Cheapest iPhone to Use With Apple Watch

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Small Law Survivor

Cheapest iPhone to Use With Apple Watch

Post by Small Law Survivor »

My 69 year old wife uses her Apple 6 [edit: 6 plus] smart phone for the basics - telephone calls, email, texts and GPS. Not much more.

However, she fell this summer, and she told me she wanted an Apple watch for fall protection/notification. So, a new Apple watch (with cellular) arrived yesterday.

Surprise surprise (not really, I was afraid this might happen), you can't upgrade her phone to a version of iOS that will let you pair with the watch. And if you can't do that the watch is inactive.

We could get her an iPhone 12, base model, for $700+, but this will be money spent on top of the $500+ we spent on the watch. And, this is way more computer power than she needs.

I've researched this online as much as I could, but couldn't find a solution. I could pair her watch with my iPhone 12, but it's not clear to me that this a solution. I think she needs a compatible phone of her own to pair with the watch.

Bogleheads, help me out here please!
Last edited by Small Law Survivor on Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
72 yrs. mostly-retired lawyer. Boglehead since day 1 (and M* Diehard long before that) under various names
Nummerkins

Re: Cheapest iPhone to Use With Apple Watch

Post by Nummerkins »

iPhone SE 2020 version. $400.
Today's high is tomorrow's low.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

For new in production models that will last for a number of years:
iPhone SE 2020 if she's fine with the 4.7" screen (same as 6 but I would not accept a screen size that small in 2021)

Otherwise if she'd like a larger screen look at the 5.4" 13 mini (expected to be the last year of this size) or a 6.1" 13. Or 12 if you prefer the year older technology.
David S

Post by David S »

I upgraded to an iPhone 12 Mini earlier this year, from an iPhone 7, which my wife decided to utilize until she retires next year. I was still using my Apple Watch with the 7 at the time and it now has IO version 15.1 installed.
So, I would guess you could use any model between the iPhone 7 and the 13 with the watch.
Gryphon

Post by Gryphon »

Technically the current watch will work with a 6s or newer, but the 6s is the oldest iPhone that will run the current iOS. I would not be surprised if it was dropped from the compatibility list next fall when iOS 16 rolls out at which point you're risking compatibility problems again. Personally I wouldn't spend money on an iPhone model more than a couple years old unless I was getting a huge discount. I think the 2020 SE is the value buy, but I don't regret buying my 12 mini either.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Small Law Survivor wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:44 amI've researched this online as much as I could, but couldn't find a solution. I could pair her watch with my iPhone 12, but it's not clear to me that this a solution. I think she needs a compatible phone of her own to pair with the watch.
I was using 1st Gen iPhone SE last year with old Apple watch last year before upgrading to a new phone. I haven't kept up with new requirements, but here's what I'm seeing.

watchOS 8 requires iPhone 6s or later with iOS 15 or later

iPhone SE (1st generation) is still on the list
https://www.apple.com/ios/ios-15/

The answer to your question, but probably not the solution. High likelyhood it will fall off the list next year.

You might consider XR or 11 for the bigger screen vs SE Gen2.

https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/?m ... 1,iphoneXR

The 12 mini is also a great choice if you stretch the budget more. Great performance and value, though battery life might be weakness depending on how heavily used.
vitaflo

Post by vitaflo »

I’d get current IPhone SE. It’s future proofed and will feel exactly like her current 6, just a lot faster. That familiarity is worth it IMO.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Small Law Survivor wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:44 am I could pair her watch with my iPhone 12, but it's not clear to me that this a solution. I think she needs a compatible phone of her own to pair with the watch.
You can set up an Apple Watch for a family member who doesn't have their own iPhone: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211768

The cheapest new iPhone that supports the latest iOS version (15) is the 2020 SE. If you're willing to buy used, everything from the iPhone 6S onwards (including the original SE) is supported by iOS 15.
FireProof

Post by FireProof »

I got the IPhone SE new for around $260 total with a deal from Visible ($218 + $65 for two months of service to activate - 20 cashback from Rakuten). And that was more than a year and a half ago, so there are surely better deals now.

