Vanguard website succumbs to "Fisher-Price" UI design

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
HanSolo

Vanguard website succumbs to "Fisher-Price" UI design

Post by HanSolo »

I guess it had to happen sooner or later.

I just logged in to my Vanguard account, only to find that the usual "Balances and Holdings" page is no longer there. It has been replaced with a "Holdings" page that is a redesign according to Fisher-Price UI design principles (i.e., suitable for toddlers). This includes:

* A lot less information per screen than before.

* A lot more white space on the screen than before (more space between everything).

* Most everything in big, bold fonts.

* Ticker symbols in very large fonts, with fund names in fine print (as if they think ticker symbols are more meaningful).

* No longer any colored borders on the screen (which helped to break up and delineate sections).

"Balances and Holdings" is no longer available via the menu, but I can still get to it by entering the URL:

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/myacco ... esholdings

I had explicitly asked Vanguard not do to this. I guess they're determined to ruin the user experience on their site.

Anyone else agree that this is a disservice to us?

Anyone have any idea if there's any way we can get them to retain the previous UI?
Strategic Macro Senior (top 1%, 2019 Bogleheads Contest)
ScoobyDoo

Re: Vanguard website succumbs to "Fisher-Price" UI design

Post by ScoobyDoo »

interesting. i love the minimalist look. Also, since hitting 40 and losing the ability to see naturally at 20/20 I appreciate large fonts and lots of whitespace.

Maybe a generational thing?????

It’s nice not to have to search for readers when viewing a website on my phone….just saying😳
ScoobyDoo!

Post by 000 »

Yes, I agree it is a disservice. I'm starting to think they want retail to leave. Which is what I'm planning to do. I now prefer Fidelity's site.

Nope.

Post by 000 »

ScoobyDoo wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:56 am interesting. i love the minimalist look. Also, since hitting 40 and losing the ability to see naturally at 20/20 I appreciate large fonts and lots of whitespace.

Maybe a generational thing?????

It’s nice not to have to search for readers when viewing a website on my phone….just saying😳
Both the old site and your browser have the option of increasing text size.
Makefile

Post by Makefile »

I don't like it either, but it is the trend. My bank did a very similar redesign recently.

These types of interfaces are just what is "in" at this point. Remember that desktop/laptop web usage is already under 50% and fast dropping, and attention spans shorter than ever. If you go on /r/bogleheads when people post their 401(k) options they post a series of 5 screenshots of a vertical phone display i.e. they don't even try to use the desktop site. People complain about TreasuryDirect (the epitome of an early-2000s web app) just as much.

If you used some desktop app from the 90s, the 3D appearance of the buttons and other parts of the interface would be ridiculously overdone. Now, 3D and even colors/borders to separate areas of the screen is totally out of style. Also, you've likely also found that sites don't offer a printable version (aka save to PDF) anymore.
Topic Author
HanSolo

Post by HanSolo »

Another difference is that they alphabetize by ticker symbol, not fund name (again, as if tickers are more meaningful).
ScoobyDoo wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:56 am It’s nice not to have to search for readers when viewing a website on my phone….just saying
I view the website on a computer. That's because I need to see more information at a time than I would for things like social media.

I think that for computer users, they are doing us a disservice.
Makefile

Post by Makefile »

HanSolo wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:06 am Another difference is that they alphabetize by ticker symbol, not fund name (again, as if tickers are more meaningful).
Assume you've also seen their new page with the list of mutual funds that was similarly butchered.
Everyone hates the Vanguard website so they probably just decided to refresh it with a "modern" design. Dunno.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

HanSolo wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:50 am I guess it had to happen sooner or later.

