Have you walked away from Amazon?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
User avatar
kevinf
Posts: 580
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by kevinf »

Tony wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:05 pm Yes I've walked away. The more I learn about the way Amazon treats its employees, the happier I am to be out of it. I don't care that much about missing out on saving money - I can view that as one of my charitable donations.
I also don't like the fact that, because of Amazon, other businesses have not survived.
Marylander1 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:23 pm We dropped Prime and look elsewhere before resorting to Amazon, largely because of the way they treat their employees and the insane prevalence of counterfeit goods. Amazon accepted our returns of counterfeit products, and used products sold as new, but I don't want to invest so much effort in detecting counterfeits when it's much easier to purchase from a vendor that maintains a supply chain instead of letting rejected products get inserted and sold as new. We found Amazon's "co-mingling" policy meant that even "sold by and shipped by Amazon" products were used or counterfeit or expired.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/you-might- ... 1576599910

We will sign up for another month to watch the final season of The Expanse.

Marylander1
Amazon is famous for having a chew-them-up and spit-them-out culture. It's unfortunate that their focus on consumer satisfaction doesn't extend inward to the people that make that possible.
dboeger1
Posts: 1093
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:32 pm

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by dboeger1 »

As the article says, there really isn't much point to outright deleting an Amazon account, as they will continue to hold on to your data. I haven't paid for a Prime subscription in many years, however. I had one as a college student, which I believe was either free or highly discounted, but once I was set to start paying full price, I stopped. I never saw much value in it given that to this day, it's relatively easy to get free shipping by hitting the minimum purchase size requirement. I realize there are other benefits to Prime, but I can get a lot of those things free or cheaper elsewhere.

There was a period of time in which I stopped buying from Amazon entirely. It was when my packages started being delivered by Amazon trucks instead of UPS or other standard providers. For some reason, Amazon really struggled to get packages to my apartment at the time, and even delivered relatively expensive items like laptops to neighbors down the street. I didn't live in a particularly difficult complex either so there wasn't really a great reason for them to mess up so badly.

It wasn't until I started living with my wife that we started using Amazon again, but ever since then, I've made it a point to be a squeaky wheel of a customer, and I've got to give it to them, their customer service spares no expense in taking care of customer complaints. I've gotten countless things for free after complaining about shipping damage, delays, missing pieces, etc. I've also received a number of large boxes containing many copies of items I ordered which somebody must have neglected to separate out, and I've never bothered returning them to Amazon. I'm the type of person who is usually extremely accommodating and just lives with minor consumer issues, but my past experiences with Amazon were sufficiently bad that I just won't bother buying from them unless I'm getting a screaming deal.

One of my absolute biggest pet peeves is the frequency of their dynamic pricing. I've never had a problem accepting the fact that I was either too early or too late for a sale from other retailers. But with Amazon, they often change prices multiple times a day, and oddly enough, will even continue reducing the price of an item in response to a single person purchasing it, which makes absolutely no sense. I have often had the experience of buying a niche item with a counter of remaining stock on the product page so I know others aren't actively buying it, and literally within seconds of me buying it, the price drops a few cents. Out of principle, I'll cancel my order and reorder at the reduced price, only for it to happen again. I liken this to a brick & mortar store putting items on sale as you're walking away from the counter just having bought it without telling you about the sale price, and I absolutely hate it, even if it's a difference of a penny, so I always push it as far as it will go. I have reordered the same item up to about a dozen times before their system stopped doing this. Any time I've ever asked customer service for a price match of THEIR OWN PRICES, they have always insisted that there's nothing they can do besides cancel the order. Actually, the most recent time I asked this last Black Friday, they did agree to price match an item for me that had dropped in price before shipping out to me, but they refused to do the price match until I received the order. I didn't trust them given their long-standing policy of no price matching, so I just reordered the same item and returned the one that was a higher price. I hate that Amazon plays these silly pricing games, but I figure I'm already probably costing them money with how much free stuff I've gotten, I may as well cut as deeply as possible into their revenues so that they might reconsider their business.

