Online Yoga Classes

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
coalcracker

Online Yoga Classes

Post by coalcracker »

I've been subscribed to "Beach Body" for a few years and really enjoy the variety of workouts and ability to do it from home. However, I've tried a good bit of their yoga selections and find them lacking. The instructors are not very engaging and there doesn't seem to be a coherent structure.

I've also tried Yoga with Adriene on YouTube. I love her personality, but most of the workouts I've tried are a little too gentle for me. I'd categorize my yoga skills as just above a beginner (I actually know what some of the "yoga" terms mean!), but I want to gradually push myself with longer workouts and more challenging poses. Ideally I'd love to find a local yoga instructor, but even before covid it was challenging to find classes that fit my schedule with work and two young kids. So online it is.

Any suggestions?
JoMoney

Re: Online Yoga Classes

Post by JoMoney »

If you're not necessarily tied to the traditional Yoga vibe, I've heard good things about "DDP Yoga", haven't done it myself, but it's on my list of programs I'm looking at...
https://ddpyoga.com/
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Kleina

Post by Kleina »

I use down dog 4 days per week, and I really love it. You can vary the routine's difficulty from 1st/2nd level beginner to advanced based on your experience. You also can vary time from 10 to longer, I believe up to 60 minutes. There is a general routine that loads with variations each time, but you can add a "leg boost" or "flexibility boost" if you like.

I believe it is free for the basic app and you can pay for the yearly subscription about $20 for the additional features.
Topic Author
coalcracker

Post by coalcracker »

JoMoney wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:18 am If you're not necessarily tied to the traditional Yoga vibe, I've heard good things about "DDP Yoga", haven't done it myself, but it's on my list of programs I'm looking at...
https://ddpyoga.com/
I not a pro wrestling fan but I saw DDP interviewed once and it is an inspiring story. I may have to check it out.
Topic Author
coalcracker

Post by coalcracker »

Kleina wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:24 am I use down dog 4 days per week, and I really love it. You can vary the routine's difficulty from 1st/2nd level beginner to advanced based on your experience. You also can vary time from 10 to longer, I believe up to 60 minutes. There is a general routine that loads with variations each time, but you can add a "leg boost" or "flexibility boost" if you like.

I believe it is free for the basic app and you can pay for the yearly subscription about $20 for the additional features.
Thanks this sounds promising!
BHwannaB

Post by BHwannaB »

Another vote for Downdog but also use Yoga Studio.

YS is a bit more expensive but allows you to build routines and save them. https://yogastudioapp.com/
Be forewarned though, after several updates to this app, it did blow away my custom routines. Not a big deal to rebuild but was disappointed.
furwut

Post by furwut »

I’ve followed Yoga with Adriene for years and agree with you her workouts are best for beginners. She does have a paid membership level called FWFG (Find What Feels Good) which I’ve never tried but may offer more advance sessions.

Currently I’m using Apple’s Fitness+ (may require Apple Watch?) My sense is that each instructor offers a different level so you can pick the one that best fits you. After years with just YwA the yoga here seems fresher.

One thing I find missing with Apple Fitness+ is the yoga is more “workout” and lacks the spiritual feeling I got from YwA.
Last edited by furwut on Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
PaddyMac

Post by PaddyMac »

You do need an Apple Watch for Apple Fitness+. On the other hand, it offers way more than just yoga. It's very customizable as to instructor, type of workout, and time, and because they have new classes weekly, it has more of a timely feel to it (like the recent workout that mentioned the "New Year"). I like it, but I'm not focused just on yoga.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

For free yoga-qigong fusion that you can fit into a workday between zoom meetings, try Yoqi by Marisa Cranfill on YouTube or yoqi.com. Or Maya Fiennes, Yoga for Real Life on Instagram, also free.
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
YoungSisyphus

Post by YoungSisyphus »

I was a big fan of YogaGlo because of the amount of variety you could find. Dice Iida-Klein had more active workouts that were fun.
freckles01

Post by freckles01 »

coalcracker wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:14 am I've been subscribed to "Beach Body" for a few years and really enjoy the variety of workouts and ability to do it from home. However, I've tried a good bit of their yoga selections and find them lacking. The instructors are not very engaging and there doesn't seem to be a coherent structure.

I've also tried Yoga with Adriene on YouTube. I love her personality, but most of the workouts I've tried are a little too gentle for me. I'd categorize my yoga skills as just above a beginner (I actually know what some of the "yoga" terms mean!), but I want to gradually push myself with longer workouts and more challenging poses. Ideally I'd love to find a local yoga instructor, but even before covid it was challenging to find classes that fit my schedule with work and two young kids. So online it is.