I just logged in to my Vanguard account, only to find that the usual "Balances and Holdings" page is no longer there. It has been replaced with a "Holdings" page that is a redesign according to Fisher-Price UI design principles (i.e., suitable for toddlers). …
Hey so now I can log onto Vanguard and get the Fisher-Price experience! Thanks I would not have been the wiser!
boogiehead

Post by boogiehead »

Whoever that's running Vanguard's technology platform seems to be like 20 years or so behind and clueless on what customers want. I still don't understand why they make all these useless UI updates, but still can't add a field that shows the percentage gain/loss of a specific security. Every other brokerage I've used has had this field for as long as I can remember. When I called in and gave them the feedback that they supposedly wanted 5 or 6 years ago, the rep mentioned its been a popular request and its in the works. Till this day its still "in the works" and I've basically given up on any hopes of Vanguard making upgrades to their technology. I just hope whenever they make any upgrades that they don't screw things up even more.
LPSpecial

Post by LPSpecial »

HanSolo wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:50 am I guess it had to happen sooner or later.

I just logged in to my Vanguard account, only to find that the usual "Balances and Holdings" page is no longer there. It has been replaced with a "Holdings" page that is a redesign according to Fisher-Price UI design principles (i.e., suitable for toddlers). This includes:

* A lot less information per screen than before.

* A lot more white space on the screen than before (more space between everything).

* Most everything in big, bold fonts.

* Ticker symbols in very large fonts, with fund names in fine print (as if they think ticker symbols are more meaningful).

* No longer any colored borders on the screen (which helped to break up and delineate sections).

"Balances and Holdings" is no longer available via the menu, but I can still get to it by entering the URL:

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/myacco ... esholdings

I had explicitly asked Vanguard not do to this. I guess they're determined to ruin the user experience on their site.

Anyone else agree that this is a disservice to us?

Anyone have any idea if there's any way we can get them to retain the previous UI?
I completely agree with your assessment of the new website. It is very sterile and cold to me. There is something emotionally comforting about the old balances and holdings page; the color scheme, the way the information is presented, etc.

I am also very discouraged with the new page that shows all the mutual funds and ETFs; it sucks. :oops:
Pacific

Post by Pacific »

Huh?
About a week or so ago I clicked on the link that allowed me to use the "old" style.
My page now opens to "Balances" which is very easy to read. Then I just click on "My Accounts" (at the top) and then "Balances and Holdings".
Same as always.
Topic Author
HanSolo

Post by HanSolo »

Pacific wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:00 am Huh?
About a week or so ago I clicked on the link that allowed me to use the "old" style.
My page now opens to "Balances" which is very easy to read. Then I just click on "My Accounts" (at the top) and then "Balances and Holdings".
Same as always.
Interesting... I just logged in again, and now I see "Balances and Holdings" in the menu again.

Maybe it's a phased roll-out... or just some kind of glitch where I got misdirected to the mobile experience. Who knows.
celia

Post by celia »

HanSolo wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:50 am I just logged in to my Vanguard account, only to find that the usual "Balances and Holdings" page is no longer there. It has been replaced with a "Holdings" page that is a redesign according to Fisher-Price UI design principles (i.e., suitable for toddlers). This includes:
This is not new. It has been there for a few years already. What IS NEW (at least when I just signed in) is an article you can read about volatility with an ad that takes up most of the screen, if you are using a computer.

There are two user interfaces and you can switch between them at any time. We talked about this recently in another thread.

The "old" user interface shows the ER for each fund and links to Buy/ Sell/ Exchange on the right side of each holding.
The "new" user interface shows less info and is in bigger text with a "Transact" button on the right side of each holding.
I suppose part of this change is to make your accounts be visible on a cell phone, where the screen is tiny compared to a laptop.

To get to the "old" user interface, select My Accounts > Balances & holdings.
To get to the "new" user interface, select My Account > Account Overview, and then one of your accounts.

Toggle back and forth, if you want!
tvubpwcisla

Post by tvubpwcisla »

I love the changes, looks great!
Topic Author
HanSolo

Post by HanSolo »

celia wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:48 am To get to the "old" user interface, select My Accounts > Balances & holdings.
To get to the "new" user interface, select My Account > Account Overview, and then one of your accounts.