Of course, I'm a nobody in Amazon's eyes, as they have many much more profitable customers than me, so it'll never change. But as long as they keep sending me damaged, used, or counterfeit items that I can complain about and get for free, or they put items I want on sale for so cheap that no other retailer can compete, then I guess I may as well take advantage.
smectym
Posts: 1314
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 5:07 pm

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by smectym »

kevinf wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:14 am
Tony wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:05 pm Yes I've walked away. The more I learn about the way Amazon treats its employees, the happier I am to be out of it. I don't care that much about missing out on saving money - I can view that as one of my charitable donations.
I also don't like the fact that, because of Amazon, other businesses have not survived.
Marylander1 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:23 pm We dropped Prime and look elsewhere before resorting to Amazon, largely because of the way they treat their employees and the insane prevalence of counterfeit goods. Amazon accepted our returns of counterfeit products, and used products sold as new, but I don't want to invest so much effort in detecting counterfeits when it's much easier to purchase from a vendor that maintains a supply chain instead of letting rejected products get inserted and sold as new. We found Amazon's "co-mingling" policy meant that even "sold by and shipped by Amazon" products were used or counterfeit or expired.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/you-might- ... 1576599910

We will sign up for another month to watch the final season of The Expanse.

Marylander1
Amazon is famous for having a chew-them-up and spit-them-out culture. It's unfortunate that their focus on consumer satisfaction doesn't extend inward to the people that make that possible.
That’s fine. On the one hand, Amazon is just another megacorp that can easily be demonized. On the other hand, Amazon performs more essential functions for more millions of people every day except for…we’ll, giant utilities and telecoms that can also easily be demonized.

As to “the people that make that possible,” let’s not forget that the bulk of the cash that makes anything at all possible comes from repeat customers, who are presumably repeat customers for rational reasons. That’s why the Amazon employee has a job, and why the job pays as much as it does.
tibbitts
Posts: 17407
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by tibbitts »

whodidntante wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:32 pm I am careful what I buy from Amazon due to fake and expired products. Walmart+ has so far been better...
The Walmart brand fat-free sliced turkey I picked up today expired in 2021. Of course it might have enough salt content to stay fresh for years.
User avatar
telemark
Posts: 3094
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:35 am

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by telemark »

guppyguy wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:09 pm
SnowBog wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:01 pm
I do however disable their ads, so the random things I look up on Amazon don't follow me everywhere else. https://www.amazon.com/adprefs
I've tried that page, multiple browsers. It always says it can't find the server.

Does that link work for you, today?
The link worked for me, but I had to click through uBlock Origin's warning screen to get there. Not sure that it accomplishes anything, they don't promise not to track you.

I don't completely avoid Amazon, because there are things I can't get anywhere else. For example, IQAir only sells through Amazon now and I need new filters periodically. But I do look for alternatives; sometimes they're faster or cheaper and I don't have to worry about counterfeit merchandise. I don't have a Prime account, but that's because I object on principle to paying for free things. Every now and then Amazon gives me a genuinely free trial and then I binge-watch the things I'm interested in.
Derpalator
Posts: 148
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:52 pm

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by Derpalator »

Marylander1 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:23 pm We dropped Prime and look elsewhere before resorting to Amazon, largely because of the way they treat their employees and the insane prevalence of counterfeit goods. Amazon accepted our returns of counterfeit products, and used products sold as new, but I don't want to invest so much effort in detecting counterfeits when it's much easier to purchase from a vendor that maintains a supply chain instead of letting rejected products get inserted and sold as new. We found Amazon's "co-mingling" policy meant that even "sold by and shipped by Amazon" products were used or counterfeit or expired.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/you-might- ... 1576599910

We will sign up for another month to watch the final season of The Expanse.

Marylander1
Just recently watched the final season of The Expanse on Prime. Wonderful. Enjoy!
User avatar
mrmass
Posts: 741
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:35 pm
Location: MA

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by mrmass »

I buy tech items for work there so company pays for it. If they didn’t I probably wouldn’t buy Prime but buy from Amazon because I don’t like having too many accounts.

For me less retail shopping accounts is similar to a 3 fund portfolio. Simple. Also perhaps slightly less attack surface. My login isn’t spread all around.
2Scoops
Posts: 182
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:01 pm

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by 2Scoops »

I set up a separate category for Amazon in my expense management software. The amount we spend at Amazon has skyrocketed the last couple of years and we're a bit uncomfortable with it. A lot of our gift purchases for family and friends comes from Amazon so that's a part of it but still trying to slash the number. When I look back at our purchase history nothing stands out as emotional or needless purchases but we decided to take action because it feels too convenient. We're trying out only allowing two purchases per month to give ourselves time to make sure it's something we really need/want.

