That Extravagant Thing You Do

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ResearchMed

Re: What is your luxury good?

Post by ResearchMed »

stoptothink wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:00 pm
daveydoo wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:57 pm
stoptothink wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:49 pm At this point in my life, I think my luxury good is actually being able to provide nice things to those I love my wife as they actually enjoy them.
Not to be superficial, but it may not be terrible to have a few nice things that your close family associates with you. Wait, hear me out!

My low-maintenance non-acquisitive spouse recently said, "Not to be mean, but you really have nothing *nice* from your father." It's true. We got some money and that's nice, but it does not affect our current or future lifestyle. He bought nice jewelry for my (late) mother that we kids and/or our spouses wear and cherish and think of her. But for himself he had K-Mart-type clothes, shoes, watches for the most part. So I miss having something tangible. I know that sounds silly and I never would have expected it. He was anti-materialistic but did enjoy the finer things -- nice meals and nice vacations. And no, I would not trade happy memories for a material thing, but would it be so hard to have both? :D

So I bought a nice but wearable watch and plan to make a nice ring or two. No, I don't believe the Patek ads that I'm buying for the next generation. And I know that memories are more important than things. And I'm not super-sentimental on the spectrum and I do not feel that things hold any magical or spiritual connection to the deceased (meaning I think I'm pretty much like the rest of us). But we did "waste" money shipping some beloved pieces of furniture to many different corners of the country just to hold onto them. And I do wish I had a tangible daily reminder in the form of a ring or a watch or a...something.
We have this conversation quite often. My wife always wants to buy me something for my birthday or Christmas. For the past year it has been a nice watch. I always manage to talk her out of it, and instead convince her to buy something for herself or the kids or plan a nice date night. One thing that I have been thinking about is an electric assisted fat bike, and we have set a plan that I'll get one when we have the house paid off. The house will be paid off in ~3yrs, but I suspect by then that I will have talked myself out of that one too.
Assuming you can afford it, you might want to consider that something nice to do for your wife would be to "let" her buy you something really special.
Then you thank her a lot, and tell her how much you like it, and that you'll think of her whenever you use it / look at it, etc.

And who knows... you might actually really enjoy using or looking at it :happy

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
ruralavalon

Re: That Extravagant Thing You Do

Post by ruralavalon »

MY old car has died. I bought a nice used Cadillac CTS .

We dine out frequently.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

We travel often, but rarely drive over an hour. Use our own airplane for most trips except international or transcontinental. It sometimes costs more than the airlines, but it's often faster. We can fly on our own schedule.
BBQ Nut

Post by BBQ Nut »

* Swords (katana)
* Craft Beer :sharebeer
* Audio gear & LPs, SACDs
* Quality meats from my specialty butcher

But with the kids in college, I can see us upping our travel budget quite a bit. :happy
trueson1

Post by trueson1 »

Good aged single malt Scotch and smooth bourbon!

Nice Vacations
arrieros81

Post by arrieros81 »

SuperGrafx wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:39 am
arrieros81 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:08 pm
Clothing and accessories with real fur.
What kind of real fur??
Well, not dog or cat fur I guess. I saw cat skins for sale in Asia once.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Declaring myself financially independent in my early 50’s and quitting my job. Like someone else upthread said, I definitely left at least $1M on the table.

Travel. Lots of it, now that we’re not bound by work schedules.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

daveydoo wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:57 pm
stoptothink wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:49 pm At this point in my life, I think my luxury good is actually being able to provide nice things to those I love my wife as they actually enjoy them.
Not to be superficial, but it may not be terrible to have a few nice things that your close family associates with you. Wait, hear me out!

My low-maintenance non-acquisitive spouse recently said, "Not to be mean, but you really have nothing *nice* from your father." It's true. We got some money and that's nice, but it does not affect our current or future lifestyle. He bought nice jewelry for my (late) mother that we kids and/or our spouses wear and cherish and think of her. But for himself he had K-Mart-type clothes, shoes, watches for the most part. So I miss having something tangible. I know that sounds silly and I never would have expected it. He was anti-materialistic but did enjoy the finer things -- nice meals and nice vacations. And no, I would not trade happy memories for a material thing, but would it be so hard to have both? :D

So I bought a nice but wearable watch and plan to make a nice ring or two. No, I don't believe the Patek ads that I'm buying for the next generation. And I know that memories are more important than things. And I'm not super-sentimental on the spectrum and I do not feel that things hold any magical or spiritual connection to the deceased (meaning I think I'm pretty much like the rest of us). But we did "waste" money shipping some beloved pieces of furniture to many different corners of the country just to hold onto them. And I do wish I had a tangible daily reminder in the form of a ring or a watch or a...something.
I kept my Dad’s old bathrobe which I frequently saw him wear. Sounds silly, but I do end up smiling when I see it in my closet.
notsobright

What NON frugal thing did you do today?

