Sun hoodies for hiking?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Barkingsparrow

Sun hoodies for hiking?

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Any recommendations for a sun hoodie for hiking out west in desert areas such as in New Mexico or Nevada? I'd like one that does not get overly warm when temps shoot up. I've been googling reviews but it would be good to get some personal anecdotes here.
livesoft

Re: Sun hoodies for hiking?

Post by livesoft »

Do you want pockets? What about the front closure? -> None (pullover), half-zip, quarter-zip, full-zip? Buttoned? What about the cuffs? Buttoned? Ribbed?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
zag00

Post by zag00 »

i'd look into some fishing apparel from Columbia, Simms, Aftco, etc. Light weight, SPF-50 material with hood and face shield. Cheaper knock off options are available on Amazon that i've had good luck with as well.
These won't help in the cooler temps but could be layered.
Weathering

Post by Weathering »

I have a skin condition, and many relatives have purchased me sun-protective clothing over the years.
My view is to go with thin cotton and not something marketed as sun protective. For example, the long sleeve fishing shirts are great - some even have attachments to cover the back of your hands.

The reason I say not to go with anything marketed as sun-protective is that they generally use fibers that can be sewn together so tightly that it's like wearing a garbage bag (you will feel like your body is in 100% humidity, you will stink quickly, and the only way you will be able to get comfort is to take off your shirt which has the potential for social repercussions).

I have never had any sun exposure issues through the loose nit of cotton. No sunburn on areas covered by the cotton, no skin cancers on areas covered by the cotton, no heat rash, etc.

Also, wear a neck gator made of normal fabric (e.g., cotton but with some stretchy stuff built-in), then wet it. The difference in cooling the body by having a wet compress around the neck is huge. The water doesn't need to be cold because when it evaporates there will be a big cooling effect.
SmallSaver

Post by SmallSaver »

I was looking for something similar (no hood) and got blank stares from outdoor and running shops, but found out that fishermen use these all the time and lots of companies make them for that purpose. Ended up with something from Columbia that I like a lot. (I also learned to size down when buying clothes made for fishing). I had the opposite experience of the poster above re:fabric, the one I got is very breathable and wicks great, I use it for *long* runs and it keeps me dry and cooler than short sleeves. If you can't find one with a hood and a big hat isn't enough, I see most people using a buff.
caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore »

I've got a few Patagonia lightweight hoodies that I wear to the pool or beach on 90+ degree days. While I've not worn them hiking, it seems like they would be a good option, having sun protection and being so light. The flip side is that they won't keep you warm if you're hiking in cooler temperatures.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Excellent for sun and wind while keeping cool.

Avail. Amazon.
All "Unisex", doesn't matter women or men.

Columbia
(often overpriced)

Also, Columbia Sun hat with flaps.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1
Coolibar
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

TSLA (excellent prices)
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08 ... UTF8&psc=1

Generic
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

Baleaf ( 25 dollars, good value).
https://smile.amazon.com/BALEAF-Protect ... NrPXRydWU=

Can also add a sun head hood.

Live in Hawaii and also Northern Arizona. *(mile high = intense sun and UV).
Sun and skin issues.
Have tried zillions of products over the years.
The above works well.

If you want to keep cool in a very hot day and perhaps while doing yard work, etc.
Add a cotton shirt under the above and occasionally soak yourself from a gallon jug of water. You will be "freezing"!!!

dis laimer: opinionizations abound.
j :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Wed May 04, 2022 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
2retire

Post by 2retire »

I can't recommend any specifically. You may want to check out YouTube and search for Pacific Crest Trail (PCT), Continental Divide Trail (CDT), and Arizona Trail (AZT) thru hiker videos. Many of them post pre-trail gear videos. And sometimes they upload post-trail "What worked and didn't work" gear videos as well.
PoppyA

Post by PoppyA »

Landsend.com
ponzu

Post by ponzu »

Coolibar hoodies are a regular part of my attire and have held up well for me over the years, so I have not needed to buy any in a while. In the past, Labor Day was when they had the best discounts. They have their own website, but you might find better prices on Amazon.
Maven

Post by Maven »

Highly recommend Shelta hats. Worth the price. We go to Lake Powell every year and they are amazing. I also love NRS hoodie sun shirts.
Mangas Coloradas

Post by Mangas Coloradas »