Toggle back and forth, if you want!
Thanks for the detailed info. What was different for me, during the period when I posted this thread, was that the "My Accounts" menu contained menu items "Account overview", "Balances", "Holdings", etc., whereas what I normally get (all along in the past, and again now) is "Account overview", "Balances & holdings", etc. Therefore, it appears that, during that brief period, I did not have the option to select the "old" interface, other than going directly to its URL (which I had saved).

In other words, the "My Accounts" menu itself had changed, for that period. I hope they don't do that again.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Do existing Vanguard customers need to use the Vanguard web site for much of anything?

We've been Vanguard customers since 1982. We do not need to research funds. We do not need to check our holdings since they do not change. Every once in a while we need to get our 1099s and make an inherited IRA RMD.

BTW, other financial firms have gone to the same "Fisher-Price" UI design. Get used to it or don't.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty »

I don't think it's a big deal.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

I'll give Vanguard credit for this: There is an easy to find, in my face, "TAX CENTER" button. To find tax forms easily. I can't say that about one or two other brokerages I've been involved with.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

People keep complaining about Vanguard changing things, but one thing they clearly haven't changed is being inconsistent with the rollout of their changes!

https://youtu.be/jTsxmwtbpvY
Topic Author
HanSolo

Post by HanSolo »

[Quoted content removed by moderator oldcomputerguy]

Sometimes companies take customer feedback into account. I used to work in a company that did that. Even governments listen sometimes. I was part of a grass-roots effort to get a tax law changed, and after several years of effort, we eventually succeeded.

Of course I'm not saying that this guarantees anything will happen. But if nobody says anything, then getting what they want is even less likely. If not offering any feedback at all is your preferred strategy, it's different from mine.
livesoft wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:11 am Do existing Vanguard customers need to use the Vanguard web site for much of anything?
If you look at the site, you can see what features are there. They must be useful to somebody.

As I mentioned in another thread, I topped up my bond holdings on Wednesday, because the balances were low.
BTW, other financial firms have gone to the same "Fisher-Price" UI design. Get used to it or don't.
As I stated above, sometimes offering feedback works, and sometimes it doesn't. If enough people have a preference, the company might listen. Your idea seems to be that the chances they'll take client feedback into account is exactly zero.

Perhaps I'm more optimistic than you are. If that's wrong, I plead guilty.

And to those who advocate not offering feedback, thank you for that feedback!
dorster

Post by dorster »

livesoft wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:11 am Do existing Vanguard customers need to use the Vanguard web site for much of anything?
Yes.

When markets are down it is possible to tax loss harvest to improve the after-tax return of your investments.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

HanSolo wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:46 am...
As I stated above, sometimes offering feedback works, and sometimes it doesn't. If enough people have a preference, the company might listen. Your idea seems to be that the chances they'll take client feedback into account is exactly zero.

When WellsFargo asked for feedback, I responded and also gave my telephone number. It was helpful that I have spent part of my career in building user interfaces for software. I got a call back and discussed at length what I would do. And it was implemented in the following way: Since the old interface allowed customization, that was kept, so that I could customize what I saw.

I posted about this 5 years ago. viewtopic.php?p=2949420#p2949420 and in the same thread viewtopic.php?p=3021607#p3021607

So Vanguard is really play catch-up! Not surprising since Wells Fargo had an index fund about 5 years before Vanguard did, too.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

I can access all of the same screens as before if I use the menu drop down and select Balance and Holdings. Everyone seemed to dislike the old website and it was often criticized here. Now they changed it and it will still be often criticized here. If you want to trade stocks and handle options, you may need to go elsewhere, but for the buy and hold investor the website is not that important. I have a Fidelity account and am not impressed with their website.

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

Yeah they wrecked the old mutual funds/ ETFs by asset class page, my site for one-stop shopping.

And it seems awfully hard to see how much gain or loss per fund. Didn't it used to be easy?

Obviously they think we're a bunch of dotards. Or, the designers have no freaking clue what interests investors.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

And we should not forget that investors are a monolithic group with one specific set of preferences that if implemented would surely fully satisfy everyone. Why doesn't a broker just do THAT?!
oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy »

Site looks the same to me when I logged in just now.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Mine is the same, too, I think. Don't really look at the page with the same amount of detail as the OP.

