Positive, uplifting Youtube channels?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
billthecat

Positive, uplifting Youtube channels?

Post by billthecat »

What are your favorite positive, uplifting youtube channels? I just can't take anymore idiot drivers, police chases, crime, politics, apocalypse, gender relations, cringe, natural disasters, etc. I feel like the monkey in the opening scene of 28 Days Later. The few areas I like that I already subscribe to relate to travel, packing, and investing (but that's pretty much said and done), which are better but they are practical and not particularly positive/uplifting. Just looking for suggestions.
We cannot direct the winds but we can adjust our sails • It's later than you think
muffins14

Re: Positive, uplifting Youtube channels?

Post by muffins14 »

Not what you’re asking for, but what about a whole change of medium, like dedicating more time to reading?

As something a bit more active that requires your effort ( vs beaming into you), it might be less stressful and more uplifting simply because it’s active instead of reactive, and you can feel some accomplishment from hitting small milestones, like a few new chapters per day, for example
35% NTSX, 25% AVUV, 15% NTSI, 15% AVDV, 10% VWO
fposte

Post by fposte »

It's very taste dependent, but I really enjoy:

Baumgartner Restoration
Victoria and Albert Museum
Life in Yakutia
Letters Live

There's a subreddit called ArtisanVideos that can be a good way to find channels if you enjoy videos where people make things, which I do.
sphinx2020

Post by sphinx2020 »

Talks at Google
Hybrid Calisthenics
blueberrypi

Post by blueberrypi »

K boges - fitness
TED talks are a favorite!
runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

Here's a wide range:

Good Mythical Morning : goofy, funny, easy watching. plenty of "seasons", they've been doing it for a decade. If you have younger kids or grandkids, could be something to watch with them.

Wood By Wright : hand tool woodworking. caveat, I know the person who runs this channel but I don't get anything for referring you. Good guy, very informative. But maybe it'd get your interest in a new hobby. He split the channels, 1 is just a no instruction start to finish build, the other has instructions on building.

Not necessarily uplifting but I find them easy to watch, good natured channels.
D. C. Pline

Post by D. C. Pline »

Here ya go:

https://www.youtube.com/c/TribalPeopleT ... l/featured

Pakistani villagers are given food from all over the world to try for the first time. They are charming and sweet and appreciate everything so much. They have recently posted tours of their homes. No 3-car garages!
DarkHelmetII

Post by DarkHelmetII »

fposte wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:28 pm It's very taste dependent, but I really enjoy:

Baumgartner Restoration
Victoria and Albert Museum
Life in Yakutia
Letters Live

There's a subreddit called ArtisanVideos that can be a good way to find channels if you enjoy videos where people make things, which I do.
after watching a couple hours documentary of Yakutia, makes me appreciate any "extreme" weather I experience is a luxury to some
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

This thread is worth a look: viewtopic.php?t=273251

As far as uplifting...

There's a lot to be said for Mike Boyd. He's a Scot who picks random skills and films himself learning how to do them. The premise seems kind of thin, but his joy every time he succeeds (even when he set his deck on fire doing it) keeps me coming back. Bonus points for his wife cheering him on (and laughing at him) in the background.

The other one is NPR Music. The main content of the channel is "Tiny Desk" concerts. Before COVID, performers gathered in the NPR Music office, and did concerts for the 30 or so people in the office. Since COVID, it's "Tiny Disk (Home)" concerts, where the performers are being recorded in their own homes or small spaces. A lot of good performances, much of which I probably wouldn't listen to otherwise.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday »

“Doing nothing is better than being busy doing nothing.” – Lao Tzu
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_4qmaUhImU

anything nature, eagles, animals etc etc.... above is appetizing, watch before dinner.

https://www.elfruler.com/?page_id=472

this guy is the top for info on eagle nest cams.....
Caution- there is heartbreak, I'm dealing with the S.C. Hilton Head cam, where oldest is bonking youngest too much !
Limoncello402

Post by Limoncello402 »

Clogging, buck dancing, and flat footing videos. Guaranteed to put you in a good mood.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs2j8f7H2WY
Sconie