We're also starting to price compare everything in our cart before we check out as that's a step we haven't taken before. Will see how it goes and what the impact is.
User avatar
SagaciousTraveler
Posts: 337
Joined: Thu May 03, 2018 6:05 am

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by SagaciousTraveler »

Clark Howard has said Amazon is much more of a convenience and not a place to find the best deal.

With that said it still has it uses. For my Wife's self employed business we signed up for Prime to get materials faster we can't find locally.

With Prime comes some decent perks like prime video. I know they you have access to prime music but we don't use it.

I have my own personal issues with some of Amazons practices so my use of them is much more limited than previously. As for products, we usually try to find it around here to pick up or go straight to the product maker website.
MadAsgardian
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:35 am

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by MadAsgardian »

It’s tough to beat Amazon when you need something delivered fast, but I mostly use them for long-distance, last-minute gifts these days. I’m happy to pay a small business a little extra in the hopes they know how to properly ship an item — most stuff I order from Amazon arrives damaged, rattling around loose in a empty box.
User avatar
ClevrChico
Posts: 2500
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:24 pm

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by ClevrChico »

I only did four Amazon orders in 2021, as I find them price competitive on only a handful of things these days. (Shoes and a few specialty household electronics.)

In comparison, I did a couple dozen orders on Ebay in 2021.
minimalistmarc
Posts: 1486
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:38 pm

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by minimalistmarc »

Love Amazon.
Trism
Posts: 898
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:34 pm

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by Trism »

For shopping I think of Amazon like I do 7-11.

For anything but convenience purchases, I shop around, and I'm personally not offended when I see an online ad for a metal spatula after purchasing a bbq grill.
jebmke
Posts: 15939
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm
Location: Delmarva Peninsula

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by jebmke »

Easier and faster to buy local. Less cardboard.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Slacker
Posts: 1029
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 8:40 am

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by Slacker »

I use Amazon for two purposes:
Rare hard to find items that I can't easily source elsewhere (like an accessory for a less popular phone that went out of production 3 years ago) or for price history comparison of a product that is listed as "on sale" at any retailer using camelcamelcamel.
KA0400
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:49 pm

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by KA0400 »

Amazon offers convenience and speed plus pretty good CS, so for now I stay. When I had a baby Prime was a godsend to avoid having to go to big box store XYZ for diapers, wipes, etc. Plus I used subscribe and save and got 15% off my total order.

A side benefit has been using Prime to ship stuff to family and friends (gifts, other needs) around the country quickly. I try to only purchase stuff sold by and shipped from Amazon.com, but their return and refund policy has been top-notch when I’ve ran into issues regardless of the seller.
User avatar
oldcomputerguy
Moderator
Posts: 13989
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:50 am
Location: Tennessee

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by oldcomputerguy »

guppyguy wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:54 pm So has anybody deleted their Amazon account entirely?
No, and I probably never will. I have about a hundred books on my Kindle account, and closing my Amazon account would remove my access to any that are not already downloaded to my Kindle device.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
FireSekr
Posts: 1250
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:54 am

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by FireSekr »

kevinf wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:14 am
Tony wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:05 pm Yes I've walked away. The more I learn about the way Amazon treats its employees, the happier I am to be out of it. I don't care that much about missing out on saving money - I can view that as one of my charitable donations.
I also don't like the fact that, because of Amazon, other businesses have not survived.
Marylander1 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:23 pm We dropped Prime and look elsewhere before resorting to Amazon, largely because of the way they treat their employees and the insane prevalence of counterfeit goods. Amazon accepted our returns of counterfeit products, and used products sold as new, but I don't want to invest so much effort in detecting counterfeits when it's much easier to purchase from a vendor that maintains a supply chain instead of letting rejected products get inserted and sold as new. We found Amazon's "co-mingling" policy meant that even "sold by and shipped by Amazon" products were used or counterfeit or expired.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/you-might- ... 1576599910

We will sign up for another month to watch the final season of The Expanse.

Marylander1
Amazon is famous for having a chew-them-up and spit-them-out culture. It's unfortunate that their focus on consumer satisfaction doesn't extend inward to the people that make that possible.
Aside from how they treat their customers, I take issue with their anticompetitive practices.

Used to have prime and ordered $3-4k a year through Amazon. 1.5 years ago I decided I did not feel comfortable supporting Amazon and cancelled prime. I have not ordered a single item through Amazon since then and don’t miss it at all.

