That Extravagant Thing You Do

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
AlphaLess

Re: What NON frugal thing did you do today?

Post by AlphaLess »

notsobright wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:13 am Inspired by the other mega frugal thread :)

What NON frugal thing did you do today?

Guess i'll start:
payed an extra $25 in shipping on a $20 item to get here in time for Christmas
Technical term: shipping kills the deal.
I don't carry a signature because people are easily offended.
corn18

Post by corn18 »

O2sats wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:48 pm
corn18 wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:38 pm
JonnyDVM wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:27 pm Just opened the silver oak to breath. It’s going with the prime rib we are having later. Also a splurge.
My Camus cab is breathing as well.
Both of those are some of my favorites. I try not to indulge too often in the nicer bottles. I say that as I'm letting my Stag's leap cab breathe now too 😁
Stag's Leap is another favorite of ours. Good stuff.
Consistently sets low goals and fails to achieve them.
AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess »

abner kravitz wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:09 pm
My periodontist told me 25 years ago that a Water Pic would be the best thing I could do for myself. I highly recommend them also.
Ah, water pick is nothing compared to this gadget:
"Oral Breeze Shower Breeze Water Irrigator".
I don't carry a signature because people are easily offended.
runner26

Post by runner26 »

Bought the $21 bottle of chardonnay that was on for sale at $16. It was not as good as the $7.95 bottle I usually buy.
Doohop65

Post by Doohop65 »

Rented a condo on the water in Puerto Rico. Growing up I didn’t know what an airplane or a vacation was.

My two young children have flown both internationally and stateside more than I did in my entire juvenile life. Money well spent.

Merry Christmas.
snailderby

Post by snailderby »

Cycle wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:09 pm Brought a new (1st) child home from the hospital yesterday
Congratulations! What a gift!
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

snailderby wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:27 pm
Cycle wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:09 pm Brought a new (1st) child home from the hospital yesterday
+1

Purchased a Kindle Oasis. I think the kids are making good use of my previous Kindles.

I’d rather be bringing a grandchild home from the hospital, but that’s at least a decade away.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

Congratulations! First child is not 'non-frugal`. The fourth one may be.

TravelforFun
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Woodshark wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:04 pm
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:19 am Spent $1100 for professional family photography (gift to my parents)
As a retired professional photographer, I thank you.
So great that the father of one of my childhood best friend's is a retired very accomplished photographer, and that he moved just a few miles down the road from us 4yrs ago. He charges us a few steaks and an evening hanging out at his place for taking our annual family pictures. I can't believe how much halfway decent pictures actually cost.
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

I made the decision last week, and it will take effect Jan 1, but I did one of the most non-frugal things possible: I'm retiring early at age 53.5.

If I were to continue working to FRA at 67, I would probably make another $3 million, plus compound another $2-3 million on current savings I wouldn't need to spend.

How's THAT for not being frugal?

And yet how many of us aspire to such a thing?
Time is what we want most, but what we use worst. William Penn
HockeyFan99

Post by HockeyFan99 »

TravelforFun wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:45 pm
Congratulations! First child is not 'non-frugal`. The fourth one may be.

TravelforFun
Yes, congratulations!!
"I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons." - Hotblack Desiato
BBQ Nut

Post by BBQ Nut »

Spent $200 on a choice standing rib roast for xmas dinner.

omg.... :happy
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

FIre Fighter wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:47 pm Splurged for the $7.99 wine from Trader Joe’s. Normally go for the $4.99 bottle.
Ooh, bye-bye, Lindemann's? I think that's a bridge too far for me right now.
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

Served both a roast organic turkey AND honey-baked ham for dinner tonight.
Kompass

Post by Kompass »

Gave my mother’s primary caregiver a $1000 Christmas bonus for keeping mom pampered.

Not frugal, but worth every penny.
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

BBQ Nut wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:39 pm Spent $200 on a choice standing rib roast for xmas dinner.

Our was $100 on a prime standing rib roast, small but it’s the last course of a 9-course meal. Our daughter said it’s like going to Lawry’s steak place around here, she went there for a friend’s pre-weddding party. I bought it from Costco, I will buy it again. Simple delicious. Even for people who usually don’t like to eat meat.
MJW

Post by MJW »

livesoft wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:03 am I ran the dishwasher when it was only one-third full.
And there I was at Christmas, vowing to have more faith in my fellow persons only to come home and read this.
Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 »

LilyFleur wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:09 pm I gave my two hard-working, frugal, starving college-student children a check for $500 each for Christmas. I signed the card from me and my mother. My mother died last year and I have decided I want to share my money with my children as we go along rather than giving them a larger inheritance.
Totally agree. My wife’s parents did the same for them. Every summer for the last 5 years family would go together to Europe for summer. In the end it was really a very small cost considering the joy of spending in real time their resources and taking advantage of what in the end the most precious resource - TIME.

