Snowblower issues: I'm the problem

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
runner9

Snowblower issues: I'm the problem

Post by runner9 »

I have a Honda snowblower that I've had about 10 years, it's a Honda HS520AS. It has a spot to plug in an extension cord to start. I'm in NE Ohio, just into the snow belt off Lake Erie.

Last year I struggled to keep it running and took it twice to an old fashioned hardware store. He said, especially the second time, that he had no issues with it. I switched to premium gas with stabilizer and made it through last winter, then ran it dry.

This October I put a little fuel in and it started up fine. Overnight we got 15 inches which was first time to use this season. I got it running without much trouble and ran it through a lot of snow for probably 30 minutes and then it stopped suddenly. I checked that there was gas which there was and added some.

I kept retrying and could get it going for about 3 minute at most. I stopped and came inside for lunch, and watched some videos about using the choke, etc. Then I went back out and it wouldn't start except once, for about a minute. I shoveled 1/3 to 1/2 the driveway by hand.

I feel like I'm not qualified to keep this going and should revisit researching electric/battery snow blowers that I was looking at early in the fall. At the same time this should be to hard, I should be able to figure this out. At the same time, it shouldn't be that hard.

I just learned I'll be home tomorrow so I could mess around with it as well, plenty of sidewalks that are "post holing" only right now.

I'm not sure what I'm asking, any suggestions or advice appreciated.
curmudgeon

Re: Snowblower issues: I'm the problem

Post by curmudgeon »

Replace the fuel filter. Also make sure the air vent to the tank (usually a pinhole in the gas cap) is not clogged.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

runner9 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:04 pm I'm not sure what I'm asking, any suggestions or advice appreciated.
Take it to the hardware store. Show them what you are doing. Ask them to show you what you are doing wrong.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
Boglegrappler

Post by Boglegrappler »

I own a Honda that I've had a small issue with. Loosen the gas cap. There is a vent that can become plugged, and if it does, the fuel pump cannot overcome the vacuum being created by the fuel being extracted with no air replacing the volume. May not be your problem, but it solved mine.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Boglegrappler wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:11 pm I own a Honda that I've had a small issue with. Loosen the gas cap. There is a vent that can become plugged, and if it does, the fuel pump cannot overcome the vacuum being created by the fuel being extracted with no air replacing the volume. May not be your problem, but it solved mine.
It is unlikely that a snowblower has a fuel pump. Most are gravity fed.
Walleyewhacker

Post by Walleyewhacker »

If you can find some, go with marine gas, doesn’t have ethanol in it. I run it all the time in small engines (weed whips, edgers, leaf blowers, lawn mowers and snow blowers.) Used to have a lot of issues with carburetor build up, not since I went with marine gas.
Agree that you should bring it back and have them work with you so they see the problem your having. Good luck!
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Gas engines basically run if they have spark, fuel, air, and compression. If it's not running you are missing one or more of those.

My guess is that you either aren't using the choke correctly and you're flooding that bad boy, or you are and the engine has a problem.

The most likely problem for a seasonal snowblower to have is a dirty carburetor. This is not solved by adding magic, costly fluid to the fuel tank. It's solved by disassembling the carburetor to clean it thoroughly. This is not hard to do, but it is repair shop stuff if you aren't mechanically inclined. You might as well replace the spark plug while you are at it, since it has probably been fouled and it's due anyway.

Lastly, see if there is any reason why the engine might be starved for fuel, like a clogged screen in the tank, clogged fuel filter, or something like that.

Snowblowers do not have air filters.
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

Walleyewhacker wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:30 pm If you can find some, go with marine gas, doesn’t have ethanol in it. I run it all the time in small engines (weed whips, edgers, leaf blowers, lawn mowers and snow blowers.) Used to have a lot of issues with carburetor build up, not since I went with marine gas.
Agree that you should bring it back and have them work with you so they see the problem your having. Good luck!
+1 wherever possible, use ethanol-free gas in anything that is not an automobile.

But, probably not the OP's problem. I go with blockage in the fuel line somehow or flooding the engine during the start process.

