17.5 LBS dumbbells - where to buy?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
DarkHelmetII

17.5 LBS dumbbells - where to buy?

Post by DarkHelmetII »

Any suggestion of where to buy (online) 17.5 pound dumbbells? Most increments seem to be 15 and 20 but not 17.5. Have found one seller online for 17.5 but substantially more expensive than the 15 / 20 pound options at other retailers. Might just simply be 17.5 is an odd weight and hence this is the reality but thought I'd check.
camaro327

Re: 17.5 LBS dumbbells - where to buy?

Post by camaro327 »

Rogue fitness has them, but they are coated in rubber so they may be too pricey for you. If you can find regular cast iron that may be the most economical.

A very useful size, but not very common.
winterfan

Post by winterfan »

I'm not sure why they are so expensive. Lack of demand I suppose. We ended up buying Power Blocks, but they are a lot more expensive now than when we bought them. There are other adjustable dumbbells on the market though. Maybe look into that? I love them because they take up so little room.
V1RTUS

Post by V1RTUS »

Get a set of 1.25lb fractional plates from Micro Gainz (https://www.microgainz.com/shop) and you can add them to a set of 15s or any other sets you have to give you 2.5lb increments.
"I will do today what others won't, so that I can do tomorrow what others can't."
friar1610

Post by friar1610 »

I have a set of strap-on canvas ankle weight holders into which I insert small weights that are 3” - 4” long. Their diameter is a bit more than a penny and a bit less than a nickel. They weigh 1/2 lb each. I often use 2-4 of these with a dumbbell to get partway between, say, a 15 and 20 lb weight. I can get my hand around the handle of the dumbbell and several of these little weights. It’s not the most elegant solution but it works for me.
Friar1610
TJat

Post by TJat »

May be best to get 15lb dumbbells and two sets of 1.25lb magnetic micro plates. Expensive, but you’d also have the 15 pounders.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I like to use adjustable weight dumbells at home. If you buy specific weights you're going to end up with an extensive collection, assuming your goal is to gain strength.
Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 »

We have several sets of these at my gym, along with 22.5 pound weights. Both of these sizes seem to be frequently used, so you may want to consider a set of 22.5s as well. (Spending more of your money... ha)

I've already done my workout for the day, but will ask one of the managers on Friday if they have recommendations for where to purchase them.