Looking for the cheapest cell phone plan?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Looking for the cheapest cell phone plan?

Post by Vanguard User »

I am mostly in the Sugar Land, TX area. A suburb of Houston, TX. I don’t travel.

Currently, paying $45 + tax for unlimited talk, text and 4G data usage with Xfinity Mobile I have looked at other plans that are cheaper but my concern is how good of a service can I get when it comes to talk, text and especially data usage. I don’t want to buy a new phone. I have an iPhone 8.

Looking at my past 6 months history. My highest data usage was 6.40GB.

Is anyone here in Sugar Land/Houston, TX?
Last edited by Vanguard User on Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
02nz

Re: Looking for the cheapest cell phone plan?

Post by 02nz »

My top recommendations would be Mint Mobile, Visible, and US Mobile.

If T-Mobile coverage works for you, it's hard to beat Mint at $15/mo for 4GB, higher tiers available. After the first 3 mos you need to pay for a year to get the lowest price. Currently running a 6 mos for the price of 3 promo.

For unlimited, Visible (Verizon subsidiary) is the best value. $25/mo when you join "party pay" - it's really just a click in their app, no information shared with others in your "party." But data speeds are often significantly throttled. I know you said you're not looking for a new phone, but they have excellent promos on new iPhones.

US Mobile offers choice of T-Mobile or Verizon, and they may be the best value if you don't use much data and prefer to pay monthly. Their pooled plans can also work well if you have a family of low to moderate users.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

My wife has unlimited talk and text + 12 GB for a year for 199/ yr
through TracFone using this on her unlocked iPhone 11.

8 GB extra for $40 includes 30 days service. A bit cheaper to if you auto refill.

Unused data just keep accumulating.

If you don't use a lot of data, this amounts to 16.67 per month on average. There are no extra fees.

We found TracFone service to be excellent. In the Rockies, and in valleys in Utah we lost service, but it worked perfectly everywhere we have gone.

I like Google Fi, but it averages about twice as much, and I use less than 12 GB in a year. Fi was nice in that it just works in any European country, at the same cost for data, and that I can use it for a hot spot.
Last edited by MathWizard on Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

MathWizard wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:51 pm My wife has unlimited talk and text + 12 GB for a year for 199/ yr

8 GB extra for $40 includes 30 days service. A bit cheaper to if you auto refill.

If you don't use a lot of data, this amounts to 16.67 per month on average. There are no extra fees.

We found TracFone service to be excellent. In the Rockies, and in valleys in Utah we lost service, but not really anywhere else we have gone.

I like Google Fi, but it averages about twice as much, and I use less than 12 GB in a year.
My highest was 6.40GB in a month from past 6 months history.
shuresm7b1

Post by shuresm7b1 »

I'm on US Mobile with three Verizon compatible phones in a pool for $9.48 each per month with unlimited voice, text, and two gigs of data pooled. Extra data is $2 a gigabyte
02nz

Post by 02nz »

MathWizard wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:51 pm My wife has unlimited talk and text + 12 GB for a year for 199/ yr

We found TracFone service to be excellent. In the Rockies, and in valleys in Utah we lost service, but not really anywhere else we have gone.

I like Google Fi, but it averages about twice as much, and I use less than 12 GB in a year.
Mint's current promo comes to $7.5/mo for the first six months, and you get 4GB each month. T-Mobile's coverage has improved dramatically, in denser areas it's often superior to AT&T and Verizon, esp. with newer phones that support bands particular to T-Mobile.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Vanguard User wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:53 pm

Then go with Mint Mobile's 6GB/mo plan and it comes to $10/mo for the first 6 mos. The TracFone plan quoted above only gives you 12 GB for an entire year, not per month.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

02nz wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:55 pm

Mint's current promo comes to $7.5/mo for the first six months, and you get 4GB each month. T-Mobile's coverage has improved dramatically, in denser areas it's often superior to AT&T and Verizon, esp. with newer phones that support bands particular to T-Mobile.
I have gone over 4GB for 2 months. Max was 6.40GB in a month due last 6 months. Safe to say I need 7GB per month. I do watch live TV and YT on my phone. I have an iPhone 8.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

