Please help me pick out a big TV (and a soundbar).

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
protagonist

Please help me pick out a big TV (and a soundbar).

Post by protagonist »

The options are dizzying and it's difficult to compare sets in the stores since I assume they all have different settings, lighting etc. in the showroom.

My viewing distance should be about 10-11 feet (12 foot wide room).

I've pretty much narrowed it down to the following Black Friday specials:

-65" TCL 6 series. $900.
-65" Hisense U8G. $1000.
-70" Vizio M7. $750.
-75" Hisense U6G. $850.

I'm suffering from analysis paralysis....mostly how much size matters vs. picture quality, and how much will I care. The TCL 6 series and Hisense U8G get the best ratings though they all seem to be rated highly (I like the Roku interface of the TCL but I can always buy a stick), but the U8G is not available above 65" and I seriously question whether the $1300 price tag on the 75" TCL 6 justifies the quality difference vs. the U6G or M7. Rtings.com seems to give the Hisense TVs a small edge at their price points.

And then, how much to spend on the sound system and what to get. I've barely researched that.

I was going to wait until Black Friday- Cyber Monday, but (assuming they honor it) Best Buy seems to have the best prices in general with price matching and they claim that if anything comes down in price within the next month or two they will refund the difference. I have Totaltech with Best Buy so they would even pick up a return and haul it away (or so the salesperson claims....)

Thoughts?

(Thanks in advance....)
helloeveryone

Re: Please help me pick out a big TV (and a soundbar).

Post by helloeveryone »

protagonist wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:34 am The options are dizzying and it's difficult to compare sets in the stores since I assume they all have different settings, lighting etc. in the showroom.

-65" TCL 6 series. $900.
-65" Hisense U8G. $1000.
-70" Vizio M7. $750.
-75" Hisense U6G. $850.

I'm suffering from analysis paralysis....mostly how much size matters vs. picture quality, and how much will I care. The TCL 6 series and Hisense U8G get the best ratings though they all seem to be rated highly (I like the Roku interface of the TCL but I can always buy a stick), but the U8G is not available above 65" and I seriously question whether the $1300 price tag on the 75" TCL 6 justifies the quality difference vs. the U6G or M7. Rtings.com seems to give the Hisense TVs a small edge at their price points.

And then, how much to spend on the sound system and what to get. I've barely researched that.

I was going to wait until Black Friday- Cyber Monday, but (assuming they honor it) Best Buy seems to have the best prices in general with price matching and they claim that if anything comes down in price within the next month or two they will refund the difference. I have Totaltech with Best Buy so they would even pick up a return and haul it away (or so the salesperson claims....)

Thoughts?

(Thanks in advance....)
Sorry to throw in one more thing: see how many hdmi slots there are on each TV. ie - we have four things that connect via hdmi - soundbar, cablebox, roku stick (despite smart tv we got roku stick for a couple apps that smart tv doesnt offer, xbox console)

So no. of hdmi slots may be the difference maker depending on your use.
DMB41

Post by DMB41 »

RTings.com has all of those decently rated, with the U8G being the highest.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/hisense/u8g
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/6 ... -2021-qled
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/hisense/u6g
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio ... antum-2021

Might be worth skimming through the reviews and see if anything stands out to you or if one has some higher rated features that you care about more than the others. Based purely on the ratings, it looks like they will all be similar in quality.

RTings also reviews soundbars so that might be a decent place to start for suggestions on that.
https://www.rtings.com/soundbar
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

I have a similar viewing distance and settled on a 55” TCL Roku / on sale last year Black Friday Walmart $150!

Years ago I thought a 42” would be plenty big for viewing distance, it was too small eapeciallybas my vision declines. I find the 55” to be a good fit, I thing going much bigger would be too large but YMMV.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
Bogle7

Better TV (and a soundbar).

Post by Bogle7 »

LG OLED TV
Sonos ARC sound bar.
Old fart who does three index funds, baby.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

StevieG72 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:45 am I have a similar viewing distance and settled on a 55” TCL Roku / on sale last year Black Friday Walmart $150!

