Southern California - Where's the best place to buy furniture?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
PWB

Southern California - Where's the best place to buy furniture?

Post by PWB »

I'm looking to buy some "forever" furniture. I don't need brand names nor the latest fashion - just something comfortable, durable, and dog-friendly. I'm not looking to skimp, but at the same time I want to save as much as possible. I don't need to buy immediately and I'm thinking a budget of $10,000 for everything should be more than enough? Everything below at my estimated prices sums to $5800.

These are my current estimates:

1. Bed frames - $500 each? Would be great to have storage space underneath. ($1,000)
2. Night stands - $150 each? ($300)
3. Computer desks with drawers - $500 each? ($1,000)
4. Couch - $1500?
5. Dining Table + chairs - would love an expandable/collapsible table - $1000 to $2000? ($2,000)

What physical/online stores offer the best bargains/value in Southern California?
quietseas

Re: Southern California - Where's the best place to buy furniture?

Post by quietseas »

Room and Board and Arhaus have been a good compromise for us.

For leather sofas we've had good luck with Arizona Leather.

Some people like Costco (not my style generally)

In your proposed price ranges you might find something at IKEA. Some of their furniture is more solid and will last a longer time if not abused.

I don't know whether what you see will be in your proposed price range.

If you have young kids I don't think there is such a thing as "buy it forever". If you are gentle with your wood furniture most of it will last a long time. I would not expect a $1500 sofa to last very long unless you weigh 110 pounds.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

We furnished our place mostly from Ashley's and Jerome's. However, our costs were about what you are listing 5 years ago. Of course, our couch is HUGE, we can both sleep on it without touching.

Don't suppose you want a huge couch in a few months when we will be moving out?

I got our desks and night stands at Big Lots. Only the desk shows signs of wear after 3+ years.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Room and Board is not cheap but the quality is good, it's mostly American-made.
quietseas

Post by quietseas »

sailaway wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:45 pm We furnished our place mostly from Ashley's and Jerome's.
I've never found what I consider "forever" furniture at either store, but they do have furniture that I'd put into a house with young kids and some that will be fine if it is well taken care of.

Another store is Scandinavian Designs if that is OP's style. They will have some pieces closer to OP's desired price range and should be much less than "Design Within Reach".
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

Room & Board
Design Within Reach
Ligne Roset
Roche Bobois
Last edited by Bogle7 on Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old fart who does three index funds, baby.
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

I think room and board is above your stated price range preference. Maybe west elm, CB2, or potentially wayfair?
35% NTSX, 25% AVUV, 15% NTSI, 15% AVDV, 10% VWO
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

quietseas wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:41 pm Room and Board and Arhaus have been a good compromise for us.

For leather sofas we've had good luck with Arizona Leather.

Some people like Costco (not my style generally)

In your proposed price ranges you might find something at IKEA. Some of their furniture is more solid and will last a longer time if not abused.

I don't know whether what you see will be in your proposed price range.

If you have young kids I don't think there is such a thing as "buy it forever". If you are gentle with your wood furniture most of it will last a long time. I would not expect a $1500 sofa to last very long unless you weigh 110 pounds.
Costco just started carrying more modern leather couches. I ordered a sectional last year. It's very nice.
Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster »

PWB wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:31 pm I'm looking to buy some "forever" furniture. I don't need brand names nor the latest fashion - just something comfortable, durable, and dog-friendly. I'm not looking to skimp, but at the same time I want to save as much as possible. I don't need to buy immediately and I'm thinking a budget of $10,000 for everything should be more than enough? Everything below at my estimated prices sums to $5800.

1. Bed frames - $500 each? Would be great to have storage space underneath. ($1,000)
4. Couch - $1500?
5. Dining Table + chairs - would love an expandable/collapsible table - $1000 to $2000? ($2,000)

What physical/online stores offer the best bargains/value in Southern California?
Just my advice but if you want real good quality triple your budget. I don’t think a $1500 couch is going to be a “forever” piece. You can find a nice one but no the top quality you say you’re looking for.
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

I know that it is not a popular opinion, but “brown furniture” of excellent quality from the best makers can be purchased for very little at tag/estate sales.

