How would you rate the following cities?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
wojo8625

How would you rate the following cities?

Post by wojo8625 »

I have been thinking about relocating to a large (or larger) city and have my list narrowed down to the following:

Cincinnati
Knoxville, TN
Chicago
Phoenix
Las Vegas
Madison, WI
Indianapolis

Some criteria that I am considering: tech job opportunities, dating scene, low crime, nearby biking/hiking trails, affordable housing, and good weather (I tend to prefer warmer weather although I wouldn't rule out a "colder" city if it otherwise meets my standards).

If anyone has lived in or know much about any of these cities, feel free to chime in. Thanks!
livesoft

Re: How would you rate the following cities?

Post by livesoft »

I would rate them as all somewhat different from each other. I would not desire to live in any of them myself. So there's that.

BTW, what happened to Pittsburgh for you?
Last edited by livesoft on Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Check out this forum:

www.city-data.com/forum
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

How would you rate your priorities? Then you can see how those cities match up.
BionicBillWalsh

Post by BionicBillWalsh »

Sounds like Vegas and Phoenix are your only viable options here.

The others aren't going to give you that warm weather you mentioned.
Jerry Garcia: If I knew the way...I would take you home.
dbr

Post by dbr »

Those cities are so different it is hard to imagine them being on the same list.

I know people who love Madison, Knoxville, Phoenix, and Las Vegas. I would say Madison and Knoxville might be somewhat similar excepting winter climate. I can't imagine someone really liking Phoenix or Las Vegas liking either of the first two and vice versa. So, are you a Badger or a Vol?
poker27

Post by poker27 »

That’s an interesting list….

You’ve got two warm dessert cities, one big city, 3 Midwest midsize cities, and a big college town/outdoor city. Idk what affordable housing is considered, but i guess you could rule out Chicago and perhaps even Phoenix at this point.

Listening to your priorities, Denver sounds like a better option then all of those
Williams57

Post by Williams57 »

poker27 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:40 pm That’s an interesting list….

You’ve got two warm dessert cities, one big city, 3 Midwest midsize cities, and a big college town/outdoor city. Idk what affordable housing is considered, but i guess you could rule out Chicago and perhaps even Phoenix at this point.

Listening to your priorities, Denver sounds like a better option then all of those
I think average house cost in Denver is close to 700k at this point. Maybe that's affordable to some.
poker27

Post by poker27 »

Williams57 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:43 pm
poker27 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:40 pm That’s an interesting list….

I think average house cost in Denver is close to 700k at this point. Maybe that's affordable to some.
Denver has gotten crazy, much more expensive then I would have expected. Although I don’t know if would be much more expensive then Chicago, which is also on the list.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Texas probably makes the most sense (tech jobs, warm weather, affordable housing). Maybe cities like Charlotte or Atlanta might be good too.

It's hard to pick everything, because having good tech jobs and affordable housing often don't go together.
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

You should consider the NYC area. Likely many more tech jobs than any options you mentioned, better dating scene, good weather except Dec-March. more expensive yes but tech salaries will keep you in a good place. There is hiking upstate and in New Jersey.

Also could consider Los Angeles and The Bay Area obviously. Tons of hiking options, some would say a hiking paradise. If you want to prioritize work in tech I’m not sure why you’d be looking at most of the options on your list
Crom laughs at your Four Winds
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

dbr: Madison and Knoxville could not be more different in terms of a variety of factors, I can assure you.

Tim
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

wojo8625 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:15 pm I have been thinking about relocating to a large (or larger) city and have my list narrowed down to the following:

Cincinnati
Knoxville, TN
Chicago
Phoenix
Las Vegas
Madison, WI
Indianapolis

Some criteria that I am considering: tech job opportunities, dating scene, low crime, nearby biking/hiking trails, affordable housing, and good weather (I tend to prefer warmer weather although I wouldn't rule out a "colder" city if it otherwise meets my standards).

If anyone has lived in or know much about any of these cities, feel free to chime in. Thanks!
The Phoenix region is immense (5 million) , and greatly varies in housing costs, and all you mention.