Years ago I thought a 42” would be plenty big for viewing distance, it was too small eapeciallybas my vision declines. I find the 55” to be a good fit, I thing going much bigger would be too large but YMMV.
YMMV is right! 10’ viewing distance is my dividing line between 65” and 77” :D

de gustibus non est disputandum
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:56 am
StevieG72 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:45 am I have a similar viewing distance and settled on a 55” TCL Roku / on sale last year Black Friday Walmart $150!

So given my choices above, at 10-11', you would pick the 75" U6G over the 65" U8G (for example?)
hoofaman

Post by hoofaman »

I wouldn't choose any of those options, I would buy the latest LG OLED
AnonJohn

Post by AnonJohn »

With you in the analysis by paralysis. Looking forward to reading this thread. Note: New TCL series 6 have Google TV as an option, not just Roku. Big plus for me.
tm3

Post by tm3 »

TV: Unless you have an OLED sitting right next to it in your viewing room to enable critical comparison, an LCD is going to look great ...... and the bigger the better (more immersive viewing experience and no real downside). The OS is important and if you like Roku OS that is a good reason to pick the TCL, in addition to the high rating at rting -- but I would opt for 70" or 75".

Sound: The reason to get a soundbar is esthetics. The laws of physics still hold and larger speakers (say, 8" bookshelf with dedicated subwoofer) are likely going to sound better than any soundbar with its 3" speakers. I have a $150 soundbar used on a secondary (TCL) TV and the sound is underwhelming although much better than the TV speakers. Apparently if you go >$500 soundbar quality goes up dramatically.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

protagonist wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:05 am

So given my choices above, at 10-11', you would pick the 75" U6G over the 65" U8G (for example?)
I would, but much of this is personal preference and “what you’re accustomed to.”

ETA: our media room has an 85” screen at less than 10’ for the front row and immersive sound, so that’s what we’re accustomed to for serious viewing. Our casual viewing is done on smaller screens.
Last edited by TomatoTomahto on Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

protagonist wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:34 am I was going to wait until Black Friday- Cyber Monday, but (assuming they honor it) Best Buy seems to have the best prices in general with price matching and they claim that if anything comes down in price within the next month or two they will refund the difference.
You need to read the fine print: Best Buy will NOT match competitors' prices through Cyber Monday. Also, their price guarantee (on their own prices) only applies to select items, not everything they sell.
il0kin

Post by il0kin »

If you buy a smart TV, which you shouldn’t, turn off the Wi-Fi and don’t use the smart TV functionality (privacy and security concerns). Stick with a Roku or Apple TV dongle as they will be continuously updated and are more secure platforms. Do you really want the Chinese parent company of TCL to know what you’re watching and have access to a camera and microphone in your TV? I don’t…
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

helloeveryone wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:13 am
protagonist wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:34 am The options are dizzying and it's difficult to compare sets in the stores since I assume they all have different settings, lighting etc. in the showroom.

-65" TCL 6 series. $900.
-65" Hisense U8G. $1000.
-70" Vizio M7. $750.
-75" Hisense U6G. $850.

Thoughts?

(Thanks in advance....)
Sorry to throw in one more thing: see how many hdmi slots there are on each TV. ie - we have four things that connect via hdmi - soundbar, cablebox, roku stick (despite smart tv we got roku stick for a couple apps that smart tv doesnt offer, xbox console)

So no. of hdmi slots may be the difference maker depending on your use.
Is that really that much of an issue if you are not a gamer and don't need the cable box? Plus, worst case scenario, can't you just attach a multi-HDMI hub to one of the ports?
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

02nz wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:17 am
protagonist wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:34 am I was going to wait until Black Friday- Cyber Monday, but (assuming they honor it) Best Buy seems to have the best prices in general with price matching and they claim that if anything comes down in price within the next month or two they will refund the difference.
You need to read the fine print: Best Buy will NOT match competitors' prices through Cyber Monday. Also, their price guarantee (on their own prices) only applies to select items, not everything they sell.
Good point. I think it applies to anything labeled "Black Friday Sale" purchased by Friday, correct? So I would need to act quickly.
Of course, worst case scenario, you return the TV and buy a different one....if I am not mistaken with Totaltech they will pick it up at your door. At least that is what a sales rep. told me.
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

tm3 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:15 am TV: Unless you have an OLED sitting right next to it in your viewing room to enable critical comparison, an LCD is going to look great ...... and the bigger the better (more immersive viewing experience and no real downside). The OS is important and if you like Roku OS that is a good reason to pick the TCL, in addition to the high rating at rting -- but I would opt for 70" or 75".