I have a Snow*King Tecumseh that has a fine line between not enough priming vs. being flooded, especially after I ran it dry before storage. I prime 3-4 times, try to start, if it does not start after three pulls, prime 1 more, repeat until I get it to start.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

I would buy another one. You got 10 years out of it with a little maintenance.

This is a single stage, and they do not seem to last as long as two stage snowblowers.
Boglegrappler

Post by Boglegrappler »

That would make sense, and all the more explanatory re: why my Honda stalled with the fuel cap on tight. I'll repeat. Try loosening the fuel cap.

Edit: the symptoms were that the blower would run for a couple of minutes and then "stall" and be difficult to restart. The stalling seemed to happen at about the same running time. It took a while, and followed a lot of investigation/cleaning and other operations to realize that it was the fuel cap vent not operating correctly.
Nver2Late

Post by Nver2Late »

To me this sounds like an Ethanol fuel issue. Home Depot / Lowes carries a product call "Ethanol Shield" which is a small engine additive to deal with today's high ethanol fuels. If it seems like it shuts off once the engine gets hot, this is likely the problem.

EDIT: (I was having a similar problem with my snowblower, so I called MTD tech support and asked what's up with your engine. They put me on to the ethanol issue and told me to try the additive. It fixed the problem for me - to me it seemed like it shut off when it overheated)
Last edited by Nver2Late on Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Better is the enemy of good." Good is good.
BatBuckeye

Post by BatBuckeye »

RE: Carburetor. My suspicion it's the carb if it has not ever been cleaned.
My chipper/shredder, 20 + years old, ran badly and then it didn't even run. Small motor shop said overhaul/rebuild carburetor, $100. Runs great now.
My son got a Honda pressure washer with his recent house purchase because it didn't run. The former owner suspected dirt in carb so we took the bowl off to clean and accidently destroyed bowl gasket. It's about 1/8" wide and a 2" circle. Really small and fragile. Checked at Honda for a new gasket. The lady at the parts desk looked at me over her reading glasses and said, "That gasket will cost you $8!..let's see what a carb will cost...I can get you a carb for $22". Needed a gasket between carb and motor and that machine works fine with the new carb. Maybe you can just get a new carb for not much money. I still wonder if I could have gotten a new carb for my chipper for less than 100.
To check the vent in gas cap just loosen the cap to see if that makes a difference.
If you go back to a shop be sure to explain it won't start when hot.
mortfree

Post by mortfree »

Longshot but when you stop and try to restart again are you closing the choke?

That’s not necessary since the engine is warmed up.

I think there’s more to it though.
Mid-40’s
TrueBlueNYC

Post by TrueBlueNYC »

Your post is very timely, as I spent a good chunk of my morning trying to coax my reluctant Ariens snowblower to start. I finally ended up giving up and calling a mobile repair person. He showed up and diagnosed it as the leftover gas from last winter that had gunked up the carburetor. He said he will have to take it back to his shop to remove it and clean it, and also empty the old gas out of my tank. He recommended that I also use an additive to the gas to prevent it from gunking up again (technical term). He also said these gas snow blowers require annual maintenance.

I had inherited this from my uncle when they retired and had used it a good decade without much trouble. I will have to see if this gas additive prevents further headaches. I had half a mind to get online and buy an electric snowblower, but those bad boys were pretty expensive ($800+). I'd like to see if this snowblower will last me a few more years before I have to spring for an electric!
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

BatBuckeye wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:29 pm RE: Carburetor. My suspicion it's the carb if it has not ever been cleaned.
"That gasket will cost you $8!..let's see what a carb will cost...I can get you a carb for $22". I still wonder if I could have gotten a new carb for my chipper for less than 100.
Tried cleaning the carb on my 4-cycle lawn edger-needed a slow jet (wouldn't unplug) and couldn't find a rebuild kit. Wasted two hours troubleshooting, disassembling, etc. Then I checked Amazon and they had a new carb for $25! Fifteen minutes to install the new carb and the edger runs like a champ! Note- my carb has three linkages that control choke, etc. Make sure you take some photos before you remove the carb - makes re-installation a snap.
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

I’ve got an even older Honda, and it’s basically bullet proof thus far. I’d guess it’s a choke problem.

