Sunrun Solar House Panels- Anyone have them?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Capsu78

Sunrun Solar House Panels- Anyone have them?

Post by Capsu78 »

I'm being pitched to put Sunrun Solar Panels on my house. This is the company that you would likely see in Costco or HD.
Anyone been through the process and what is your level of satisfaction. What are my "unknowns"?
Background: I researched once before, but stopped when I determined it made no sense to install on a 20 YO roof. However, that has changed now as a "well timed" September weather event blew off some shingles and I was able to get my homeowners insurance to replace the roof as well as gutters.
So, new roof- Check!
The location of my south facing roof is better than good- it is ideal, both from a solar "performance" metric (no trees, wide horizon), but also from an "aesthetic" POV...We have a hillside lot where the roof can't even be seen from the street or ground.
Deal: Outright purchase, around $14 grand- minus a tax credit...roughly a 13 year ROI. Option 2- Monthly lease agreement, Sunrun owns panels, monitoring and maintence requirements. Back of napkin assessment says it should provide 85% of our needs. Delta between what we currently use and pay for is not "life changing" with new system, but I like that so long as I have self provided power stored up, I have a backup plan for the 3-4 outages we typically experience.
Any feedback welcome.
Topic Author
Capsu78

Re: Sunrun Solar House Panels- Anyone have them?

Post by Capsu78 »

OK...Please know this has been "asked and answered" so I want to close this discussion down before it potentially gets started.
My "Director of Standards and Practices" (DW) reviewed the 38 page "Third Party Owner" agreement provided by the potential vendor and submitted a "Queens No!" to my pitch.
Move along, nothing to see here!
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Capsu78 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:19 pm I'm being pitched to put Sunrun Solar Panels on my house. This is the company that you would likely see in Costco or HD.
Anyone been through the process and what is your level of satisfaction. What are my "unknowns"?
Background: I researched once before, but stopped when I determined it made no sense to install on a 20 YO roof. However, that has changed now as a "well timed" September weather event blew off some shingles and I was able to get my homeowners insurance to replace the roof as well as gutters.
So, new roof- Check!
The location of my south facing roof is better than good- it is ideal, both from a solar "performance" metric (no trees, wide horizon), but also from an "aesthetic" POV...We have a hillside lot where the roof can't even be seen from the street or ground.
Deal: Outright purchase, around $14 grand- minus a tax credit...roughly a 13 year ROI. Option 2- Monthly lease agreement, Sunrun owns panels, monitoring and maintence requirements. Back of napkin assessment says it should provide 85% of our needs. Delta between what we currently use and pay for is not "life changing" with new system, but I like that so long as I have self provided power stored up, I have a backup plan for the 3-4 outages we typically experience.
Any feedback welcome.
It requires special arrangements to operate "off grid" when the grid goes down I believe. Most systems seem to shut themselves off if there's no grid power. This is to protect the grid itself from backflows of power which could damage it and/or kill someone.

In addition one would need a battery pack? Fridges & other critical items need to run at night?

A small generator would seem to offer a reasonable emergency power solution - many many threads here. Small portable ones don't seem too bad to handle. If you are needing to run a sump pump or other high demand electrical item, then they may not suffice.

I just can't get my head around leasing. How one handles the sale of the house in that situation. What happens if the array fails, but you still have lease payments?

Your home equity is probably your biggest asset (at least until quite close to retirement for many). In that situation you really don't want to be risking encumbering that asset in any way (other than a mortgage, property taxes etc).

As long as you are not missing on opportunities to invest in tax sheltered accounts, I would just pay the $14k cash and own my system.
Topic Author
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Thanks for the reply! DW reviewed the agreements and gave me a Hard No based on a number of scenarios included in this case study.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2019 ... ar-panels/
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Capsu78 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:24 am Thanks for the reply! DW reviewed the agreements and gave me a Hard No based on a number of scenarios included in this case study.

No to a lease or no to panels?
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Topic Author
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:32 am
Capsu78 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:24 am Thanks for the reply! DW reviewed the agreements and gave me a Hard No based on a number of scenarios included in this case study.

No to a lease or no to panels?
No to both- ROI too long on purchase. "Third Party Ownership" for 20 years, as well as a lot of other "one sided" language in the leasing agreement.
Not enough WIIFM (What's in it for me?) in either transaction for my DW taste. She agrees with the author in the Bloomburg article.