Sound: The reason to get a soundbar is esthetics. The laws of physics still hold and larger speakers (say, 8" bookshelf with dedicated subwoofer) are likely going to sound better than any soundbar with its 3" speakers. I have a $150 soundbar used on a secondary (TCL) TV and the sound is underwhelming although much better than the TV speakers. Apparently if you go >$500 soundbar quality goes up dramatically.
I agree re: sound. I'm leaning towards the 70" Vizio M or the 75" Hisense U6G, thinking bigger is better even if you sacrifice some video quality. But for ~$30 you can purchase a Roku stick which should be just as good as having native Roku in the TV, no? I think you can download the same apps onto the stick as onto the TV, or so I am told. So that seems like a small factor to me.
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

AnonJohn wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:12 am With you in the analysis by paralysis. Looking forward to reading this thread. Note: New TCL series 6 have Google TV as an option, not just Roku. Big plus for me.
As per my above post, I was thinking that way as well (buying TCL for the Roku), but you can get a stick for about $30 so maybe you should reconsider making that a priority?

I don't think OLED is worth the price jump at this stage until the tech. matures and prices decline. I would rather put more money into the sound system.
Watty

Post by Watty »

protagonist wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:43 am
AnonJohn wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:12 am With you in the analysis by paralysis. Looking forward to reading this thread. Note: New TCL series 6 have Google TV as an option, not just Roku. Big plus for me.
As per my above post, I was thinking that way as well (buying TCL for the Roku), but you can get a stick for about $30 so maybe you should reconsider making that a priority?
I would pretty much forget about the "smart" features of a TV like ROKU since those quickly get out of date and may not be updated but the manufacture. The manufacture may also not make all the apps you would like available to you. Most likely in two or three years you will need to get one of the sticks anyway.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

protagonist wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:43 am I don't think OLED is worth the price jump at this stage until the tech. matures and prices decline. I would rather put more money into the sound system.
OLED is very mature technology. The first OLED TV came out almost 15 years ago. There have been no significant picture quality improvements over the past 5 years - OLED already reached essentially perfect picture quality. Relative to LCD TVs, OLEDs have never been better value - LCD prices have risen significantly over the past year, while OLED prices have fallen. One of your contenders is a 65-inch HiSense for $1000, which will (literally) pale in comparison to a 65-inch LG OLED at $1500.
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

protagonist wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:05 am

This is probably not the answer you want.

If this is going to be your "main TV", I'd recommend going a little smaller for better quality - particularly with a 10' viewing distance. Having a giant, lower-end TV looks good for your guests and friends, but ultimately, if you're watching shows with lots of motion
I would recommend getting something a little better quality - none of those prices you list blow my socks off as "great black Friday" deals. The Vizio price is pretty low, but I'd be wary of what that TV can do.

On a lot of these, you run into issues with viewing angle and motion blur. So if you're sitting right in the center, watching The Voice, maybe it's OK. but, if you have 3-4 people trying to watch a football game - it won't be good.

I think the sweet spot for price on a good 65" is around $1500 - not to say those are all garbage and you'll hate them. But it can be frustrating to buy a $1000 TV, only to wish you spent a little more.

To answer your specific question, I'd do the 65" Hisense if you forced me a choice on your list.

That's just me.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

protagonist wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:38 am But for ~$30 you can purchase a Roku stick which should be just as good as having native Roku in the TV, no? I think you can download the same apps onto the stick as onto the TV, or so I am told. So that seems like a small factor to me.
I don’t recall the details, but there were differences in formats supported between the stick, Roku Ultra, Apple TV 4K, etc. It might or might not matter to you, but being able to install the same app does not necessarily translate into identical streaming.
CA lifter

Post by CA lifter »

I’d ignore the TV OS, and plan on using only external sources. As noted by others, smart TVs are a giant security issue if you don’t keep them off the internet.

Get the biggest TV you have room for. Make sure you have a plan for mounting it or putting it on a stand, and consider the height. Don’t mount it too high or it will be annoying to look up at.