Post by Sconie »

I'm not necessarily sure about "uplifting," but two channels that I enjoy are: 1) Project Farm, which concentrates on automotive, equipment & tool testing and evaluations, and, 2) Mark Felton's historical productions, concentrating especially on military history and WW2

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2rzsm ... 0Ng/videos

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... roductions

Then there is one that is interesting and REALLY different.....Ask a Mortician:

https://www.youtube.com/c/AskAMortician
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

People are awesome.
toomanysidehustles

Post by toomanysidehustles »

7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

Beryl Shereshewsky
My name is Beryl. I live in New York City and I'm not a chef.
Until recently, I was a producer at Great Big Story, then the company shut down, so now I'm taking advantage of my unemployment by doing what I love, cooking and eating. And since the world is closed off, I'm using food as a way to travel. My goal is to cook a dish from every country on our planet.

https://www.youtube.com/c/berylshereshewsky/about
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

Anything from jonna jinton in Sweden

https://youtu.be/mq8-Iqk8UVE
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
brian91480

Post by brian91480 »

David Butler is a great follow if you're interested in Astrology. A soothing voice, soothing background music, great information... and the images are amazing.

Here's 1 video of many:

https://youtu.be/DKPRDCAOnXM
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

Green Renaissance. https://youtube.com/c/GreenRenaissanceFilms

Here’s one of my favorites “How Much is Enough”
https://youtu.be/MRXc0G3Njg8
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
earlywynnfan

Post by earlywynnfan »

I love theDodo, stories about people adopting shelter pets.
amock

Post by amock »

If you enjoy railroading then ccrx 6700 is a very positive channel.

However, I agree with a previous poster that doing something other than watching online videos is probably a better option than any YouTube channel if you're looking to avoid negativity.
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

Well, if it's uplift you want, SFIA has an entire episode on literal uplift.

ETA: More seriously, YouTube built around showing you things that you are personally very interested in. I linked SFIA because I'm interested in science & futurism, and, yes, he gives you very good reasons to be optimistic about the future. If you're mostly interested in police chases, natural disasters, crime, and politics, well... that's what's going to show up on your feed.

The latest channel I'm thoroughly addicted to? The Charismatic Voice - a professional opera singer offering her first reactions & vocal analysis of various songs (including a lot of heavy metal, which I'd previously never enjoyed; still not my thing, but it gave me a better respect for the craft). I enjoy it so much I joined her Patreon and have become active in their community, and have newfound appreciation for all kinds of music I'd never have been exposed to before. Also, her breaking down one of her own past performances is one of the most adorable & educational things I've ever seen.
earlywynnfan

Post by earlywynnfan »

Independent George wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:13 pm Well, if it's uplift you want, SFIA has an entire episode on literal uplift.

ETA: More seriously, YouTube built around showing you things that you are personally very interested in. I linked SFIA because I'm interested in science & futurism, and, yes, he gives you very good reasons to be optimistic about the future. If you're mostly interested in police chases, natural disasters, crime, and politics, well... that's what's going to show up on your feed.

The latest channel I'm thoroughly addicted to? The Charismatic Voice - a professional opera singer offering her first reactions & vocal analysis of various songs (including a lot of heavy metal, which I'd previously never enjoyed; still not my thing, but it gave me a better respect for the craft). I enjoy it so much I joined her Patreon and have become active in their community, and have newfound appreciation for all kinds of music I'd never have been exposed to before. Also, her breaking down one of her own past performances is one of the most adorable & educational things I've ever seen.
"Rebecca Vocal Athlete" does the same type thing, if you're looking for more.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I am enjoying

https://www.youtube.com/c/EllieDashwood/videos

Which is on Jane Austen novels.
Ependytis

Post by Ependytis »

OK, I’ll probably get crucified for saying this, but Joe Rogan, as part of the Joe Rogan experience JRE, sometimes has some really interesting guests. For example, David Sinclair from Harvard on longevity or Andrew Huberman from Stanford on Non-Sleep Deep Relaxation NSDR. If you review the JRE 5 to 12 minute video and find it interesting, then you can look up the guest and find their other YouTube videos.
Randolph Mortimer

