Golf Membership - What do you pay?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bg5

Golf Membership - What do you pay?

Post by bg5 »

Curious if we have any bogleheads who are avid golfers like myself on here. As I get older I want to play some of the nicer courses in my area but have finally decided that I probably need to get a membership because I like to golf alot. I also have a wife and 3 kids so family memberships offer a great opportunity to get a lot of "bang for buck" assuming we use it alot this summer.

Currently I have an opportunity to pay $2700 for a family membership to a top 50 public golf course in my state. This includes all my cart fees and free range as well and there are no extra food or bev minimums. The course is 10 minutes from my house so that is a huge plus as well.

Seems like a solid deal as its one of the best courses in the state and they have GPS on carts etc.

Does this seem like a reasonable rate compared to golf courses in your area?

Golf is my biggest hobby so I feel that $2700 is reasonable especially because we will be able to do it as a family from time to time in the summer and taking the whole family golfing is pretty pricey these days
TheTimeLord

Re: Golf Membership - What do you pay?

Post by TheTimeLord »

bg5 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:00 am Curious if we have any bogleheads who are avid golfers like myself on here. As I get older I want to play some of the nicer courses in my area but have finally decided that I probably need to get a membership because I like to golf alot. I also have a wife and 3 kids so family memberships offer a great opportunity to get a lot of "bang for buck" assuming we use it alot this summer.

Currently I have an opportunity to pay $2700 for a family membership to a top 50 public golf course in my state. This includes all my cart fees and free range as well and there are no extra food or bev minimums. The course is 10 minutes from my house so that is a huge plus as well.

Seems like a solid deal as its one of the best courses in the state and they have GPS on carts etc.

Golf is my biggest hobby so I feel that $2700 is reasonable especially because we will be able to do it as a family from time to time in the summer and taking the whole family golfing is pretty pricey these days
Sounds like a tremendous deal, epecially if you can get the tee times you want. The only question I have is how long is the season where you live. But even if you live in a state with a shorter season it is a deal that I would be interested in if I enjoyed the layout. Don't undervalue the range membership, not a bad way to spend a hour or two if you don;'t have the time or players for a round.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Topic Author
bg5

Post by bg5 »

I live in Michigan so we usually golf from March to November and my wife and I have almost the entire summer off so that give us plenty of time to get outside and enjoy life

The fact that it is 11 minutes away from my house is a biggie and my kids are now ages 13 and 10. Although they dont want to go often they usually ask to golf 5 -10 times a year and when we go out that costs me around$150 per trip so that in itself is alot of money.
FLPhil

Post by FLPhil »

bg5 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:00 am Curious if we have any bogleheads who are avid golfers like myself on here. As I get older I want to play some of the nicer courses in my area but have finally decided that I probably need to get a membership because I like to golf alot. I also have a wife and 3 kids so family memberships offer a great opportunity to get a lot of "bang for buck" assuming we use it alot this summer.

That sounds like a really good deal. I too belong to a club that is 10 minutes from my home and the convenience is worth the price. A couple of items to inquire about, is the club private or semi-private? How large is the membership? These can determine how easy/difficult it will be to play at your desired time and the condition of the course. If there is no initiation fee you can always join for one season and see how things workout with very little downside.
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

I recently paid $180 for a two year membership at a local public course. Deal of the century.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
Golf maniac

Post by Golf maniac »

That is definitely a good deal if you and family consistently use it. Typically members get ab tee times before the public so that is something to make sure. Also, joining Mens, Womens, and couples leagues can make it a lot of fun. I would do it if it was available to me.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

Sounds great. Make sure tee times are readily available. The pandemic has caused a surge in play and tee times at many courses are hard to come by. We had a case in Charlotte where a prominent athlete joined a popular private club and had difficulty getting tee times. He sued to get his money back.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

carolinaman wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:51 am Sounds great. Make sure tee times are readily available. The pandemic has caused a surge in play and tee times at many courses are hard to come by. We had a case in Charlotte where a prominent athlete joined a popular private club and had difficulty getting tee times. He sued to get his money back.
Yeah, it seems like a lot of private clubs took advantage and sold memberships in excess of what they normally would. The temporary adoption of the health club model.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Topic Author
bg5

Post by bg5 »

Brianmcg321 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:19 am I recently paid $180 for a two year membership at a local public course. Deal of the century.
Wow....amazing deal....good for you :)
Svensk Anga

Post by Svensk Anga »

Our club in Michigan is about $1100/year for a couple, cart included. You have to be a stockholder to get this rate, but a share is several hundred bucks. Course is pretty well maintained but an uninspired layout and poor practice facilities.