But just to use with the watch, you can get a used phone for next to something, or for free. Some friend of yours probably has an old one lying in a drawer somewhere, or ask for one in a group like Buy Nothing or Stooping.
walkabout

Post by walkabout »

Having skimmed the thread the OP started back in August, my suggestion is to buy an iPhone 12. It isn’t the cheapest iPhone that can pair with an Apple Watch, but I don’t think you need the cheapest iPhone. You have an iPhone 12, why not get exactly the same for your wife? The difference between the cheapest iPhone that will work and last year’s model(12) is not even a rounding error for you. It seems you’ve earned a good nest egg over your career. Enjoy it. Debate where to take a memorable vacation, not whether to spend $200, $250, $400, $600, or whatever on an iPhone.

Enjoy the fruits of your labors.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

walkabout wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:49 pm Having skimmed the thread the OP started back in August, my suggestion is to buy an iPhone 12. It isn’t the cheapest iPhone that can pair with an Apple Watch, but I don’t think you need the cheapest iPhone. You have an iPhone 12, why not get exactly the same for your wife? The difference between the cheapest iPhone that will work and last year’s model(12) is not even a rounding error for you. It seems you’ve earned a good nest egg over your career. Enjoy it. Debate where to take a memorable vacation, not whether to spend $200, $250, $400, $600, or whatever on an iPhone.

+1.

I’m thinking that an Iphone 12 or 13 will remain forward compatible long after the SE. Just a guess.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Cruise wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:06 amI’m thinking that an Iphone 12 or 13 will remain forward compatible long after the SE. Just a guess.
I'd guess just the opposite. Figure about a year (or 2 at most). The 13 has A15 processor, while the 12 has A14. The SE is same as 11 with A13, so only one generation behind. They might use the smaller 3GB (vs 4GB) memory (or some other minor difference) as an excuse to drop support earlier. (XR also only 3GB)

For the time being A9 (SE Gen 1, 6S) with 2GB are still current.

No wrong choice really. Just a matter of what you want to step up in price, performance and longevity. The market has done a perfect job pricing-wise.

One more consideration is which watch? Maybe try to match the watch lifetime to the phone lifetime if you want to upgrade both in similar timeframes. Or maybe there's a benefit to stagger them to spread the upgrade costs over multiple years.
Topic Author
Small Law Survivor

walkabout wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:49 pm Having skimmed the thread the OP started back in August, my suggestion is to buy an iPhone 12. It isn’t the cheapest iPhone that can pair with an Apple Watch, but I don’t think you need the cheapest iPhone. You have an iPhone 12, why not get exactly the same for your wife? The difference between the cheapest iPhone that will work and last year’s model(12) is not even a rounding error for you. It seems you’ve earned a good nest egg over your career. Enjoy it. Debate where to take a memorable vacation, not whether to spend $200, $250, $400, $600, or whatever on an iPhone.

Nice to see that you are following me, WalkAbout! Happy to buy my wife an iPhone 12, but really, it is total overkill for her - it is literally wasting money.
72 yrs. mostly-retired lawyer. Boglehead since day 1 (and M* Diehard long before that) under various names
02nz

Post by 02nz »

inbox788 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:55 am
Cruise wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:06 amI’m thinking that an Iphone 12 or 13 will remain forward compatible long after the SE. Just a guess.
I'd guess just the opposite. Figure about a year (or 2 at most). The 13 has A15 processor, while the 12 has A14. The SE is same as 11 with A13, so only one generation behind. They might use the smaller 3GB (vs 4GB) memory (or some other minor difference) as an excuse to drop support earlier. (XR also only 3GB)
Excuse or not, RAM appears to make a bigger difference now than processor for which devices get supported. The iPad Mini 4 with A8 processor and 2GB RAM is supported in iOS 15, while the iPhone 6 with 1GB RAM is not.
walkabout

Post by walkabout »