Post by Randolph Mortimer »

Just a few:

Food Wishes
ADHD Whiskey
Rapid Liquid
Fy Nyth
Scott Head
eastlansingspartans

Post by eastlansingspartans »

Essential Craftsman I watch every new video religiously. EC is a wealth of knowledge and reminds me of my late grandpa.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Perhaps it’s my maternal instinct but Leo Kelly, the voluble, earnest and energetic 8 year old reviewer of nonalcoholic Shirley Temple drinks and other comestibles on instagram, known as the Shirley Temple King, keeps my spirits lifted in these difficult times.

Mood lifter qigong by yoqi on YouTube also provides a quick energy lift (provided you do the exercise!) 😃
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

Not a YouTube channel, so not a great answer maybe, but a podcast I stumbled on that I really enjoy is, "How Did This Get Made".
Basically they watch terrible movies and talk about the ridiculousness of it - good if you like obscure movies and comedy.

In general, I don't understand all the YouTube watching, it is easy to be a time sink (which can be a bit depressing in and of itself).
vas

Post by vas »

Recommend the World Science Festival You Tube channel. Fascinating topics, brilliant enthusiastic people.
jarhead

Post by jarhead »

vas

Post by vas »

Wristwatch Revival is oddly satisfying and relaxing.
Volando

Post by Volando »

I have a weird hodge podge of YouTube channels that I follow. Some that you may not have come across that might fit the bill are townsends which has videos on 18th century life, smarter every day which covers scientific topics, cowboy Kent Rollins which is a southern cooking channel, chef billy parisi (more cooking), thecrafsman (variety of arts/crafts projects), Max Lucado (Christian author so maybe not your thing but I find him positive and uplifting).
Milo

Post by Milo »

Pentatonix - a five person A Capella group. They are fascinating. Mesmerizing. Beautifully harmonizing. Positive and uplifting.

I believe they have a YouTube channel (I believe they have 29 million subscribers). But I simply do a search on YouTube for their videos. If you've never heard of them or watched their videos I highly recommend them.

Ten years ago they won an a capella television competition called "Sing Off". At the time the core 3 of their group were 19 years old and met in the same high school in Texas. All 10-12 of those "Sing Off" performances are on YouTube. Since then might I suggest:

Hallelujah
The Sound of Silence
Bohemian Rhapsody
The Prayer
Daft Punk
Gold (Kiiara cover)
Come Along
Shallow (from A Star is Born)
Say Something

And if you do check them out I've seen it recommended that you listen with a good pair of headphones. Oh. And they've won three Grammys.
Milo

Post by Milo »

Independent George wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:13 pm Well, if it's uplift you want, SFIA has an entire episode on literal uplift.

I discovered The Charismatic Voice through her review of a Pentatonix song (A group I recommended below). Then I went on to other songs and other groups. And other reviewers. Or possibly they call themselves reactors. As they're creating videos of their reactions to various songs/groups. They are pretty fun and interesting.
raizar29

Post by raizar29 »

Cox n' Crendor
Babish Culinary Universe
WheezyWaiter
BardicBroadcasts
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

I watch a variety of programs from Singapore and Malaysia including:

Jinnyboy TV - Does some of the finest short films (Watch The Rose as it is his best)
Wah! Banana - short videos from Singapore
Life Where I am From - Japanese-Canadian family living in Japan - lots of good culture
Tree Potatoes - short videos from Singapore
Dan Khoo Productions

All of these are MOSTLY in English.

The problem that I see with some of these smaller producers is that they start the channel while in University and drop them when they graduate and start their career.

The problem with YouTube is that when you click on a few of the videos on the topics mentioned by the OP, that is all that you start getting. Honestly, YouTube would much rather have you clicking on CNN/Fox videos than some fishing videos from Laos or Cambodia.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Stacked Golf is my favorite.

I follow most of my favorite music artists. Music and performances are usually positive.

