Is a 3 car garage really necessary?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
doss

Is a 3 car garage really necessary?

Post by doss »

We are building a new home. Hope to stay in it for about 15years, max. Then we sell and downsize once our 2 kids are gone.

With that said, we have the option to add a third garage to our new home. Currently, the house come standard with a 2 car garage that is about 22 x 21 feet. This is one of the many options we have to decide before they start building. Would be nice to get everything on our wish list, but we are unsure where to place this third car garage option on the list. The builder is charging 15k to add the third garage.

I know that this is an item that is best to do now vs later. But, do we really need the third car garage? When growing up, we just had 2 car garage and parked the third car on the driveway -- but we were a family of 5, not 4. I want to avoid having a reason to store additional junk if we go with the 3 car route, but I can see it being a good place for bikes, lawn mower, etc...and we have a small lot that wont' require much maintenance, so limited yard tools. We do have a large unfinished basement that can store additional items, as well.

Is a three car garage one of the "must have" items for today's homeowner ?
“ The long-term 9%-10% nominal return of the stock market INCLUDES the crashes.” — calvin+hobbs
makingmistakes

Re: Is a 3 car garage really necessary?

Post by makingmistakes »

I think it would be worth it simply from a resale perspective if nothing else. Personally, even though have just 2 car, I’d love having the extra space for bikes, etc.
BlueCable

Post by BlueCable »

I would never consider going back to a two car garage unless I had a similarly convenient solution for bikes, lawn mowers, gardening items, tools, trash containers, kayaks.....

Even if you don't need it, you are limiting your buyer pool when you are ready to sell. Depending on where you live and the price range, 3-car garage is on the Must Have list for many buyers.

In my area, new construction is likely to have 4-car garages in many neighborhoods.
Last edited by BlueCable on Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

doss wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:03 am Is a three car garage one of the "must have" items for today's homeowner ?
Three is the minimum - his, hers, and toys. Check other homes in the area. Today's McMansions must have more of everything.

Where I live, if you don't have a 4 car garage, at least one (and preferably two) home office, a she shed, a man cave, an exercise room and a media room, then it's basically the same as a shack.
I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs.
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

Yes. I have two car garage for 2 cars. Nothing else fits there. It is tight. You can't put in there law mower, snow blower and spare winter tires just fit. Now
tvubpwcisla

Post by tvubpwcisla »

It's great for space even if you don't have three vehicles.
onourway

Post by onourway »

Depends on how you want to use the space. Yes, it could just be used for storing junk. On the other hand, we have garage space for 4+ cars, but only actually park one car inside. But we have an entire 2-bay garage space that is finished and climate controlled where we have exercise equipment, ping pong and other games, work benches, etc. that we use every day.

We also have plenty of other non-garage space for storage of outdoor furniture/yard tools/etc.
Last edited by onourway on Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
2Scoops

Post by 2Scoops »

Our house has a 2 car garage and every day wish it were larger. We don't even park our cars in it 95% of the time and use half of it for a home gym. Next house will be 3+. It all depends on how you are going to use.

Where will kids toys, your toys, lawn equipment, seasonal items go?
Dude2

Post by Dude2 »

I'm being charged $12,000 for my 3-car for a new house I'm getting built. I live in a med-low cost of living area in FL, so just for reference if that helps.

I was also surprised that it didn't seem to add very much to the footprint of the house. In other words, I pictured an additional, say, 8-10 feet of garage stuck out from the original 2-car garage floorplan. It only seemed to add a "stick-out" of maybe 4 additional feet. Therefore, it seemed very natural versus not aesthetically pleasing.

I plan to use it for workshop/storage versus putting another car in it, and I hope it actually gives me more room for my two cars. I imagine actually cramming 3 cars in there would be a nightmare -- in this case probably need a 3.5 car garage. Therefore, I feel it is a no-brainer. Worst part for me was that this caused a rearchitecting of the plans which have to be resubmitted to the city and incur additional time delays. The city in my case determines how to lay out the house on the property given the factors, and so increasing the size of the house footprint can actually cause them to reconsider how the house should be placed on the lot.
Then ’tis like the breath of an unfee’d lawyer.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

We had a zero car garage in our old house. The house was built in 1920 and the garage was tiny, too small to fit a big modern car if you had a snowblower and lawnmower to store. It was in NJ and the cleaning of cars after a snowstorm was a drag.

Our house in MA has a large 3 car garage with room behind one of the bays to store a tractor (which we don’t have). What a relief to not have to clear a foot or more snow off the cars. The kids appreciate having a bay for their car when they visit. I consider it a standard now.