I live in New Mexico at 7500 feet ... the sun is very intense and I hike/bike/ski under it every day. The answers given above about fishing shirts I think are the ones that I have found to work the best. You want to look for tropical fishing shirts and don't think that anything other than white is a good idea. I swear by the Simm's fishing guide flats shirts. They are sort of expensive but have had much better results than with even Columbia, or REI branded stuff. You want to wear a wide brimmed hat ... I use a whitish Tilley but anything wide brimmed and lightweight (straw) is a good choice. Put sunscreen on your face, nose and ears and the backs of your hands and on your legs if wearing shorts. I'm always amazed by the red as lobsters tourists going shirtless here ... a white flats fishing shirt is much much much cooler than naked skin. I think a hoody would be hot ... you want air to flow around your face and head as much as you can .. there is no humidity and you'll stay very cool that way.
Topic Author
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

2retire wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:48 am I can't recommend any specifically. You may want to check out YouTube and search for Pacific Crest Trail (PCT), Continental Divide Trail (CDT), and Arizona Trail (AZT) thru hiker videos. Many of them post pre-trail gear videos. And sometimes they upload post-trail "What worked and didn't work" gear videos as well.
I am an avid viewer of these videos and I honestly did not know about sun hoodies despite the hiking I've done until I saw a series on the PCT by a hiker who is sun-sensitive, and trying out a hoodie for the first time. In the past I just wore a long-sleeve light base layer that zipped up to allow me to unzip and cool off some, and a baseball hat which worked OK but still left more exposure than I liked.

I also want a mellie fleece --- but not sure I will fly out to Colorado just to get one.
YoungLion

Post by YoungLion »

I wear these when hiking (skin condition). Mine are made with synthetic fiber and I dunk them in water or wet them from a bottle when it get's hot. Cools when it evaporates. I'll also use cooling towels. Same principle.
TSR

Post by TSR »

I have sensitive skin and thus have researched sun-protective shirts, but not specifically hoodies. Regardless, there are a few here:

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/c ... -sun-shirt

The Baleaf one would be a low-cost-of-entry option.

The Columbia one here seems like a decent option as well:

https://www.gearpatrol.com/outdoors/g39 ... sun-shirt/

I do not own any of these, but I'm posting just because a lot of people don't seem to be aware that these specific products are made for this purpose. The advice from Weathering to stick with thin cotton is intriguing to me also.

Good luck. I'm eager to hear what you land on.
DoubleComma

Post by DoubleComma »

I use a lot of Columbia's PFG gear. They have very light weight hoodies that I think you would like.

As much as I use it for hiking, we really spend a lot of time on the water and is where this gear really shines. Sun on the water is brutal as its top down and bottom up as it reflects.
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

Weathering wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:32 am
The reason I say not to go with anything marketed as sun-protective is that they generally use fibers that can be sewn together so tightly that it's like wearing a garbage bag (you will feel like your body is in 100% humidity, you will stink quickly, and the only way you will be able to get comfort is to take off your shirt which has the potential for social repercussions).
Agree 100%. I have sun protection shirts that are torture when it is warm out.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Rafters wear that sort of thin, quick-drying hoodie all the time. Check out their gear.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
drk

Post by drk »

I have an Outdoor Research Echo hoodie (OR Echo) and enjoy it, but my "desert" is mostly the Eastern Cascades rain shadow. It also works well on PNW volcanoes, though, where the sun can be brutal because it's omni-directional.
getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow »

Baleaf (Amazon) makes an inexpensive, lightweight zip up hoodie that worked well for me (Moab, Santa Fe, general sun avoidance.)
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Never heard of a sun hoodie, and I hike every week in the desert. I like Patagonia Houdini as a wind breaker. It should double duty for your use case.
kevinf

Post by kevinf »

I used the Duluth tun-dry hoodie while hiking the Grand Canyon and Zion Canyons in July... stayed as cool and comfortable as possible without sunburn or bug bites.

https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-akhg ... _color=BLK

I believe that line is being replace by this line however (comes in lighter colors)...
https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-akhg ... _color=FTC

and a Rayon version here:
https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-akhg ... _color=HBN

and a poly/spandex version here:
https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-shun ... _color=BSB
Topic Author
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Went to the local REI and tried on every hoodie that they had, I just could not bring myself to order online as different brands have different fits.