I really think some of these “old gas” stories are old wives tales. I leave gas in my blower and mower heat round, and never have an issue. I do shut the gas off via the gas valve and run them dry at the end of the season. And it sounds like the OP did as well.

But since he ran for 30 minutes, then it died…..

I just can’t believe a battery powered snow blower would work well enough, or long enough, to be useful for heavy snow.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

If your model has enough capacity for what you need, I wouldn't spend any more money on it and would just get a corded electric. Probably the larger electric models would be roughly comparable. I had a similar size (20in if I recall) electric when I lived in upstate NY and it worked well enough. They don't cost much and would likely last a long time with no fiddling. The power cord will be a little annoying due to lack of flexibility in low temperatures; maybe some models are better in that respect than others.
Nver2Late

Post by Nver2Late »

tibbitts wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:16 pm If your model has enough capacity for what you need, I wouldn't spend any more money on it and would just get a corded electric. Probably the larger electric models would be roughly comparable. I had a similar size (20in if I recall) electric when I lived in upstate NY and it worked well enough. They don't cost much and would likely last a long time with no fiddling. The power cord will be a little annoying due to lack of flexibility in low temperatures; maybe some models are better in that respect than others.
Its amazingly impressive how quick a snow blower can eat/roll up an extension cord.......
"Better is the enemy of good." Good is good.
prd1982

Post by prd1982 »

I’m amazed you have a 1-stage snowblower in the snow belt. A 15” snow is more than they are usually pay designed for.

I agree it could be old gas, you cannot get non ethanal gas easily where I live. I do buy a 1 quart can at the Home Depot. At the end of the season, I empty the tank, then run some of the non ethanal gas thru. The next season I run more through. Then I switch to regular gas. Also, always put in stabilizer.
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

tibbitts wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:16 pm If your model has enough capacity for what you need, I wouldn't spend any more money on it and would just get a corded electric. Probably the larger electric models would be roughly comparable. I had a similar size (20in if I recall) electric when I lived in upstate NY and it worked well enough. They don't cost much and would likely last a long time with no fiddling. The power cord will be a little annoying due to lack of flexibility in low temperatures; maybe some models are better in that respect than others.
No chance a corded electric snowblower would have worked in last night’s 15” - 20” snowfall in northern Ohio. Especially if your property is of any size at all.
Valjean

Post by Valjean »

Have you tried changing the spark plug? My snow blower was running really rough a couple of years ago and that really helped. Not the same brand but my snowblower is 22 years old. I had to replace a belt that broke this season and reseat a tire but overall my impression is that old snowblowers are really w to be repaired and maintained, unlike so much equipment and appliances nowadays.
Last edited by Valjean on Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

bradinsky wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:08 pm
No chance a corded electric snowblower would have worked in last night’s 15” - 20” snowfall in northern Ohio. Especially if your property is of any size at all.
At least when I lived there decades ago, upstate NY had snowfalls of similar magnitude, though not frequently, and the electric snowblower did work. However I wasn't in Ohio last night so I won't make claims about that specific snow. Property size was the usual 20ft driveway (though only 10ft wide) and about 100ft total of sidewalk. Obviously nobody would would knowingly wait for 15-20in of snow to accumulate before dealing with it (whether with a machine or manual shovel), so that amount of snow would only accumulate when the entire snowfall occurred between late night and morning. Certainly the machine had more difficulty with heavy, wet snow, so a more gradual approach was required. And the 2ft+ wall of ice chunks that would accumulate from the snow plows would require some manual intervention.

