Deterring dogs from doing their "business" next to my yard?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
z91

Deterring dogs from doing their "business" next to my yard?

Post by z91 »

I have a fenced in backyard that is next to a public area, and have noticed some erm..not so nice smells in my backyard. They are coming from dogs and their owners who decide next to the outside of the fence (on public property) is a great place for their dogs to do their business. FWIW I'm talking about #1 not the messier #2s..

Anyway, I don't really care what this part of my yard looks like from my side of the fence, but do care about how it smells. I've lived here for 5 years and only recently noticed dogs starting to use this area, I suspect because they smell each other's scent and decide to claim the property.

Is there anything I can do on my side that is cost-efficient, safe to dogs (I just want them to go someplace else, not die..) and doesn't break the bank? I've been reading that they hate citrus and ammonia, so maybe some lemon scented ammonia liberally applied on the fence should do the trick?
Bluemnatra

Re: Deterring dogs from doing their "business" next to my yard?

Post by Bluemnatra »

Similar problem. I've been thinking of putting something like cayenne pepper or similar as deterrent. Don't want to harm them just deter. Be interested to see others suggestions
"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan"
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Maybe cayenne pepper or something. But keep in mind that anything you put out will need to be reapplied regularly, as it either evaporates or the rain washes it away.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

You need something that will make the dog owners walk further away from your fence and take their dogs with them. Maybe put some fresh manure along your fence line? Or turn that area into a mud pit. Some dogs like to roll in dead fish which their owners really do not approve of, so tossing dead fish back there will keep owners from letting their dogs go near that stuff.

Oh, one more thing that works in our neighborhood: Put out a free doggie poop bag dispenser. No dog owners around here go near those things.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

Age old, tried and true method: lawn chair and a hose.

Lazier version… motion activated sprinkler.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Cayenne pepper doesn't work. Tried it, no impact.
raveon

Post by raveon »

Get your own small, feisty dog and train it to chase after the other dog?
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

livesoft wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:12 pm You need something that will make the dog owners walk further away from your fence and take their dogs with them. Maybe put some fresh manure along your fence line? Or turn that area into a mud pit. Some dogs like to roll in dead fish which their owners really do not approve of, so tossing dead fish back there will keep owners from letting their dogs go near that stuff.

Oh, one more thing that works in our neighborhood: Put out a free doggie poop bag dispenser. No dog owners around here go near those things.
lololol :D :D :D

A classic!!!!
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Motion activated water sprinkler.
Avail. Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Orbit-Enforcer-A ... 4309&psc=1
Although some dogs, water dogs, might love it.

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Re: sprinklers: My dog loved to attack sprinklers that were going full blast. Whenever he ate some fresh cat poop, I would make sure he got his mouth washed out by either seeking out sprinklers that were going or just running the sprinklers in my yard. If you have your own sprinklers, then you know the gurgling sound that the water makes for a second or two as it fills the underground pipe before the water actually starts spraying out. My dog would freeze in his tracks whenever he heard that sound and swivel his head around towards the source. He would take off and hit the first sprinkler head as it popped up out of the ground. He had the surprise of his life on a golf course dog park when an industrial strength blast of water knocked him about 10 feet in the air.
Last edited by livesoft on Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

I Googled this about deterring dogs:
Maybe an idea or 2
Woof
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Pancho

Post by Pancho »

There is nothing you can to stop dogs from peeing on your fence. Don’t try to reason with them. Their perspective is different than yours.

They want to share their awesome scent with you. Why wouldn’t you want your fence to smell as good as their awesome pee? Then you would know who has visited your fence. Forget changing the dogs. It’s a lost cause.

Work on changing their owners’ behavior. You can put up a sign. Something like, “please do not let your dog pee on my fence. You leave, but the odor from their urine lingers in my yard.”

Any dog owner who reads a sign asking an owner to not let a dog pee on the fence, and who is not an @@@hole, will not let their dog pee on your fence. If that doesn’t work, plant some hearty native weeds or trees as far out as necessary from the fence on the public land, away from your yard. The dogs will eventually pick the first tree or weed he finds and you won’t have to worry about training the dog owner.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Perhaps your town will give you permission to plant something in the public strip of land that will deter dogs. For example, tall grasses or (thorny) knockout roses.
renter

Post by renter »

I was thinking maybe spread a layer of some kind of mulch along the fence that could help absorb the smell on impact.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

You should not mess with or put anything like chemicals on a public strip of land. The previously mentioned sign on your fence is a decent idea.
Trapper

Post by Trapper »

Post some signs with this theme:

“We care about your safety”
Heavy tick presence in this area

Ticks can carry Lyme disease.

