Target gift cards 10% off this weekend

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ram

Re: Target gift cards 10% off this weekend

Post by ram »

ModifiedDuration wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:01 am Just a reminder that today (Saturday) and tomorrow are the days to get the Target gift cards at 10% off.
On the target website as I am checking out the 500 value does not go down to the 450 . At what stage of the checkout is the discount applied
Ram
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

ram wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:05 pm
ModifiedDuration wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:01 am Just a reminder that today (Saturday) and tomorrow are the days to get the Target gift cards at 10% off.
On the target website as I am checking out the 500 value does not go down to the 450 . At what stage of the checkout is the discount applied
First, make sure to add the Target Circle offer to your account. Then it shows up down at the bottom summary of the order as $50 off from Target Circle offers.
ram

Post by ram »

Thanks. Done.
Ram
squirm

Post by squirm »

I first bought a hundred dollar card today, they gave me another card worth ten, then i put my stuff on the belt she rang it up and i paid for it with the hundred and ten and a little more on the cc.
mikep

Post by mikep »

Bought $1000 for 900 over me/my wife's circle accts. I could create more accounts for the kids, cat.. but I'll stop there.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

mikep wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:28 am Bought $1000 for 900 over me/my wife's circle accts. I could create more accounts for the kids, cat.. but I'll stop there.
If you're otherwise a regular Target shopper who will definitely spend that money there (and can avoid any behavioral influences to over-spend now that you've done it), 10% is better than you'd get in a savings account. :mrgreen:
Although it's pretty easy to get 5% off with Red Card, and I don't think there's anyway to stack that for use with a gift card, so it's more like 5% extra... still a better rate than any savings account (... again, provided you would definitely otherwise be spending that at Target ...)
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
mikep

Post by mikep »

JoMoney wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:41 am
mikep wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:28 am Bought $1000 for 900 over me/my wife's circle accts. I could create more accounts for the kids, cat.. but I'll stop there.
If you're otherwise a regular Target shopper who will definitely spend that money there (and can avoid any behavioral influences to over-spend now that you've done it), 10% is better than you'd get in a savings account. :mrgreen:
Although it's pretty easy to get 5% off with Red Card, and I don't think there's anyway to stack that for use with a gift card, so it's more like 5% extra... still a better rate than any savings account (... again, provided you would definitely otherwise be spending that at Target ...)
Yes. They can still be used for CVS prescriptions inside target, at least for now. So, 10% off prescriptions with our HDHP plan is great. The redcard 5% doesn't even apply.

For normal target shopping, you can get 1% extra target circle rewards with the gift card but not the red card.. so the spread is 6% more vs redcard.

I'll just add them to my phone and shop as normal.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

dukeblue219 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:15 am Thanks!

Yeah, it's only 5% extra compared to using the Red Card, but we spends hundreds at Target every month anyway...
What types of things do you buy?

I've often found prices at Target higher than Walmart, Amazon, and grocery stores. They do price match, but that's a hassle for a can of beans. My impression is they're setting higher prices and following the price leaders only when needed.

Also, they have differential pricing between some stores and target.com.

https://lendedu.com/blog/amazon-walmart ... omparison/

If prices are higher at Target and you get this $25-50 discount, you might adjust for the Costco or Amazon membership fee in the comparison.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Yeah, it's only 5% extra compared to using the Red Card, but we spends hundreds at Target every month anyway...
Many of us are using a category credit card and getting 5% cash back on top of the 10%. That works out to 14.5% total off or 9.5% more than just the Red card. Given the $500 limit pp that tops out at $72.50 pp....so small potatoes in the big picture but not bad for a couple of minutes of work.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

inbox788 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:42 pm

I've often found prices at Target higher than Walmart, Amazon, and grocery stores. They do price match, but that's a hassle for a can of beans. My impression is they're setting higher prices and following the price leaders only when needed.

Also, they have differential pricing between some stores and target.com.

https://lendedu.com/blog/amazon-walmart ... omparison/

If prices are higher at Target and you get this $25-50 discount, you might adjust for the Costco or Amazon membership fee in the comparison.
I'm not dukeblue (obviously), but for me personally, there are two Target-exclusive products that bring me back regularly: their Up & Up pharmacy line of nitrile exam gloves and their Everspring free & clear hand soap. Both have been pandemic purchases, in that I had other alternatives before the pandemic, but I've been reduced to these two specific offerings during the pandemic. The equivalent products at Walmart or Amazon do not work as well for my specific use case as the Target products. And I'm a single childless person, so a Costco membership doesn't really make sense.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

inbox788 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:42 pm...
I've found Target to be very competitive with low prices, but for things I buy Walmart has mostly been a few cents cheaper (with a few exceptions.)
But shopping at the the Walmart store where I live isn't a nice experience. Its crowded and there's frequently stuff that looks tossed about and not re-shelved, and for some reason they like to plop huge pallets or bins of stuff on display in the middle of the aisles so you have to maneuver shopping cart around them :annoyed
For grocery, I've found Aldi usually inches out Walmart by a few cents, and qualifies as a "Grocery" credit card reward category.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

inbox788 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:42 pm

I've often found prices at Target higher than Walmart, Amazon, and grocery stores.
I don't have a Walmart anywhere near me (DC area) nor would I shop there anyway. We spend far more at Amazon, though, believe me.