We have a young child and hopefully will do the same particularly during the period of young adulthood transition after joining the work force. I recall the transition period into complete independence as a young adult professional being the most difficult with regards to financial stress for wants and needs. Many times passed on “experiences “ with family and friends because it was considered a wants and not a need. Don’t want my future child as an adult foregoing an opportunity to spend time with me or her mom based upon the dichotomy of decision making based solely upon want and need without the data of responsible life enjoyment.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Paid my house cleaners a week's wage as Christmas bonus.

Bought a 40 year old stereo amplifier on eBay for $200.
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

LilyFleur wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:09 pm I gave my two hard-working, frugal, starving college-student children a check for $500 each for Christmas. I signed the card from me and my mother. My mother died last year and I have decided I want to share my money with my children as we go along rather than giving them a larger inheritance.
I usually do this even my kids are not in the starving college phase. But I agree with the sentiment.
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

stoptothink wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:04 pm
Woodshark wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:04 pm
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:19 am Spent $1100 for professional family photography (gift to my parents)
As a retired professional photographer, I thank you.
So great that the father of one of my childhood best friend's is a retired very accomplished photographer, and that he moved just a few miles down the road from us 4yrs ago. He charges us a few steaks and an evening hanging out at his place for taking our annual family pictures. I can't believe how much halfway decent pictures actually cost.
I paid nearly $2500 10 years ago for our two family portraits, best money I’ve spent, plus I was flushed with money.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

DrGoogle2017 wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:44 am
BBQ Nut wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:39 pm Spent $200 on a choice standing rib roast for xmas dinner.

Our was $100 on a prime standing rib roast, small but it’s the last course of a 9-course meal. Our daughter said it’s like going to Lawry’s steak place around here, she went there for a friend’s pre-weddding party. I bought it from Costco, I will buy it again. Simple delicious. Even for people who usually don’t like to eat meat.
Ours was actually two 2-bone sections that were apparently the leftovers from earlier shoppers. They were perfect for the five of us--and quite well marbled. It was our first time cooking rib roasts at home--I smoked them for Christmas Eve. Turned out great. DW loved it so much that I'm sure this will be on many holiday menus in the future.

Cost was probably just under $100 as our total bill was $132 but included a couple of steaks and a few other items.
telecaster

Post by telecaster »

I paid a local mechanic $100 to fix the 4-wherl drive on my truck even though I knew what the problem likely was (and I was right!).

No regrets. I spent the day with my family instead of under the vehicle.
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

Confirmed with the Ritz Carlton my reservation is legit, now on to booking for rental car for our upcoming Hawaii trip.
CaliJim

Post by CaliJim »

7.7 mile hike up to the top (1950 ft), followed by $15 cheeseburger w/ two sides. after the hike, it was best tasting burger ever.
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: That Extravagant Thing You Do

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged notsobright's thread into a similar discussion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
lgs88

Post by lgs88 »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:09 pm I merged notsobright's thread into a similar discussion.
What's extravagant about that?!
merely an interested amateur
jason1

Post by jason1 »

Just dropped my car off at the dealership for a repair. I normally do my own maintenance and repair but I just don't have time. So now I am paying over 800 dollars to replace a 80 dollar bearing. (Driveshaft carrier)
beyou

Post by beyou »

Just returned from dinner and a show on Broadway, for my family of 4. Orchestra seating and a touristy restarant near the theater.

But I got these expensive tix below the face price, so still somewhat BHish ! Still was quite the extravagance. But my family works hard, was nice to spend time with college age kids who came home with great grades from very competitive schools. Soon back to the grind for all of us.
Keepcalm

Post by Keepcalm »

'16 Audi S4

Canada Goose Jacket
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

lgs88 wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:13 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:09 pm I merged notsobright's thread into a similar discussion.
What's extravagant about that?!
:D

I almost choked on my drink.
We need more humor like this - thanks!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Nummerkins

Post by Nummerkins »

My hobby/side gig is pyrotechnics. Every so often I do a show for fun where I literally burn $1000-$1500/minute :)
Today's high is tomorrow's low.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

snailderby wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:27 pm
Congratulations :D .

Poor kid will get shorted on gifts :( , with birthday almost on Christmas.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

My family go on a cruise every year. Next one in 7 days.

(comparative advantage, as we live <20 minute from a major cruise port)
Scrapr

Post by Scrapr »

sirsa wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:52 pm
jfn111 wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:46 am I went to see Aquaman yesterday and splurged for the large popcorn and large soda. $16.12 latter I'm thinking- that was more than the ticket. :oops:
When I was in high school and still relied on pocket money to watch movies, I was so pissed off at the cost of popcorn and soda that I vowed I would never buy popcorn and soda when going to the cinemas. I am 29 years old and still won't touch popcorn and soda inside the cinema theatres. Lol.
Ha! Last year Mrs Scrapr & I went to the movie. I saw that they had the whisky I like so thought that would be a nice complement. Turned out to be something like $9 or $10! So I did it once. I'll do it the old fashioned way from now on & bring a flask. We have not been back yet

BITD, the college movie scene had midnight movies. Lots of folks brought in beer. Couple times a night you would hear a bottle rolling all the way down to the front. LOL
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

On an impulse, I bought a 15 pound Kettle ball at a local store. It wasn't on sale and I wasn't looking for one.