…..Who want to pick ticks off there dog?
Jerry476

Post by Jerry476 »

Have had some success with commercial sprays but dogs have the ability to tough it out. The best way to solve your problem is putting vinegar in a spray bottle and applying it as a preventative measure. Cheap, effective solution. Good luck.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Put motion activated sprinklers. Aim for the humans, not the dogs.
elle

Post by elle »

Agree on the signage + plants by the fence. Thorns seem a bit extreme. Just pick something big enough where the animal will pee on the plant instead.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

livesoft wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:12 pm
Spit my coffee out at this one :sharebeer
khangaroo

Post by khangaroo »

Pancho wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:11 pm There is nothing you can to stop dogs from peeing on your fence. Don’t try to reason with them. Their perspective is different than yours.

They want to share their awesome scent with you. Why wouldn’t you want your fence to smell as good as their awesome pee? Then you would know who has visited your fence. Forget changing the dogs. It’s a lost cause.

Work on changing their owners’ behavior. You can put up a sign. Something like, “please do not let your dog pee on my fence. You leave, but the odor from their urine lingers in my yard.”

Any dog owner who reads a sign asking an owner to not let a dog pee on the fence, and who is not an @@@hole, will not let their dog pee on your fence. If that doesn’t work, plant some hearty native weeds or trees as far out as necessary from the fence on the public land, away from your yard. The dogs will eventually pick the first tree or weed he finds and you won’t have to worry about training the dog owner.
+1 for this. We were in subdivision that wasn’t our neighborhood walking the dog over Thanksgiving and someone had a sign that said to please keep your pets off the landscaping on public property (the sidewalk in front of their house). Even though it was public property, we respected their wishes and kept our dog off.

I know you won’t get everyone but I do agree you gotta deter the owners, not the dogs. Hopefully your place isn’t next to an off-leash dog park then that’s a whole different ball game.
mhc

Post by mhc »

Putting up a polite sign is a simple solution that will fix most of the problem.

The suggestions to aim sprinklers at people/dogs that are on public land is a really bad idea. It may be illegal. It may provoke a person into some really bad behavior.

If you have any property on the other side of the fence, plant some hardy, low maintenance shrubs as a barrier.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

When I was showing dogs, I always was amazed by how much male dogs could pee. In the parking lot before entering an indoor show, I would have to stop at least 3 or 4 times because my male dog had to pee to mark various areas, usually tree trunks, fire hydrants or 55 gallon trash barrels. And he'd always save some for the next encounter. Imagine how much pee scent is around with a typical entry of 1000 male dogs. And I still laugh when I think about the signs inside the show. (Dog shows usually have multiple vendors inside selling pet products). The signs usually read "If he pees on it, you're buying it"
MAKsdad

Post by MAKsdad »

My father-in-law uses an air rifle, but he lives out in the country...not sure you could do that in an HOA community.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Probably not an option but try planting Xanthium, commonly known as Cockleburs. They are very difficult for owners to remove from the fur of dogs and they stick easily to the fur of dogs. I spent many an hour pulling cockleburs from my dog over the years.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

MAKsdad wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:46 am My father-in-law uses an air rifle, but he lives out in the country...not sure you could do that in an HOA community.
On public property and with the dog owners leashing their dogs? Come on.
MAKsdad

Post by MAKsdad »

Nate79 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:02 am
MAKsdad wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:46 am My father-in-law uses an air rifle, but he lives out in the country...not sure you could do that in an HOA community.
No, he only does that on his own property
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

lthenderson wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:57 am Probably not an option but try planting Xanthium, commonly known as Cockleburs. They are very difficult for owners to remove from the fur of dogs and they stick easily to the fur of dogs. I spent many an hour pulling cockleburs from my dog over the years.
Please don’t do that. The burrs get everywhere, not just where you want them, and the dog can walk for awhile before they get embedded in their feet badly enough that they start limping. When my dog picks them up, I usually have no idea where she got them. But I do know that it’s painful for both dog and owner.
Teague

Post by Teague »

Very enthusiastically approach the dog walker, pamphlets in hand, asking if they've heard the Good News.
Semper Augustus
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