I’ve listened to expensive sound bars, and they are not nearly as good as a 5.1 or better system. If you have the money to devote to it, plan on spending at least as much for a receiver and speakers as you do for the TV. If you can find an uncrowded Magnolia room at Best Buy, audition speakers there. Try to listen to music with lots of detail in addition to movies. Listen for bass: does it have power, impact, rumble? For music, does it have tightness and precision in the notes, or just a monotone drone? Listen for mid-range: do male and femal vocals sound clear, resonant, and natural? Do acoustic instruments sound like they are in the room with you? Listen for treble. Does the hiss of movie rain sound real? Does the high-hat of a quiet drummer sound full-range and pleasant?
Watty

Post by Watty »

02nz wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:17 am
I don't know about these TVs or Best Buy in particular but one problem with price matching is that large resellers often have models that are made or packaged specifically for them so no one else sells that exact model so it is impossible for someone to sell it at a different price.

Sometimes the only difference will be in the packaging and one TV box may come with something like coupon for a 60 day free trial of Hulu, but that means that TV box has a different part number so the price matching may not apply.
protagonist wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:34 am Thoughts?
If you buy a TV at Costco with a Costco credit card you get a four year warranty and in another thread someone pointed out that they are extending that to five years. To me that makes buying whatever looks good at Costco an easy choice for me.

In another thread someone was agonizing about which TV to buy and someone made a comment like, "If you were a serious videophile you would not be asking about TVs on the Bogleheads, you would be asking about them on a videophile forum."

I think you are really overanalyzing this since you do not seem to be a videophile.
protagonist wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:34 am .mostly how much size matters vs. picture quality,
As long as it is better than what it is replacing the picture quality should be fine for most people.

The big jump in quality seems to be with OLED but that is out of your price range so size is likely the most important.

Be careful though since you can get a TV that is too large and does not look right in the room you are in or if you are sitting too close to it. Bigger is not always better.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

sureshoe wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:54 am I think the sweet spot for price on a good 65" is around $1500 - not to say those are all garbage and you'll hate them. But it can be frustrating to buy a $1000 TV, only to wish you spent a little more.

To answer your specific question, I'd do the 65" Hisense if you forced me a choice on your list.
$1500 is OLED territory for 65" TVs: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-65-clas ... Id=6453321
ensign_lee

Post by ensign_lee »

Just spend a little bit extra and get an LG OLED. And then forego the soundbar.

LG OLED 65" should be right up your alley. Greentoe even has options without tax and with free shipping.
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

OK, I've thought about it more and (at least temporarily) narrowed it to:
75" Hisense U6G $850

Re: OLED....
The $1500 OLED is a low range model (the A1 didn't seem nearly as bright as the C1 in the Best Buy store), and only 65" and almost twice the price. It did look great, but I think I would rather put more money into audio....the U8G looks great too, just not as great.
Last edited by protagonist on Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

ensign_lee wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:51 am Just spend a little bit extra and get an LG OLED. And then forego the soundbar.

LG OLED 65" should be right up your alley. Greentoe even has options without tax and with free shipping.
Is Greentoe reliable? I never heard of them.
Rdytoretire

Post by Rdytoretire »

Size matters, bigger is always better. No one ever said this TV is too big lets take it back.
av111

Post by av111 »

If budget is close to 2k, your choices are good. Samsung TV + Samsung q950 bar is better

But if budget can go near 4k, LG c1 75 inch blows all this out of the water. Pair that with Samsung q950 sound bar and you have a system you may appreciate for a very long time
AV111
02nz

Post by 02nz »

protagonist wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:05 am The $1500 OLED is a low range model (the A1 didn't seem nearly as bright as the C1 in the Best Buy store), and only 65" and almost twice the price. It did look great, but I think I would rather put more money into audio....the U8G looks great too, just not as great.
I'll take the lowest-end OLED every day of the week over the top-of-the-line LCD - and anyone who knows anything about TVs will tell you the same.

You are also making a mistake comparing TVs in the store - first, two TVs will have different settings, it's easy to make one look better than the other. Also, unless your home has the super-bright and harsh lighting of a big-box retail store, Best Buy is a very poor environment in which to compare TVs. The comparison would look VERY different in a home setting. OLEDs don't reach the max brightness levels of LCDs, but with their perfect blacks/contrast ratios, they don't need to. In my home I have my OLED turned to less than 50% brightness. The A1 will be plenty bright.
ensign_lee

Post by ensign_lee »

protagonist wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:08 am
ensign_lee wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:51 am Just spend a little bit extra and get an LG OLED. And then forego the soundbar.