I would get the extra bay.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

If I could snap my fingers and change two things about our house (which we love), it would be to replace the above-ground pool with an inground, and add a 3rd garage stall. But not in that order.

I would pay the $15k without blinking an eye.
Slacker

Post by Slacker »

What other options would you consider instead with that $15,000?

Our current house only has a 2 car garage and a very tiny kitchen. Our previous house had both a large kitchen and 3 car garage. I miss the large kitchen much more than the 3 car garage.
TJat

Post by TJat »

Yep. We have a “modern” two car garage, meaning that with nothing in the garage, you can fit two cars in so that their doors either hit each other or you’re pinned in the car by a support pole 6 inches from your door.

Given that we have 4 bikes, tool storage, and a snowblower (in the winter), we park in our driveway. Big snowstorms is probably try to park one of the cars inside.
h82goslw

Post by h82goslw »

Built my house 19 years ago. Had a 3 car in the plans from the beginning. Then costs started adding up and I got nervous. Decided to remove the 3rd bay and just go with 2 car garage to save money. Still kicking myself to this day.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

Definitely! You'll have space for two cars and a spare for bikes/lawn equipment/etc.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

2 cars + a junk drawer. This is clearly the US standard now. I personally think it’s ridiculous, but I know my tenants disagree. For resale value, get the third bay.
For entertainment purposes only.
2Scoops

Post by 2Scoops »

I’ll expand my thoughts a bit:

In my 2-car garage I gave no thought to the layout during the building process. DW and I spent so much time thinking about every square inch of the living space that we paid no mind to the garage. So, having a 2 or 3 car garage makes a difference but the optimal layout plays a role too in how much truly usable space you will have.

Some things I would think about in the next house:

- Where do the hot water tank and HVAC go if applicable? What is optimal placement to provide the most usable space.
- We put a tub sink in the garage which I highly recommend. Where is the best placement?
- If you are going to have a workbench, where would you put it and how does that impact the other space?
- Finishing off the garage - drywall, seams sanded down, painted perhaps if you want a more finished look. Most builders leave this pretty rough.
- Do you want it climate controlled? We added a mini-split later.
- If you need additional storage, consider putting in overhead storage right away. It’s pretty inexpensive and lots of options.
- is a stained garage floor going to bother you? Consider doing an epoxy flooring (by a professional, not the ones from big box stores)

Anyhow, just sharing my experiences. I will put a lot more time and energy in to thinking about the garage layout on my next build.
CloudNine33

Post by CloudNine33 »

Building a house right now and the garage will be 38' wide x 35' deep. Two 12' wide garage doors rather than three 8' wide doors. Also building a second garage 40x60' with two 14' wide black tinted polycarbonate garage doors. We had a three car garage in a house we owned briefly 15 years ago and next house went back down to a 2 car garage and hated it. We are garage parkers and when designing the new house I said I want a giant garage and be able to pull in both cars and open all the doors fully without hitting anything and still have room for snowblower, bikes, etc. Our second garage will be heated/air conditioned with tons of space for extra cars, toys, tractor and one corner a decked out man cave area.
egrets

Post by egrets »

JoeRetire wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:12 am
doss wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:03 am Is a three car garage one of the "must have" items for today's homeowner ?
Three is the minimum - his, hers, and toys. Check other homes in the area. Today's McMansions must have more of everything.

Where I live, if you don't have a 4 car garage, at least one (and preferably two) home office, a she shed, a man cave, an exercise room and a media room, then it's basically the same as a shack.
Thank goodness I live in a neighborhood of shacks, not blots on the planet.
linuxizer

Post by linuxizer »

CloudNine33 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:47 amBuilding a house right now and the garage will be 38' wide x 35' deep. Two 12' wide garage doors rather than three 8' wide doors. Also building a second garage 40x60'
3,730 square feet of garage? That’s a barn or something. Or a very nice woodshop….
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

For me, with kids, I would not buy a house unless it had a 3 car garage, really, I wish I had a 18 car garage, plus 2 RV stalls, 1 stall for each member of the family, plus boats, off road toys, my metal shop, my wood shop, my auto bay, utility storage, lawn chair beer area...etc.
Last edited by Kagord on Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
MadDwag

Post by MadDwag »

$63 a month on a 30 year mortgage—small price to pay to keep the hoa off my back about where my garbage cans are stored, having a place to put my kids’ bikes, room for that future golf cart…
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

Is it necessary? Absolutely not.