Large tech and other corporations based here: Amazon, Boeing, General Dynamics, etc.
Outdoor oriented year round.
Crime is relative, contextual, and region dependent. (If I were a criminal, I would not want to ply my trade in Arizona)(kidding).
Dating has not been a functional radar for me for 4 decades so I can't comment on that.
Weather is great for 3-1/2 seasons. Mid summer heat can be grueling but some folks are out playing golf and tennis in the 100's so that's an individual thing.
With the highway system, major interstates, I-10, I-17, I-40 up North, you can be anywhere in a short time.
Medical care and so forth, IE: the venerable Mayo Teaching Hospita/center, is extensive.
PHX international Airport is one of the most busiest and extensively network airports in the world.
Cost of living is low compared to many areas of the USA.

This missive is only about Phoenix.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Topic Author
wojo8625

Post by wojo8625 »

MoonOrb wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:27 pm How would you rate your priorities? Then you can see how those cities match up.
Already went through this and cities pretty much evenly match up as far as my priorities go. I assigned a score to each priority and another score as host that priority rates in each city and multiplied the two. For example, I would like the weather in Phoenix but getting back home to visit family would be much more difficult than one of the midwest cities that is within driving distance. Chicago has a lot of tech jobs but seems to have more crime than the other cities listed.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Vegas is a tough place to live and I can't imagine living there. And I am not anti drinking or gambling. Phoenix isn't really a city IMO. Instead you have Scottsdale where I lived for a good decade. Great sites, women, bars, etc. but also lots of fake people, plastic surgery and people who think there are something. You have the west side which if you exclude the retirees is quite diverse and more real. You have other different areas in Chandler, Tempe, etc.

Chicago I have heard good things about but most hate the weather. A lot of the other places you could not pay me to live. For me Phoenix is a clear number 1, Chicago a distant 2 and forget about the rest unless something intrigues you about it.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
Topic Author
wojo8625

Post by wojo8625 »

livesoft wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:26 pm I would rate them as all somewhat different from each other. I would not desire to live in any of them myself. So there's that.

BTW, what happened to Pittsburgh for you?
What's in Pittsburgh? When I think Pittsburgh, I think rust belt and steel mills.
Topic Author
wojo8625

Post by wojo8625 »

BionicBillWalsh wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:28 pm Sounds like Vegas and Phoenix are your only viable options here.

The others aren't going to give you that warm weather you mentioned.
The warm weather is not a "must have" as much as ot is a "nice to have".

I hear the Smoky Mountains (near Knoxville) has mile winters and summers are not too hot. That is one city on that lost I have never been to and the main reason I have considered it.
Herekittykitty

Post by Herekittykitty »

Some people are suggesting other cities anyway, but there may be some who don't but would if they knew the criteria you used to make your list and that you are open to other cities meeting those criteria.

If you can rank the criteria you used in order of preference, that might help too.

My own suggestion especially since your family is in the area you are living now and that matters to you is to prioritize cities with good airports and plenty of reliable direct flights to where you live now, or at least with no more than one (good) connection with the same airline you would likely use.

Also I would prioritize cities with enough companies I would be qualified to work for and would consider, as that would give you more options initially and more options if you wanted to change jobs in the same city.
I don't know anything.
Topic Author
wojo8625

Post by wojo8625 »

dbr wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:37 pm Those cities are so different it is hard to imagine them being on the same list.

I know people who love Madison, Knoxville, Phoenix, and Las Vegas. I would say Madison and Knoxville might be somewhat similar excepting winter climate. I can't imagine someone really liking Phoenix or Las Vegas liking either of the first two and vice versa. So, are you a Badger or a Vol?
Neither. 😀 I have been to Phoenix on numerous occasions. Nice place to visit. Same with Madison but for different reasons. I did visit Madison in late spring and Phoenix in late winter so the weather was good in both places at the time I was there. I liked spring training, hiking in the desert, etc. Downtown Madison was fun but I was in my 20s at the time. With it being a college town, I am guessing it would not be the same now that I am 40ish.
Topic Author
wojo8625

Post by wojo8625 »

Marseille07 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:51 pm Texas probably makes the most sense (tech jobs, warm weather, affordable housing). Maybe cities like Charlotte or Atlanta might be good too.