- NRS Silkweight Hoodie - S was too small, M was too big. Otherwise I really liked the construction.
- REI EI Sahara Shade Hoodie - not a good fit and a little heavier than the others.
- Kuhl Engineered hoodie, only 20 SPF, but the best looking hoodie of the bunch.
- Mountain Hardware Crater Lake hoodie - 50 SPF and a good fit.
- Patagonia Cool Daily Hoodie - No thumbholes and could not get a good fit.

I went with the Mountain Hardware hoodie as it was the best fit but but still with some looseness for circulation. My wife also tried on a number of women's hoodies and ended up with the same brand. We'll see how they hold up next week as we expect record heat.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

For pretty much anything outside of a hot desert sure hoodies are great. But, for desert and hot temperatures I'd only be using cotton with long sleeves and I wouldn't have a hoodie but a good wide brim hat. But I'd have a non-cotton fill jacket for when it cooled off.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

While too late for the OP, perhaps a long-sleeve buttoned collared shirt with thumbholes and a hood, so that it can be worn as shirt or a hoodie. While cotton is OK if you end up in a building every night, I think polyester with a little spandex will dry faster. Unbuttoning the front buttons would allow for nice breeze, too. Until recently, such a garment did not exist, but now there is the Jolly Gear Triple Crown Button Down Sun Hoodie. Bonus: The hood has a slot for one's pony tail to fit through. Also has anti-stink treatment of some kind.

But I'd wear a wide-brimmed hat even if I wore this hoodie and perhaps use the hood on colder windy days.
teCh0010

Post by teCh0010 »

zag00 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:25 am i'd look into some fishing apparel from Columbia, Simms, Aftco, etc. Light weight, SPF-50 material with hood and face shield. Cheaper knock off options are available on Amazon that i've had good luck with as well.
These won't help in the cooler temps but could be layered.
Second, I have a couple of SPF-50 fishing hoodies from Drake Waterfowl that are great
freckles01

Post by freckles01 »

Uniqlo has UV protection clothing with a clean modern minimalist look, great for basics.

They (for women) tend to run smaller than traditional "American" sizes but sometimes they do size garments larger than usual, per reviews.
Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 »

I love the ones from a brand called TASC Performance. Their gear is made of a bamboo blend and is amazingly soft. It's not cheap but you can usually find coupon codes or sales.

https://www.tascperformance.com/product ... 2108486831
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

livesoft wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 3:14 pm ...While cotton is OK if you end up in a building every night, I think polyester with a little spandex will dry faster...
Yes, but there is no rule that just because you wore a cotton shirt during the day that you have to continue to wear it at night. If you are spending the night out in the desert you simply take off the cotton shirt. The benefits the cotton provides in the day far outweigh any inconvenience of having a separate base layer. And one might not even need another base layer as there are plenty of secondary layers that will work fine without or are completely comfortable without having a base layer underneath. As to how fast the cotton dires relative to polyester or polyester/mix I think one would find by morning it won't matter.
kevinf

Post by kevinf »

halfnine wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 1:21 am
livesoft wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 3:14 pm ...While cotton is OK if you end up in a building every night, I think polyester with a little spandex will dry faster...
Yes, but there is no rule that just because you wore a cotton shirt during the day that you have to continue to wear it at night. If you are spending the night out in the desert you simply take off the cotton shirt. The benefits the cotton provides in the day far outweigh any inconvenience of having a separate base layer. And one might not even need another base layer as there are plenty of secondary layers that will work fine without or are completely comfortable without having a base layer underneath. As to how fast the cotton dires relative to polyester or polyester/mix I think one would find by morning it won't matter.
Regarding drying time... If you're in an arid climate perhaps. More humid climates and wet cotton clothing are not agreeable. Been there, done that.
ondarvr

Post by ondarvr »

Typical cotton shirts have very poor SPF/UPF rating, so while they can be comfortable, they don't offer great UV protection.

Some sun hoodies can have an uncomfortable feel, but I have some that are great, and breath very good. Venting and mesh in the right places helps. Fishing shirts are more common and tend to be lower in price than hiking shirts.
Topic Author
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

livesoft wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 3:14 pm While too late for the OP, perhaps a long-sleeve buttoned collared shirt with thumbholes and a hood, so that it can be worn as shirt or a hoodie. While cotton is OK if you end up in a building every night, I think polyester with a little spandex will dry faster. Unbuttoning the front buttons would allow for nice breeze, too. Until recently, such a garment did not exist, but now there is the Jolly Gear Triple Crown Button Down Sun Hoodie. Bonus: The hood has a slot for one's pony tail to fit through. Also has anti-stink treatment of some kind.