Is Greentoe reliable? I never heard of them.
I've bought 3 OLEDs from them and been very happy. Full warranty too. And since I bought with the Costco credit card, I get the 1 year warranty + 2 years, so 3 years of warranty.
ensign_lee

Post by ensign_lee »

02nz wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:46 am
protagonist wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:05 am The $1500 OLED is a low range model (the A1 didn't seem nearly as bright as the C1 in the Best Buy store), and only 65" and almost twice the price. It did look great, but I think I would rather put more money into audio....the U8G looks great too, just not as great.
I'll take the lowest-end OLED every day of the week over the top-of-the-line LCD - and anyone who knows anything about TVs will tell you the same.
+1 to this. The "worst" OLED is still better than any LCD.

And to be honest, the differences between OLEDs is only distinguishable to people who are videophiles and are actively LOOKING for differences.

It used to be even that every LG OLED was the same visual panel - just different additions on top from the B model, to the C model, and up.
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

ensign_lee wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:56 am

And to be honest, the differences between OLEDs is only distinguishable to people who are videophiles and are actively LOOKING for differences.
well, maybe it was BestBuy's settings....tryiing to shift buyers to the more expensive C1....but the difference between the A1 and C1 was definitely very noticeable side-to-side in the showroom. C1 was much brighter.

That said, nearly twice the price for a TV that is much smaller in size (10" diagonal) for the entry level OLED?
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

protagonist wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:04 pm
ensign_lee wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:56 am

well, maybe it was BestBuy's settings....tryiing to shift buyers to the more expensive C1....but the difference between the A1 and C1 was definitely very noticeable side-to-side in the showroom. C1 was much brighter.

That said, nearly twice the price for a TV that is much smaller in size (10" diagonal) for the entry level OLED?
Not that you need another entrant, but if it were me (a non gamer), I’d opt for a Sony OLED over an LG as of 2021 models. The two companies have bifurcated a bit, with LG emphasizing gaming and Sony video processing. Not a huge difference and I’ll miss LG.

Not for nothing, but in our media room I have spent more for room treatments than video, and 5x on the audio. The video is not the best in the house, but we regard it a better experience to go to the media room. I’ll probably upgrade the video someday (Sony OLED).

NB: I’m not a nutcase with 4 or 8 or 16 or 32 subwoofers (yes, someone on AVSforum), but sound quality can be sublime enhancement of the experience.
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

As a musician I probably focus more on sound quality than video quality.

That said, I will take all your comments in....I thought this thread would simplify my decision process....instead you all have me thinking of OLED again!

You really think the quality of OLED over very good LED would enhance my experience more than getting a set with ~15% more diagonal (23% more surface area)? And enough to justify paying twice as much?
corn18

Post by corn18 »

protagonist wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:19 pm As a musician I probably focus more on sound quality than video quality.

That said, I will take all your comments in....I thought this thread would simplify my decision process....instead you all have me thinking of OLED again!

You really think the quality of OLED over very good LED would enhance my experience more than getting a set with ~15% more diagonal (23% more surface area)? And enough to justify paying twice as much?
Yes. I have a 75" LCD TV in the basement and I watch my movies on my 55" LG OLED in the den. It is just not in the same league. But I will tell you that it doesn't take much futzing around with the settings to make my OLED look worse than my LCD. But when OLED is dialed in, it is worth it. I also have a Sonos Atmos sound system on my den TV. It was in the basement, but I don't watch anything down there anymore. Dolby Atmos + OLED is sublime.
Don't do something, just stand there!
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

So you folks would actually choose a 55" OLED over a good 75" LED set? Any 55" OLED? At 10+ ft. viewing distance?
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

protagonist wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:36 pmSo you folks would actually choose a 55" OLED over a good 75" LED set?
No!
I would choose a 77-inch OLED. Actually, we did.
You only live once.
Cut back on something else.
Old fart who does three index funds, baby.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

I have the Sonos beam and like it, but it is on the higher end price wise. You might start by going hi on the tv and a low end Vizio sb to start, then upgrade that later. I understand they just came out with a new version of the beam, so maybe you can find the old one on clearance.
Lou Sevens

Post by Lou Sevens »

Right before the pandemic started I updated from my 37" and got a 2019 TCL series 5 50" that was $245 ( a steal) from Amazon. I really enjoy the picture along with the Roku interface- i found it quicker than a seperate Roku box. Note it does power on to the Roku screen vs the cable box - not sure if I can change the setting at this point.
I purchased for a family member a V series "43 the summer before- and was displeased as I found out it used a different panel than their 50" which looked better. However, I did like the color of the M series that were out.