Small Law Survivor wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:50 am

Nice to see that you are following me, WalkAbout! Happy to buy my wife an iPhone 12, but really, it is total overkill for her - it is literally wasting money.
I always buy from Apple and I always buy new. Profligate? Maybe, but I also buy new cars (not often) and give away items (granted, not particularly expensive, but worth it to some people to sell or buy - nice books, old Corning ware, small household appliances, etc) that I don’t have a use for anymore (vs selling on eBay or Facebook marketplace). I see a lot of people on BH buy used iPhones on eBay, Swappa, etc. That’s fine, but I am almost always to spend more to reduce my effort, ensure a smooth and reliable transaction, and ensure a problem-free device. Given all that, the cheapest option, for me, would be an iPhone SE for $399, next would be an iPhone 11 for $499, next would be an iPhone 12 for $599. According to Apple, they will give me $200 for my iPhone X. So they would bring my options down to $199, $299, and $399 respectively. So, the maximum difference between the least expensive option (that I would consider) and the 12 is $200.

I’m not sure what you could get for an iPhone 6 on trade-in, but probably not much. Gazelle only goes as low as iPhone 6s (to sell to them), and one of those would bring maybe $50, if in perfect condition.

I say buy a new iPhone SE from Apple for $399 and move on. If it lasts for 4 years (not unreasonable), that is $100/year or 27¢/day. If it lasts 5 years, that is $80/year or 22¢/day.

Good luck!
sonosoldi3112

Post by sonosoldi3112 »

In my view worth considering a CERTIFIED renewed phone on amazon .... I have purchased phones at a fraction of the original price ... you get a flag ship phone from a year or two ago at a super deal .... guaranteed and warranty for 3 months ( just return it if anything worries you ) .. better warranty than what you get with a new phone.. they look mint new in hand ... see youtube for videos on this if interested ....( ps I check return policy with individual seller before purchase just to be safe)
slow n steady

Post by slow n steady »

Same story for my wife.

I ended up buying a used iPhone SE 2020 from Gazelle last week. Total price was $205 including tax and shipping. I did use a discount code.

We put in the SIM a few days ago and we were up and running. No issues with the phone so far and it was less than half the price of a brand new SE.

Let us know what you decide!
dru808

Post by dru808 »

Another vote for the 2020 se. had mine for about a year. Had the old se up until I got the new one, in terms of basics the old se would still run the current iOS if i hadn’t broken it. The se 2020 has a long life left.
Last edited by dru808 on Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 fund
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

02nz wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:35 amExcuse or not, RAM appears to make a bigger difference now than processor for which devices get supported. The iPad Mini 4 with A8 processor and 2GB RAM is supported in iOS 15, while the iPhone 6 with 1GB RAM is not.
Great example! Did not realize they were still supporting A8 device, which is terrific this many years later.

They discontinued the 5/5S/5C production in 2015/6, but I know people still using them, albeit without the latest iOS, which you wouldn't do in this application. I'm adding this consideration in deciding whether it's worth replacing a battery or screen on an older phone.

This is a good guideline, but I don't see why the SE 2nd Gen would differ from the 11 or be supported longer.
iPhone SE (2nd generation) 24 Apr 2020 In Production Yes – Until 2027
iPhone 11 20 Sep 2019 In Production Yes – Until 2026
https://www.knowyourmobile.com/user-gui ... date-list/

For this application, I wonder what it would take to be untethered to the phone. By design it's an extension of the user phone, so hooking up to OPs phone would create account confusion between watch and phone. If you kept an old broken phone at home just to maintain the watch, could wife continue to use her phone? It would be almost like 2 separate systems (only connection via iCloud and user account).
catdude

Post by catdude »

I have both the iPhone SE (2020 version) and the Apple Watch SE. Works for me...
catdude | | All generalizations are false, including this one.
tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie »

OP: check the link posted by a user a few comments earlier that said you can set up an Apple Watch for a family member without an iPhone. That might be a good solution for you.