It is not popular now, but tastes run in cycles—throw out Persian rugs and put in w-to-w carpet, put a Spanish facade on MCM homes, live “where you can walk to all the bars and clubs”….how are you doing with that now?

I would buy real wood with real joinery that you can refinish as you wish.

Forget the MDF crapolla at the big box stores.
celia

Post by celia »

The ports in Southern Cal are still backlogged. We ordered a piece of furniture from south-east Asia a year ago that hasn't come in yet. So if you want it soon, buy what you find that is in stock.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

I would buy it all on Craigslist for 30-50% of retail. Use it for years and sell for about what you paid. Free furniture.
Dougiefresh

Post by Dougiefresh »

Facebook Marketplace as well. You can get great deals on used furniture.
SuzBanyan

Post by SuzBanyan »

phxjcc wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:53 am I know that it is not a popular opinion, but “brown furniture” of excellent quality from the best makers can be purchased for very little at tag/estate sales.

It is not popular now, but tastes run in cycles—throw out Persian rugs and put in w-to-w carpet, put a Spanish facade on MCM homes, live “where you can walk to all the bars and clubs”….how are you doing with that now?

I would buy real wood with real joinery that you can refinish as you wish.

Forget the MDF crapolla at the big box stores.
My 92 year old Dad still has the dining table, including the extensions, that belonged to his parents. Yes, it’s “brown furniture” although it is currently a light finish because refinishing is something you can do with wood.
Topic Author
PWB

Post by PWB »

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Ashley and Jerome furniture look to be fine choices - thanks for that tip! I'll also check out Costco.

Room & Board has great stuff - their prices seem very high, though. I'd have to see if it's "worth it" to me before I can pull the trigger.

Tripling the furniture budget does not seem necessary. A $30k budget for simple pieces seems quite inordinate.

Are there any great places to shop online? I'm guessing overstock, wayfair, and amazon?
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

PWB wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:48 am Thanks everyone for the replies!

Ashley and Jerome furniture look to be fine choices - thanks for that tip! I'll also check out Costco.

Room & Board has great stuff - their prices seem very high, though. I'd have to see if it's "worth it" to me before I can pull the trigger.

Tripling the furniture budget does not seem necessary. A $30k budget for simple pieces seems quite inordinate.

Are there any great places to shop online? I'm guessing overstock, wayfair, and amazon?
West elm, CB2 are also online
35% NTSX, 25% AVUV, 15% NTSI, 15% AVDV, 10% VWO
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I think I’m getting hung up on what “forever” furniture is. In my mind, it’s the kind of furniture I’ll have for decades, possibly handing it down to my kids. One of the basic tenets of forever furniture is that it can be repaired, refinished, and reupholstered as needed. Furniture gets wear, and if you can’t repair it, it’s basically disposable.

We paid $2300 last summer, in Southern California, just to reupholster our existing couch. I would expect a good couch to cost at least that much. For $1500, I’d be happy if the couch lasted until the kids were in middle school.

We had to buy a bed frame in 2017. It was $900. It was nice, made in Malaysia, but nothing special. It was an adult piece of furniture that looks nice in our house, but nothing we’ll be handing down to our kids.

I paid $450 for a computer desk from IKEA 20 years ago. It’s sturdy and I’m still using it, but it doesn’t look that great anymore, and it wasn’t built in a way that it can be sanded down and refinished.

If you really want the kind of furniture that will still look good when you retire, you’ll need to increase the budget. That said, you don’t need to buy a whole houseful at once. We initially furnished our house with hand me downs and alley finds, supplemented with a few pieces from IKEA, and since then have gradually upgraded, a piece or two per year, as we needed it, or as we found something we really liked.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
5th_Dimension

Post by 5th_Dimension »

You should also check out Mathis Brothers Furniture.
Pick up a penny and soon you'll have many.
freckles01

Post by freckles01 »

PWB wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:31 pm I'm looking to buy some "forever" furniture. I don't need brand names nor the latest fashion - just something comfortable, durable, and dog-friendly. I'm not looking to skimp, but at the same time I want to save as much as possible. I don't need to buy immediately and I'm thinking a budget of $10,000 for everything should be more than enough? Everything below at my estimated prices sums to $5800.