I assume you're familiar with the model the OP has and are aware that the intake is only about 12in tall, so I'm guessing you couldn't just shove it, in one pass, through 20in of snow either.
1TheGame

Post by 1TheGame »

Once I had nearly identical symptoms as the OP. As others have mentioned, the problem was the vent hole in the gas cap was clogged. Just ream out the hole in the cap with a toothpick or something similar.
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

tibbitts wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:24 pm
At least when I lived there decades ago, upstate NY had snowfalls of similar magnitude, though not frequently, and the electric snowblower did work. However I wasn't in Ohio last night so I won't make claims about that specific snow. Property size was the usual 20ft driveway (though only 10ft wide) and about 100ft total of sidewalk. Obviously nobody would would knowingly wait for 15-20in of snow to accumulate before dealing with it (whether with a machine or manual shovel), so that amount of snow would only accumulate when the entire snowfall occurred between late night and morning. Certainly the machine had more difficulty with heavy, wet snow, so a more gradual approach was required. And the 2ft+ wall of ice chunks that would accumulate from the snow plows would require some manual intervention.

I assume you're familiar with the model the OP has and are aware that the intake is only about 12in tall, so I'm guessing you couldn't just shove it, in one pass, through 20in of snow either.
I’m familiar with upstate New York weather. No criticism of electric snowblowers. Our snow belt weather here is tough on larger 2 stage machines. Last night’s snow started around 8am & intensified after midnight. The front coupled with lake effect & high winds made this morning interesting😁
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

bradinsky wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:36 pm

I’m familiar with upstate New York weather. No criticism of electric snowblowers. Our snow belt weather here is tough on larger 2 stage machines. Last night’s snow started around 8am & intensified after midnight. The front coupled with lake effect & high winds made this morning interesting😁
Certainly electric won't replace a two-stage unit if that's what someone needs; I was just going off the OP's apparent satisfaction with the existing similar-to-electric-sized single-stage unit (when it's working, that is.)
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

tibbitts wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:43 pm
bradinsky wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:36 pm

Certainly electric won't replace a two-stage unit if that's what someone needs; I was just going off the OP's apparent satisfaction with the existing similar-to-electric-sized single-stage unit (when it's working, that is.)
I have a 24” 2 stage & I called a plow truck in today. It was crazy & I’m old:)
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

MathWizard wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:48 pm I would buy another one. You got 10 years out of it with a little maintenance.

This is a single stage, and they do not seem to last as long as two stage snowblowers.
I would fix the minor issue that is causing the engine to stop first. Lots of good suggestions here: Check tank air vent, Change spark plug, Clean carburetor, use fresh gasoline and keep stabilizer in it. Also ensure snow/water/ice isn’t blocking the snow hood or housing over the engine air intake area. Double check choke is off when hot, and adjust mixture for smooth operation at operating temperature, if possible.
bearwithbear

Post by bearwithbear »

OP,

I have never been handy with gas engines. This year I decided I had enough (Bogleheads enough) and bought
the TORO 60-Volt Power Max E 24 in. 2-Stage Cordless from a local shop. They delivered it set up with the batteries charged.
My gas powered 2 stage was a TORO. The snowblower is the same only instead of a gas engine it has a battery compartment.
One storm so far and it handled it the same as the old TORO.

Best,
Bear
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

whodidntante wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:23 pm It is unlikely that a snowblower has a fuel pump. Most are gravity fed.
Mine does, but it's very unusual. :mrgreen: OPs does not, and is fed by a combination of gravity and the venturi (vacuum) effect in the carburetor. An unvented fuel tank could absolutely make it stall out due to fuel starvation.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

whodidntante wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:23 pm
Boglegrappler wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:11 pm I own a Honda that I've had a small issue with. Loosen the gas cap. There is a vent that can become plugged, and if it does, the fuel pump cannot overcome the vacuum being created by the fuel being extracted with no air replacing the volume. May not be your problem, but it solved mine.
True, but the vacuum created in the tank when the vent hole gets plugged causes gravity fed carbs to starve for fuel the same as pumped carbs :)
lazydavid wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:25 am
Mine does, but it's very unusual. :mrgreen: OPs does not, and is fed by a combination of gravity and the venturi (vacuum) effect in the carburetor. An unvented fuel tank could absolutely make it stall out due to fuel starvation.

The venturi effect in the carb is the same regardless of gravity or pump feed, and in both cases has nothing to do with initially getting fuel to the carburetor.

Pump and gravity feed are just two different ways of filling the fuel reservoir in a carb. The flow of fuel to that reservoir is then regulated either by a float (typical in gravity fed lawnmowers and snowblowers) or metering diaphragm (common in pumped carbs on handheld equipment, designed to operate in any orientation).