Otherwise, it’s unfortunate that you didn’t take advantage of Black Friday deals. The iPhone 12 mini was on sale for $299 at Walmart (locked to Straight Talk or Total Wireless for probably 12 months) and the iPhone SE 2020 was on sale for $165 (locked to AT&T, maybe). I got the 13 mini for about $400 total (took a little maneuvering but worth it to me).

If you can’t find any current deals, I’d go with the 2020 SE. But your best option if it works is to set up the Apple Watch without your wife’s phone.
Afty

Post by Afty »

Small Law Survivor wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:50 am

I have a 13 Pro and my wife has an SE (2020). The SE does 80% of what my 13 Pro does at 1/3 of the cost. It's a really nice phone at a very reasonable price. I would absolutely recommend it.

You may ask why I bought the 13 Pro then. Because my work paid for it. :D
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

tashnewbie wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:57 pmOP: check the link posted by a user a few comments earlier that said you can set up an Apple Watch for a family member without an iPhone. That might be a good solution for you.
Interesting, but limited option. Looks like no app loading, but can use some Apple apps and features. Fall detection IS listed!
An Apple Watch Series 4 or later with cellular,* or Apple Watch SE with cellular, with watchOS 7 or later.
* A cellular plan isn't required to set up an Apple Watch for a family member, but is necessary for some features.
OP, what's your carrier plan, and which plan is the watch on? Which Watch Series and watchOS?
After you set up a watch for a family member, you can use your iPhone to manage some of the watch's capabilities.

Note that some Apple Watch features depend on having a companion iPhone, and aren't available on an Apple Watch that you pair using Family Setup.
Availability of features and apps
Health and fitness features:

High and low heart rate notifications are available for users 13 and older.
Fall detection is available for users 18 and older.
Users under the age of 13 can use move minutes, rather than active calories, for their Move goal in the Activity app.

The following features and apps are not available: Health data sharing, respiratory rate, irregular heart rhythm notifications, ECG, Cycle Tracking, Sleep, Blood Oxygen, Podcasts, Remote, News, Home, and Shortcuts.
Looks like it might work on phones without cell or plan if you're in range of a WiFi/Bluetooth internet connection.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252872541
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208944

In an emergency, you don't want to waste any time, but there are some situations where you can still dial 911 on a phone or watch without any service plan.
https://www.gearbrain.com/how-call-911- ... 67977.html
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Nummerkins wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:48 am iPhone SE 2020 version. $400.
I have this and it works well. Have an apple watch (wifi only) too.
Topic Author
Small Law Survivor

Thank you all for these suggestions! Responses to various questions/comments above:

- the new watch is a Series 7, cellular, AT&T
- not sure the family plan is a good solution - she really wants a full-featured watch
- iPhone SE - her vision is not good, and I think the small screen rules this out

sonosoldi3112 - I'm confused by your comment re "certified" renewed phone on Amazon. I wasn't familiar with the term "renewed," but it looks like it's just another term for refurbished - roughly the same thing. I do see "renewed" and "refurbished" phones on Amazon, but not "certified"

Thank you all for these helpful tips!

Small Law
tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie »

Small Law Survivor wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:15 am - iPhone SE - her vision is not good, and I think the small screen rules this out
The SE 2020's screen is the same size as the iPhone 6 she's currently using. Is she having problems with readability on the 6?

Do you care if the phone is new or used?
bstevlin

Post by bstevlin »

Small Law Survivor wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:15 am Thank you all for these suggestions! Responses to various questions/comments above:

- the new watch is a Series 7, cellular, AT&T
- not sure the family plan is a good solution - she really wants a full-featured watch
- iPhone SE - her vision is not good, and I think the small screen rules this out

sonosoldi3112 - I'm confused by your comment re "certified" renewed phone on Amazon. I wasn't familiar with the term "renewed," but it looks like it's just another term for refurbished - roughly the same thing. I do see "renewed" and "refurbished" phones on Amazon, but not "certified"

Thank you all for these helpful tips!