However, if it exists as an option, it will likely help the retail value down the line.
oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy »

My ideal retirement home would be a small, 2 bedroom ranch with a 3 car garage and a very large shed/barn/outbuilding in the back. Definitely add the 3rd stall.
Hoosier CPA

Post by Hoosier CPA »

22x21 is tight for a 2 car garage. It in the past it was more like 24 x 24. We have a "3" car garage, but it is 20 x 30. I'm not sure how anyone would fit 3 cars in it with kids around and all the bikes, etc. I'd upgrade if you plan to keep 2 cars in it.
260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb »

Yes, absolutely build it with a three car garage and be disciplined not to save and store junk. This is a decision you will never regret.
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

oldfatguy wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:18 am My ideal retirement home would be a small, 2 bedroom ranch with a 3 car garage and a very large shed/barn/outbuilding in the back. Definitely add the 3rd stall.
+1 Absolutely!
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

egrets wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:48 am
JoeRetire wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:12 am

Thank goodness I live in a neighborhood of shacks, not blots on the planet.
Same here, at least for now.

I live in a beach community. The zoning laws have a maximum height. So as older homes are purchased and torn down. 3-story McMansions replace them. Eventually, a 4 car garage will be considered sufficient only for a "starter home".
toomanysidehustles

Post by toomanysidehustles »

doss wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:03 am
I wouldn't skimp on the 3-car. In fact if I were to do it over again, go for the premium insulated garage doors (R-13 or better) and fully insulate the garage. We ended up doing this later. Next house I build (if ever) I will make it a 4-car and add a floor drain (we live in Colorado).
tm3

Post by tm3 »

doss wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:03 am We are building a new home. Hope to stay in it for about 15years, max. Then we sell and downsize once our 2 kids are gone.

With that said, we have the option to add a third garage to our new home. Currently, the house come standard with a 2 car garage that is about 22 x 21 feet. This is one of the many options we have to decide before they start building. Would be nice to get everything on our wish list, but we are unsure where to place this third car garage option on the list. The builder is charging 15k to add the third garage.

I know that this is an item that is best to do now vs later. But, do we really need the third car garage? When growing up, we just had 2 car garage and parked the third car on the driveway -- but we were a family of 5, not 4. I want to avoid having a reason to store additional junk if we go with the 3 car route, but I can see it being a good place for bikes, lawn mower, etc...and we have a small lot that wont' require much maintenance, so limited yard tools. We do have a large unfinished basement that can store additional items, as well.

Need? No. My family did not have a garage at all while I was growing up and I did fine.

Desirable? IMO, yes. Extra garage space is a very handy thing to have, and big bang for the buck.

I would not stop at 3. I'd go 4 car.
EFF_fan81

Post by EFF_fan81 »

Counterpoint - This is unnecessary hedonic adaptation. We have a garage that can barely fit one car that we use to store stuff. Many of our neighbors have no garage and use a shed.

This is in a neighborhood of million dollar homes (usually small but tastefully renovated) in a tony school district close to a big city. Many in our neighborhood (inc. us) send their kids to private (frequently religious) schools anyways so money isn't the issue.

Two car garage is more than enough. Just park one car in the driveway and sell some of your unnecessary junk.
MarkerFM

Post by MarkerFM »

Not only would I go with the third bay, I would if possible have it built with three single doors, at least 9' wide, and plenty of space between the bays. Much easier to access vehicles and stuff.

Our previous main family home had this set-up and even with three cars inside did not feel cramped. Our current house, which we only use during the summer, has two 8 X 8 doors that are too tight to regularly park two SUVs inside, so they stay out all summer. Plenty of other storage space in that garage, but I really with the doors were wider. Glad it is not a double door though.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

EFF_fan81 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:04 am This is unnecessary hedonic adaptation.
Isn't all hedonic adaptation unnecessary by definition?
Two car garage is more than enough. Just park one car in the driveway and sell some of your unnecessary junk.
I agree (we have two cars and a 1-car garage).

But most folks who post this sort of question are really just looking for affirmation of a decision they have already made. They don't actually want to know if it's "necessary" since the answer to that question is obvious.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

There are "pseudo" 3 car garages with one very large door and one tiny door fit for a "Geo Metro", golf cart, or Smart car. (silly door).
And, then, there are "real 3 car garages" that fit 3 normal cars or 2 full size trucks (F-150, Tundra, etc.) and a chevy camaro.

Reasons for having a "real" 3 car garage.

Own 3 real cars or trucks.
Convenience for storage, equipment, workshop area, etc.
Like walk in closets and kitchen pantries, more is better.

"Necessary" is an interpretive word. So, zillions of opinions.