Once the fuel reservoir is full, the venturi effect is what draws that fuel though the jets into the airstream passing though the carburetor throat.

Before somebody says it: Devices that do not use the venturi effect but rather rely on a pump to force fuel though the jets into the airstream are not carburetors, they are throttle body fuel injection.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

Normchad wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:48 pm
I really think some of these “old gas” stories are old wives tales. I leave gas in my blower and mower heat round, and never have an issue. I do shut the gas off via the gas valve and run them dry at the end of the season. And it sounds like the OP did as well.
They are mostly, as are all the overblown fears about ethanol.

What happens when you leave gas in the machine all winter as all the light volatiles evaporate off first, lowering the octane and making it hard to start. Using a fuel stabilizer like Sta-Bil or Seafoam helps the gas last longer, but if the fuel system is not kept air tight even that wont help. Solution is to drain the old gas off and fill it with fresh, Including draining out the carburetor float bowl if necessary. Note that once you get it running you can slowly mix the old gas in with fresh over time to burn it off.

Re: Ethanol. Contrary to urban legends that wont die, ethanol doe NOT cause buildup. Ethanol is actually a strong solvent and the prime ingredient in a lot of fuel system cleaners. What happens is that when you have really old equipment that has buildup from years of dirty gas and you introduce ethanol it scrubs everything clean and all that loosened buildup ends up getting stuck in the carb jets. Equipment less than 10-15 years old that never ran on pre-ehtanol gas usually doesn't get dirty in the first place. Old school engine techs love to blame ethanol because its the one thing that "changed" when somebody brings in a 30 year old lawnmower that suddenly wont start and they are not chemists so dont know any better.

The disintegrating rubber problem is a mostly non-issue as well, anything made in the last 15-20 years or so has all Viton synthetic rubber components in the fuel system that are completely ethanol safe. Anything old enough to have been made with natural rubber lines and seals has probably had them all dry out and replaced by now.

And before somebody mentions "but Ethanol causes moisture problems" ... go read the ingredient list on a bottle of Drygas :)
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

Strange symptoms. Normally a problem with dirty carburetor would be hard starting the first time. To have it running for 30 minutes, then have problems, is strange. I suppose something (dirt or contamination) could have been knocked loose and plugged a jet. Honestly, that seems unlikely, but possible.

I've never had a problem with gas cap vent, although it certainly would explain your symptoms. Easy enough to find out, loosen the cap and try again. At least with plug in electric start you do not have to keep pulling the cord.
It could very well be the spark plug if it has not been replaced recently. I've had my old honda snow blower (hs624) for 15-20 years, and I think it is on its third spark plug. I keep a spare handy, along with shear bolts. On mine a bad spark plug will lead to hard starts. If it is hard to start I give it a new spark plug (in the old days I would have cleaned and reused the plug, but now they are pretty cheap so I just replace) Not shutting off after running for 30 minutes. But who knows, maybe the plug was on its last legs and needed to be cleaned or replaced.

Maybe you hit something during that first 30 minutes which damaged your machine? I hit a buried newspaper once, you should have seen the confetti fly! Eventually it jammed and sheared a shear bolt. I do not know if single stage snow blowers have shear bolts. Perhaps you have something stuck in your machine that stops it from running when you engage the auger?

I'd put in a new spark plug, loosen the gas cap, plug it in and give it a whirl. Play with the throttle and choke while spinning to see if it would come back to life. Sometimes I wish my blower had electric start . . .

If you have a local honda dealer nearby it might be worth giving them a try. A honda dealer that sells snowblowers will be more familiar with your machine than the local hardware store.

Here is a handy resource if you are handy
https://www.repairclinic.com/ProductDet ... DEQAvD_BwE
$3 for a new spark plug, $25 for a new carb.
I'm guessing you could have both installed for about $100. But you'd still have a 10 year old machine with other worn parts. It might be time to say "thank you for your service", and buy a new one?