I have thought about Charlotte. Seems like another place (like Knoxville) with warmer winters and not too hot summers.
Marseille07 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:51 pm It's hard to pick everything, because having good tech jobs and affordable housing often don't go together.
That does seem to be the case.
Topic Author
wojo8625

Post by wojo8625 »

muffins14 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:04 pm You should consider the NYC area. Likely many more tech jobs than any options you mentioned, better dating scene, good weather except Dec-March. more expensive yes but tech salaries will keep you in a good place. There is hiking upstate and in New Jersey.

Also could consider Los Angeles and The Bay Area obviously. Tons of hiking options, some would say a hiking paradise. If you want to prioritize work in tech I’m not sure why you’d be looking at most of the options on your list
Appreciate the suggestions but too big for me. Even Chicago is pushing it.
Topic Author
wojo8625

Post by wojo8625 »

Nowizard wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:26 pm dbr: Madison and Knoxville could not be more different in terms of a variety of factors, I can assure you.

Tim
The weather is different for sure. The two cities tend to differ politically as well. What am I missing? Cost of living?
Topic Author
wojo8625

Post by wojo8625 »

Sandtrap wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:30 pm The Phoenix region is immense (5 million) , and greatly varies in housing costs, and all you mention.

Large tech and other corporations based here: Amazon, Boeing, General Dynamics, etc.
Outdoor oriented year round.
Crime is relative, contextual, and region dependent. (If I were a criminal, I would not want to ply my trade in Arizona)(kidding).
Dating has not been a functional radar for me for 4 decades so I can't comment on that.
Weather is great for 3-1/2 seasons. Mid summer heat can be grueling but some folks are out playing golf and tennis in the 100's so that's an individual thing.
With the highway system, major interstates, I-10, I-17, I-40 up North, you can be anywhere in a short time.
Medical care and so forth, IE: the venerable Mayo Teaching Hospita/center, is extensive.
PHX international Airport is one of the most busiest and extensively network airports in the world.
Cost of living is low compared to many areas of the USA.

This missive is only about Phoenix.
j :D
Thanks for the info! I have heard about the heat, but if the trade off is getting rid of snow, icy roads, and excessive cold, I think that would be an acceptable trade off.

I really enjoyed visiting there a couple of times although I did notice there was a lot of traffic. That is to be expected in a big city though.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I plugged your criteria into this (https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... -quiz.html), and got El Paso, Fresno, and Las Vegas. There’s no checkbox for “tech jobs,” so YMMV.

In driving across the country multiple times, the two unexpected and less HCOL places that seemed to have a lot of tech employers were Salt Lake and Indianapolis.
Topic Author
wojo8625

Post by wojo8625 »

quantAndHold wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:11 pm I plugged your criteria into this (https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... -quiz.html), and got El Paso, Fresno, and Las Vegas. There’s no checkbox for “tech jobs,” so YMMV.

In driving across the country multiple times, the two unexpected and less HCOL places that seemed to have a lot of tech employers were Salt Lake and Indianapolis.
Interesting, thanks! Indianapolis did seem to have quite a few tech jobs the last time I looked.
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

I'll vote for Las Vegas. I remember seeing a program late one night several decades ago where Steve Wynn was being interviewed. He said something to the effect that no matter where you go in the world, no matter what language people speak, when you say "Las Vegas" people smile - they know it is fun.

Vegas has a lot going for it. No snow. No state income tax. Low property taxes. NFL and NHL teams. International airport. World-class dining and entertainment. Other than a beach I'm not sure what it is lacking.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
dbr

Post by dbr »

Nowizard wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:26 pm dbr: Madison and Knoxville could not be more different in terms of a variety of factors, I can assure you.

Tim
Oh, they are. My thought though is that it is much more likely that a person choosing one of those cities would choose the other one rather than some of the other choices.

For some people a really cold winter is a show stopper but Madison and Chicago being in that list says a cold winter is not a show stopper for the OP. One can never be sure how the political climate rates for different people either.
dbr

Post by dbr »

I think when you are comparing places to live you can't do it by computing a score. You have to start by having a list of must haves and a list of must not haves and then proceeding by elimination of all the places that are on the list of must nots and not on the list of musts. There are lots of good opportunities for most anyone and definitely some places any given person would never choose.

Another thing that is probably essential is to just visit a candidate city for a reasonable length of time in a couple of different seasons and see how it feels to you. Sometimes you can just tell you would not want to live there or that you would. If you have friends or relatives in a place that would help because you can experience the place more through the eyes of a resident.