4. Couch - $1500?

OP, I live in Southern California. Your best option for buying "Forever" furniture while saving as much as possible is via estate/garage/facebook/craigslist etc sales.

Otherwise, "forever" furniture brand new will cost a lot more than 10K unless maybe you find a beginner furniture worker or learn to make some of your own?

How many rooms are you furnishing? How large is your space? Traditional? Modern? Eclectic? Minimalist? Maximalist?

You don't have to buy everything all at once. Use your current furniture while searching for quality replacements. Figure out what your furniture style is and go from there. And "forever" furniture doesn't have to be kept forever, your taste/style may change.

My few high quality furniture pieces, made in Italy, Denmark etc were purchased vintage and/or second hand. My small couch retailed nearly 10K new but was bought for a tiny fraction of that. Intermixed is Ikea and simple self made stuff.
pomomojo

Post by pomomojo »

How big is the dog? And do you have children?

Before you decide to buy "forever" furniture, you should focus on a specific aesthetic. "Classic" Southern California housing stock includes a fair number of 50s-style ranches, Art & Crafts (e.g. Pasadena), and Spanish style homes. I would pick a theme and gradually acquire pieces that work together. If you want to buy solid wood furniture, your budget is limited, even for second-hand items. I would encourage setting aside a budget for matching lighting--builder lights in a finished home can cheapen an otherwise tasteful room.
Topic Author
PWB

Post by PWB »

Thanks again for all the replies! Very helpful! To answer some of the questions:

-What I had meant by forever furniture is simply furniture that can last 30+ years without losing functionality/becoming too decrepit

-Dog is ~50lbs; no children

-Definitely craigslist/facebook/estate sales crossed my mind - I'm terrified of accidentally bringing in pests into the home and will need to buy all the furniture at once, and thus can't spend too long waiting for the right piece/right price to come along. Perhaps after the initial purchase, I can upgrade over time. If I go this route, I'd probably just get Ikea or something to bide some time.

-I'm not sure if this is a style, but I'm trying to go for a modern/minimalistic look. I'm not well-versed in this verbiage though.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Do you already have a house? What style is it?

On your list, the only thing I wouldn’t buy used is the couch (mattresses too, of course). The hard furniture is fine to buy used, and there are deals to be had, especially if you are willing to do some sanding and refinishing.
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

I like LaZ-Boy Furniture Galleries. I haven't been there since before Covid, but I have bought sofas, recliners, and night stands there for myself [Orange County] and my daughter [South Carolina].

As for value, LaZ-Boy prices are not cheap, but the quality is good. There is usually an annual sale in January, although I have not heard anything so far.

Store Locator: https://www.la-z-boy.com/storeLocator/storeLocator.jsp
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

Sofa U Love has several locations in southern California and that is where I would purchase a sofa to last the rest of my life. I would buy one with slip covers that can be removed and laundered. Their factory is in southern California, and I have a friend who recommends them highly.

Ten years ago, I bought a sofa, a chair, and two ottomans with slipcovers from the World Market store in Huntington Beach. I had a 25% off coupon, and I think I only paid about $700. I now work on it and relax on it, so it has seen a lot of use. The ottoman survived a red wine spill. When my handyman helped me assemble it, he said, tell your son to go easy on it with his friends, because it's not heavy-duty furniture. My son, daughter and myself are not tall or large people, so it has worked out great.

I went to Ikea recently, and they were out of lots of items (pretty much everything I wanted.) We ended up buying a small desk at Target. Last month, we ordered a platform bed from Wayfair that was not expensive, and it worked out fine.

Decent furniture on Craigslist is rather pricey right now.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

LilyFleur wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:14 am I went to Ikea recently, and they were out of lots of items (pretty much everything I wanted.) We ended up buying a small desk at Target. Last month, we ordered a platform bed from Wayfair that was not expensive, and it worked out fine.
Which brings up a point. This might not be the best time to be buying this kind of stuff. My brother bought a couch from LaZ-Boy. The wait was 8 months, and this was after they changed their choice of fabrics to some thing that was more available.
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

PWB wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:19 am Thanks again for all the replies! Very helpful! To answer some of the questions:

-What I had meant by forever furniture is simply furniture that can last 30+ years without losing functionality/becoming too decrepit

-Definitely craigslist/facebook/estate sales crossed my mind - I'm terrified of accidentally bringing in pests into the home and will need to buy all the furniture at once, and thus can't spend too long waiting for the right piece/right price to come along. Perhaps after the initial purchase, I can upgrade over time. If I go this route, I'd probably just get Ikea or something to bide some time.