Any suggestions?
OP, I've been doing yoga at home for the last few years following various Youtube Yoga instructors. I like Vinyasa flows and Ashtanga/Power yoga. These instructors have different personalities, tone, pace and intensity. They all offer different levels of intensity/time length/focus classes to choose from. I choose depending upon my energy level, if I am looking to focus on a particular area- ie shoulder/hip opening and time length- I like something between 45-60 minutes.

Not in any particular order but I really enjoy taking classes from all these instructors-

Two Birds Yoga- Slow burn, lovely classes
Yoginimelbourne- Has challenging classes, fluid.
5 Parks Yoga- She has stopped posting new videos but has a large variety posted
Floating Yoga School- Fun and light
Travis Eliot- Lots of different classes, talks a lot, generally intense classes
Heart Alchemy Yoga- Very good variety, can go on tangents which leads to longer holds on one side sometimes but really enjoy the sequencing of poses
mkc

Post by mkc »

furwut wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:46 am I’ve followed Yoga with Adriene for years and agree with you her workouts are best for beginners. She does have a paid membership level called FWFG (Find What Feels Good) which I’ve never tried but may offer more advance sessions.

Currently I’m using Apple’s Fitness+ (may require Apple Watch?) My sense is that each instructor offers a different level so you can pick the one that best fits you. After years with just YwA the yoga here seems fresher.

One thing I find missing with Apple Fitness+ is the yoga is more “workout” and lacks the spiritual feeling I got from YwA.
Valuable feedback.

I'm following this topic for suggestions. We actually prefer more "workout" and less "spiritual feeling". It definitely depends on what your are looking for in a program.
ginrummy

Post by ginrummy »

I use YogaToday.com. All the instructors are really good. My favs are Adi Amar and Neesha Zollinger. Fantastic yogis. Lots of excellent teachers on the site.
novice111

Post by novice111 »

Art of Living Yoga Studio.

Hands down winner. Powerful, Authentic.

live zoom classes throughout the day
Annual membership $480 , $39.99/month or 5 class pass for $65

https://yoga.us.artofliving.org/us-en/yoga-studio/
waterwell

Post by waterwell »

Peloton has yoga and meditation classes.
Greentree

Post by Greentree »

I have the same issue and am following this thread.

A few ideas:
- search for power yoga on YouTube
- Bryan Kest did a series of 3 yoga classes you can find on YouTube (power 1, 2 and 3). They are amazing. I sometimes do the first 30 minutes if I don’t have time for the full version. I also liked his subscription service.
- boho beautiful is a little on the selling her looks side and cheesy but the classes are more intense than Adrienne
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

I like gaia.com. I think the subscription is about $10 a month.

Every style I've ever heard of, numerous teachers, all levels.
Carol88888

Post by Carol88888 »

I have a Bikram CD. It only cost about 20.00 I think. But it might be a good idea to buy the book with photos if you are new to Bikram.

It's my cheaper alternative to online classes.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Carol88888 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:25 am I have a Bikram CD. It only cost about 20.00 I think. But it might be a good idea to buy the book with photos if you are new to Bikram.

I have a killer yoga CD too that is literally my Valium. It’s called Kundalini Yoga to Detox and De-Stress with Maya Fiennes. Works every time; great for adrenals, thyroid and pituitary, among other things. Very inexpensive on Amazon. Dials down the stress immediately like no other CD I’ve ever tried. And the effect lasts up to two days. Most of the exercises are done seated so it’s great for those of us who don’t want something super strenuous but still want a good workout.
Carol88888

Post by Carol88888 »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:27 am
Carol88888 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:25 am I have a Bikram CD. It only cost about 20.00 I think. But it might be a good idea to buy the book with photos if you are new to Bikram.

I have a killer yoga CD too that is literally my Valium. It’s called Kundalini Yoga to Detox and De-Stress with Maya Fiennes. Works every time; great for adrenals, thyroid and pituitary, among other things. Very inexpensive on Amazon. Dials down the stress immediately like no other CD I’ve ever tried. And the effect lasts up to two days. Most of the exercises are done seated so it’s great for those of us who don’t want something super strenuous but still want a good workout.
Sounds wonderful. I am going to order it now.
quattro73

Post by quattro73 »

Middle aged male here.

I do DDPyoga and think it is great. Highly recommend.

It combines yoga postures and flows with calisthenics and isometric tension. It also demystifies yoga with renamed poses and no “philosophy” stuff. Focuses on the workout. The workouts progress from easy to harder and at an appropriate pace as well. Has really helped my bad knees and hips that have been worn out from years of martial arts in my younger days.

I would also strongly recommend Sean Vigue. Has a ton of free yoga and Pilates based workouts on YouTube. Targets Yoga for men and Yoga for athletes.