Small Law
Your original post did not mention that a replacement phone needed to be larger than her iPhone 6 because of eyesight issues; therefore that would have ruled out SE 2 and other similar sized iPhones. It would be most helpful if you tell the forum how much you are willing to spend on a replacement iPhone and what kind of condition will you accept for a replacement phone?
Topic Author
Small Law Survivor

Her current phone is a 6 plus, not a 6 - my apologies!

Willing to spend any reasonable amount given that she is very non-technical. She uses her phone for

- phone calls
- texting
- light web browsing
- online bridge games
- GPS

that's it.
tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie »

Small Law Survivor wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:13 am Her current phone is a 6 plus, not a 6 - my apologies!

Willing to spend any reasonable amount given that she is very non-technical. She uses her phone for

- phone calls
- texting
- light web browsing
- online bridge games
- GPS

that's it.
You can't really pick and choose the phone specs like that. All modern smartphones will meet those requirements. But you need a phone that's compatible with her Apple Watch which limits your options.

If you want a new phone, I think you're looking at iPhone 11 and newer. If you're okay with used, then you can get the X series (Apple Refurbished is selling the XR for $419). You might be able to find a used phone cheaper at other places. I've never bought a used phone so I don't know what that process is like. At the Apple Refurb price point, I don't think the savings is worth buying used over, for example, a new iPhone 11 ($499).

If I was considering the prospect (edited for grammar) of spending $419 for a used iPhone XR or $499 for a new iPhone 11, I'd rather pay an extra $100 or $200 and buy a new iPhone 12 mini or 13 mini, respectively, for the longer expected support and longevity. I would look for the best deal you can find on a new iPhone 12 or 13 series phone (the minis' screens will be about the same size as her iPhone 6 Plus, and the 12 and 13 are bigger). Check your carrier for any deals.
Last edited by tashnewbie on Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
walkabout

Post by walkabout »

tashnewbie wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:40 am I would look for the best deal you can find on a new iPhone 12 or 13 series phone (the minis' screens will be about the same size as her iPhone 6 Plus, and the 12 and 13 are bigger). Check your carrier for any deals.
I don’t think that is quite right in the screen sizes. A Mini is small (5.4”), a Max is large (6.7” - equivalent to old Plus designation), and the regular model is 6.1”. So it seems like, to get an iPhone with the same dimensions as the iPhone 6mPlus, you will need an iPhone <something> Max.

The need for a large iPhone throws a wrench into the works because it seems to eliminate buying a new prior year model new from Apple. This isn’t your fault. It seems to be a conscious decision by Apple to reduce the number of new prior year(s) models that they sell. I’m not sure, it I think that the Max models are not quite as popular these days as the Plus models were when they first came out.

Given the realities of the marketplace, your top requirements (works with Apple Watch and has large screen), I would suggest reframing your query (for yourself and for the board) as something like “Cheapest new iPhone (Plus or Max) to use with Apple Watch”.

New, from the Apple web site, the only Max that is sold seems to be the iPhone 13 Pro Max.
I don’t seem any Max models in their refurb section.

You can get used Max models from somewhere like Gazelle. A quick search shows that you can get Plus models as old as 6s Plus, 7 Plus, 8 Plus, X Max, and XS Max. After 8 they changed the designation from Plus to Max. After X, it looks like the Max iPhones were only sold as Pro Max models (hence more expensive).

If it were me, I wouldn’t bother with anything less than X (and I couldn’t even recommend that in good conscience as I have an X that I am going to upgrade soon). X was released in 2017. XS was released in 2018, so that are pretty old (notwithstanding the fact that they will continue to get iOS updates several more years).

So, your choices (to me) are to get a used 11 or 12 Pro Max or a new 13 Pro Max. Even though I don’t see new 11 or 12 Pro Max models for sale on Apple’s web site, maybe they have some in an Apple Store or some other retailer (cellular provider, Best Buy), etc.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I don’t buy used iPhones, so the only option I would consider (for myself) would be a new iPhone 13 Pro Max. One option would be to buy yourself a 13 Pro Max and give your 12 to your wife (if it is a Max).