I've lived in Madison and liked it. I've been to Knoxville and visited relatives there and probably would like Knoxville. I have been to Chicago enough times to know I would never live there nor in Phoenix. I've lived in Denver but wouldn't so quickly move there now but sure would live there before Pittsburgh, Charlotte, or Los Angeles, also places I have seen some of or lived in. Nor would I live in the Boston area or New York, also places I have an extended experience with.

And, no I am not saying where we are now.
Last edited by dbr on Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

7eight9 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:23 pm Other than a beach I'm not sure what it is lacking.
Tech jobs are probably what is lacking. Vegas isn’t a center of tech, finance, etc

Maybe Atlanta is another to consider, and Austin.
Crom laughs at your Four Winds
Topic Author
wojo8625

Post by wojo8625 »

7eight9 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:23 pm I'll vote for Las Vegas. I remember seeing a program late one night several decades ago where Steve Wynn was being interviewed. He said something to the effect that no matter where you go in the world, no matter what language people speak, when you say "Las Vegas" people smile - they know it is fun.

Vegas has a lot going for it. No snow. No state income tax. Low property taxes. NFL and NHL teams. International airport. World-class dining and entertainment. Other than a beach I'm not sure what it is lacking.
Good points

I do wonder about crime, although that would be an issue in any big city.
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

I lived 10 years in Madison. Loved it. My kind of politics. Home to a great university but cold and high taxes.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Cincinnati
Knoxville, TN
Chicago — too cold in the winter
Phoenix — mighty hot in the summer
Las Vegas — mighty hot in the summer, and has an economy based on gambling
Madison, WI — too cold in the winter
Indianapolis — too cold in the winter

Looks like Cincinnati or Knoxville.

You could do better than this list.
Topic Author
wojo8625

Post by wojo8625 »

dbr wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:46 pm I think when you are comparing places to live you can't do it by computing a score. You have to start by having a list of must haves and a list of must not haves and then proceeding by elimination of all the places that are on the list of must nots and not on the list of musts. There are lots of good opportunities for most anyone and definitely some places any given person would never choose.
Good idea. :) After doing this, I think that Chicago and Madison would be in the brink of elimination. Chicago with it's high cost of living and crime. The weather does not help. Madison has even colder weather. Lower cost of living but high property taxes. Job market not as good as in some of the other cities.

I will need to do some more research on Cincinnati and Knoxville (job market, dating scene, housing costs, etc).

Phoenix, Vegas, and Indianapolis seem to hit all of my biggest must have and missing my have nots, although will require further analysis. Indianapolis still has cold winters but does not get as much snow as Chicago or Madison.
dbr wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:46 pm Another thing that is probably essential is to just visit a candidate city for a reasonable length of time in a couple of different seasons and see how it feels to you. Sometimes you can just tell you would not want to live there or that you would. If you have friends or relatives in a place that would help because you can experience the place more through the eyes of a resident.
I have been to all of these cities except Knoxville. I do not know anyone in these cities which is why I was hoping to find a city within driving distance of family. Come to think of it, that would be the disadvantages of Phoenix and Vegas, but not a dealbreaker.
Topic Author
wojo8625

Post by wojo8625 »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:11 pm Cincinnati
Knoxville, TN

Any other suggestions welcome.
Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap »

rich126 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:39 pm Vegas is a tough place to live and I can't imagine living there. And I am not anti drinking or gambling. Phoenix isn't really a city IMO. Instead you have Scottsdale where I lived for a good decade. Great sites, women, bars, etc. but also lots of fake people, plastic surgery and people who think there are something. You have the west side which if you exclude the retirees is quite diverse and more real. You have other different areas in Chandler, Tempe, etc.

Chicago I have heard good things about but most hate the weather. A lot of the other places you could not pay me to live. For me Phoenix is a clear number 1, Chicago a distant 2 and forget about the rest unless something intrigues you about it.
Your post made me smile. We lived in the greater Phoenix area for six years (hence the user name) and are currently visiting. We had relocated from the Bay Area and one of DH's collegues bragged that the Scottsdale area was going to be the next Silicone Valley. Uh yeah, it already was! :wink:

To the OP: DH would move back in a heart-beat. He says he doesn't mind the heat. I know I'm very spoiled by living in the Bay Area and so close to the beach. I do not like the summers here but made do by getting my hikes finished by 9am. The hiking and outdoor life is great.