Between the two- based on my experience from the manufacturer (again, I haven't seen the specific models you are talking about). I would go with the Series 6. I thought the 2020 series 5 was fantastic looking.

The one thing I don't like is my remote has a Netflix but no Amazon prime video button for the TCL. The Vizio has those particular buttons- but of course this varies per model.

In terms of a soundbar, I am using a YAmaha YAS-109 - it has a built in subwoofer and Alexa. I was considering getting a Bose 900 at some point.
ensign_lee

Post by ensign_lee »

Bogle7 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:12 am
protagonist wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:36 pmSo you folks would actually choose a 55" OLED over a good 75" LED set?
No!
I would choose a 77-inch OLED. Actually, we did.
You only live once.
Cut back on something else.
I personally agree with Bogle7's answer given how much we all watch our TVs, but... I realize that budgetary constraints are factors, so if you can't just suddenly triple your budget to get a TV that will last you probably 10-15 years...

To directly answer your question, if it was a binary choice between a 55" OLED and a 75" LED/LCD ... I guess I would reluctantly choose the 75" LED/LCD .

Your sweet spot IMO is going to be a 65" OLED though. It'll be roughly $1500 from Greentoe (no taxes, remember), and that will last you for a good while. The only "downside" to this is if you're like me, you'll get the itch to get the 77" OLED eventually, and you'll end up spending MORE when you could have just bit the bullet and gotten the 77" OLED in the first place.
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

A 55 inch OLED ($1100 for entry level) is still lot more expensive than a good quality 75" LED set like the Hisense U6G or U7G ($850). A 65" OLED will run at least $1500 for an entry level set.
I can't imagine a 55 inch set would give you the same immersive experience. That is why movies are always better in a theatre with a wide screen, despite that the video quality is nothing compared to what you get even on a home LED TV, no less an OLED.
So what am I missing here? Would you still choose a 55" OLED at a higher price than the 75" LED set, or a 65" OLED over the 75" LED at nearly double the price for the OLED (or more depending on model)?
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

-65" TCL 6 series. $900.
-65" Hisense U8G. $1000.
-70" Vizio M7. $750.
-75" Hisense U6G. $850.

Thoughts?

(Thanks in advance....)
Some people don't like them, but i really like my top of the line Vizio PQ series TV.
newer model of what i have:
https://www.vizio.com/en/tv/p-series/P65Q9-J01
it has a spectacular viewing angle so that one can see from anywhere in the room. and its bright enough even if you have lots of windows.
Last edited by Soon2BXProgrammer on Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Earned 34 (and counting) credit hours of financial planning related education from a regionally accredited university, but I am not your advisor.
tm3

Post by tm3 »

protagonist wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:38 am
tm3 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:15 am TV: Unless you have an OLED sitting right next to it in your viewing room to enable critical comparison, an LCD is going to look great ...... and the bigger the better (more immersive viewing experience and no real downside). The OS is important and if you like Roku OS that is a good reason to pick the TCL, in addition to the high rating at rting -- but I would opt for 70" or 75".

I agree re: sound. I'm leaning towards the 70" Vizio M or the 75" Hisense U6G, thinking bigger is better even if you sacrifice some video quality. But for ~$30 you can purchase a Roku stick which should be just as good as having native Roku in the TV, no? I think you can download the same apps onto the stick as onto the TV, or so I am told. So that seems like a small factor to me.
Go 75" ...... go, go, go! I love my Sony 75" LCD and I've been buying "upscale" big screen TVs for a while (starting with the big box rear projection Pioneer 50").