Tim
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

HanSolo wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:50 am "Balances and Holdings" is no longer available via the menu, but I can still get to it by entering the URL:
I get the new format when I log in but Balance and Holdings is still available via the drop down menu on my landing page. Perhaps you haven't looked in the right place.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

I doubt Vanguard has their own web designers. They must have simply hired the cheapest on the market and they are getting their money’s worth.
roth evangelist

Post by roth evangelist »

Vanguard has a lot of issues but this isn't one of them. The look is a big improvement over the old one. The only issue is how long it took them.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:46 am And we should not forget that investors are a monolithic group with one specific set of preferences that if implemented would surely fully satisfy everyone. Why doesn't a broker just do THAT?!
:wink:

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Whakamole

Post by Whakamole »

Thesaints wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:28 am I doubt Vanguard has their own web designers. They must have simply hired the cheapest on the market and they are getting their money’s worth.
That began happening years ago: https://www.inquirer.com/news/vanguard- ... 00714.html
quietseas

Post by quietseas »

It's not for toddlers, its for these people and their iPad
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

quietseas wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:11 am

WAIT A MINUTE!
Where did you get that photo of us!?

:twisted:

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
dbr

Post by dbr »

quietseas wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:11 am

Lots of web design has been directed for use on tablets and phones. Probably people who would prefer access on a large screen lose out.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

I just logged in (from a MacBook) and I still have a Balances and Holdings page. The few individual stocks I own are listed by Ticker and Name, just like they've always been. Font has not changed. Still have colored borders breaking up accounts.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

livesoft wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:12 am

When WellsFargo asked for feedback, I responded and also gave my telephone number. It was helpful that I have spent part of my career in building user interfaces for software. I got a call back and discussed at length what I would do. And it was implemented in the following way: Since the old interface allowed customization, that was kept, so that I could customize what I saw.

I posted about this 5 years ago. viewtopic.php?p=2949420#p2949420 and in the same thread viewtopic.php?p=3021607#p3021607

So Vanguard is really play catch-up! Not surprising since Wells Fargo had an index fund about 5 years before Vanguard did, too.
I wish they would still listen. They keep making tweaks to the site, making things I normally do harder and harder. I ended up moving some funds for a brokerage bonus elsewhere and once the bonus paid out, I didn't bother coming back because the UX has become so bad.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Site looks great on my GrandPad!
minesweep
Location: 27,000 light years from the Galactic Center of the Milky Way Galaxy (the suburbs)

Post by minesweep »

tvubpwcisla wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:52 am I love the changes, looks great!
+1
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy - John Bogle | Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others, it's cheaper! - John Bogle
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

Made me look......... naw same as it has always been. :beer
CorradoJr

Post by CorradoJr »

I strongly dislike the new look. Very little information and only "surface-level" details.

App is the same, terrible.

I'm in my 40s BTW.

Not everyone uses their mobile device for every on-line transaction. They still make things called desktops and laptops with comparatively huge screens.
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

BrandonBogle wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:03 pm I wish they would still listen. They keep making tweaks to the site, making things I normally do harder and harder. I ended up moving some funds for a brokerage bonus elsewhere and once the bonus paid out, I didn't bother coming back because the UX has become so bad.
First rule of good software design: Don't change look & feel unless absolutely necessary by new functionalities, or you make a living by selling software.
Neither condition applies to Vanguard.

Portfolio analysis is still broken for the desktop website version, btw. Absolutely unconscionable that they have been keeping it like this for several months, especially considering that the app version calculates the portfolio correctly.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

livesoft wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:12 am

Yup they also had stage coaches with lock boxes before Vanguard was even born!
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I'm not seeing any changes at Vanguard. Everything looks like it has for years. I mostly use just the holdings page and the cost basis page. I wish Vanguard would combine those two pages into a single page like Fidelity and Schwab, both of whom have a "positions" page.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

CorradoJr wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:08 pm I strongly dislike the new look. Very little information and only "surface-level" details.