Costco.com has new ATT iPhone 11 Pro Max for as little as $999.00.

The iPhone y came out in 2014. That means your wife’s phone is as old as 7+ years. If you buy a new iPhone 11 Pro Max for $999 and it lasts as long as her current phone (maybe optimistic since the 11 is already 2 years old), then you are paying $143/year or 39¢/day.

In closing, if you have access to Costco (or some other retailer that sells new prior year models), I would suggest getting the cheapest iPhone 11 Max Pro.
LongRoad

Post by LongRoad »

walkabout wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:12 am
tashnewbie wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:40 am I would look for the best deal you can find on a new iPhone 12 or 13 series phone (the minis' screens will be about the same size as her iPhone 6 Plus, and the 12 and 13 are bigger). Check your carrier for any deals.
I don’t think that is quite right in the screen sizes. A Mini is small (5.4”), a Max is large (6.7” - equivalent to old Plus designation), and the regular model is 6.1”. So it seems like, to get an iPhone with the same dimensions as the iPhone 6mPlus, you will need an iPhone <something> Max.
It looks like the iPhone 6 Plus has a 5.5 in. diagonal screen:

https://support.apple.com/kb/sp706?locale=en_US
tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie »

As user above said, the iPhone 6 Plus and 6s Plus screens are 5.5" and the 12 and 13 minis are 5.4". So about the same size. I don't know if the 6 Plus was released simultaneously with the 6, but it makes sense if it was -- the 6 has a 4.7" screen, so the Plus was an option for people who wanted a bigger screen.

See this comparison page from Apple (hopefully it's static): https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/?m ... hone13mini
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

tashnewbie wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:10 am
As user above said, the iPhone 6 Plus and 6s Plus screens are 5.5" and the 12 and 13 minis are 5.4". So about the same size. I don't know if the 6 Plus was released simultaneously with the 6, but it makes sense if it was -- the 6 has a 4.7" screen, so the Plus was an option for people who wanted a bigger screen.

See this comparison page from Apple (hopefully it's static): https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/?m ... hone13mini
The mini is a little taller if you include the area to the side of the notch, but is more narrow.

I'm guessing the iPhone 12 is the sweetspot for OP, but the right deal on the 13 (gained a few grams over the 12) or XR/11 (little thicker and heavier) might be a great choice too. (I believe all smaller phone, but bigger screen than the 6 plus)

tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie »

inbox788 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:55 pm
tashnewbie wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:10 am

The mini is a little taller if you include the area to the side of the notch, but is more narrow.

I'm guessing the iPhone 12 is the sweetspot for OP, but the right deal on the 13 (gained a few grams over the 12) or XR/11 (little thicker and heavier) might be a great choice too. (I believe all smaller phone, but bigger screen than the 6 plus)

Yes, this is true. The newer phones like the iPhone 12 and 13 minis have a different aspect ratio than the older 6 models. They're slightly taller and narrower. I don't know if that would affect viewability for OP's wife.
walkabout

Post by walkabout »

It sounds like the first thing to do would be to go to a store where you can handle each of the currently available sizes (will probably be the same for 11, 12, and 13). See which model has an acceptable screen size. Then buy the model that fits your readability and cost requirements.

If you don’t feel like going to a store to do that, look up the viewable dimensions of the mini, Max, and normal iPhones. Cut out a template from cardboard or paper. Compare to the readable area of your current 6 Plus. Pick the one that is at least as large (or within reason). Buy the appropriate year (11, 12, 13). Enjoy.

Try not to sweat it. Whatever iPhone you buy, it will probably have more capabilities than your wife will use (that is probably true for most people). That’s just the way it is. If you only drove your car during the daytime in dry weather and took only short trips, you might like to be able to buy a car that doesn’t have headlights, windshield wipers, or a large gas tank (since those are overkill for your driving scenario). They don’t make cars like that, so you have to choose from what is available.

Good luck and let us know what you choose to do.