Adding a Roku stick might obviate OS problems, but ...... I have extensively used a Samsung TV at another location, and it's OS really sucks. There is a built in Samsung TV app that cannot be deleted, and the TV does everything in its power to default launch that stupid app which requires backing out of it to the home screen and starting over. It's a PITA even with the Roku stick added on. The problem is likely made worse by use of a universal remote instead of the Samsung remote (which is crap, one reason for adding the universal), but having experienced this I'd want to be sure that I liked the OS before buying another TV. Sony and TCL are fine in my experience but I have no idea about Hisense.
ensign_lee

Post by ensign_lee »

protagonist wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:29 am A 55 inch OLED ($1100 for entry level) is still lot more expensive than a good quality 75" LED set like the Hisense U6G or U7G ($850). A 65" OLED will run at least $1500 for an entry level set.
I can't imagine a 55 inch set would give you the same immersive experience. That is why movies are always better in a theatre with a wide screen, despite that the video quality is nothing compared to what you get even on a home LED TV, no less an OLED.
So what am I missing here? Would you still choose a 55" OLED at a higher price than the 75" LED set, or a 65" OLED over the 75" LED at nearly double the price for the OLED (or more depending on model)?
I will just point out that you seem hung up on this "entry level" designation. To make an analogy, let's pretend for a second that an entry level Porsche was a little bit more than a top of the line Chevrolet (I don't know if this is actually true pricing wise, but just bear with me for the analogy here).

The "entry level" Porsche is obviously going to be better at everything than the "top of the line" Chevrolet; similarly, A $1500 65" "entry level" OLED is still going to be better than the best "top of the line" 65" LCD/LED in basically every possible way.

Good luck with your decision - as I stated before, if it's a binary choice between a 55" OLED and a 75" LCD/LED, I reluctantly vote the 75" LCD/LED. But your sweet spot IMO is the $1500 65" OLED, cannabalizing the budget you had originally set out for a soundbar to cover the increased cost from 55" to 65". The built in speakers on this OLED are actually pretty good imo - they even have the ability to simulate surround sound by bouncing sound different directions off of your ceiling and such. And you could always get a sound system later to upgrade it.
Last edited by ensign_lee on Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:50 am, edited 4 times in total.
tm3

Post by tm3 »

protagonist wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:29 am A 55 inch OLED ($1100 for entry level) is still lot more expensive than a good quality 75" LED set like the Hisense U6G or U7G ($850). A 65" OLED will run at least $1500 for an entry level set.
That obviously is my mindset, but it may be a chocolate vs vanilla thing.

If you want more info, and more confirmation of the above reasoning, you may want to visit some A/V forums like avsforum.com.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

ensign_lee wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:47 am I will just point out that you seem hung up on this "entry level" designation. To make an analogy, let's pretend for a second that an entry level Porsche was a little bit more than a top of the line Chevrolet (I don't know if this is actually true pricing wise, but just bear with me for the analogy here).

The "entry level" Porsche is obviously going to be better at everything than the "top of the line" Chevrolet; similarly, A $1500 65" "entry level" OLED is still going to be better than the best "top of the line" 65" LCD/LED in basically every possible way.
Exactly. Incredibly, Samsung sells LCDs that are more expensive than OLED - I see 65-inchers at Best Buy for $1700 and $3300 (the latter is 8K). If you put those and the "entry-level" $1500 LG OLED in front of my door, I'd take the LG in a heartbeat.
ExTx

Post by ExTx »

Vizio. Easy choice. I've had my 55" since 2009. No problems.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

ExTx wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:07 am Vizio. Easy choice. I've had my 55" since 2009. No problems.
Vizio is no longer the price leader that it was a decade ago. That place has been taken by HiSense and TCL, which offer better value at the low-end to midrange. Their Roku and Android TV smart systems are also also generally better-regarded than Vizio's own system.
corn18

Post by corn18 »

Rdytoretire wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:14 am Size matters, bigger is always better. No one ever said this TV is too big lets take it back.
Went to Thanksgiving at my brother's house. He had an 84" LCD in a 10x14 den. It was too big. I couldn't watch TV, but I could watch part of the TV. I am typing this laying on the sofa 10' from my 55" OLED and it is way better than sitting 10' from that 84". I think I would say the same thing if I was 10' from an 84" OLED, too.
Don't do something, just stand there!