When I want to buy something I either get it directly through the manufacturers website or find it locally for the same price or less than amazon. I don’t care that I need to wait an extra day or two for shipping.
User avatar
MikeWillRetire
Posts: 592
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:36 pm

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by MikeWillRetire »

As someone who is old enough to remember ordering things from a catalog and having to wait 6 to 8 weeks, I am still amazed at Amazon and internet purchasing in general.
MangoMama
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:45 pm

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by MangoMama »

Our Amazon Prime renews next month so we decided to give a try Apple One for one month. We have one foot in the Apple ecosystem (iPhones), the other in Amazon's (Fire tables & Dots). For about $4 more per month we get Apple TV, News, Fitness, and Arcade for 6 people ($30) as compared to Prime, Amazon Music (one device can listen at a time), and iCloud 2TB for $26. Plus all our Echo Dot's can be set to use Apple Music instead of Amazon's. It'll be nice to bypass Amazon Music in the cars using CarPlay.
User avatar
SmileyFace
Posts: 7013
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by SmileyFace »

Between Amazon shopping and Whole Foods we got $850 back last year on our Prime credit card. And we do shop around before ordering from Amazon to assure we are getting a competitive price.
Several times I have found their order searching capability come in handy for things like fridge filters, mower blades, etc - nice database of all purchases. Between the lookup capability and kindle books and other stored data like turbotax software licenses not sure why I would delete my account even if I canceled Prime and stopped shopping there.
jebmke
Posts: 15939
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm
Location: Delmarva Peninsula

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by jebmke »

Slacker wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:05 am I use Amazon for two purposes:
Rare hard to find items that I can't easily source elsewhere (like an accessory for a less popular phone that went out of production 3 years ago) or for price history comparison of a product that is listed as "on sale" at any retailer using camelcamelcamel.
same; I find things locally at same or better price most of the time. Often other online sites have better prices for the few things I can't get locally. AMZ every once in a while is the only place, it seems.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Trism
Posts: 898
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:34 pm

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by Trism »

kevinf wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:14 am
Tony wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:05 pm Yes I've walked away. The more I learn about the way Amazon treats its employees, the happier I am to be out of it. I don't care that much about missing out on saving money - I can view that as one of my charitable donations.
I also don't like the fact that, because of Amazon, other businesses have not survived.
Marylander1 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:23 pm We dropped Prime and look elsewhere before resorting to Amazon, largely because of the way they treat their employees and the insane prevalence of counterfeit goods. Amazon accepted our returns of counterfeit products, and used products sold as new, but I don't want to invest so much effort in detecting counterfeits when it's much easier to purchase from a vendor that maintains a supply chain instead of letting rejected products get inserted and sold as new. We found Amazon's "co-mingling" policy meant that even "sold by and shipped by Amazon" products were used or counterfeit or expired.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/you-might- ... 1576599910

We will sign up for another month to watch the final season of The Expanse.

Marylander1
Amazon is famous for having a chew-them-up and spit-them-out culture. It's unfortunate that their focus on consumer satisfaction doesn't extend inward to the people that make that possible.
Amazon has over a million employees, and they're famous for optimizing everything for efficiency.

This appeals to a different slice of the workforce than those who want to punch a clock and sit on a stool behind the counter at the post office, which also isn't for everyone.

Some get spit out, many stay and complain, and many more are high performers who have decided that the comp and opportunities are better with Amazon than the other options in their community.
Escapevelocity
Posts: 928
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:32 am

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by Escapevelocity »

I walked away as an investor not as a customer. Sold my AMZN stock on 10/29/21 at $3309 and rotated into Total Market and SP500 index funds. AMZN down about 15% since then vs 5-7% on the funds I bought. So far so good.
User avatar
Shackleton
Posts: 657
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:20 pm

Re: Nope

Post by Shackleton »

Bogle7 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:19 pm We are very satisfied with Jeff’s empire.
In 2021, we spent way over $2000.
We spent $45k-50k/yr on our Amazon Prime Visa, almost all of it at Amazon. But got fed up with Jeff’s and Amazon’s politics, we canceled our Prime and only use Amazon to watch movies which we have previously purchased. Other vendors (mostly Walmart) get our business now, [OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]. If we didn’t live in such a small town, we’d only shop local but many things are difficult to find here.
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton
Topic Author
guppyguy
Posts: 299
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:24 pm

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by guppyguy »

So I checked. We spent about $6K last year on Amazon, with nearly 3/4 of our Christmas shopping done there. All of the spending was on their cashback Visa at 5% so rewards of about $300.