ETA: Making friends here wasn't too hard. Although I didn't have a job or kids as a way of meeting people I became a volunteer for a local non-profit, joined some guided hikes at a local county park which I later led as a docent and joined a gym. Even though we moved twelve years ago I still have a robust group of friends. If you join a hiking or biking club you'll make friends. Lots of transplants looking for the same thing as you.
Last edited by Carefreeap on Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Every day I can hike is a good day.
dbr

Post by dbr »

wojo8625 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:20 pm
Knoxville, TN

Someone suggested Austin and Salt Lake City, also Raleigh-Durham.
nydoc

Post by nydoc »

I have been to all of them and they all seemed dead. Phoenix is the best here. Just move to Dallas area, entire USA is moving there.
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

wojo8625 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:51 pm
Marseille07 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:51 pm Texas probably makes the most sense (tech jobs, warm weather, affordable housing). Maybe cities like Charlotte or Atlanta might be good too.

I have thought about Charlotte. Seems like another place (like Knoxville) with warmer winters and not too hot summers.
Marseille07 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:51 pm It's hard to pick everything, because having good tech jobs and affordable housing often don't go together.
+1 on Charlotte. Pretty cool city and closer to the coast if that matters to you.
Topic Author
wojo8625

Post by wojo8625 »

Carefreeap wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:23 pm
rich126 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:39 pm Vegas is a tough place to live and I can't imagine living there. And I am not anti drinking or gambling. Phoenix isn't really a city IMO. Instead you have Scottsdale where I lived for a good decade. Great sites, women, bars, etc. but also lots of fake people, plastic surgery and people who think there are something. You have the west side which if you exclude the retirees is quite diverse and more real. You have other different areas in Chandler, Tempe, etc.

Your post made me smile. We lived in the greater Phoenix area for six years (hence the user name) and are currently visiting. We had relocated from the Bay Area and one of DH's collegues bragged that the Scottsdale area was going to be the next Silicone Valley. Uh yeah, it already was! :wink:

To the OP: DH would move back in a heart-beat. He says he doesn't mind the heat. I know I'm very spoiled by living in the Bay Area and so close to the beach. I do not like the summers here but made do by getting my hikes finished by 9am. The hiking and outdoor life is great.

ETA: Making friends here wasn't too hard. Although I didn't have a job or kids as a way of meeting people I became a volunteer for a local non-profit, joined some guided hikes at a local county park which I later led as a docent and joined a gym. Even though we moved twelve years ago I still have a robust group of friends. If you join a hiking or biking club you'll make friends. Lots of transplants looking for the same thing as you.
Thanks to you both for the info on Phoenix. I did enjoy Phoenix more than Vegas. Spring training was going on so that might have had something to do with it, but there was plenty to doi n and around Phoenix at the time. This was end of February so the weather was good.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Knoxville, TN

That was my impression too. It seemed like a random assortment of cities chosen because they’re “not too expensive,” with no other criteria added. I personally wouldn’t pick any of those places.

If this were me, and I were totally open to anywhere in the country, I would make a list of every city with at least three tech employers that have at least 1000 employees in that location. That should give you a list of cities with plenty of tech jobs. Then I would filter based on whatever your criteria is, pick maybe the top 5-10 locations, and spin up a job search in those locations. And see where that leads.

I would also ignore cost of living, because tech companies tend to pay enough better in HCOL locations to compensate for the cost of the location.
Topic Author
wojo8625

Post by wojo8625 »

dbr wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:27 pm
wojo8625 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:20 pm
Knoxville, TN

Someone suggested Austin and Salt Lake City, also Raleigh-Durham.
Thank you for the suggestions. I will look into. SLC did not even cross my mind. Raleigh makes me think of the Andy Griffith show. I think Mayberry was supposed to be near there lol.
Topic Author
wojo8625

Post by wojo8625 »

nydoc wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:33 pm I have been to all of them and they all seemed dead. Phoenix is the best here. Just move to Dallas area, entire USA is moving there.