Post by notsobright »

[Thread merged into here, see below (next page) --admin LadyGeek]

Inspired by the other mega frugal thread :)

What NON frugal thing did you do today?

Guess i'll start:
payed an extra $25 in shipping on a $20 item to get here in time for Christmas
HEDGEFUNDIE

Re: What NON frugal thing did you do today?

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE »

Spent $1100 for professional family photography (gift to my parents)
Dontwasteit

Post by Dontwasteit »

Notsobright...That's a tough pill to swallow :beer
B4Xt3r

Post by B4Xt3r »

I drove my truck because it has more smiles per gallon than my wife's prius.
jfn111

Post by jfn111 »

I went to see Aquaman yesterday and splurged for the large popcorn and large soda. $16.12 latter I'm thinking- that was more than the ticket. :oops:
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

Spent the extra $300/night for the Platinum Rock Star suite at Hard Rock Riviera Maya.

Worth every penny.

We check out today.
go_mets

Post by go_mets »

I bought a new laptop that I did not need but the price was very good and I paid with a gift card that I had purchased at 10% off.
I will end up donating the laptop.
So I guess it was 1/2 frugal and 1/2 non-frugal. :happy
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

My NON-frugal things are not purchases but activities in which I don't want to engage even they have financial benefit. I place a high opportunity cost on my time and happiness.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
corn18

Post by corn18 »

Paid $300 for 2 oz of Remy Martin Louis XIII cognac at Xmas dinner last night.
Consistently sets low goals and fails to achieve them.
gator15

Post by gator15 »

Currently staying in a hotel and went down to the hotel bar and spent $20 for two beers when I had beer in my hotel room. Did so because the bar was showing a football game that wasn’t being shown in my hotel room.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I ran the dishwasher when it was only one-third full.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
sambb

Post by sambb »

got a mesh wifi network to update my old one.
Mesh network is awesome, and wish i would not have waited this long
took 15 minutes to set up in a large house with over 20 devices connecting
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

Took my wife, her son, d-in-law, 3-y-old grandson and her older brother out for dinner last night. It was her idea. :) It's a nice place on the James River with a view of the city lights and it's close to home. I had the fried seafood platter & she had the crab stuffed lobster (she's 103 pounds and ate the entire thing along with some salad & calamari). Tab with tax and tip = $360. Could have been worse. :sharebeer

Merry Christmas
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

I went to do Christmas shopping at one of the high end supermarket place, not WholeFood. I purchased all the top quality seafood(can’t stand seafood at Costco), bought lots of charcuterie there as well. It’s one of my favorite place to shop for Christmas food, they have everything, but much more expensive than regular supermarket.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Made the choice not to work, even though I could earn a six figure income.
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

Paid time and a half holiday rate for my spouse’s morning aide to do her usual shift and gave her a fairly generous holiday bonus in addition. At our stage of life, there isn’t a whole lot of things to be unfrugal with, but competent, caring help is certainly up there.
Flymore

Post by Flymore »

Bought new Samsung Galaxy s9+ that I didn't need.
Fantastic phone. :D
sil2017

Post by sil2017 »

Paid $125 change fee to Alaska Airlines to change an award ticket
Pomegranate

Post by Pomegranate »

DrGoogle2017 wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:30 am I went to do Christmas shopping at one of the high end supermarket place, not WholeFood. I purchased all the top quality seafood(can’t stand seafood at Costco), bought lots of charcuterie there as well. It’s one of my favorite place to shop for Christmas food, they have everything, but much more expensive than regular supermarket.
Could you share the name of the place? I like seafood from Costco but always ready to try smth better :D
Texgal17

Post by Texgal17 »

I bought a fancy Water Pic for $56.00 that I’m not sure I will like using...trying to do better with my dental care. :D
HockeyFan99

Post by HockeyFan99 »

Purchased Die Hard on Amazon, rather than renting it, because my wife was in the mood for a “holiday movie” and I told her I would “pick us a classic.”
"I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons." - Hotblack Desiato
welderwannabe

Post by welderwannabe »

HockeyFan99 wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:04 pm Purchased Die Hard on Amazon, rather than renting it, because my wife was in the mood for a “holiday movie” and I told her I would “pick us a classic.”
I did the exact same thing. She actually ended up enjoying it.
I am not an investment professional, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

