Visible cell service

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Wenonah

Visible cell service

Post by Wenonah »

If you are using Visible, do you love it? I read on one thread that service can get "throttled back" but on other websites they hadn't noticed it. Does anyone here have several months or years of Visible use and give some general feedback? Thanks.
locke1141

Re: Visible cell service

Post by locke1141 »

This may be unhelpful, but I had Visible from end of 2017 up until last month. I only stopped it because I moved internationally. There were occasional moments when it felt a bit slow, but it was at times you would expect, e.g. big sporting events. Otherwise I never had a problem with the network and was playing $40 for unlimited which I thought was reasonable.
Ostentatious

Post by Ostentatious »

My whole family has been on visible for over 3 years or so. The service is good. I have never had any major issues with it. Yes, there is that occasional periods where the service appears slow, but I also experienced that with postpaid ATT service as well. The biggest problem for is that I am on a 5G phone, but I don't receive the 5G service in several places. I guess that should be expected but it doesn't bother me since I only pay $25 per month per phone.
Pixafari

Post by Pixafari »

We’ve been with Visible for about two years. Occasionally we do experience a slowdown but nothing too bad. To us it’s worth the infrequent annoyances to get the low price. Also very important to us is support for mobile hotspot and wifi calling. Where we live and travel, the Verizon network gives great coverage. Unless something changes for the worse, we’ll stick with Visible.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Been using it for over 2 years - we pay $25/mo as we have a person we know who joined our group. I can compare as I have a work phone with "real" Verizon package. I really have seen no difference, be it local or on vacation. If we did, I would have complaints by the troops.

I'm sure there are cases where speeds are (noticably) throttled, location is most likely a big driver.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
hmw

Post by hmw »

I have been using Visible about 2 years. Paying $25/month. I have been generally happy with its service.
Afty

Post by Afty »

I've only been using Visible for 2 weeks, but I've had two situations now where the data speeds have dropped to unusable -- one at a mall and one at a crowded Target store. I'm going to give it a couple more months, but it's not a great first impression.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

I recommend Visible only as a cheap way to get an iPhone (with their promos, e.g. $200 gift card plus free AirPod Pros), and they unlock after the 3rd payment. However, in my experience the throttling is really bad, and significantly worse than I've ever experienced with Mint Mobile. So as soon as the promo period is up I'm going back to Mint (already purchased their kit using their promo, which is 6 mos for the price of 3).

I recently compared Visible with T-Mobile prepaid on my iPhone 13 (by using the eSIM for T-Mobile). At a variety of locations in Southern California, T-Mobile was often 5x to 10x the speed - not a typo - and in some cases Visible was unusable despite getting a strong signal. I was impressed by how many places now have T-Mobile's midband 5G service (shows as "5G UC" on iPhone), which is much more useful than Verizon's much-hyped mmWave 5G, which is essentially useless given how little range it has.
Last edited by 02nz on Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Random Musings wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:59 am Been using it for over 2 years - we pay $25/mo as we have a person we know who joined our group.
Visible's "Party Pay" is now as easy as joining an large group right in the app, no longer need to find family/friends or go on Reddit for this, and the groups are no longer capped at 4.
gotlost33

Post by gotlost33 »

Been using Visible for close to a year now and mostly happy. Over the past 2 months we have noticed a dropoff in service at our home that was notably worse for DWs phone leading to us recently switching her over to Mint to try an alternative. My phone has been decent still (perhaps the different antennae bands between our phone models) so I am pretty happy with the $25/mo price and unlimited data. We travel a fair amount in the US and had good service through the midwest this year (aside from the North end of the Door Peninsula, WI).
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

Have used them for a bit over two years. My only complaint — which may not have anything to do with them — is that my iPhone doesn’t reliably connect to Wi-fi for voice. Sometimes have to toggle the antennae off and on to force the connection.

No complaints about cellular data speeds, but I’m not someone that pushes the limits since I’m almost always connected to wi-if.
jarhead

Post by jarhead »

My family have used Visible for about 3 years now and in general are happy with the service. On rare occasions the phone shows no service and that's when I toggle the airplane mode on/off.
Afty

Post by Afty »

Afty wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:32 pm I've only been using Visible for 2 weeks, but I've had two situations now where the data speeds have dropped to unusable -- one at a mall and one at a crowded Target store. I'm going to give it a couple more months, but it's not a great first impression.
It’s now been two more weeks, and I’m happier with Visible now. I haven’t had any more instances of noticeable deprioritization. Coverage is at least as good as my old AT&T postpaid service. It’s nice not to have to think about data use.
DinkinFlicka

Post by DinkinFlicka »

I moved from ATT Postpaid to Visible for about 4 months now. Service has been usable but noticeably lower in quality than ATT Postpaid. Sometimes pages are slower to load (or take a while to even start loading). It's hard to quantify, but I rarely noticed when internet on my phone didn't work with ATT Postpaid and I can regularly notice issues with Visible. Visible's coverage map also lists 5G coverage everywhere I use the service, but 80% of the time my phone only picks up LTE. My wife notices the same (and also has issues with internet). We are both using iPhones within the last 2 generations. We don't live in a high population area but large enough that I wouldn't consider it rural (large college town in the midwest).

For $25/month, we are accepting the quality of the service.
Makefile

Post by Makefile »

I have also had it for three years. It's ok, get what you pay for, but I am a touch typist and therefore find smartphone interfaces super slow and frustrating, and so I am not a heavy user of mobile apps.

I had some total drop-outs in service in Appalachian areas, rural but not the middle of nowhere, as well as in the mountains around Denver. That may have improved since as towers were upgraded to 4G.

The customer service is useless, and there is no statement provided if the service is reimbursable by anyone else and you need to submit bills. The monthly email notifications do look professional enough if you print to pdf.
MadDwag

Post by MadDwag »

I have some issues while traveling for work, but then I remember I’m only paying $25 a month and don’t need to worry about data caps or anything like that. Overall been ok for me and the Mrs. for a few years now.
msi

Post by msi »

When you experience a slowdown on Visible, does it become literally unusable, like you can't even check your email, request an Uber, etc.? Or it's just slow meaning that videos or music will buffer?
feehater

Post by feehater »

msi wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:26 am When you experience a slowdown on Visible, does it become literally unusable, like you can't even check your email, request an Uber, etc.? Or it's just slow meaning that videos or music will buffer?
In my experience it becomes literally unusable. I’ve only had it slowdown twice in 6 months but one time I was driving through and stopped in Elkhart, IN and I couldn’t even get a simple web page or map to load and it made life more difficult.