Bigdawstv and mrbeast have some positive videos giving big donations.

Your interests should drive your subscriptions. I am picky and frequently clean up subs I no longer care about.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

Milo wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:12 pm I discovered The Charismatic Voice through her review of a Pentatonix song (A group I recommended below). Then I went on to other songs and other groups. And other reviewers. Or possibly they call themselves reactors. As they're creating videos of their reactions to various songs/groups. They are pretty fun and interesting.
What I love about TCV is the level of analysis she provides, and not just the reaction (though her enthusiastic reactions are admittedly a huge part of her appeal). I've learned so much about music in general from listening to her break down vocal technique and what's actually happening during a performance. I've watched other reaction videos, and while they can be fun, very few of them go into the technical details the way she does. I'm really not into metal, and I never had any interest in opera, but I have a newfound appreciation for both as a result of the channel. There are a few other 'reaction' channels that I quite enjoy because they do far more than just 'reactions' (Wings of Pegasus for his guitar analysis, and his breakdowns on the blatant overuse of autotune; Beth Roars for her videos on music history and theory). TCV is easily my favorite, though. Her interview series is fantastic - it's really obvious that her guests see her as a peer and are much more at ease opening to her than with a reporter.
boglesmind

Post by boglesmind »

billthecat wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:15 pm What are your favorite positive, uplifting youtube channels? I just can't take anymore idiot drivers, police chases, crime, politics, apocalypse, gender relations, cringe, natural disasters, etc. I feel like the monkey in the opening scene of 28 Days Later. The few areas I like that I already subscribe to relate to travel, packing, and investing (but that's pretty much said and done), which are better but they are practical and not particularly positive/uplifting. Just looking for suggestions.
No association with them but like their dances. Some examples
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zSwsa8KTRM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35JB7tC4mPI
https://youtu.be/vvUnJOafjaE

Boglesmind
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

I love videos about saving animals. There are hundreds of them and they mostly make me smile or cry. Sometimes I get angry (at the beginning) at the previous owners/humans for animal abuse, but I know it's going to end well (or it wouldn't be a Youtube video) so it's fairly safe to watch.
dboeger1

Post by dboeger1 »

Caduceus wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:16 am I love videos about saving animals. There are hundreds of them and they mostly make me smile or cry. Sometimes I get angry (at the beginning) at the previous owners/humans for animal abuse, but I know it's going to end well (or it wouldn't be a Youtube video) so it's fairly safe to watch.
Actually, be very careful with those. There's a whole scandal about how many of those channels are fake and created by people in third-world countries who abuse the same animals over and over again across many videos and channels in order to fake rescuing them for the ad revenue. If you search something along the lines of "fake animal rescue videos" on YouTube, you'll find videos of people going through lots of evidence of this happening.

Sadly, a similar thing is somewhat true of my recommendation. We recently had our first child, so in preparation, I watched a lot of channels and videos focused on parenting young children. Unfortunately, there is also somewhat of a rabbit hole when it comes to parents abusing/exploiting children for monetary gain. If you can avoid those controversial cases, it's actually quite inspiring to see how many new parents care for their children from birth through the toddler years. I do cringe at the commercial nature of how these channels are sponsored by all kinds of baby product lines as well as other products and services targeted at young parents, but again, if you just ignore that aspect, it's cool to see the kids grow up. I intended to quit watching all of those videos once our child was born, but I just couldn't help myself when it came to one channel in particular. Any time I get a notification of a new video from them, I'm just legitimately curious how their kids are doing, almost like they're friends or neighbors or something. My wife makes fun of me by saying I should spend more time caring about our kid and less about theirs.
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