02nz wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:56 pm
Vanguard User wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:53 pm

Then go with Mint Mobile's 6GB/mo plan and it comes to $10/mo for the first 6 mos. The TracFone plan quoted above only gives you 12 GB for an entire year, not per month.
Mint maybe the best bargain for me.
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

The red pocket prepaid ebay plan is $240 for 360 days of service. Unlimited everything, plus 8GB/month of 5G/LTE data. $20/month isn't bad, and you can choose the verizon, att, or tmobile network. Since it's prepaid, there are no additional taxes or fees.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133058350672

If you want to dip your toes into the water first, they also have a monthly plan that's $30/month for 10GB of 5G data, unlimited everything, first month is just $10: https://www.redpocket.com/plans
If it works out, then buy into an annual plan

And it looks like they sell a yearly plan on their website for 10GB/month + unlimited everything for $228 (but a higher renewal price of $270): https://www.redpocket.com/plans/annual
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

random_walker_77 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:02 pm The red pocket prepaid ebay plan is $240 for 360 days of service. Unlimited everything, plus 8GB/month of 5G/LTE data. $20/month isn't bad, and you can choose the verizon, att, or tmobile network. Since it's prepaid, there are no additional taxes or fees.

If you want to dip your toes into the water first, they also have a monthly plan that's $30/month for 10GB of 5G data, unlimited everything, first month is just $10: https://www.redpocket.com/plans

And it looks like they sell a yearly plan on their website for 10GB/month + unlimited everything for $228 (but a higher renewal price of $270): https://www.redpocket.com/plans/annual
Red Pocket uses Sprint and the service isn’t too good on my mom’s iPhone 5S.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

Mint is the cheapest. But don't do it if you need reliable phone service (i.e. actually getting all your calls and being able to always make them).
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
random_walker_77

02nz wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:55 pm Mint's current promo comes to $7.5/mo for the first six months, and you get 4GB each month. T-Mobile's coverage has improved dramatically, in denser areas it's often superior to AT&T and Verizon, esp. with newer phones that support bands particular to T-Mobile.
They do seem to have really good intro pricing for the first 6 months. How are the renewal deals?
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

Beensabu wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:06 pm Mint is the cheapest. But don't do it if you need reliable phone service (i.e. actually getting all your calls and being able to always make them).
I am a big texter and less of a talker but still need decent service so both party can understand each other.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

random_walker_77 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:07 pm
02nz wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:55 pm Mint's current promo comes to $7.5/mo for the first six months, and you get 4GB each month. T-Mobile's coverage has improved dramatically, in denser areas it's often superior to AT&T and Verizon, esp. with newer phones that support bands particular to T-Mobile.
They do seem to have really good intro pricing for the first 6 months. How are the renewal deals?
Right. Depends on what’s offered after 6 months.
random_walker_77

Vanguard User wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:05 pm
random_walker_77 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:02 pm The red pocket prepaid ebay plan is $240 for 360 days of service. Unlimited everything, plus 8GB/month of 5G/LTE data. $20/month isn't bad, and you can choose the verizon, att, or tmobile network. Since it's prepaid, there are no additional taxes or fees.

For their ebay plans, you choose which sim to include, and they can put you on tmobile-sprint, or att, or verizon. It's your choice. (I'm on verizon w/ red pocket)

I'm assuming the plans on their website work the same way.
random_walker_77

It used to be that *the place* for mobile plan discussion was howard forums. I haven't looked there in ages, but it might be worth researching.
https://howardforums.com/forumdisplay.p ... discussion
02nz

Post by 02nz »

random_walker_77 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:07 pm
If you're willing to pay for a year, it works out to $15/20/25 for 4/10/15GB monthly.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Beensabu wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:06 pm Mint is the cheapest. But don't do it if you need reliable phone service (i.e. actually getting all your calls and being able to always make them).
I've had no issues. But with a one-week refund period and ability to port out, the risk is low in any case.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Vanguard User wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:05 pm

Sprint's network is being taken down, and your mom probably needed to get a T-Mobile SIM to maintain good coverage. Also, the 5S is old enough (8+ years) that it almost certainly doesn't support all of T-Mobile's bands.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

02nz wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:17 pm
I've had no issues. But with a one-week refund period and ability to port out, the risk is low in any case.
Doesn’t it depend on where you live.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

If over 55, the TMobile 55+ plan is hard to beat at $55/mo, 2 lines, unlimited text and data, plus international coverage.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

Vanguard User wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:11 pm
I am a big texter and less of a talker but still need decent service so both party can understand each other.
If the call connects, the quality is fine.