-I'm not sure if this is a style, but I'm trying to go for a modern/minimalistic look. I'm not well-versed in this verbiage though.
If you want MCM/minimalist, then search on Craigslist for Teak furniture. A LOT of people who bought 60's Danish Modern are, um, leaving us.

I would try estate sales vs. "thrift" stores.

Quite frankly, the best pieces we have found come via a realtor friend pointing us to the heirs of the original owner(s) that are disposing of the estate.
They win, you win.

You are going to pay $$$, but no more than good (ahem????!!!) furniture form Ashley, et al.

Just did a search on CL Los Angeles for teak--there is plenty there.
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

celia wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:31 am The ports in Southern Cal are still backlogged. We ordered a piece of furniture from south-east Asia a year ago that hasn't come in yet. So if you want it soon, buy what you find that is in stock.
How can someone order this? Is it through website/local retailer.

We were looking for some outdoor furniture that we saw in Bali but no luck finding something similar here.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939
celia

Post by celia »

ray.james wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:55 pm
celia wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:31 am The ports in Southern Cal are still backlogged. We ordered a piece of furniture from south-east Asia a year ago that hasn't come in yet. So if you want it soon, buy what you find that is in stock.
How can someone order this? Is it through website/local retailer.
We found furniture we liked at a local retailer but wanted to add another piece to the set. We agreed (and paid for) everything upfront with the agreement we can get our money back if the last piece doesn’t come in.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

quantAndHold wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:45 am
LilyFleur wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:14 am I went to Ikea recently, and they were out of lots of items (pretty much everything I wanted.) We ended up buying a small desk at Target. Last month, we ordered a platform bed from Wayfair that was not expensive, and it worked out fine.
Which brings up a point. This might not be the best time to be buying this kind of stuff. My brother bought a couch from LaZ-Boy. The wait was 8 months, and this was after they changed their choice of fabrics to some thing that was more available.
Exactly. I am an artist and paint in my dining room. I wanted to buy a table from Ikea that would accommodate this, but they were out of every single option that would work well. I ended up buying a $67 banquet table from Amazon that fits nicely in the space, and will be fine for holiday meals with a tablecloth over it. I can make do with this for a good long while, and maybe to the end of my life. (I picked painting as a hobby because it can be done easily to an advanced age, unlike hiking for days in Yosemite with your tent and bedding on your back.)
rascott

Post by rascott »

PWB wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:19 am Thanks again for all the replies! Very helpful! To answer some of the questions:

Good, high quality, solid wood furniture is expensive. Just is what it is.

You can get a perfectly fine $1500 sofa. We have one in that range that is 4+ years old and is holding up fine with two kids. But I don't count on it lasting for decades. For that, you are easily looking at $4-5k+.

$150 for nightstands? That's pretty low, and is going to be particle board, etc... and it won't last long whatsoever. Probably need to be in the $300-400 range, at least. We bought a couple solid wood ones from Wayfair, in that price range that I'm happy with, modern style.

Bed, probably $1k min.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

My Bassett Furniture has held up well over time. Its not inexpensive, but not outrageous. One feature I liked was that the upholstered furniture could be semi-customized with different density cushioning and a wide variety (100's) of fabrics and designs to meet my preference.

https://www.bassettfurniture.com

(Just a note on used furniture. Beware of bedbugs. They can even be transported and live in wood furniture cracks and crevices. My friend's $25 used nightstand from a thrift store ended up costing thousands; the source turned out to be the nightstand. (As an antique collector, it's really put a damper on things.))
“To be a Virginian either by Birth, Marriage, Adoption, or even on one’s Mother’s side, is an Introduction to any State in the Union, a Passport to any Country, and a Benediction from Above.”—Anonymous