Peloton broken - anyone have screen replacement?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
2Scoops

Peloton broken - anyone have screen replacement?

Post by 2Scoops »

I know there are quite a few peloton fans on this forum so thought I would ask the group about repairs.

Backstory: Our Gen 1 Peloton had been having intermittent issues. Sometimes we’ll go to use it and the screen won’t turn on. We checked the cord connections, did the troubleshooting steps online, etc with no real luck. Eventually, after trying over and over it will kick on and away we go. Yesterday, it died while DW was using it and hasn’t come back on despite dozens of attempts. We talked to Peloton support and they said it’s a screen issue and will likely need to be replaced.

Current Status: Peloton put us in the queue to have a repair guy come out for around $100. He doesn’t do repairs but tries to assess the situation. If he concludes it’s a screen issue then they’ll order it and come back out in a few weeks. THe screen cost is around $500 based on some internet research and Pelotons estimate. So, total outlay is around $600.

My options:

1) Follow thru with diagnosis and repair. $600 out the window for a Gen 1 bike. Is this the equivalent of spending a lot of money to fix a very old car? Is the worst still ahead of me?

2) Peloton has a trade in program assuming the bike works properly. That is worth $700 off the new purchase. So we can have it repaired, trade it in, and net $100 off the new bike. Whole process will likely take 6-8 weeks based on Peloton’s turnaround time estimate.

3) The $100 net above hardly seems worth the hassle. Just buy a new bike but select the trade in option with the hope that the screen magically turns back on when it arrives to Peloton for assessment.

4) Figure out aftermarket options. I’ve done some light googling and haven’t found a ton of support articles/videos but screens do exist on the auction sites. Not sure if they will work. A few horror stories out there of incompatibility, no returns if it doesn’t work, etc.

I basically don’t like any of my options but we use the bike quite frequently so need to figure this out. I’ve looked at less integrated bikes (cheaper) then adding a tablet. The issue is you lose the metrics like output, resistance, etc and that’s a must have for DW.

Open to similar experiences or thoughts. Cheers!
oktax

Re: Peloton broken - anyone have screen replacement?

Post by oktax »

I’m not familiar with the differences between a gen 1 bike and the current original bike being sold. We have a bike+ and like its additional features. So if it were me, I’d take the opportunity to see if you want to upgrade to the bike+ first. If you don’t want to upgrade, I’d track down differences between your gen 1 and the original bike being sold. If material, then id just buy a new bike and sell the old one. You could also see if Peloton would give you a discounted trade in credit for a functioning bike with screen issues.
dpm111

Post by dpm111 »

Our screen stopped working for a while last week also. When we tried to turn on the screen, there was just a white glow and sometimes we would receive a prompt saying something to the effect of being unable to connect with Peloton. Since the screen had the glow and sometimes gave us a prompt we knew the power was working fine. The internet symbol was also on so we knew it was connected to our wi-fi. Our bike is about a year and half old.

My wife contacted Peloton and after about a half hour or so of trying various things, Peloton told her that we were going to have to replace the screen. Since we were past warranty the cost was around $500-$600 for a replacement screen. We were also told that it would take about a month for a service person to come out.

Lucky for us the screen started working again a few hours later... We really enjoy the bike. Dealing with Peloton, not so much. Getting back to the OP, if it were me, I would just buy the new screen, rather than a new bike. I can't imagine anyone buying the bike from you if the screen is not working... Good luck
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

2Scoops wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:54 pm My options:

1) Follow thru with diagnosis and repair. $600 out the window for a Gen 1 bike. Is this the equivalent of spending a lot of money to fix a very old car? Is the worst still ahead of me?
Seems almost guaranteed to be the tablet. You might consider buying and installing one yourself. Here's a brand-new Gen 2 tablet for $225 on eBay. Unplug two cables (which you've already done), remove a trim panel and 4 screws, then reverse to reinstall.

However:
2Scoops wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:54 pm2) Peloton has a trade in program assuming the bike works properly. That is worth $700 off the new purchase. So we can have it repaired, trade it in, and net $100 off the new bike. Whole process will likely take 6-8 weeks based on Peloton’s turnaround time estimate.