The main issue is not getting all your calls. For instance, having someone call for a phone interview and getting sent straight to VM while you're sitting there waiting for the phone to ring at the appointed time... Not great. Their support is all via chat and is very helpful, but it still takes 20 mins or so to get them to reset your connection when you run into the "Network Busy" issue that stops you from making calls. Don't trust their service map. See if anybody you know in your actual area uses Mint with no issues or not.
02nz wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:17 pm I've had no issues. But with a one-week refund period and ability to port out, the risk is low in any case.
Good for you. Mine didn't start until a few months into a 12-month plan. We're in the final countdown... lol.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
Bogle7

cheapest cell phone plan

Post by Bogle7 »

Move to India?
Mobile phone plans and phones are cheap.
"Jio’s new prepaid recharge plan will cost you just Rs 1!"
https://trak.in/tags/business/2021/12/1 ... -features/
Last edited by Bogle7 on Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Old fart who does three index funds, baby.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Re: cheapest cell phone plan

Post by Vanguard User »

Bogle7 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:19 am Move to India
Why?
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Vanguard User wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:28 pm I am mostly in the Sugar Land, TX area. A suburb of Houston, TX. I don’t travel.

Currently, paying $45 + tax for unlimited talk, text and 4G data usage with Xfinity Mobile I have looked at other plans that are cheaper but my concern is how good of a service can I get when it comes to talk, text and especially data usage. I don’t want to buy a new phone. I have an iPhone 8.

How's the service on Xfinity? Do you know people who have better experiences or trouble with the big 3 (Verizon, ATT or Tmobile)? Or any of the MVNO?

Is the phone carrier locked to Xfinity? First unlock it. Was it subsidized? If it's paid off, looks like 60 days is all it takes and you've got 6 months.

https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support/ ... ock-iphone
https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support/ ... lock-phone

Looks like Xfinity uses the Verizon network, so you might want to seek out or avoid MVNO on it.
Limoncello402

Post by Limoncello402 »

I use Ting. It is about $18.00/month.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

As far as I can tell, unlimited talk and text is available super cheap. Data is the big variable. Coverage for certain networks is spotty for some networks in some areas, but there are cheap MVNO options for all three of the major networks. If you know that Verizon, AT&T, or T-Mobile has poor coverage in your area you might want to limit shopping for service to providers that use whatever network is best in your area. Where I'm at, Verizon seems to have best over-all coverage, but the rest are good enough too (just a couple weak/dead spots at the edges of infrequently traveled areas.)

If you can look at your monthly average data usage, that's important for plan shopping. I set my phone to only allow updates over WiFi, I do most of my pod-cast downloading only over WiFi, and rarely use data for more than checking email and some light web browsing. A typical month for me is about 500mb, sometimes a little over, so a 1gb a month plan works great for me.
I use a pre-paid plan that's $99 a year for unlimited talk/text + 1gb/mo with an MVNO on T-mobile's network. The specific company I'm using no longer offers the plan I'm on, but https://www.libertywireless.com/Plans.php appears to offer the same plan for $100 a year
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

02nz wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:55 pm

My son used Mint, but was extremely disappointed. The coverage map included his area, but was not accurate.

You could try it and let family know whether it works.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Based on usage, Mint Mobile, 10GB plan. $240 for the year + taxes. That is the plan I am on. I usually use around 4-5GB/month, but when traveling will use more.

That gives you a data buffer.

Is your iPhone 8 factory unlocked, or was it specific to a carrier? A carrier version and a factory unlocked would have different band options.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
02nz

Post by 02nz »

MathWizard wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:20 am My son used Mint, but was extremely disappointed. The coverage map included his area, but was not accurate.