We buy clothes, diapers, pet supplies, household products, and seasonal items at Target, which is very convenient, clean, and easy to park at. I'm sure we could comparison shop and save a bit but it's Good Enough for me. Saving on top is just a bonus, not a decision maker of where to go.

Our weekly groceries come primarily from TJ, which doesn't really stock household products or pet supplies in any quantity.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

Bump for those Target shoppers that are interested in the gift card deal:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/20 ... 820379002/

Sale starts on Saturday and ends on Sunday (December 3 and 4).
Most experiences are better imagined.
ModifiedDuration

Post by ModifiedDuration »

Random Poster wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:02 pm Bump for those Target shoppers that are interested in the gift card deal:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/20 ... 820379002/

Sale starts on Saturday and ends on Sunday (December 3 and 4).
Thanks! I’ll order it tomorrow.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Don't forget to switch your Target habit from your Red Card to another card to get cashback.on these!
iskey

Post by iskey »

Can you purchase with a Target redcard?
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

iskey wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:04 pm Can you purchase with a Target redcard?
Sure. But you don't get the extra 5%:

5% discount does not apply to the following:

Target GiftCard; Visa, Mastercard and American Express prepaid cards; Game On gift cards; and Starbucks gift cards purchased at Starbucks locations within Target stores

https://www.target.com/c/redcard-progra ... /-/N-4tgj0

Best to use another CC that gives you cash back.

TIP: If you have a Chase Freedom or similar you can get 5% by using Paypal this quarter (which Target takes).
iskey

Post by iskey »

michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:07 pm

Target GiftCard; Visa, Mastercard and American Express prepaid cards; Game On gift cards; and Starbucks gift cards purchased at Starbucks locations within Target stores

TIP: If you have a Chase Freedom or similar you can get 5% by using Paypal this quarter (which Target takes).
Great thanks!
02nz

Post by 02nz »

michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:07 pm TIP: If you have a Chase Freedom or similar you can get 5% by using Paypal this quarter (which Target takes).
And Discover is offering 5% on digital wallets, incl. Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, and Google Pay, all accepted in-store and online.
czaj

Post by czaj »

You can, but I wouldn’t. Not sure why, but they don’t give the 5% discount for gift cards.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

02nz wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:15 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:07 pm TIP: If you have a Chase Freedom or similar you can get 5% by using Paypal this quarter (which Target takes).
And Discover is offering 5% on digital wallets, incl. Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, and Google Pay, all accepted in-store and online.
Yes. You are on top of things. :D I've been using Google Pay everywhere I can and Paypal everywhere I can this quarter. Discover is also 5% on Amazon this quarter.

I generally avoid tracking all these quarterly bonus things, but these are easy. I set Discover as default on Amazon for the quarter and Chase Freedom as default on Google Pay. $75x2 isn't going to change my life....but it is pretty low effort.
TheCaptain67

Post by TheCaptain67 »

If you have Cash app, they have 4% off Target purchases that stacks with this.

I got $200 Target gift card for $172.80 by stacking the 2 promos.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Glad this thread was revived! I almost missed the current opportunity.

Grandkids love Target, none are ever disappointed to get a gift card. Parents don't mind taking them to Target as they won't be paying for stuff, usually.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
frugalor

Post by frugalor »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:40 am
dukeblue219 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:19 am I should add that last year they had shipping nightmares with the physical cards. If you're intending to buy some as gifts you might rather do it in-store to be safe.

As far as doubling up with PayPal or Discover rewards, do they really apply when buying gift cards?

Edit - yes per slick deals. I'd forgotten from last year, but DO NOT use the Red card to buy these as you won't get extra cash back. Use whatever is your best generic retail cash back card
I bought a few Target gift cards last month with my Discover card, I received 5% rewards. Can't say for PayPal.

Broken Man 1999
My Discover 5% cash back categories are only "Amazon.com and Digital Wallets". I don't see target.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

frugalor wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:20 pm
dukeblue219 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:19 am I should add that last year they had shipping nightmares with the physical cards. If you're intending to buy some as gifts you might rather do it in-store to be safe.

As far as doubling up with PayPal or Discover rewards, do they really apply when buying gift cards?