Nate79 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:02 am
In some rural areas there's a lot of paranoia and rage, seems to be a self reinforcing norm some places, people are even perversely proud of it sometimes. Better not to get into it too much here though. There are rural/farm areas where people wouldn't do stuff like that, not normal people anyway, I can't see that happening in farm area where my daughter lives. The OP situation is suburban and yeah involves public property so even spraying water is a bad idea as was noted. Actually OP didn't even say the dogs pee *on* the fence but "next to the outside of the fence" and there's nothing you can do about that if there isn't a public ordinance prohibiting it in that particular place. Putting a sign on the fence to ask owners not to let dogs pee *on* the fence is fine, effectiveness unknown. We live in a very urban area. People sometimes put up 'don't let the dog pee' signs around flower/plant beds along the sidewalk but in general if you worry about where dogs pee you need to go somewhere else. :happy
Jimbo Moneybags

Post by Jimbo Moneybags »

Some of the "vigilante" type suggestions that OP take actions that could potentially harm, harass or intimidate persons or domestic pets on public land are unwise. However, the OP specifically noted that they want to do something on their own side of the fence to deal with the odors.

To the OP. If you are able to, and if it is permissible, you may wish to treat the offending area with baking soda or lime (lawn lime) and then water it in liberally. You may need to do that on a regular basis. That will dilute the urine, neutralize the odor and may cause the pets to seek another area to go. You may also want to consider planting some pleasantly fragrant shrubs or perennials on your side of the fence.
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

Contact the city or whomever supervises the public area. Ask them to help. I agree, maybe a vine growing over the fence (assume its pickets not metal). Ammonia sprayed along the bottom might help. but then you smell ammonia.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This is a "No politics" forum. I removed an off-topic political post. As a reminder, see: Politics and Religion
In order to avoid the inevitable frictions that arise from these topics, political or religious posts and comments are prohibited. The only exceptions to this rule are:
  • Common religious expressions such as sending your prayers to an ailing member.
  • Usage of factual and non-derogatory political labels when necessary to the discussion at hand.
  • Discussions about enacted laws or regulations that affect the individual investor. Note that discussions of proposed legislation are prohibited.
  • Proposed regulations that are directly related to investing may be discussed if and when they are published for public comments.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
MittensMoney

Post by MittensMoney »

May not be an option but a row of bushes on the public property just on the other side of your fence, so that the dogs mostly pee on the bushes instead of directly on your fence.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

z91 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:56 pm I have a fenced in backyard that is next to a public area, and have noticed some erm..not so nice smells in my backyard. They are coming from dogs and their owners who decide next to the outside of the fence (on public property) is a great place for their dogs to do their business. FWIW I'm talking about #1 not the messier #2s..

Anyway, I don't really care what this part of my yard looks like from my side of the fence, but do care about how it smells. I've lived here for 5 years and only recently noticed dogs starting to use this area, I suspect because they smell each other's scent and decide to claim the property.

Is there anything I can do on my side that is cost-efficient, safe to dogs (I just want them to go someplace else, not die..) and doesn't break the bank? I've been reading that they hate citrus and ammonia, so maybe some lemon scented ammonia liberally applied on the fence should do the trick?
Is it just me or that I really can't smell dog pees outdoor? I definitely can smell horse pee in downtown Charleston.

I don't think there's much you can do since it's the public area outside your fence. Maybe if you run into dog owners, just have a little friendly chat with them and voice your concern. I believe in using direct communication in these kinds of issue.
Time is the ultimate currency.
Domadosolo

Post by Domadosolo »

livesoft wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:12 pm You need something that will make the dog owners walk further away from your fence and take their dogs with them. Maybe put some fresh manure along your fence line? Or turn that area into a mud pit. Some dogs like to roll in dead fish which their owners really do not approve of, so tossing dead fish back there will keep owners from letting their dogs go near that stuff.

Ooooh! Dead Fish :shock:
Topic Author
z91

Post by z91 »

Nate79 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:38 pm You should not mess with or put anything like chemicals on a public strip of land. The previously mentioned sign on your fence is a decent idea.
Is there anything I can do on my side
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

z91 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:12 pm
Nate79 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:38 pm You should not mess with or put anything like chemicals on a public strip of land. The previously mentioned sign on your fence is a decent idea.
Is there anything I can do on my side
Grow something on your side between the pee and your yard (might help adsorb the smell). I know that kennels have anti urine sprays that help clean the areas, neutralizing the smell. That would probably be ok to spray on the pee area even if in the public area (it should be safe for animals). Even watering the area might be enough to dilute the issue.

