How to insure quality car parts for repair ?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bluegill

How to insure quality car parts for repair ?

Post by bluegill »

I need my pickup truck suspension parts replaced on my 20 year old Mazda B3000 pickup truck (same as Ford Ranger XLT).
A mechanic has a broad range of quality of quality parts.
Front low to high priced shocks might be a factor of 3. e,g. $8 to $24
Is there a way to ensure the mechanic use quality parts ?
Maybe consumer specify to use only a certain brand of parts, such as Monroe or NAPA parts.

replace --- front shocks & struts, Rear shocks, inner & outer tie rods

Added a day later. Tire & Brake store says I have worn out shock absorbers. 2 front shocks cost $130 each; 2 rear shocks cost $118 each; Labor to remove and replace shock is 1 hour for $180. total cost $676. RockAuto has cheap shocks for $10 each, and high quality shock are $40 each.
Last edited by bluegill on Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JoeRetire

Re: How to insure quality car parts for repair ?

Post by JoeRetire »

bluegill wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:06 pm
Use a mechanic you trust. Tell them that you want quality parts, and are willing to pay for the privilege.
I love a good nap. Sometimes it’s the only thing getting me out of bed in the morning.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

In general a good mechanic will use good quality parts as they don't' want to deal with returns but there are cases where I am most comfortable with OEM parts and I specify that and note that I am willing to pay the difference. I have had zero pushback from any mechanic when specifying I want the OEM part. Beyond OEM unless you have some real experience with the parts I'd hesitate to specify a certain brand. A lot of brand have various quality levels and may be be good at one thing (say alternators) but not another (water pumps).
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Ask the mechanic you select about the parts he/she plans to use. Or DIY :D
260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb »

JoeRetire wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:13 pm
Use a mechanic you trust. Tell them that you want quality parts, and are willing to pay for the privilege.
Yes this, but also perhaps look to OEM parts and research replacement parts and have the discussion with your mechanic about them unless he is making recommendations. The cheapest parts are often the worse solution to the fix and often fit poorly or not at all. It ends up costing more and taking more time to buy the better part you should have initially.
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

... and ask to see his/ her receipts (trust but verify) :D
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

TexasPE wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:08 pm
... and ask to see his/ her receipts (trust but verify) :D
It seems like asking to see receipts, for transactions that are likely bundled in with those for many other vehicles, would be unreasonable.
Swansea

Post by Swansea »

THY4373 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:30 pm In general a good mechanic will use good quality parts as they don't' want to deal with returns but there are cases where I am most comfortable with OEM parts and I specify that and note that I am willing to pay the difference. I have had zero pushback from any mechanic when specifying I want the OEM part. Beyond OEM unless you have some real experience with the parts I'd hesitate to specify a certain brand. A lot of brand have various quality levels and may be be good at one thing (say alternators) but not another (water pumps).
+1 on OEM parts
mary1492

Post by mary1492 »

Buy the specific parts you want online, and just have the mechanic install them.