This year I think we will try looking elsewhere and let the Prime membership lap. Amazon has its advantages but I don't want the preference to become permanent.
Onlineid3089
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:47 pm

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by Onlineid3089 »

We don't have a TV service, so we stream Amazon Prime or Youtube (regular, free Youtube) when watching anything. If I cancelled Prime my wife would demand we subscribe to something else as she prefers TV shows or movies vs the content I enjoy on Youtube, so we just stick with Prime to keep the free faster shipping.
User avatar
lthenderson
Posts: 6683
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:43 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by lthenderson »

guppyguy wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:54 pm Personally, I've been less and less satisfied with Amazon since the pandemic due to extended delivery times and shame reviews.

So has anybody deleted their Amazon account entirely?
My alternative to many things I buy on Amazon is a 230 mile round trip by vehicle. The $35 in fuel, not even counting time and wear on the vehicle, is more than worth the cost of Prime and two day delivery. Even if it takes 5 days, I'm still way ahead. I have no plans to delete Amazon.
User avatar
willthrill81
Posts: 30774
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by willthrill81 »

SnowBog wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:23 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:45 pm ...decided not to renew our Amazon Prime...We'll still order from them occasionally, but their prices have gotten too high on many items. It's not uncommon for them to charge double or more for an identical item what we can buy it for on other sites or locally.
Out of curiosity, what other sites?

For items large enough, I'll check prices at Amazon and national retailers like Target, Walmart, etc. and - where applicable - local grocery stores, and buy the one that's the best value (I'm willing to pay a little more to have it show up at my door with no hassle).

I'll also occasionally check Edge's built-in "price checker", but I rarely buy from what to me are "unknown sites" that pop up on there from time-to-time. So, I'm curious if there are reputable sites I should be paying more attention to...
We've bought a fair amount of RV related supplies this last year, and while we bought most of it through Amazon, we from several other retailers with better prices on certain items. etrailer was one of them. I bought customized, very heavy battery cables from another retailer, though I cannot remember which now, that was priced better than Amazon too. Local retailers are often cheaper than Amazon.
“Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men.” J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings
quantAndHold
Posts: 7340
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:39 pm

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by quantAndHold »

PoppyA wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:31 pm If you have the Amazon credit card, are you quoted a higher price on items ?
No, that doesn’t happen.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
andypanda
Posts: 1264
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:11 pm
Location: Richmond, Virginia

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by andypanda »

I use Amazon all the time if their price matches or is better than I can find elsewhere. Once I even got same day delivery. Ordered on a Sunday morning and got it delivered by 4 p.m. We're in the center of four or five Amazon facilities (within 15 or 20 miles anyway) and 12 miles from the airport. And we live in the country.

I ordered two pairs of shoes day before yesterday, one for me and one for my wife. Both are Sperry Topsider Original 2-eye Boat Shoes. Everyone around here sells them for list price - $95.00.

Mine were $66.00 and hers were $55.95. And I get 5% Prime cash back.

Bought a $148.00 six-foot digging bar with an ax-head on one end last week to move some medium English boxwoods (to make way for a new deck) and didn't have to pay shipping. It's a 16-pounder. It was the same price plus shipping everywhere I looked, but nobody sells it locally.
jebmke
Posts: 15939
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm
Location: Delmarva Peninsula

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by jebmke »

Sadly it is getting harder and harder to find B&M places to buy shoes. I hope most of mine last (pardon the pun) and my feet don't change.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Californiastate
Posts: 953
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:52 am

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by Californiastate »

I disconnected our echos. I was tired of A**** butting into and/or listening to conversations it wasn't invited. You need to watch their pricing as always but free shipping with a great return service has value. They have a lot of employees. Of course some won't be happy. They could all get company vehicles and some still would want to WFH. You can't make everybody happy.
User avatar
TheTimeLord
Posts: 9960
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by TheTimeLord »

willthrill81 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:57 am
SnowBog wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:23 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:45 pm ...decided not to renew our Amazon Prime...We'll still order from them occasionally, but their prices have gotten too high on many items. It's not uncommon for them to charge double or more for an identical item what we can buy it for on other sites or locally.
Out of curiosity, what other sites?

For items large enough, I'll check prices at Amazon and national retailers like Target, Walmart, etc. and - where applicable - local grocery stores, and buy the one that's the best value (I'm willing to pay a little more to have it show up at my door with no hassle).