Edit - yes per slick deals. I'd forgotten from last year, but DO NOT use the Red card to buy these as you won't get extra cash back. Use whatever is your best generic retail cash back card
I bought a few Target gift cards last month with my Discover card, I received 5% rewards. Can't say for PayPal.

Broken Man 1999
My Discover 5% cash back categories are only "Amazon.com and Digital Wallets". I don't see target.
You have to use Apple/Google/Samsung pay in store with Discover being the underlying card. In other words, tap to pay with your phone. Another option if you have a Chase Freedom is to pay using Paypal on the Target website to get 5% back. Both of those offers need to be activated first I believe (on the issuer website).
frugalor

Post by frugalor »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:21 pm

Broken Man 1999
You have to use Apple/Google/Samsung pay in store with Discover being the underlying card. In other words, tap to pay with your phone. Another option if you have a Chase Freedom is to pay using Paypal on the Target website to get 5% back. Both of those offers need to be activated first I believe (on the issuer website).
I haven't done this before. Is this Apple Wallet? Once I add my Discover card into it. Do I get a apple wallet credit card number that I use on target.com website on checkout?
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

frugalor wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:25 pm

Broken Man 1999
I haven't done this before. Is this Apple Wallet? Once I add my Discover card into it. Do I get a apple wallet credit card number that I use on target.com website on checkout?
No, for the digital wallets you'd have to do the transaction in the store with tap to pay with Apple Wallet after adding Discover as a payment option. You'd have to activate the quarterly category first on Discover.com if you haven't already. Make sure you select (or make it the default) the Discover card before tapping.
frugalor

Post by frugalor »

OK. Here is how I did it. I always activate my 5% categories on Discover. So digital wallet on Discover was already activated. I have never used Apple pay before. I just added my Discover card to it.

Then I use Safari to login to target.com. I also set up Rakuten, but maybe giftcard purchase is not qualified for any cash back there.

With Safari, I can choose Apple pay. I then had to choose Discover card within Apple pay. I had update billing info and phone, etc.

Hopefully I can get my 5% :happy
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

frugalor wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:55 pm OK. Here is how I did it. I always activate my 5% categories on Discover. So digital wallet on Discover was already activated. I have never used Apple pay before. I just added my Discover card to it.

Then I use Safari to login to target.com. I also set up Rakuten, but maybe giftcard purchase is not qualified for any cash back there.

With Safari, I can choose Apple pay. I then had to choose Discover card within Apple pay. I had update billing info and phone, etc.

Hopefully I can get my 5% :happy
Good. Apple or Google pay doesn't show on the Target website for me...I see Paypal, Affirm and the typical credit cards. I am not using Safari though.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Broken Man 1999
My spouse and I each used our own Target Circle offers and paid in separate transactions via SamsungPay using my Discover Card (5% cash back for digital wallets offer already activated). $1k total in Target GCs for a net cost of $855. Not bad.
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

Can I pay with the Paypal app QR code at Target in-store?
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Nyc10036 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:18 pm Can I pay with the Paypal app QR code at Target in-store?
Good question.

According to this (https://frugalanswers.com/does-target-accept-paypal/) it does.

According to the Target website, that isn't listed (https://help.target.com/help/subcategor ... earch+help). But maybe this is the caveat: or any contactless digital wallet
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:21 pm
Nyc10036 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:18 pm Can I pay with the Paypal app QR code at Target in-store?
Good question.

According to this (https://frugalanswers.com/does-target-accept-paypal/) it does.

According to the Target website, that isn't listed (https://help.target.com/help/subcategor ... earch+help). But maybe this is the caveat: or any contactless digital wallet
According to the first link, Target accepts Paypal using NFC.
My inexpensive Samsung smartphone does not have NFC.
At CVS, I just have the cashier scan the barcode or I select Paypal at self-checkout and I scan the QR code.
I guess I can give it a try tomorrow.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Broken Man 1999
My post is from 2021!
Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

For the Dec 2022 promo (second time this year, although I think the summer promo was just 5% off), I selected a mailed physical card and paid with my AmEx Blue Cash Everyday. That has previously been giving me 3% cash back on Target items purchased online and either picked up curbside or shipped. We'll see what happens this go-round. I dislike all the hoop jumping for Apple Pay or the like, and I'll be using the complete limit on the Chase PayPal cash-back with my charity donations later this month.
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

Broken Man 1999
:) check the date on the posts! Last year 4th quarter Discover offered 5% cash back at target (and Amazon). You may be able to connect Discover card to a Digital Wallet to get the 5% this year. :)
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

Thanks for the reminder/info on this years offer!

I just used up my last Target Gift Card (from last year) 2 weeks ago. :)
dalbright

Post by dalbright »

michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:07 pm

Thanks for the paypal reminder! I never thought of using it for this deal. Thanks also to the OP and reminder member for 2022 post (didn't scroll back to see if it was the same)!