Simple Strength Building Resistance Band Workout

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
BashDash

Simple Strength Building Resistance Band Workout

Post by BashDash »

Hi all!

Since the spring I have been trying to get in shape via bodyweight exercises. I have really enjoyed it and stayed with it. I just purchased some resistance bands and am looking to build some upper body strength and my core. Am looking for a 3 day workout that is hopefully simple of maybe 3-4 exercises. I took out a few books on the bodyweight exercises and was easily overwhelmed with the amount. I know I will only stick with a few simple moves that I can hopefully complete in 30 minutes or so. Thanks!!!!
leo383

Re: Simple Strength Building Resistance Band Workout

Post by leo383 »

Have you looked at YouTube?

Search "beginning resistance band workout".
GAAP

Post by GAAP »

I am not a fitness trainer, but I have been working out since elementary school (I'm retired now), and taught martial arts for 20 years. Consider the following in that context.

There are fundamentally six basic upper body and two basic lower body movements that directly target the major muscle groups and also use most of the smaller muscles. You can push away from your upper body in three directions: forward, down, up. You can pull toward your body in the same three directions. You can use the front of your legs to push with or the back of the legs to pull with. In addition to that, you should also consider the core muscles (abdominals and obliques).

Bands can easily add resistance to some of the push movements, pulling can be more difficult if you have no other equipment, but can be improvised.

Pushing movements for the upper body can be done with pushups (forward), bench/chair dips (down, not with bands), overhead press with bands.

Pulling movements for the upper body can be done with pullups (down, perhaps from garage rafters), inverted rows (try hands on a table, or a broomstick between two stools), and a banded equivalent of a simple dumbbell raise.

For the lower body, unilateral (single-leg) exercises will provide more resistance, while improving balance, and mitigating any strength differences. Split squats will handle both movements, depending upon how far apart you place your feet. Loop the band under the front foot, grab the ends, and keep your hands near your shoulders to provide resistance.

Planks and side planks will handle the core for most people.

To build strength,start easy, add resistance once you can do eight repetitions with good form and feel like you could do nine. Do three sets of each exercise with some rest intervals between sets. Multiple bands can be used at the same time to increase resistance, and a variety of band strengths will provide a variety of potential resistance levels. If you find some of the bodyweight exercises are too difficult (pullups for example), you can use the bands to assist by reducing the amount of bodyweight to move.

For a pure bodyweight alternative, do a web search for bodyweight progression -- http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/exerci ... ns_12.html has a decent one for example. If you get really serious (or extreme) about it, there's a list of exercises to explore at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing.

For a lot more details about fitness, see https://exrx.net/. The organization of that site is awkward at times, but there is a wealth of information. I suggest you start with their "Beginning Exercise" page https://exrx.net/Beginning.
“Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own.” ― Bruce Lee
Topic Author
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Gasp this is exactly the help I was looking for thanks so much! Let me get busy reading. The bands arrive Sunday!
LISD

Post by LISD »

GAAP, simple explanation and good info, thanks.

Why doesn't the google.doc cover down motions (push down for example). They use 'vertical/horizontal' terminology (2 directions), instead of 3 directions (fwd, down, up).
tm3

Post by tm3 »

You might want to take a look at Lifeline Fitness

https://www.lifelinefitness.com/pages/training-videos

I've used some of the videos for their "TNT cable system" and they are really good at providing an effective workout in a relatively short period of time.

I think that their TNT cable system is quality stuff, but the videos could be applied to any kind of resistance band.
Topic Author
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Just completed a basic workout from start bodyweight website. Exactly what I need. Done in the basement. Perfect for me with one newborn and two other kids running around the house. Thanks GAAP. That website is like bogleheads for fitness. Super simple.
GAAP

Post by GAAP »

LISD wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:33 pm GAAP, simple explanation and good info, thanks.

Why doesn't the google.doc cover down motions (push down for example). They use 'vertical/horizontal' terminology (2 directions), instead of 3 directions (fwd, down, up).
It actually does, It has "Vertical Push", and then subcategories of "Down" and "Up". It also adds the rather limited category of pulling from behind you. What they don't show is the pulling from below movement, probably because it is difficult to isolate those muscles with just bodyweight -- although they certainly get worked with more advanced movements.

The document itself was developed/modified by a reddit group that is quite dedicated to bodyweight fitness. The high-performance end of bodyweight is very much like olympic-class gymnastics, so much of what shows on that document is likely beyond what most people need or desire.
“Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own.” ― Bruce Lee
ALinLI

Post by ALinLI »

I use resistance bands at home , i really enjoy workout videos from HasFit. I have been training for 30+ years. Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18hPypKsQ8w
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

I may have to try this.

I have been doing daily pushups, about 120 - 150 /day in sets of 20's, 25's, 30's.
Now I think I'm dealing with early carpal tunnel.
Maybe this is what I should be working out with.
Topic Author
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Hi ! OP here. I've really been reading the details of this plan. Quick question. I am having trouble with some of the progression from this poster on the link. I don't have the ability in my house to hang my legs from a stairs or bar. Should I just modify the progressions. Mostly the pull exercises are the ones I speak of. Should I just be creative? I also have resistance bands.

http://www.startbodyweight.com/2014/01/ ... r.html?m=1
dogbones

Post by dogbones »

BashDash wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:56 am Hi all!

Since the spring I have been trying to get in shape via bodyweight exercises. I have really enjoyed it and stayed with it. I just purchased some resistance bands and am looking to build some upper body strength and my core. Am looking for a 3 day workout that is hopefully simple of maybe 3-4 exercises. I took out a few books on the bodyweight exercises and was easily overwhelmed with the amount. I know I will only stick with a few simple moves that I can hopefully complete in 30 minutes or so. Thanks!!!!
Few things (from an exercise science perspective and not knowing your personal history):
- great job on getting it going! bodyweight exercises is a great start
- Resistance training is one of the best forms of exercise, especially as we age and I would recommend continuing that progress
- Be sure you are targeting EVERY muscle group in the body throughout the week. Muscle imbalances are a major cause of injury, alignment issues, etc. and truthfully in functional strength (and everyday life) you're using multiple groups for 1 task (ie lifting a grocery bag). Again, not knowing your situation... you could do upper body, lower body, fully body days - OR - full body 3x a week with rest in between if you are going for 3 days a week.
- ^ that advice leads me to my next advice: resistance bands are a good tool for warm-up, mobility, and other purposes but you could add some more tools to your toolbox so you can progress out of the bands and develop more strength. I recommend also looking into a TRX-type system as well (about $150-300 depending on what you get, I haven't looked lately). TRX allows you to develop stabilization endurance and strength to then be able to use that as a building block for more volume and training load while reducing the risk of injury. We use it for students and clients as a building block before adding free weights or more challenging exercises. Even better is that the bands and TRX are easy to store/pack for travel!
Topic Author
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Thanks DogBones I appreciate the idea. I had never heard of that ....seems like a pretty cool device to have in lieu of a workout membership! Thanks!
dogbones

Post by dogbones »

BashDash wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:07 pm Thanks DogBones I appreciate the idea. I had never heard of that ....seems like a pretty cool device to have in lieu of a workout membership! Thanks!
Sure! A bonus is that it gives you full access to their on-demand classes to follow as well