If my Honda blower dies I'd be very tempted to buy a cordless one. Perhaps one of these
https://egopowerplus.com/power-snow-blowers/
I've had good luck with other ego tools. And I do like the easy start, no engine maintenance, and quiet operation.

I do not think I'd want a corded snow blower (or lawn mower). The cord would always seem to get in the way.
Retired 2019. So far, so good. I want to wake up every morning. But I want to die in my sleep. Just another conundrum. I think the solution might be afternoon naps ;)
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

On any fix it in life you go from the easiest and work up from there. Here, as noted over and over above, is to check that your gas cap has that hole free and clear. That is about easy as it will ever get for any mechanical engine problem.
OP, please do that one thing and get back and post the results.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

I would go to a Honda dealer and let them check it and tell you, and fix it if needed.
I tried to use my brand-new Ariens snow blower, could not start it, followed exactly the manual, had a mechanic from the dealer show me that I have to give extra fuel on a very cold engine. It threw the snow from my double wide driveway wonderfully.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Replace the spark plug. Buy a spark plug tester. It'll have a light and when the spark gets energy, it lights. Make sure that's working.

Replace ALL fuel lines. They're old at this point and a pin hole can open up. Honda engines need perfect fuel/air to run unlike the Tecumseh and Briggs that'll run on virtually anything.

Remove the fuel tank. Dump the fuel. Clean the tank thoroughly. Re-install and re-fill.

Replace the air filter.

Replace the fuel filter.

Change the oil.

The snow blower at 10 years old needs all this maintenance done.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

Top tip: Figure it out before the next snow fall. Unless you like shoveling snow.
Retired 2019. So far, so good. I want to wake up every morning. But I want to die in my sleep. Just another conundrum. I think the solution might be afternoon naps ;)
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Good reason to get a new spiffy super cool latest model hemi powered super snow blower?

j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:03 am
Replace the air filter.

The snow blower at 10 years old needs all this maintenance done.
There is no air filter to replace on the snow blower.
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

One easy thing to try is getting no-ethanol gas. Often makes a difference in small engines.
https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

Sandtrap wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:20 am Good reason to get a new spiffy super cool latest model hemi powered super snow blower?

j🌺
I have not looked at new snow blowers. I have looked at new cars. I wonder if they both might be in limited supply
Topic Author
runner9

Post by runner9 »

Thank you all. I went out this morning, pulled out choke, turned on gas and machine, plugged in and... wouldn't start. I took off the gas cap and it started right up! I looked at the gas cap, pushed the little air valve thing a few times and put it back on but not as tight. It worked as well as expected when the snow is taller than the snow blower--very slowly and with a lot of pushing on my part but only stalled a couple times and restarted right away. I'll keep an eye on the gas cap and replace if it continues to be an issue. Thanks!
Onlineid3089

Post by Onlineid3089 »

bearwithbear wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:58 am OP,

I have never been handy with gas engines. This year I decided I had enough (Bogleheads enough) and bought
the TORO 60-Volt Power Max E 24 in. 2-Stage Cordless from a local shop. They delivered it set up with the batteries charged.
My gas powered 2 stage was a TORO. The snowblower is the same only instead of a gas engine it has a battery compartment.
One storm so far and it handled it the same as the old TORO.

Best,
Bear
That looks awesome! I wonder how many years the batteries last, those puppies are spendy :shock:
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

I'll just throw my 2 cents in, the most important thing to do, after the season is done, is to drain the gas tank, and more importantly, drain the carburetor bowl. Once gas gets old, with the temperature swings in summer, your carburetor will get gunked up and progressively worse, ethanol in the gas compounds this problem (I.E. harder to start, won't start on one pull, to running bad, to not running at all).

Also, for "summarization", change the oil (or drain the oil with a note there is no oil in this thing), pull the spark plug, put a teaspoon of oil in the hole and turn over a few times, put grease in the zircs, lube the cables.