HockeyFan99 wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:04 pm Purchased Die Hard on Amazon, rather than renting it, because my wife was in the mood for a “holiday movie” and I told her I would “pick us a classic.”
https://www.vulture.com/2018/07/bruce-w ... movie.html
HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE »

Texgal17 wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:02 pm
I bought a fancy Water Pic for $56.00 that I’m not sure I will like using...trying to do better with my dental care. :D
WaterPik changed my life. It’s amazing how much gets in between your teeth.
Texgal17

Post by Texgal17 »

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:02 pm
Good to know! My sister swears by it too....So, I’ll give it a whirl! Thanks...
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

Brought a new (1st) child home from the hospital yesterday
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

Texgal17 wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:04 pm
My periodontist told me 25 years ago that a Water Pic would be the best thing I could do for myself. I highly recommend them also.
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

Pomegranate wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:59 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:30 am I went to do Christmas shopping at one of the high end supermarket place, not WholeFood. I purchased all the top quality seafood(can’t stand seafood at Costco), bought lots of charcuterie there as well. It’s one of my favorite place to shop for Christmas food, they have everything, but much more expensive than regular supermarket.
Could you share the name of the place? I like seafood from Costco but always ready to try smth better :D
I sent you a PM. Plus at Costco they sell huge package for everything, here you can specify where the cut of a certain type of fish. I think in the end it’s cheaper over.
Last edited by DrGoogle2017 on Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

abner kravitz wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:09 pm
My periodontist told me 25 years ago that a Water Pic would be the best thing I could do for myself. I highly recommend them also.
No substitute for flossing tho! definitely a great part of oral hygiene

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-life ... q-20058112
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

Nothing yet, but the day is still young.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

Not today but last week:
Paid deposits on two (more) trips, one in Sept 2019 and the other a year later. Splurged to get balcony cabins!
Travelling as a solo it is hard to get deals on single cabins. Grabbed them now so I could get them at all.

Got the last one on the 2019 voyage. Both are actually full-size cabins.
Icecakes

Post by Icecakes »

Used daily this can save you hundreds if not thousands with a periodontist
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

Just opened the silver oak to breath. It’s going with the prime rib we are having later. Also a splurge.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
corn18

Post by corn18 »

JonnyDVM wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:27 pm Just opened the silver oak to breath. It’s going with the prime rib we are having later. Also a splurge.
My Camus cab is breathing as well.
Consistently sets low goals and fails to achieve them.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

corn18 wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:38 pm
JonnyDVM wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:27 pm Just opened the silver oak to breath. It’s going with the prime rib we are having later. Also a splurge.
Hah hah. I’m saving that bottle for mid January. We’re going to a nice restaraunt. There’s a $25 corkage fee but it’s still way less than buying a bottle. Deep down I’m still a cheapo.
O2sats

Post by O2sats »

Both of those are some of my favorites. I try not to indulge too often in the nicer bottles. I say that as I'm letting my Stag's leap cab breathe now too 😁
sirsa

Post by sirsa »

jfn111 wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:46 am I went to see Aquaman yesterday and splurged for the large popcorn and large soda. $16.12 latter I'm thinking- that was more than the ticket. :oops:
When I was in high school and still relied on pocket money to watch movies, I was so pissed off at the cost of popcorn and soda that I vowed I would never buy popcorn and soda when going to the cinemas. I am 29 years old and still won't touch popcorn and soda inside the cinema theatres. Lol.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

O2sats wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:48 pm
Both of those are some of my favorites. I try not to indulge too often in the nicer bottles. I say that as I'm letting my Stag's leap cab breathe now too 😁
Todays the day! Finally, an occasion where you don’t have to feel guilty about breaking out the “nice” bottle.
Woodshark

Post by Woodshark »

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:19 am Spent $1100 for professional family photography (gift to my parents)
As a retired professional photographer, I thank you.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

I gave my two hard-working, frugal, starving college-student children a check for $500 each for Christmas. I signed the card from me and my mother. My mother died last year and I have decided I want to share my money with my children as we go along rather than giving them a larger inheritance.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

abner kravitz wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:09 pm
Water Pic (with a nasal tip) has saved me a ton on doctor visits for sinus infections. You can irrigate with a homemade saline solution (use distilled water) and wash out the infection and then you won't need antibiotics.
FIre Fighter

Post by FIre Fighter »

Splurged for the $7.99 wine from Trader Joe’s. Normally go for the $4.99 bottle.