Reasons for not having a "real" 3 car garage.
Not enough money to build it.
Does not fit in the design appearance of the home. (interpretive)
You never experience, "I shoulda", "If only", "It would've been nice if only we had. . . ".

Planning to downsize or move after the children move away. . . is never a sure thing.
You might plan to stay and love the home and its memories
etc
etc.

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

Do it!

Had a single car garage and built a 4 car garage (2 cars wide, 2 cars deep) and the 4 car really only holds 1 car. Why? KIDS! Powerwheels, scooters, toys, more powerwheels, hoverboards, sporting equipment, drink fridge, golf cart, the list goes on and on.

Planning a detached 2 car now for the rear of my property that will only house my stuff!

I get the not hording junk, but having the space keeps all your stuff spread out, not stacked on top of eachother. I cringe every time I drive by someones house with the garage door open and see mountains of junk stacked to the ceiling.

If you do a double garage door on 2 of the bays go with a 18', not the standard 16'. Doesn't cost much more and having that 2' makes parking two vehicles next to eachother much easier.
Last edited by ddurrett896 on Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Do you live in a climate where a garage is necessary? None of the houses in our neighborhood have a garage (these are all $1MM homes now), and I've never lived in a house with one, so even a two car seems like a huge waste of square footage. Why not just park on the street and have more yard space if the lot is small as you said?
athan

Post by athan »

The flexibility is worth it. We have a 3 car garage and it is worth it for the extra space to do whatever is needed.
Dude2

Post by Dude2 »

JoeRetire wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:08 am
EFF_fan81 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:04 am This is unnecessary hedonic adaptation.

But most folks who post this sort of question are really just looking for affirmation of a decision they have already made. They don't actually want to know if it's "necessary" since the answer to that question is obvious.
Life isn't the same for everybody. We have roving gangs in our area that walk neighborhoods at night trying car doors for cars left on the street or in the driveways. There is ample Ring doorbell evidence of this all the time.
Next, particular circumstances preclude the ability to build other external storage such as a shed -- HOAs for example, or just no land for it. Thus, larger garage makes sense = is not a luxury but a practical solution to a set of circumstances.
Already discussed is that what we now call a standard 2 car garage isn't enough for 2 cars ==> need a 3 car garage to store 2 cars, for example. All of this is in the solution space of the discussion. Driveway/street may not be an option.
Then ’tis like the breath of an unfee’d lawyer.
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

"Necessary" is a funny word. Most people can live without a simple carport, but most people don't want to.

I'd be curious how much the house you're building costs. Today, I'd assume at least $400k for new construction, so you're probably talking 3% or less increase in the home's price. I would imagine this new place is more than $400k.

Assuming you're not in the middle of an urban area where people walk. I can almost guarantee you that NOT having it will impact your resale by more than 3% (assuming you're not in some urban area with lots of public transit).

Part of what makes a 3 car garage a "requirement" for new construction is that if you don't do it now, adding an attached 3rd space generally isn't super practical. Doable, just not great.

Lots of buyers when you resell will have a 3 car garage as a requirement.
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

Anyone who spends more than me is wasteful.
Anyone who spends less than me is a miser.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I'm torn on how I'd answer, knowing how some people have a 3 car garage near me and stuff them with so much rubble that all the cars are outside. I'll list the pros and cons I can think of.

Pros: You can have workspace in the garage with a workbench and tool storage in a tool chest and on pegboards (I have this)
If you can have the ceiling higher, do it and you can have a lift put into one of the bays of the garage (I have this)
For the near nothing cost, why not build bigger. 24 feet deep or 36? Mine is 24x36 and I also have a 12x20 shed to store wheels/tires, bikes and my Jeep's hard top.
Your cost is really, really cheap. I had an estimate to add a small 24x24 2 car attached garage with a 10x10 mud room in between (my present garage is detached) and the estimated cost is $125k. I probably paid nearly $15k for my shed, come to think of it.
If you decide to buy a fun car, you have a place for it. I have owned fun cars (and prepared roadrace cars) and having extra space is always welcome. During one of our kids birthday parties, we had lots of cars coming and I was able to fit 6 cars in the garage before we had the lift. With the lift, I can fit 5.

Cons: If you don't build it and later need a shed for the mower, tools and spare tires, maybe you live in an HOA and they won't allow a shed. I don't know...I've never lived in an HOA. Oh wait. I guess that's a con for not building it.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
greg24

Post by greg24 »

You should absolutely do it. I'd love to add a third stall for $15k.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

We live in a +55 gated community and have a 3rd connected space in our garage with its own garage door opener. It's smaller because it's meant to be used for a golf cart. Our community doesn't have a golf course but nearly everyone has a cart.