No experience with this but this might work: https://www.chewy.com/simple-green-outd ... /dp/160845
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

This is all controlled by the dog owners. You could spray or move something to where the dog owners would stand when the dog would do his #1 business on your fence. I did that with dog #2 business which they delivered into my plantings at the road and further in. I hated to step into dog poop when mowing the lawn. I moved that #2 to where the owners would stand (at night). I did that a few times and finally it stopped, owners got the message.
zincTwo

Post by zincTwo »

Had some success with the dog/cat repellant sold at home improvement stores. It does need to be reapplied, but it broke the 10pm habit of a neighborhood cat.
For the dogs, my DW mentioned it to the owner that we have leash laws... when the reply was "you must be mistaken, it wasn't us"... she let him know it was captured on video by our doorbell-cam. Never had a problem after that conversation.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

zincTwo wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:30 pm Had some success with the dog/cat repellant sold at home improvement stores. It does need to be reapplied, but it broke the 10pm habit of a neighborhood cat.
For the dogs, my DW mentioned it to the owner that we have leash laws... when the reply was "you must be mistaken, it wasn't us"... she let him know it was captured on video by our doorbell-cam. Never had a problem after that conversation.
+1 direct communication works.
Time is the ultimate currency.
danaht

Post by danaht »

The idea of a motion activated sprinkler is interesting. You just need a camera that sees through the other fence - and a sprinkler that shoots water over the fence when the camera is activated. You would have to watch for leaks and turn the water off during cold periods to protect your outside pipes. If I was walking my dog - I would learn to avoid this area for sure.
bogledogle

Post by bogledogle »

livesoft wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:12 pm Oh, one more thing that works in our neighborhood: Put out a free doggie poop bag dispenser. No dog owners around here go near those things.
:-D
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Frankly, I see too many owners use other people's lawns as their dogs dumping grounds. The fact that this particular situation involves "public property" doesn't matter to me as the OP is affected by it (and perhaps others). Just another "as long as it's not in my backyard" issue. And perhaps also so their dogs wastes impacts their immediate neighbors less. Win-win for them.

I like the people who use the poop bags, but then leave them behind. Disposal is for little people.

Most people are courteous dog owners, but it doesn't even make the Pareto threshold. And that's a problem.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
jayjayc

Post by jayjayc »

The smell of dog urine attracts other dogs to pee over it. It's a cycle that keeps going. I suggest hosing it down. Then spray the area with a vinegar and water mixture. Neutralize the smell as much as possible so the dogs skip over this area when they search for that perfect spot to pee.
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

H-Town wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:45 am
z91 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:56 pm ... They are coming from dogs and their owners who decide next to the outside of the fence (on public property) is a great place for their dogs to do their business. FWIW I'm talking about #1 not the messier #2s..
1. Is it just me or that I really can't smell dog pees outdoor? I definitely can smell horse pee in downtown Charleston.

2. I don't think there's much you can do since it's the public area outside your fence. Maybe if you run into dog owners, just have a little friendly chat with them and voice your concern. I believe in using direct communication in these kinds of issue.
1. Not just you, I rarely notice the smell of dog pee outside. There is one, dogs notice it obviously :happy but I don't much.

2. I think 'not much you can do' is the basic answer and the main exceptions stuff you'd do on your side of the fence to mitigate the impact on you if there really is one. I'd note again OP did not say the dogs are peeing on their fence (which most posts, not necessarily yours, seem to assume) and definitely not dog poo which a few posts nevertheless assume is the topic. As for talking to people I think it's fine depending on one's own approach to things and the nature of the people and the area and one's sense of it. But as with the anecdote of somebody who shoots other people's dogs with air rifle, there's a lot of paranoia and rage boiling beneath the surface with a lot of people now in various places which one has to think about in confronting strangers, even politely and about fairly innocuous stuff.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

z91 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:56 pm I have a fenced in backyard that is next to a public area, and have noticed some erm..not so nice smells in my backyard. They are coming from dogs and their owners who decide next to the outside of the fence (on public property) is a great place for their dogs to do their business. FWIW I'm talking about #1 not the messier #2s..
Hmmm? :idea:

Paint the outside bottom of your fence with conductive paint.
Search: https://www.google.com/search?q=transpa ... tive+paint

Charge it from a solar fence charger.
Search: https://www.google.com/search?q=solar+e ... ce+charger

Post a sign asking neighbors to not let dogs pee on "...invisible rabbit-deterrent electric fence". Let the fun begin. :twisted:
Search: https://www.google.com/search?q=dog+pee+electric+fence
Last edited by dratkinson on Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
Somethingwitty92912

Post by Somethingwitty92912 »

Plant a poison ivy vine.
clip651

Post by clip651 »

Somethingwitty92912 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:29 pm Plant a poison ivy vine.
That won't deter the dogs. It will only deter observant owners, which might not be the majority of them.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Hire a mime to perform there during peak dog walking hours. Or encourage a homeless person to sleep there.