Our club in Florida is about twice that and charges a pretty steep per-round cart fee to boot. This is a much nicer and more challenging course with a very nice practice facility.
nguy44

Post by nguy44 »

I have a membership at a course about 20 minutes from me. Small clubhouse, no driving range and an okay putting green, but they do put a lot of work into maintaining the course.

I pay $700/year for a walking membership at a public course. If I choose to use cart for a round, I pay $6. I have played enough so that it knocks the round cost to under $10/round. I might renew in mid-year for the 2 year rate, for $1100.

Given the amenities you describe, I think it is fine, particularly if you can afford it. Try it for a year, if it does not work out at least you will have gained the experience.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

I have an annual membership to a "semi-private" course. About $5,000 per year for year-round unlimited golf, no time/day restrictions, walk or ride anytime with no extra charge, unlimited range balls, locker and bag storage. No other amenities besides golf, no F&B minimums. Due to the facts that it has less than 150 members, most of them like to play later in the day than I do, and members get to make tee times before they are released to the general public, I have no problem ever getting my preferred times.

The absolute cheapest "annual pass" to the worst possible goat ranch public golf course anywhere within 60 miles of me is about $2,500 per year.

Most of lower-tier private clubs in my area are corporate-owned, have way too many members since COVID (for members of those clubs, it's now actually easier to get a tee time at a public course than your own club), and are $7,000-$10,000 per year with ~$5,000-$10,000 initiation fees. The true member-owned private clubs are $10,000-$15,000+ per year with initiation fees starting at around $30,000 and going well into the six figures.
Last edited by tim1999 on Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

My inlaws have a membership at a country club, and they've tried to rope us in. You're looking at $5000 initiation, commitment to spend something like $2500 in food per year, and the recurring full membership was in the $2500 ballpark.

However, there are a few courses around me that offer family memberships in the $400-$3000 range.

It really comes down to how nice the course is, how exclusive, and what their fees are. If you can go there ala carte for $50 w/ cart, it doesn't feel like a terrible deal or a particularly good one. Are you going to play 50-60 rounds?

The one thing with my inlaws is that they never want to play anywhere but the country club. I'm a pretty awful golfer and don't do enough to make it worthwhile, but I would be bored. I like seeing new places and not feel like I have to golf every weekend to avoid losing money.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Is $2700 a yearly fee? Is there an initiation fee? Lockers and bag storage included?
DXG1987

Post by DXG1987 »

This thread is tough for me to read... I miss affordable and fast golf.

I am from a reasonably LCOL area where public courses were plentiful and 18 with a cart was regularly under $50.

I relocated to the DC suburbs a few years back and can't stomach $100+ for a 5+ hour round on a weekend.

As a result, I have gone from golfing probably 27 holes a week to a half-dozen rounds per year. I do very much look forward to taking a random Tuesday or Wednesday off and walking-on a couple of times a year.
J295

Post by J295 »

Pete Dye course

5500 dues
300 range
150 misc fee
600 trail fee (we live on course and have our own cart)

So that base total is $6550.

Food minimum is $250 every six months.
If you want to take a cart when you play and don’t have your own cart then you pay for each outing.
misterjohnny

Post by misterjohnny »

All these replies make me sad. I live in Los Angeles County and there are no reasonably priced private clubs. A couple suburbs have a city owned course that you can be a member of, but I don't live in those cities. The only golf course in my city of 150,000 residents is a 9 hole where the average length is about 80 yards.
Topic Author
bg5

Post by bg5 »

Cruise wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:31 pm

Is $2700 a yearly fee? Is there an initiation fee? Lockers and bag storage included?
The $2700 in the yearly fee and that includes all family members, range and practice facilities which are quite nice. Cart is also included in that price and the carts are top of the line with GPS and probably the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in. Locker and bag storage are not included in that price.

I am in Michigan and we have world class golf in this state and this particular course is a top 50 public in the state and probably in the top 35 to be honest. Great value so I am pretty sure I am leaning that way.

I added up my rounds last year and I spent about $2000 anyway golfing on my own. The fact that I can bring my entire family makes it a no brainer. I usually like to hop around and play different courses but I think I am gonna give this a shot considering my family will also get to use it with me. Easier sell to my wife :)