I would rather not move to where everyone else is. :)
Topic Author
wojo8625

Post by wojo8625 »

ThankYouJack wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:34 pm
wojo8625 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:51 pm

+1 on Charlotte. Pretty cool city and closer to the coast if that matters to you.
Added to the list
Summers not too hot?
stan1

Post by stan1 »

wojo8625 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:20 pm Any other suggestions welcome.
Reno, NV - outdoors plus tech overflow from Silicon Valley that should get larger with time
Salt Lake City/Provo/Orem - large tech workforce, growing economy, multiple large universities, lots of outdoors activities, some snow but not like upper Midwest
Columbus, OH - research university with lots of tech grads, some don't want to leave
Nashville, TN - strong growing economy
Austin, TX - not low cost any more but not Silicon Valley or Manhattan either. Many tech jobs.
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

wojo8625 wrote: Raleigh makes me think of the Andy Griffith show. I think Mayberry was supposed to be near there lol.
I'm guessing you've never been since you're basing things on a fictional show from the 60s. Where do you live now(if you care to say) and where have you been in the US?
Topic Author
wojo8625

Post by wojo8625 »

quantAndHold wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:41 pm
Knoxville, TN

That was my impression too. It seemed like a random assortment of cities chosen because they’re “not too expensive,” with no other criteria added. I personally wouldn’t pick any of those places.

If this were me, and I were totally open to anywhere in the country, I would make a list of every city with at least three tech employers that have at least 1000 employees in that location. That should give you a list of cities with plenty of tech jobs. Then I would filter based on whatever your criteria is, pick maybe the top 5-10 locations, and spin up a job search in those locations. And see where that leads.

I would also ignore cost of living, because tech companies tend to pay enough better in HCOL locations to compensate for the cost of the location.
Thought I went over the criteria in the OP.

Other than Phoenix and Vegas, pretty much every other city was within driving distance of family. I could make an exception for a city like Phoenix.

Thank you for the suggestion. Perhaps some other cities will come up.
Topic Author
wojo8625

Post by wojo8625 »

stan1 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:48 pm
wojo8625 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:20 pm Any other suggestions welcome.
Reno, NV - outdoors plus tech overflow from Silicon Valley that should get larger with time
Salt Lake City/Provo/Orem - large tech workforce, growing economy, multiple large universities, lots of outdoors activities, some snow but not like upper Midwest
Columbus, OH - research university with lots of tech grads, some don't want to leave
Nashville, TN - strong growing economy
Austin, TX - not low cost any more but not Silicon Valley or Manhattan either. Many tech jobs.
I chose Knoxville over Nashville on my short list, mainly due to weather. With it being closer to the Smoky Mountains, the summers are more mild. No doubt Nashville has the bigger and better economy though.

Columbus did cross my mind but I chose Cincinnati when comparing the two, with it being further south. I would be open to Columbus though.

Reno...interesting.

Same with Austin. But if I am going to have to fly to visit family, I would say that I would prefer the southwest. I would not completely rule out Texas tho.
Topic Author
wojo8625

Post by wojo8625 »

ThankYouJack wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:51 pm
wojo8625 wrote: Raleigh makes me think of the Andy Griffith show. I think Mayberry was supposed to be near there lol.
I'm guessing you've never been since you're basing things on a fictional show from the 60s. Where do you live now(if you care to say) and where have you been in the US?
I have not.

I am in the midwest. As far as cities go, I have been to all of the cities on my list in the OP except for Knoxville. I have also been to Nashville, Memphis, and Kansas City.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

wojo8625 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:46 pm Added to the list
Summers not too hot?
Charlotte can be humid. That said, if you say you prefer warmer weather then you shouldn't be asking "too hot." While at it, if that's a concern then Phoenix should not be on your list.
MJS

Post by MJS »

wojo8625 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:15 pm Phoenix
Las Vegas
... , nearby biking/hiking trails, affordable housing, and good weather (I tend to prefer warmer weather although I wouldn't rule out a "colder" city if it otherwise meets my standards).
Are you a morning person, rising before the sun during the summertime? Is 4am a wonderful time for you? From mid-April to mid-October, outdoor exercertion happens between 4am-9am. If the day begins for you at 10am, avoid these two cities.

But - lovely sunrises, lots of critters still roaming the washes and trails, and soft warm air - it is a truly beautiful time to be out.
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Bacon F.