In that vein, I would opt for the 3 car garage for the reasons previously stated. Use it for whatever you want while the kids live there, then when they move out use it to house a golf cart. We had an older golf cart at our last house and conveyed it with the sale to attract more buyers. We'll be getting a new one this year to explore the many cart paths in the area that skirt several lakes.

Since you're in the planning stage of your new build, and are concerned about stockpiling junk in the garage, you might want to consider stairs up from the garage to a storage area above it unless that area is planned for additional living space. Living space above a garage can be noisy, but if it's used for storage, noise is not a problem. If you must stockpile junk, with storage space above the garage at least you won't have to look at it.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Dude2 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:24 am Life isn't the same for everybody. We have roving gangs in our area that walk neighborhoods at night trying car doors for cars left on the street or in the driveways. There is ample Ring doorbell evidence of this all the time.
Next, particular circumstances preclude the ability to build other external storage such as a shed -- HOAs for example, or just no land for it. Thus, larger garage makes sense = is not a luxury but a practical solution to a set of circumstances.
Already discussed is that what we now call a standard 2 car garage isn't enough for 2 cars ==> need a 3 car garage to store 2 cars, for example. All of this is in the solution space of the discussion. Driveway/street may not be an option.
Got it. You view a 3+ car garage as "necessary".
And some view a man cave, she shed, media room, multiple home offices, all as "necessary".

I've watched HGTV on occasion...
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

Go with the 3 garages - as long as the 3rd garage goes with the rest of your house - as in it doesn't make the garage space dwarf your house or look like a "stick on" section of the house. It sounds like there are already 3 car garage houses being built in the subdivision. So, I'm guessing the "plans" for the OP's house are based on the 3 car garage houses and that a 3rd garage being added will not "look weird".

In newly built subdivisions - a 2 car garage houses will become like the 1 car garage houses built in the 40's and 50's.

I'm an avid reader of "McMansion Hell" - which also goes over the history of housing in America - and which I hopes explains the "looks weird" comment.
I am assuming you are building a large house - and not a "McMansion". There is a difference. I am not a fan of large houses (even the architecturally better ones.)

That said, it is inevitable that newly built houses will come with 3 and 4 car garages. Garages are often used more for storage of "stuff" than to actually store cars. People these days have more than one car per person who lives in a house.
Last edited by LittleMaggieMae on Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

sureshoe wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:27 am

Anyone who spends more than me is wasteful.
Anyone who spends less than me is a miser.
Anyone can spend whatever they like, as far as I'm concerned.
I do see a lot of "I really want to and plan to do this anyway, so everyone please confirm my existing plans" "question" posts.

It's almost as if posters feel guilty about it...

Maybe it's me. Maybe it's the economy. Seems like more of it recently.

Personally, I'd just go with the 3 car garage. But I wouldn't post it as an "is it necessary" question.
Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 »

Last year we moved, and went from a 2 car to a 3 car garage. I'm grateful for a 3 car, as we use it for storage and our trash and recycling cans. Our goal is to keep it clean enough to fit a car though, as we will likely get a third car when the kids start driving. I see a lot of neighbors that keep their 3rd bay entirely for storage.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Necessary? We have a one-car carport, so obviously not.

However, we would both love to have a three-car garage. Not enough to add one to our existing home or to move to a new home though. Our carport will continue to house one car, a riding lawnmower, various yard tools, etc. But it sure would be nice ...
Californiastate

Post by Californiastate »

We always parked at least 2 vehicles in the garage. It's safer and they aren't 130F in the summer. Our third garage is for motorcycles, workbench, exercise equipment and stuff. An old friend of mine has 3- 2 car garages and a large RV garage. The large RV garage with second floor, full bath, kitchen , work benches, vehicle lift with full AC isn't necessary but it sure is nice.
We had the builder raise the 3rd car garage door opening to 8 feet. I wish we would have raised the double door too.
Last edited by Californiastate on Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Necessary, no. I get by without a garage, just a shed for all of my tools, lawn stuff &c. Desirable, it seems like it is, so go ahead and do it now and avoid the second guessing and extra expenses and inconvenience later. The folks that I know who had garages built later, almost without exception underestimated the size, so go for it.
“To be a Virginian either by Birth, Marriage, Adoption, or even on one’s Mother’s side, is an Introduction to any State in the Union, a Passport to any Country, and a Benediction from Above.”—Anonymous