 or 16:10. The iPad ratio is generally closer to a paper of photo print ratio and works better for reading and viewing photos. The Android ratio is better for watching movies/TV.
Topic Author
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

Ordinarily I wouldn't mind buying a used Ipad, but I can't (and my friends I've enlisted to help me) also can't load Itunes on my laptop. It extracts all the files and then it freezes and says the program cannot be installed. So without ITunes on my computer, I can't sync files to an Ipad.

Thank you for all the suggestions.
onourway

Post by onourway »

Caduceus wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:19 pm Ordinarily I wouldn't mind buying a used Ipad, but I can't (and my friends I've enlisted to help me) also can't load Itunes on my laptop. It extracts all the files and then it freezes and says the program cannot be installed. So without ITunes on my computer, I can't sync files to an Ipad.

This isn't at all true, and hasn't been true for at least 5 years. I can't remember the last time I had to hook up my iPad to a computer with iTunes to do anything.

What you want to use is a file sharing service - pretty much all of them work fine - iCloud, OneDrive, Dropbox, etc. Any files placed in that folder on your PC will also be available on the iPad.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Caduceus wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:19 pm Ordinarily I wouldn't mind buying a used Ipad, but I can't (and my friends I've enlisted to help me) also can't load Itunes on my laptop. It extracts all the files and then it freezes and says the program cannot be installed. So without ITunes on my computer, I can't sync files to an Ipad.

How old is your laptop.
hoofaman

Post by hoofaman »

I have owned an ipad for several years, I don't have Itunes installed on my computer, I've also never had a reason to connect a computer to the ipad.

Personally I just use Google Photos to sync photos to ipad, but many other options exist
runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

Do they need to interact with it? Will you be in the same room? If so, could you just get one of those small monitors and let them hold it while you conduct the interview. Should be easy to drop stuff into that.

Something like this has touch input, without input ones are cheaper

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07WC2NL2G/ ... MPQVWSWEV8
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

iTunes has been discontinued for a while, so I'm not sure where you heard you needed that to sync files to your computer. I don't even know if it would be possible if you tried. iTunes was replaced by the "Music" app that just plays music. It is much easier to sync files using any number of the free cloud providers (iCloud, OneDrive, DropBox, etc.). If your laptop is that old that you can't install programs, I think you need to replace that first.

If you are looking for a tablet, the only viable option is an iPad. The Surface is basically an awkward device that doesn't work well as either a laptop or a tablet, and any of the android tablets out there you are going to pay for a really pretty piece of hardware that isn't going to be nearly as compatible or useful as an iPad.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

NYCaviator wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:50 am iTunes has been discontinued for a while, so I'm not sure where you heard you needed that to sync files to your computer.
This is true if you're running Mac OS, but I believe iTunes is still how you connect on a Windows computer.
Topic Author
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

I've decided to get an Ipad after reading these responses, thanks. I have two questions about syncing though.

Will only one ICloud account be synced at any one time? So if I log into my icloud account and everything gets synced, then someone else uses my Ipad and logs into their Icloud, what happens? Do both accounts' photos get synced, or does one get deleted? Or something else?

syncing is two-way right? So anything I add to Ipad gets added to the cloud, and anything that is added to cloud gets added to Ipad?

Thanks
02nz

Post by 02nz »

climber2020 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:03 am
NYCaviator wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:50 am iTunes has been discontinued for a while, so I'm not sure where you heard you needed that to sync files to your computer.
This is true if you're running Mac OS, but I believe iTunes is still how you connect on a Windows computer.
Correct, iTunes is still required to sync with a Windows computer.

OP, there's an alternative way of installing iTunes that you might try - go into the Microsoft Store (click the Windows button and type Store), and then search for iTunes. It gets you the same app, just installed in a different way, which may be a workaround for the problem you had with installation.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Caduceus wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:19 am I've decided to get an Ipad after reading these responses, thanks. I have two questions about syncing though.

Will only one ICloud account be synced at any one time? So if I log into my icloud account and everything gets synced, then someone else uses my Ipad and logs into their Icloud, what happens? Do both accounts' photos get synced, or does one get deleted? Or something else?

syncing is two-way right? So anything I add to Ipad gets added to the cloud, and anything that is added to cloud gets added to Ipad?

Thanks
I don't believe there's a way of having a second user signed into iCloud at the same time - you'd basically need to log out, and then for the other user to log on. iPadOS and iOS do not handle multiple users elegantly (perhaps by design - everybody needs to get their own device!).

Yes syncing is two-way, but the exact details depend on what you're talking about - passwords, photos, etc.
liynus

Post by liynus »

The new iOS can now see shared folders on windows network. Just open up the files application on the iPad if you are in the same Wi-Fi network and your windows folder is shared you can just copy and paste the folder onto a download folder in your iPad. You can even make sub folders like windows.

I would use a Bluetooth mouse to make it even easier.
IOS is better at acting independently from a computer now.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

There are multiple alternatives for syncing to iPad. This article list some.
https://www.imobie.com/support/how-to-t ... o-ipad.htm