Independent George wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:13 pm
Milo wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:12 pm I discovered The Charismatic Voice through her review of a Pentatonix song (A group I recommended below). Then I went on to other songs and other groups. And other reviewers. Or possibly they call themselves reactors. As they're creating videos of their reactions to various songs/groups. They are pretty fun and interesting.
What I love about TCV is the level of analysis she provides, and not just the reaction (though her enthusiastic reactions are admittedly a huge part of her appeal). I've learned so much about music in general from listening to her break down vocal technique and what's actually happening during a performance. I've watched other reaction videos, and while they can be fun, very few of them go into the technical details the way she does. I'm really not into metal, and I never had any interest in opera, but I have a newfound appreciation for both as a result of the channel. There are a few other 'reaction' channels that I quite enjoy because they do far more than just 'reactions' (Wings of Pegasus for his guitar analysis, and his breakdowns on the blatant overuse of autotune; Beth Roars for her videos on music history and theory). TCV is easily my favorite, though. Her interview series is fantastic - it's really obvious that her guests see her as a peer and are much more at ease opening to her than with a reporter.
Oh, this made me think of something I trip over every now and then and really enjoy - the Charismatic Voice.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK5G-r ... eMkrL7Bs1w

She is some sort of classical singer and coach, but she breaks down lots of rock / metal stuff on the vocal and song quality. Really fun - you can get sucked into a 30-60 minute session if you're not careful.
katielvw

Post by katielvw »

My two most watched are very different from each other.

Someone else mentioned it, but Good Mythical Morning is my most watched channel. I am not a 10 year old boy, but watching them and their humor brings out my 10 year old boy humor https://www.youtube.com/GoodMythicalMorning

A new favorite is a vlogger from Svaldbarg, a remote island above Norway and she vlogs her life living in this remote area. Her photography of the region is gorgeous and she has a really calming and encouraging vibe. They like to take boat and snowmobile trips with beautiful scenery included. https://www.youtube.com/c/CeciliaBlomdahl
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

I usually watch a lot of cooking channels. It's uplifing to eat it after following the instructions.
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

I got hooked on Charlie McDonnell back in 2011. His channel has been more or less dormant for three years but his old videos still get lots of views. He started as a bored 16 year old making videos from his bedroom in Bath, England. I suppose he is about 30 now. Still like the old videos, they were quite good.

www.youtube.com/charlie

Just looked it up, Charlieissocoollike is 31 years old. My the years have flown by.
A fool and his money are good for business.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

Emma's Fishing - Some great fishing videos from SE Asia (cannot figure out where)
Professor of Rock - presentations on the various artists of the 1970-90s

Also, any of the few websites where you see hackers scam the scammers pretending to me Microsoft employees.
crinkles2

Post by crinkles2 »

Currently watching a great channel about a guy who bought Cerro Gordo, union mine, think it’s called Ghost town living
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

RubyTuesday wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:50 pm Mark Smith Wildlife Photography

Mark Rober (cool science and engineering stuff)

And of course the Bogleheads YouTube channel
Hilarious Mark Rober vide on youtube. He tries to squirrel proof his bird feeder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFZFjoX2cGg
BH_RedRan

Post by BH_RedRan »

This Old Tony
Home shop stuff. Funny "dad jokes" and great production value. If you are a DIYer, you can learn things too.

James Popsys
Pointers on landscape photography. Self-deprecating humor, great landscapes, helpful for newer outdoor photographers.

Leigh - The Snap Chick.
I find her uplifting. Easy going advice. Good photography pointers. Good equipment reviews.

Special books by special kids
This is definitely worth a look. I think this guy is in it for the right reasons. I've learned quite a lot about special needs kids of all kinds. (My niece has CP, which is what started me watching this channel.) The spirit of these kids (and young adults) is inspiring. Start from the beginning.

Tech ingredients
Picture a favorite teacher from way back, doing fun experiments in an entertaining and well-presented format. Anything from making rocket engines to distilling whiskey.

Clickspring
The epitome of a craftsman. His work methods are beautiful to watch and the videos are well narrated and somehow calming. The results are stunning.

Wintergaten
Musician/maker. Created a couple of versions of a marble-based music machine. Incredible. He is a talented and creative person that is fun to watch.

Ana Vidivoc - Classical guitar. I end up listening to one of her concerts quite often. - Also, Omni foundation in general.

Mark Rober, mentioned above, is a fun watch too. The squirrel obstacle course is a good one.