3) The $100 net above hardly seems worth the hassle. Just buy a new bike but select the trade in option with the hope that the screen magically turns back on when it arrives to Peloton for assessment.
There appears to be an assumption here that I would absolutely confirm if you have not done so already. I would recommend calling back in, ask for a supervisor if necessary, lay out the current situation with your tablet, and ask how if at all that impacts the $700 trade-in value. It might not affect it at all, since even if your tablet was 100% perfect they'd still to have to replace it with a Gen 3 tablet anyway before they can resell it to someone else as refurbished.

If indeed you can get $700 trade-in for it with your wonky tablet, I'd absolutely go Bike+.
Topic Author
2Scoops

Post by 2Scoops »

Thanks for all of the responses. A few quick notes in reference to the replies:

- Peloton will not issue any credit for a bike that is not fully functioning. So, if it arrives and the screen doesn’t turn on then I will get $0 credit.

- If I did the repair route and then upgraded, Peloton said it has to be done using their parts and their repair partners. I can’t do it myself and get the credit.

- I’m not sure if you can upgrade a Gen 1 bike with new the newer generation screens. I’ll need to research that and see if there will be any connectivity or integration issues. Maybe they are compatible.

- Will need to see if there is a local market for Peloton bikes without a working screen. I know I wouldn’t buy one that way because it negates what Peloton is… but worth a look.
loghound

Post by loghound »

Annoying as it may be, I'd just get the screen update from Peloton (this, of course, assumes you are using it)

In my opinion the bike+ doesn't offer enough advantages to then upgrade again (and you can offset most of them. For instance I use a Heartbeatz monitor to use my apple watch and I installed an 3rd party swivel mount for my scree so I can rotate it)
I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time. | - Blaise Pascal
Topic Author
2Scoops

Post by 2Scoops »

loghound wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:45 pm Annoying as it may be, I'd just get the screen update from Peloton (this, of course, assumes you are using it)

In my opinion the bike+ doesn't offer enough advantages to then upgrade again (and you can offset most of them. For instance I use a Heartbeatz monitor to use my apple watch and I installed an 3rd party swivel mount for my scree so I can rotate it)
This is the route we will likely go unless another option presents itself. My only hesitation is the old car analogy. Is today’s screen issue the tip of the iceberg of future issues. If another $500 fix comes up next year then I’m really at a crossroads of what to do next.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

2Scoops wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:30 pm - I’m not sure if you can upgrade a Gen 1 bike with new the newer generation screens. I’ll need to research that and see if there will be any connectivity or integration issues. Maybe they are compatible.
You absolutely can, there are literally hundreds of people on the peloton cycle subreddit that have done it--most by purchasing it from Peloton at a reduced price when they started eliminating functionality for the Gen 1 tablet, but a fair number bought them on the open market and swapped.

If you do go through with the $600 repair, they will be giving you a Gen 3 tablet as well.
Topic Author
2Scoops

Post by 2Scoops »

lazydavid wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:06 pm
2Scoops wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:30 pm - I’m not sure if you can upgrade a Gen 1 bike with new the newer generation screens. I’ll need to research that and see if there will be any connectivity or integration issues. Maybe they are compatible.
You absolutely can, there are literally hundreds of people on the peloton cycle subreddit that have done it--most by purchasing it from Peloton at a reduced price when they started eliminating functionality for the Gen 1 tablet, but a fair number bought them on the open market and swapped.

If you do go through with the $600 repair, they will be giving you a Gen 3 tablet as well.
Thank you for the clarification on this. I'm going to spend some time on those subreddit forums today to see where I can source a new monitor and what the expense is relative to having Peloton do it.
loghound

Post by loghound »

2Scoops wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:10 pm
loghound wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:45 pm Annoying as it may be, I'd just get the screen update from Peloton (this, of course, assumes you are using it)

This is the route we will likely go unless another option presents itself. My only hesitation is the old car analogy. Is today’s screen issue the tip of the iceberg of future issues. If another $500 fix comes up next year then I’m really at a crossroads of what to do next.
I 100% feel you, if the trade in incentive was bigger I would be tempted but at $100 I'd be thinking "Well, as long as I get another year or so of work" then I'm ahead (assuming in a year they have either lowered prices *or* have a new version with cool new features.

