Pillow for toddler/young child (organic, GOTS, certi-PUR, etc.)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
CorradoJr

Pillow for toddler/young child (organic, GOTS, certi-PUR, etc.)

Post by CorradoJr »

Does anyone have a recommendations on pillow (standard size) for a toddler? My 4 year old is moving into a "big" bed and we had a few criteria for the new mattress/sheeting; organic construction, low VOCs (Certi-PUR foams), no chemical flame retardants, etc.

We ended up with a Saatva youth mattress for him, which meets these requirements as well as being made in the USA, a nice bonus, and a semi-affordable price point.

For bedding, we've chosen organic cotton sheets and furniture that is Greenguard/Greenguard Gold.

We can't seem to locate pillows that are "organic" that don't cost hundreds of dollars. My thought is the pillow is very important, as head/airways will always be resting on the pillow. There are lots of pillows out there that are more geared for comfort (back support, side support, shredded latex, memory foam, down alternative, etc.) But I can't seem to find a "reasonably-priced" pillow that is "organic." Saatva has pillows that are either 100% latex or organic but the price point is fairly high (165+. That seems expensive for a kid's pillow, at least to me.)

Does anyone have any good pillow sources that fit the bill?
mhc

Re: Pillow for toddler/young child (organic, GOTS, certi-PUR, etc.)

Post by mhc »

I purchased a 100% bamboo pillow on Amazon a few years back. I have been really pleased with it. I'm sure I paid less than $50 for it. The bamboo fibers for the filling can be a little squeaky at times, but it is the best pillow I have ever used. You can add or remove filling to create the right fit for you. The company actually sent me a second pillow for free because I needed more filling. I believe it is an Xtreme Comfort pillow. I don't know if it meets all your specs, but it might.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

Is it feasible to make such a pillow? Might be able to buy the materials separately and sew it all together. I recall making a pillow in middle school home-ec and it was a fun project. Still have the pillow.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

Avocado Green?
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
Topic Author
CorradoJr

Post by CorradoJr »

Thanks for the replies so far, Avocado Green was one I was seriously looking at.

I was at my local Target today and picked up a pillow called Kindlier. It's 100% Organic Cotton, STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX and assembled in the USA (from foreign parts).

For $13, I thought I'd give it a try, it meets some but not all of my criteria and the price is certainly nice.