App is the same, terrible.

I'm in my 40s BTW.

Not everyone uses their mobile device for every on-line transaction. They still make things called desktops and laptops with comparatively huge screens.
This is true. However, I'm in the web business. All the stats show that desktop is the minority of traffic.

The new look is the design-du-jour. In my opinion, the issue is not the design per se, but the information they've removed. My guess is the problem is that the person in charge of the redesign doesn't really use the site and has guessed what's useful rather than figure out what people really use.

It's also possible that they did user interviews and testing and found that the majority of people like the new site. It's just that bogleheads is populated by people who like the more information-dense display.

It is very difficult to balance the needs of the majority vs technical. This is one of the reasons Microsoft gets so much grief with each Windows update.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:53 pm I'm not seeing any changes at Vanguard. Everything looks like it has for years. I mostly use just the holdings page and the cost basis page. I wish Vanguard would combine those two pages into a single page like Fidelity and Schwab, both of whom have a "positions" page.
I get bounced between the old site, with its tan and dense text vs the white and large text. It seems random. Even worse, sometimes the new site data lags reality. E.g. I get redirected there right after making a purchase. It doesn't show up in the summary.
dboeger1

Post by dboeger1 »

While there are ways of smartly adapting to different display resolutions and aspect ratios, keep in mind that the variety of common consumer displays has exploded in recent years, so to some extent, it is quite difficult to choose sensible defaults for things like text size. The same site needs to be usable on everything from a relatively low-resolution budget phone with a small screen to someone's brand-new 70" 4K TV. Defaults for things like text resolution are extremely constrained by all of these form factors, and it's unfeasible to test every web page on all target devices. It is possible to simulate and test lower resolutions on a higher-resolution screen, but that leaves out variables like screen size, the usability of inputs for scrolling and other basic operations, contrast ratios, PPI, etc.

I'm not saying we should be okay with losing important functionality, but the "Fisher-Price UI design" OP refers to is in large part a natural consequence of the consumer device market. There's just not as much appetite for apps that look like classic Windows apps, for example. Everything is relatively sparse web pages that are easy to design and render in pleasing ways on everything from an iPhone to a Linux desktop. There are ways of exposing more information with these modern interfaces, but it's true the sometimes, companies botch these migrations by performing them before all the important functionality has been ported over.
rob

Post by rob »

If ONLY there was a well understood and supported way of serving up pages appropriate to the device.... Imagine a world where the developers could optimize layouts relevant to the viewers device, size and config and not have to serve up some phone sized ^%$ when on a laptop. Imagine a step further, where the user could have options to customize their own preferences..... Come on people... imagine.... :oops:
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
telemark

Post by telemark »

The newer look is designed for phones and tablets: when you're mashing at things with your fingers on a tiny screen you need lots of white space. I hate it but I'm obviously not in the target market. Thanks for posting the old url, I hadn't thought of trying that.
Makefile

Post by Makefile »

telemark wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:04 pm The newer look is designed for phones and tablets: when you're mashing at things with your fingers on a tiny screen you need lots of white space. I hate it but I'm obviously not in the target market. Thanks for posting the old url, I hadn't thought of trying that.
Yeah, I'm a touch typist as many here likely are and find phones/tablets enormously frustrating for any serious work including managing finances. But desktop/laptop web access is on the downtrend with a temporary reprieve brought on by the pandemic. Another thing you'll notice about modern websites (not Vanguard specifically) is they can be increasingly keyboard unfriendly e.g. pressing Enter is not tied to the same thing as clicking "Next," and those super-annoying date picker widgets where you must click click click through the months to find the date and can't type it in.

The next question is why does Vanguard need a mobile app if the website is going to use a mobile-first design regardless. Though I can understand that using a desktop-oriented website on a mobile device is even more frustrating than the opposite, and thus all the griping about Treasury Direct.