I assume the repair is warrantied for some length of time (90 days? 1 year?)
I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time. | - Blaise Pascal
marc in merrimack

Post by marc in merrimack »

Regardless of the built-in screen condition, I’d like to know whether the Peloton video and audio content can be easily ported to a separate television?
BH13

Post by BH13 »

marc in merrimack wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:55 pm Regardless of the built-in screen condition, I’d like to know whether the Peloton video and audio content can be easily ported to a separate television?
Not sure how that would be possible from a broken bike, but you can always use the Peloton app to view the workouts on a television. We use the Apple TV app for the strength workouts in front of a TV.
marc in merrimack

BH13 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:21 pm
marc in merrimack wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:55 pm Regardless of the built-in screen condition, I’d like to know whether the Peloton video and audio content can be easily ported to a separate television?
Not sure how that would be possible from a broken bike, but you can always use the Peloton app to view the workouts on a television. We use the Apple TV app for the strength workouts in front of a TV.
Thanks. I was just wondering whether there is any issue involved in the viewing and listening to the workouts on a separate TV rather than the Peloton screen. It appears not. Thanks again.
onourway

Post by onourway »

marc in merrimack wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:21 pm
Thanks. I was just wondering whether there is any issue involved in the viewing and listening to the workouts on a separate TV rather than the Peloton screen. It appears not. Thanks again.
When using the app you get none of the metrics and don’t compete in the leaderboards, etc. On the Bike+ I believe it also automatically adjusts resistance for you. My wife used the app for years; it’s certainly cheaper, but it’s not the same experience.
marc in merrimack

onourway wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:06 pm
marc in merrimack wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:21 pm
When using the app you get none of the metrics and don’t compete in the leaderboards, etc. On the Bike+ I believe it also automatically adjusts resistance for you. My wife used the app for years; it’s certainly cheaper, but it’s not the same experience.
Hmmm, instead of looking at the Peloton-mounted screen itself while exercising, I had in mind being able to ‘cast’ or cable the Peloton video and audio to a large screen TV positioned in the front of my exercise room. You’re saying that’s not possible without diminishing the whole experience in some way?
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

marc in merrimack wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:01 pm Hmmm, instead of looking at the Peloton-mounted screen itself while exercising, I had in mind being able to ‘cast’ or cable the Peloton video and audio to a large screen TV positioned in the front of my exercise room. You’re saying that’s not possible without diminishing the whole experience in some way?
It absolutely is, with the 2nd and 3rd Gen tablets on the original bike, or with the Bike+. Unfortunately casting from the 1st Gen tablet is not possible.
gerntz

Post by gerntz »

It's these kinds of issues that make me want & use a simple bike & watch TV with it. And that's what I've done for years & years.
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

I would take advantage of the trade-in program to upgrade to the bike plus. You can’t be sure that after so many rides something else won’t go wrong - a multi-equipment tech told me that Peloton owners tend to work out so hard and sweat so much that the bike bolts can rust onto the bike.

Also, the auto-follow resistance is a HUGE feature upgrade.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

gerntz wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:17 am It's these kinds of issues that make me want & use a simple bike & watch TV with it. And that's what I've done for years & years.
Awesome, glad that works for you.

I had an AirDyne Professional for about 6 years. Used it twice, sold it for a huge loss. Likely any other simple spin bike would have suffered the same fate in my house. Despite my challenges in the 2nd half of 2021, I've done nearly 1,100 rides on my Peloton (and taken 1,000 non-cycling classes), which I've had for half the time I had the AirDyne.

As has been noted many times: The best exercise equipment is what you will actually use. Everyone's situation and motivations are different. Sounds like a Peloton is not be a necessity for you. It is for me.
marc in merrimack

lazydavid wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:29 pm
marc in merrimack wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:01 pm Hmmm, instead of looking at the Peloton-mounted screen itself while exercising, I had in mind being able to ‘cast’ or cable the Peloton video and audio to a large screen TV positioned in the front of my exercise room. You’re saying that’s not possible without diminishing the whole experience in some way?
It absolutely is, with the 2nd and 3rd Gen tablets on the original bike, or with the Bike+. Unfortunately casting from the 1st Gen tablet is not possible.
Ok, thanks for confirming. I was confused after seeing the other reply above.