But I'd wear a wide-brimmed hat even if I wore this hoodie and perhaps use the hood on colder windy days.
There's a 2022 PCT youtube vlog that we are following where the male hiker of a twosome has the orange variation of that hoodie. That looks like something I'd like to try. Likewise, I'd like one of these mid-layer fleece: https://melanzana.com/product/micro-grid-hoodie. They don't do orders online however, you have to make an appointment there and get it in person.
Topic Author
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

ondarvr wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:17 pm Typical cotton shirts have very poor SPF/UPF rating, so while they can be comfortable, they don't offer great UV protection.

Some sun hoodies can have an uncomfortable feel, but I have some that are great, and breath very good. Venting and mesh in the right places helps. Fishing shirts are more common and tend to be lower in price than hiking shirts.
What sun hoodies do you have that you prefer the most?
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Barkingsparrow wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:45 pmThere's a 2022 PCT youtube vlog that we are following where the male hiker of a twosome has the orange variation of that hoodie. That looks like something I'd like to try. Likewise, I'd like one of these mid-layer fleece: https://melanzana.com/product/micro-grid-hoodie. They don't do orders online however, you have to make an appointment there and get it in person.
The Melly is so last year. Everybody wants a Senchi nowadays made from Alpha fleece.

As for the Jolly Gear shirt, I have one. That's why my first post in this thread asked you some questions. For instance, if you don't like/want breast pockets and don't want a front buttoned shirt, then it is definitely not for you. The fabric is also a little heavier weight than some polyester fishing shirts. So this is more of a shirt with a hood than it is a classic sun hoodie.
WS1

Post by WS1 »

ondarvr wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:17 pm Typical cotton shirts have very poor SPF/UPF rating, so while they can be comfortable, they don't offer great UV protection.

Long sleeve Hanes Beefy T has been my workhorse beach shirt since I saw this a few years ago.
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/ma ... /index.htm
ondarvr

Post by ondarvr »

WS1 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:04 pm

Long sleeve Hanes Beefy T has been my workhorse beach shirt since I saw this a few years ago.
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/ma ... /index.htm
"Typical cotton shirts have very poor SPF/UPF ratings"

Yes, you can increase the thickness, weight and warmth of any fabric to block UV rays. Typical cotton tee shirts don't do it well though.
jplee3

Post by jplee3 »

I have a couple of PFG sun hoodies. They are immensely helpful. If I'm afraid of getting sunburnt and am out in hot weather (especially when it comes to fishing) I'll wear compression tights/leggings under shorts, my PFG hoodie, a face shield, hat and sunglasses. I still manage to get sunburnt half the time because I had a sleeve rolled up or my face shield down lol.
cltcp

Post by cltcp »

Desert heat is different. When we hiked the Grand Canyon to the bottom and back in June and temps hit over 120 degrees, they told us to wear cotton. I got long sleeve button up dress shirts from Goodwill. Glad we did. Our bottoms were typical hiking gear but we wore 100% cotton on top. Definitely get a wide brimmed hat, too. My husband likes Tiley. I like Outdoor Research’s Sombrero Hat - it’s breathable and i don’t get as hot as other hats I’ve tried. Dunking the hat with water is so refreshing. A Frog Towel soaked in water is also refreshing. When we were sleeping at the bottom of the canyon, it was so hot. I put the wet frog towel on my face and felt so much cooler.

For non-desert hiking, we wear hiking hoodies. We’ve tried Nike, Patagonia and shirts off Amazon. All seem about the same.
Fclevz

Post by Fclevz »

Solumbra sun protection clothing :thumbsup
King

Post by King »

Arc’teryx sun hoodies are great. https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/mens/cormac-hoody
GeneralRUSick2

Post by GeneralRUSick2 »

Free Fly bamboo apparel feels like cotton. They have a couple of sun hoodies. Also, don’t rule out merino wool from Smartwool or Ibex. It works well for summer protection in the lighter fabric weights.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

kevinf wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:05 pm
halfnine wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 1:21 am
Regarding drying time... If you're in an arid climate perhaps. More humid climates and wet cotton clothing are not agreeable. Been there, done that.
I am only recommending cotton for desert travel and when the daytime temperatures are hot. I wouldn't advocated cotton in any other situation. I wouldn't necessarily advocate cotton in a similar type environment if you are following a river or have constant access to a water source either as the various other products can be soaked from time to time to cool one off. And while drying cotton can be problematic in other environments I certainly have had no trouble drying cotton in the southwest USA, Kalahari, Thar, Gobi or the Australian Outback. It is just a non-issue in a desert environment.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