I'll also occasionally check Edge's built-in "price checker", but I rarely buy from what to me are "unknown sites" that pop up on there from time-to-time. So, I'm curious if there are reputable sites I should be paying more attention to...
We've bought a fair amount of RV related supplies this last year, and while we bought most of it through Amazon, we from several other retailers with better prices on certain items. etrailer was one of them. I bought customized, very heavy battery cables from another retailer, though I cannot remember which now, that was priced better than Amazon too. Local retailers are often cheaper than Amazon.
Were the items being Sold By Amazon or just Fulfilled by Amazon, that makes a big difference. Amazon is a platform as well as a retailer.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
User avatar
willthrill81
Posts: 30774
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by willthrill81 »

TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:09 am
willthrill81 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:57 am
SnowBog wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:23 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:45 pm ...decided not to renew our Amazon Prime...We'll still order from them occasionally, but their prices have gotten too high on many items. It's not uncommon for them to charge double or more for an identical item what we can buy it for on other sites or locally.
Out of curiosity, what other sites?

For items large enough, I'll check prices at Amazon and national retailers like Target, Walmart, etc. and - where applicable - local grocery stores, and buy the one that's the best value (I'm willing to pay a little more to have it show up at my door with no hassle).

I'll also occasionally check Edge's built-in "price checker", but I rarely buy from what to me are "unknown sites" that pop up on there from time-to-time. So, I'm curious if there are reputable sites I should be paying more attention to...
We've bought a fair amount of RV related supplies this last year, and while we bought most of it through Amazon, we from several other retailers with better prices on certain items. etrailer was one of them. I bought customized, very heavy battery cables from another retailer, though I cannot remember which now, that was priced better than Amazon too. Local retailers are often cheaper than Amazon.
Were the items being Sold By Amazon or just Fulfilled by Amazon, that makes a big difference. Amazon is a platform as well as a retailer.
Great question. We've seen both be priced quite high.

Clark Howard has said that Amazon has been increasing prices for many of their items as they're trying to become more profitable.
“Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men.” J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings
User avatar
TheTimeLord
Posts: 9960
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by TheTimeLord »

Someone explain to me why their care Amazon has the purchase history? My grocery store has my purchase history and obviously customizes the coupons it sends me to things I purchase. BTW, this has been going on since the at least the late 80s. They send you a coupon they know will get you in the store in hopes you buy additional items. Personally, I have also found targeted advertising by Amazon, Google and Facebook to have been more useful than annoying by informing me about things I am interested in that in many cases I never knew existed.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
alfaspider
Posts: 4093
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:44 pm

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by alfaspider »

jebmke wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:20 am Easier and faster to buy local. Less cardboard.
You might get the item more quickly perhaps, but it's hard to beat the ease and speed of one click buying on your phone. There's a premium for the convenience, but I could decide "hey, I need toilet paper", pull it up on my phone, and have it on the way to may house tomorrow in 15 seconds flat. Can't even walk out to my car that fast.

In a lot of cases, the premium for Amazon is less than what it would cost in gas and car wear/tear to go to the store and back. There are other sites of course, but those typically don't work well for purchases under $20 or so, as shipping tends to eat up most of it. There are items I've ordered on Amazon for $5 shipped to me, which is less than shipping alone from anywhere else. There's also the factor of knowing the item you are available. For example, I need a certain size metric bolt. I can order a pack of 4 in 15 seconds from my phone on Amazon for $8 shipped to me, or I can drive to Home Depot, spend 10 minutes rooting around in disorganized bins, and then find out they only have 2 in stock and I need 4. Yes, the bolt was only $1.25/ea there, but I just wasted half an hour of my time and $3 worth of gas and car wear/tear. Or, I can order from McMaster Carr (hardware specialty store), where the bolt will be 50 cents each, but I will pay $10 for shipping and have to manually enter my address and payment info.

Not a plug for Amazon per-se, but an explanation of why some people get pretty locked into it.
Last edited by alfaspider on Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
TheTimeLord
Posts: 9960
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by TheTimeLord »

willthrill81 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:13 am
TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:09 am
willthrill81 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:57 am
SnowBog wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:23 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:45 pm ...decided not to renew our Amazon Prime...We'll still order from them occasionally, but their prices have gotten too high on many items. It's not uncommon for them to charge double or more for an identical item what we can buy it for on other sites or locally.
Out of curiosity, what other sites?