You could try it and let family know whether it works.
Cell coverage varies not only with area but also with device - as I noted earlier, you really need a newer device that supports all of T-Mobile's bands for best coverage. The OP has an iPhone 8, which unfortunately doesn't support all T-Mobile bands: https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/18/ip ... e-support/

In OP's situation I'd probably go with Visible, get an iPhone 13 and take advantage of the promos, and in 3 mos jump ship if the throttling is too much.
tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie »

Xfinity Mobile appears to operate on the Verizon network.

If you don't want to buy a new phone and aren't interested in any phone deals, then I would look for another Verizon MVNO (mobile virtual network operator), because it'd be more likely to provide the quality of coverage you're accustomed to and satisfied with. Worst-case scenario, if you're not pleased with the new carrier, you can always switch, including going back to Xfinity.

I recently discovered the plans at US Mobile and am going to try them out for a while. US Mobile operates on the Verizon network.

Two of the US Mobile plans include unlimited talk/text with 5 GB data ($15) or 12 GB data ($20). The $20 monthly plan sounds like it would fit your data needs.
robphoto

Post by robphoto »

On Red Pocket you can choose the network you want to use, including Verizon, ATT, and TMobile.

I did run into one hitch, where they said that they couldn't do a Samsung s9+ on Verizon, though my S10 works fine on their ATT service.

One issue: if you want to use T-Mobile, check the coverage in the places you're going to; they have some real major no-service areas in the boondocks.
zlandar

Post by zlandar »

Visible runs on VZN however it is deprioritized more than Xfinity. If you are in an area congested with VZN users you will get very slow data speeds. I notice a few areas where my speed drops (Costco). At home and >90% of the areas I have no issues.

It's $25/month included taxes/fees. It's easy to join a group of party pay to get the $25/month there is a huge party pay on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Visible/commen ... ase_go_to/

Everyone in a party pay is responsible for their own monthly bill and you can leave whenever. Only you can access your Visible account it's not like a family plan where there is one user who can manage all the other user accounts.

A major drawback of Visible is they only have customer service through chat. No stores or phone number to dial-in. If you want to port your phone number you will need to get your account number and PIN first(call Xfinity customer service for them, tell them it's for your own personal records if they ask why). Visible currently has a great deal on an iPhone 13 pro + $200 gift card + air pod Pro if you port in a number from a qualified carrier:

https://www.visible.com/shop/smartphone ... =MLTT3LL/A
Ependytis

Post by Ependytis »

I have an preowned iPhone 7. I believe it was around $140 and the service through tello is $14/month with 2 gigabytes of data and unlimited text and voice. To give you better input, we really need to know what you use the phone for. For example, if you’re looking for State of the Art camera than the iPhone 7 isn’t for you.
Last edited by Ependytis on Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

inbox788 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:35 am
Vanguard User wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:28 pm I am mostly in the Sugar Land, TX area. A suburb of Houston, TX. I don’t travel.

How's the service on Xfinity? Do you know people who have better experiences or trouble with the big 3 (Verizon, ATT or Tmobile)? Or any of the MVNO?

Is the phone carrier locked to Xfinity? First unlock it. Was it subsidized? If it's paid off, looks like 60 days is all it takes and you've got 6 months.

https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support/ ... ock-iphone
https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support/ ... lock-phone

Looks like Xfinity uses the Verizon network, so you might want to seek out or avoid MVNO on it.
It’s good but I want it at cheaper price. Paid off phone. Don’t want to go directly with big 3 as it is more expensive.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Vanguard User wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:12 pmIt’s good but I want it at cheaper price. Paid off phone. Don’t want to go directly with big 3 as it is more expensive.
With regard to comparing to the big 3, I'm referring to signal and call quality, not cost and service. When you use an MVNO, it's on the same network, so if you're happy with Verizon, seek out those like Vision. If ATT has poor signals, stay away from Cricket, H20, Black, etc. Some companies like Red Pocket or Tracfone family use all 3 and you get to choose what you think will work best for you.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

inbox788 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:20 pm
Vanguard User wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:12 pmIt’s good but I want it at cheaper price. Paid off phone. Don’t want to go directly with big 3 as it is more expensive.
With regard to comparing to the big 3, I'm referring to signal and call quality, not cost and service. When you use an MVNO, it's on the same network, so if you're happy with Verizon, seek out those like Vision. If ATT has poor signals, stay away from Cricket, H20, Black, etc. Some companies like Red Pocket or Tracfone family use all 3 and you get to choose what you think will work best for you.
Mint is also VZ.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Vanguard User wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:57 pmMint is also VZ.
No, it's T-mobile.