The UV protection level of cotton is a non-issue for a hiker in a desert environment. Certainly nothing that some sunblock on the shoulders and a good hat can't solve. Or even an umbrella. Now high UV protective clothing for a boater....certainly, a fisherman...sure, someone out on the snow...absolutely, someone at altitude...high probability. But, I've never had issues in the desert with cotton and I've been to plenty of deserts around the world. That said, I have never been to a really high desert like the Atacama nor have I spent any real significant time in a sandy desert like you might find in the Middle East or parts of the Sahara. I can't rule out that the higher intensity at elevation or possibly the reflection of a sandy surface might defeat cotton in those environments.
Topic Author
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Fclevz wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:10 pm Solumbra sun protection clothing :thumbsup
This looks like something I'd want for travel say to Australia.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

I bought two last year and wore them whenever I went out for a number of hours (whether hiking in the mountains or just on the streets or Central Park).
This has been my goto
https://www.amazon.com/Willit-Protectio ... =8-53&th=1

I am going to try this one since it has a slot for my Fitbit Sense:
https://www.amazon.com/BALEAF-Running-L ... =8-48&th=1

If the sun is really blistering, I like the hook on the end that covers most of my wrist / hand.

I like the look of this one, more for when walking around the city
https://www.amazon.com/Naviskin-Sleeve- ... 35&sr=8-57

For cooler days, this allows a shirt underneath -- and has a full length zipper.
https://www.amazon.com/Protection-Fishi ... =8-54&th=1
thinair

Post by thinair »

The Black Diamond Alpenglow Pro Hoody is the best piece of outdoor clothing I've purchased in a long time. The fabric is lightweight and the design of the hood, front zipper, and slash pocket are excellent. It's standard apparel for climbing guides and I'll be taking two of these on long treks in Ladakh and Nepal this year.

The Pro version has a front zipper which is crucial for me. They make a version without a zipper (Alpenglow Hoody).

I first tried a Patagonia Sunshade Technical Hoody but the fabric was too heavy and the lack of a front zip make it hard to vent.
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

Barkingsparrow wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:16 am Any recommendations for a sun hoodie for hiking out west in desert areas such as in New Mexico or Nevada? I'd like one that does not get overly warm when temps shoot up. I've been googling reviews but it would be good to get some personal anecdotes here.
Let’s go back to the beginning and address OPs concerns.
Let’s look at a hoodie in that light. Any hood going over your head will decrease hearing ability. Something to think about.
Any hood will also inhibit the transfer of heat from your head and neck to the atmosphere. It will hold it in. Head and neck are main radiators of body heat.
A hoodie also does not offer shade protection insofar as it has no brim.
All the above is inherent in the design of a hoodie. The other issue of what fabric is aside from that.

That said, hoodies seem to work for some people.
Basically, OP, buy yourself a brimmed hat. I have hiked in the areas you note.
FishTaco

Post by FishTaco »

These are the ones I like:

https://www.academy.com/p/bcg-men%E2%80 ... d-t-shirt?

My skin can be sensitive to some of the synthetic fabrics that are ubiquitous in fishing shirts so I found these that are a simple cotton/poly blend that doesn't irritate my skin.
Topic Author
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

FishTaco wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:26 am These are the ones I like:

https://www.academy.com/p/bcg-men%E2%80 ... d-t-shirt?

My skin can be sensitive to some of the synthetic fabrics that are ubiquitous in fishing shirts so I found these that are a simple cotton/poly blend that doesn't irritate my skin.
My daughter has that issue also. She developed a bad rash from some hiking pants. Bottom line - everyone is different and needs to find what works for them. We can debate materials or brand all day. I only paid $50 for my Mountain Hardware Crater Lake hoodie. and so far happy with how it works during hot weather, but I'm starting to think I would prefer a model with zipper or buttons like the Jolly Gear Triple Crown.
kevinf

Post by kevinf »

Rob5TCP wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:10 am If the sun is really blistering, I like the hook on the end that covers most of my wrist / hand.
Good call on hand protection, though a summer weight fingerless fishing glove is also a good option.

Huk hydro sun glove