For items large enough, I'll check prices at Amazon and national retailers like Target, Walmart, etc. and - where applicable - local grocery stores, and buy the one that's the best value (I'm willing to pay a little more to have it show up at my door with no hassle).

I'll also occasionally check Edge's built-in "price checker", but I rarely buy from what to me are "unknown sites" that pop up on there from time-to-time. So, I'm curious if there are reputable sites I should be paying more attention to...
We've bought a fair amount of RV related supplies this last year, and while we bought most of it through Amazon, we from several other retailers with better prices on certain items. etrailer was one of them. I bought customized, very heavy battery cables from another retailer, though I cannot remember which now, that was priced better than Amazon too. Local retailers are often cheaper than Amazon.
Were the items being Sold By Amazon or just Fulfilled by Amazon, that makes a big difference. Amazon is a platform as well as a retailer.
Great question. We've seen both be priced quite high.

Clark Howard has said that Amazon has been increasing prices for many of their items as they're trying to become more profitable.
Funny story, during the early days of the pandemic I couldn't get my favorite soda. Found someone selling it on Amazon and boom it was delivered to my house. Now, I was paying around double for it, but who cares I wanted it, couldn't find it and didn't have to expose myself to Covid to get so I took it as a win-win.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
jebmke
Posts: 15939
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm
Location: Delmarva Peninsula

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by jebmke »

I don't care about the history; I also don't get ads from them because I typically use a VM for most online shopping, as little as I do. I care more about the cardboard. I also like to support the local businesses when I can, even the box stores like Target and Lowes because they employ people locally.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
jebmke
Posts: 15939
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm
Location: Delmarva Peninsula

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by jebmke »

alfaspider wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:22 am You might get the item more quickly perhaps, but it's hard to beat the ease and speed of one click buying on your phone. There's a premium for the convenience, but I could decide "hey, I need toilet paper", pull it up on my phone, and have it on the way to may house tomorrow in 15 seconds flat. Can't even walk out to my car that fast.
Eventually you won't ever have to leave the house. I suppose in the metaverse, you won't even need TP. :beer
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
alfaspider
Posts: 4093
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:44 pm

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by alfaspider »

jebmke wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:24 am
alfaspider wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:22 am You might get the item more quickly perhaps, but it's hard to beat the ease and speed of one click buying on your phone. There's a premium for the convenience, but I could decide "hey, I need toilet paper", pull it up on my phone, and have it on the way to may house tomorrow in 15 seconds flat. Can't even walk out to my car that fast.
Eventually you won't ever have to leave the house. I suppose in the metaverse, you won't even need TP. :beer
I suppose Meta and Amazon could one day merge to ensure the proper nutrients are delivered to the warm goo you are suspended in while you inhabit the Matrix.
eric321
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:49 pm

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by eric321 »

I avoid shopping on Amazon.

I have fundamental disagreements with how the company operates.

The environmental side with the shipping materials and shipping methods.

The social side with how they treat employees.

Finally, I am appauled by the censorship of their web services platform of social media platforms such as parlor.

There are other companies that align better with my values and they get my money.
User avatar
TheTimeLord
Posts: 9960
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by TheTimeLord »

alfaspider wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:27 am
jebmke wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:24 am
alfaspider wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:22 am You might get the item more quickly perhaps, but it's hard to beat the ease and speed of one click buying on your phone. There's a premium for the convenience, but I could decide "hey, I need toilet paper", pull it up on my phone, and have it on the way to may house tomorrow in 15 seconds flat. Can't even walk out to my car that fast.
Eventually you won't ever have to leave the house. I suppose in the metaverse, you won't even need TP. :beer
I suppose Meta and Amazon could one day merge to ensure the proper nutrients are delivered to the warm goo you are suspended in while you inhabit the Matrix.
Perhaps the future will be closer to the movie "Surrogates"?
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
SnowBog
Posts: 3083
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:21 pm

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by SnowBog »

alfaspider wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:22 am
jebmke wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:20 am Easier and faster to buy local. Less cardboard.
You might get the item more quickly perhaps, but it's hard to beat the ease and speed of one click buying on your phone. There's a premium for the convenience, but I could decide "hey, I need toilet paper", pull it up on my phone, and have it on the way to may house tomorrow in 15 seconds flat. Can't even walk out to my car that fast.
+1

This is one of those "simplified" areas in my life. If I know we are out of something, I like the convenience of just ordering it and letting it show up.

