RepublicWireless -> US Mobile?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
jaybee9

RepublicWireless -> US Mobile?

Post by jaybee9 »

I've been with RepublicWireless for a number of years but due to recent changes at the company plus a desire to have better coverage when in less populated areas and for international options, I've been thinking to switch to US Mobile (they are a Verizon MVNO). I was with US Mobile before RW but switched as it wasn't as competitive pricewise at the time. US Mobile had very good customer service and I generally liked their offering. Can anyone speak to their recent experiences with US Mobile?
telemark

Re: RepublicWireless -> US Mobile?

Post by telemark »

Funny you should mention that. I have a SIM kit from US Mobile in the mail for the very same reasons. Probably should have made the jump years ago, but this was the nudge I needed. The cost will be lower and I'm hoping for better coverage from Verizon.
Afty

Post by Afty »

A week ago I switched from Visible (another Verizon MVNO) to US Mobile. I did this because Visible is deprioritized relative to postpaid Verizon, and data would become unusable in semi-crowded locations like the mall. I chose US Mobile because they advertise prioritized data if you have a 5G phone. So far so good. Data feels noticeably faster. Prices are good. Haven’t needed customer service so I can’t speak to that.
telemark

Post by telemark »

I got the SIM cards, waited until today to try to activate since I still had some days remaining on the Republic Wireless plan. Went through the activation process and am now waiting for Republic Wireless to transfer the number. The new SIM seems to be working but when I try to make a call I get a recorded message from Verizon.

One annoyance: if you want to use your phone as a wireless hotspot, you have to pay US Mobile an extra $5/month on your plan. This wasn't clear to me when I was browsing their web site.
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

US Mobile currently offers a "3 months for the price of 2" SIM kit with their 5GB/month plan on Amazon:

https://smile.amazon.com/High-Speed-Unl ... 08YRVKCWR/
telemark

Post by telemark »

As a follow up, Republic Wireless transferred my old phone number on the 5th, I activated the new SIM with US Mobile, and so far everything seems fine. And the built in hotspot on my Motorola phone works, nothing special needed.

When I was on RW, there was an option somewhere in the phone settings to block spam calls, but I can't find it now. That may have been specific to RW.

ETA: or, more likely, a T-Mobile vs Verizon issue.
Last edited by telemark on Fri May 06, 2022 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arf1410

Post by arf1410 »

I keep an extra phone, with a USMobile SIM card, for the better (verizon based) coverage in remote parts of USA. It is not a primary phone, as my understanding is USA mobile didnt do (or its just lousy) international service, which is important to us.
Wabbit

Post by Wabbit »

I found two small gotchas with US Mobile's pricing: the taxes aren't included, and a "month" is 30 days, not a month. Neither of these was enough to keep me from switching to them. Also they do offer both Verizon and AT&T sim cards, I think.
Bill Bernstein

Post by Bill Bernstein »

I'm a T-Mo customer, and am generally happy with their service and pricing, but coverage could be better, and call quality is occasionally bad.

US Mobile has a new "$5" plan (actually $8.71) with Verizon service, 2500 talk, text, and a smidge of data (0.5G) with superb call quality with an NUU dumb phone that even can hotspot.

So it's a great backup, and their customer service seems to be a *lot* better than T-Mo's.
Afty

Post by Afty »

Afty wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:05 pm A week ago I switched from Visible (another Verizon MVNO) to US Mobile. I did this because Visible is deprioritized relative to postpaid Verizon, and data would become unusable in semi-crowded locations like the mall. I chose US Mobile because they advertise prioritized data if you have a 5G phone. So far so good. Data feels noticeably faster. Prices are good. Haven’t needed customer service so I can’t speak to that.
Since the thread got bumped, I’ll give an update. I’ve now been on US Mobile for 7 months, and I’m super happy with it. Speeds are fast, coverage is good, and it’s a great value. I’ve needed support a couple times, and both times they’ve quickly solved my problem. I’d happily recommend US Mobile.
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

arf1410 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:44 pm I keep an extra phone, with a USMobile SIM card, for the better (verizon based) coverage in remote parts of USA. It is not a primary phone, as my understanding is USA mobile didnt do (or its just lousy) international service, which is important to us.
One way around that is to use USMobile or another MVNO as your primary, then buy an international travel SIM for when you travel. I looked into it a while ago and it's quite affordable.
jayjayc

Post by jayjayc »

If you have a 5G phone, for sure you should move over to US Mobile. USM customers with 5G phones get the same prioritized service as Verizon post-paid customers. It made a noticeable difference for me. Most prepaid customers' data connection gets de-prioritized.

Protip: sign up for a pool plan for lower taxes. Not sure why that's the case, but it's true. You can sign up for a pool plan even if it's by yourself.