This helps get your snowblower working for many decades, and keeping that start on the first pull where you don't need electric start.
Last edited by Kagord on Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wilked

Post by wilked »

Kagord wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:25 pm I'll just throw my 2 cents in, the most important thing to do, after the season is done, is to drain the gas tank, and more importantly, drain the carburetor bowl. Once gas gets old, with the temperature swings in summer, your carburetor will get gunked up and progressively worse, ethanol in the gas compounds this problem (I.E. harder to start, won't start on one pull, to running bad, to not running at all).

Also, for "summarization", change the oil (or drain the oil), pull the spark plug, put a teaspoon of oil in the hole and turn over a few times, put grease in the zircs, lube the cables.

This helps get your snowblower working for many decades, and keeping that start on the first pull where you don't need electric start.
I drain the tank and then run it dry. Been doing it for years, never had an issue
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

wilked wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:29 pm
Kagord wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:25 pm I'll just throw my 2 cents in, the most important thing to do, after the season is done, is to drain the gas tank, and more importantly, drain the carburetor bowl. Once gas gets old, with the temperature swings in summer, your carburetor will get gunked up and progressively worse, ethanol in the gas compounds this problem (I.E. harder to start, won't start on one pull, to running bad, to not running at all).

Also, for "summarization", change the oil (or drain the oil), pull the spark plug, put a teaspoon of oil in the hole and turn over a few times, put grease in the zircs, lube the cables.

I drain the tank and then run it dry. Been doing it for years, never had an issue
It's like a 1 minute task to unscrew the carb drain bolt with a cup underneath, and then screw it back in, you will find there is gas still in there. I think if you pull your bowl, you will find it has gunk in it with what you are doing (thinking all the gas is out by running out what's in the gas tank). Not saying it won't be problem free for years, but I'm talking decades.
wilked

Post by wilked »

Kagord wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:36 pm
wilked wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:29 pm

It's like a 1 minute task to unscrew the carb drain bolt with a cup underneath, and then screw it back in, you will find there is gas still in there. I think if you pull your bowl, you will find it has gunk in it with what you are doing (thinking all the gas is out by running out what's in the gas tank). Not saying it won't be problem free for years, but I'm talking decades.
good thought - will try it - thanks!
Voltaire2.0

Post by Voltaire2.0 »

I'll risk going tangential, but I had a different "appliance" (lawn tractor) with a different engine (Briggs) that failed in a very similar manner.

My tractor was several years old and had run fine but one year it started dying regularly, when hot, with all the symptoms of gas starvation. It always had gas and if I let it sit 15 minutes it would restart and run until it got hot again. I cleaned out the cap vent, ran with a loose cap, replaced all the gas lines and replaced the gas filter. No dice.

I then learned that the engine had a solenoid-activated valve on the gas line just in front of the carb. It was there to stop fuel flow into the carb when the engine wasn't running to avoid flooding and/or hydrolocking the cylinder. The problem was, those valves failed. The common failure mode was to fail into the open position, but the minority case failure was that engine heat would disrupt the electromagnet in the solenoid, causing the valve to trip to the closed position while running, thus killing the engine. I did a lot of searching on YouTube to discover the issue, and the solutions.

One solution is to replace the solenoid valve with a manual valve. Simple, but a little clunky. I instead found a replacement Briggs valve on Amazon and installed it in about 20 minutes.

No idea if your snowblower has such a valve or if that valve has such a problem, but YouTube may be your friend.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

dknightd wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:17 am
Sandtrap wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:20 am Good reason to get a new spiffy super cool latest model hemi powered super snow blower?

j🌺
I have not looked at new snow blowers. I have looked at new cars. I wonder if they both might be in limited supply
Just from a quick search it appears electrics at least are readily available.
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

After a bad storm like we had in northern Ohio this past Sunday night & Monday morning, there are virtually no decent 2 stage snowblowers remaining in stores here.
Topic Author
runner9

Post by runner9 »

I'm sure you're right. I"m just east of Cleveland but haven't been to a hardware store since. Just on the local FB group there's tons of requests from people wanted to hire a plow, a snowblower or a kid to do their driveway.

Last summer I stood with my son outside Lowes many hours while he sold Boy Scout Popcorn. A few people bought snow blowers in August/September (and needed help loading) We (customer, employees, me) joked we'd think of them when it snowed this winter. I did:)