I already have a full set of adjustable dumbbells for my workout.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Actor

Post by Actor »

Bought a new kitchen sponge today vs. microwaving the old one
TheHouse7

Post by TheHouse7 »

$1,500 on task/ office chairs thinking they will last 10+ years :)
"PSX will always go up 20%, why invest in anything else?!" -Father-in-law early retired.
AgentOrange

Post by AgentOrange »

Nissan GTR next spring. (Cash, of course!)
Leaving extravagant tip for good service.
ASpenderInRecovery

Post by ASpenderInRecovery »

After working many years and not taking vacations my wife and I decided to start taking annual vacations in the Caribbean or tropical destination. We’ve done St. Lucia, Playa del Carmen, next up is likely Aruba. We have a vacation fund at Ally we contribute to monthly with the sole purpose of covering every penny of the annual vacay costs. It’s fun trying to figure out how far you can make your money stretch with excursions, massages, nice dinners.

I bought a new 2018 Accord this year and sprung for the top level Touring trim because it had better equipment than the A4 I was drooling over. The thing feels like a luxury car to me!
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

This afternoon, I spent 4 hours booking a 3-week road trip to Montana and Idaho, it’s sort of like an RV trip but we will be staying at mostly nice and decent hotels. This is after just booking 2 weeks in New England. Originally I was going to fly, but if I book for the airfare, and can’t cancel it then I’m stuck. With this road trip, I can cancel almost the last minute, so it’s not as restrictive. All these locations have to be in the summer, high season, because school starts in Late August here. So I won’t have to miss school.
One Ping

Post by One Ping »

Ditto on the road trips. Probably 3 or 4 seven to fourteen day trips a year.

Good single malt scotch (Lagavulin 16, Oban, Talisker, Abelour A'bundah and Macallan 18).
Taking in a movie and dinner at a luxury theater a few times a year.
"Re-verify our range to target ... one ping only."
ram

Post by ram »

Booked 3 trips to Hawaii, California and Asia during the winter. Winter temperature in our area can drop down to -20F.
Ram
RDHUSA

Post by RDHUSA »

deleted
Last edited by RDHUSA on Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is good.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

bhsince87 wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:29 pm I made the decision last week, and it will take effect Jan 1, but I did one of the most non-frugal things possible: I'm retiring early at age 53.5.

If I were to continue working to FRA at 67, I would probably make another $3 million, plus compound another $2-3 million on current savings I wouldn't need to spend.

How's THAT for not being frugal?

And yet how many of us aspire to such a thing?
That is certainly a great extravagant decision.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

My car wore out, so I bought a used luxury car to replace it.

Later this week we leave for 3 months on the Gulf Coast of Florida.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
goodlifer

Post by goodlifer »

DrGoogle2017 wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:44 am

Our Costco had some beautiful prime ones this year. I usually serve one for New Year's Eve but our daughter will be going to her first NYE party and it will be just the two of us. No sense doing all that cooking for 2, so I served it for Christmas.

Had to delete my extravagant thing since it wasn't done today. My extravagance is sleeping late and puttering around the house today instead of cleaning it.
frugalmama

Post by frugalmama »

For us it is our house (we could never get a loan for our house on our current income as we make 1/3 to 1/4 of what we did previously) but we did not want to move due to the fact that we like our home, school, and community and the fact that we don't owe that much on our home at this point.

We also take very expensive long vacations (not per person as we have a large family) but the totals would make most people frown, especially on our income.

Those are things that we live for though...we are happy to eat beans and rice (cheaply) and buy 2nd hand in order to explore the globe.
Rus In Urbe

Post by Rus In Urbe »

After a lifetime of Frugality (mostly), with retirement coming up and paid for and then some, no debts and no mortgage, we splurged on a gorgeous brick driveway and patio that wraps around the (LCOL) house, along with a fountain, both costing about half of what the house did. Probably a terrible financial decision in terms of getting all of it back out of the sales price for the house, but that transaction is a couple decades away. And since we garden like maniacs and prefer home to travel, I haven't regretted one penny of it as I sit under the umbrella enjoying the view. Extravagant, yes. And it floats my boat.
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money. ~Pablo Picasso
SundayMorning

Post by SundayMorning »

Max out my 401K and our Roth IRA's. I do not know anyone in real life that does that... :D
Just keeping up with the Joneses my virtual Bogleheads!