https://www.mintmobile.com/faqs/what-ne ... mobile-on/
Last edited by inbox788 on Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

inbox788 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:21 pm
No, it's T-mobile.
I am not sure if the service will be good at my place.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Vanguard User wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:23 pm
No, it's T-mobile.
Get the free 7 day trial and find out.
Rdytoretire

Post by Rdytoretire »

No, it's T-mobile.
Your service will be fine.

https://www.mintmobile.com/coverage/
lgerla

Post by lgerla »

+1 for U.S. Mobile on Verizon network. it works great in my rural area and cities I travel to.

5GB plan is $19.91 per month with tax. If I'm close to the data limit, I can top up for $10 and any unused data rolls over.

It also works with T-Mobile network.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

lgerla wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:37 pm +1 for U.S. Mobile on Verizon network. it works great in my rural area and cities I travel to.

5GB plan is $19.91 per month with tax. If I'm close to the data limit, I can top up for $10 and any unused data rolls over.

It also works with T-Mobile network.
To be clear, US Mobile lets you choose between Verizon and T-Mobile, but you cannot hop dynamically between the two networks. If you decide to switch networks, it typically has to go through customer service, and they need to send you a new SIM for the other network. This is the case with other MVNOs offering multiple networks as well, such as Red Pocket. Google Fi used to offer real dynamic switching between T-Mobile and Sprint, but that's meaningless now with the merger.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

No, it's T-mobile.
I'm repeating myself but you could switch to Visible (using the same network you're already using), get an iPhone 13 for a cost of around $600 (after gift card and free AirPods Pro), and pay $25/mo for unlimited. After 3 mos you can jump ship to Mint if that suits your needs better, but with a much more modern phone that supports all T-Mobile bands (which the 8 does not). Not to mention huge improvements in camera, display, battery life, and performance. The cost is even less if you sell your 8 ($150-200). Sure this all involves some work but there are the compromises involved with an MVNO, and saving money generally.

Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

02nz wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:16 pm
No, it's T-mobile.
I'm repeating myself but you could switch to Visible (using the same network you're already using), get an iPhone 13 for a cost of around $600 (after gift card and free AirPods Pro), and pay $25/mo for unlimited. After 3 mos you can jump ship to Mint if that suits your needs better, but with a much more modern phone that supports all T-Mobile bands (which the 8 does not). Not to mention huge improvements in camera, display, battery life, and performance. The cost is even less if you sell your 8 ($150-200). Sure this all involves some work but there are the compromises involved with an MVNO, and saving money generally.

So with the discounts and my trade in cash back for iPhone 8.

Getting an iPhone 13 at less than $200 would be awesome. Not that I want to spend on a new phone but my current phone bettery life performance is at 75% and screen is partially cracked too. It’s not a 5G either.
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

Cheapest will be some T-Mobile MVNO like Mint...I use Hello Mobile (unlimited talk/text, 500MB data for $5/month) as backup to my main phone (Visible)

because Visible doesn't roam...it only uses native Verizon towers & there is a large U.S. Cellular dead area I routinely drive through when heading up to our extended family's cabin in the mountains.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

In everyone’s opinion here. Is VZ better than T-Mobile/ATT?
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

Vanguard User wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:52 pm In everyone’s opinion here. Is VZ better than T-Mobile/ATT?
It depends on reception in your specific area. The only solution is to try both. Mint is the cheapest (TMO reception).
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

nalor511 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:01 pm
Vanguard User wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:52 pm In everyone’s opinion here. Is VZ better than T-Mobile/ATT?
It depends on reception in your specific area. The only solution is to try both. Mint is the cheapest (TMO reception).
I checked Houston. It says T-Mobile over VZ on overall ratings.