That said, I've started to use local online order/pick up options more. I'm a fan of Target in particular (close to my house), I can add things to my cart, often over days, and when ready submit the order and pickup in two hours. My local grocery store just went to a free (with minimum purchase) online order / pickup as well. Their interface isn't as good, so I usually have to make more effort to buy from them - but they usually have more selections and lower prices than Target / Amazon / etc. (at least for grocery related items).

While they both offer delivery options, given that I'm only a few miles away, I find it's a good excuse to get out and about for a bit. Just pull up, open trunk, and I'm on my way.

But convenience is definitely a factor. A big factor.
User avatar
TheTimeLord
Posts: 9960
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by TheTimeLord »

eric321 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:31 am I avoid shopping on Amazon.

I have fundamental disagreements with how the company operates.

The environmental side with the shipping materials and shipping methods.

The social side with how they treat employees.

Finally, I am appauled by the censorship of their web services platform of social media platforms such as parlor.

There are other companies that align better with my values and they get my money.
Are you under the impression other companies don't use warehouses? The biggest complaint I hear about Amazon is other companies think they pay their employees too much, similar to Costco.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
jebmke
Posts: 15939
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm
Location: Delmarva Peninsula

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by jebmke »

alfaspider wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:27 am I suppose Meta and Amazon could one day merge to ensure the proper nutrients are delivered to the warm goo you are suspended in while you inhabit the Matrix.
or there is always Soylent Green.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
alfaspider
Posts: 4093
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:44 pm

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by alfaspider »

TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:36 am
eric321 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:31 am I avoid shopping on Amazon.

I have fundamental disagreements with how the company operates.

The environmental side with the shipping materials and shipping methods.

The social side with how they treat employees.

Finally, I am appauled by the censorship of their web services platform of social media platforms such as parlor.

There are other companies that align better with my values and they get my money.
Are you under the impression other companies don't use warehouses? The biggest complaint I hear about Amazon is other companies think they pay their employees too much, similar to Costco.
They pay warehouse and delivery workers well relative to other menial jobs, but they do treat employees like the machines Amazon wishes they were.
User avatar
peetsperk
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:02 pm

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by peetsperk »

In December, I reviewed average Amazon days shipping for our Prime orders during the last year and realized they rarely ship to our location in less than 3 days. In fact, it's usually 4 to 5 days. If you live somewhere that does not routinely have 2 day, 1 day or same day shipping from Amazon, I believe your Prime membership is subsidizing those who live in larger urban areas. The other Prime "perks" are not enough to counter this significant shortfall on their basic promise. I cancelled Prime and have not regretted it.
alfaspider
Posts: 4093
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:44 pm

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by alfaspider »

peetsperk wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:56 am In December, I reviewed average Amazon days shipping for our Prime orders during the last year and realized they rarely ship to our location in less than 3 days. In fact, it's usually 4 to 5 days. If you live somewhere that does not routinely have 2 day, 1 day or same day shipping from Amazon, I believe your Prime membership is subsidizing those who live in larger urban areas. The other Prime "perks" are not enough to counter this significant shortfall on their basic promise. I cancelled Prime and have not regretted it.
I don't think you are really "subsidizing" other users so much as you simply are outside the range of their ability to deliver the real selling point for the product. I'm guessing it's a lot cheaper for Amazon to deliver locally from its own warehouse as opposed to paying a delivery service to ship from a remote warehouse.
User avatar
TheTimeLord
Posts: 9960
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: Have you walked away from Amazon?

Post by TheTimeLord »

alfaspider wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:43 am
TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:36 am
eric321 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:31 am I avoid shopping on Amazon.

I have fundamental disagreements with how the company operates.

The environmental side with the shipping materials and shipping methods.

The social side with how they treat employees.

Finally, I am appauled by the censorship of their web services platform of social media platforms such as parlor.

There are other companies that align better with my values and they get my money.
Are you under the impression other companies don't use warehouses? The biggest complaint I hear about Amazon is other companies think they pay their employees too much, similar to Costco.
They pay warehouse and delivery workers well relative to other menial jobs, but they do treat employees like the machines Amazon wishes they were.
First yes all warehouse jobs like FedEx, Amazon and the U.S. post office that have sorting and picking treat their workers like machines. Second, at least the people I know who have applied for or got jobs at an Amazon facility indicate their pay was superior to what other companies were offering in the area.They also seem to have a fairly full slate of benefits for full time workers which is very different from the jobs these folks were often leaving.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Post Reply