Stamped Patio Color Longevity?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Fordguy88

Stamped Patio Color Longevity?

Post by Fordguy88 »

I am considering having a stamped concrete patio poured with some color to it also. Thinking of going with the wood pattern look and having it be a normal stain color used in stained decks.

$18/sq.ft but I like how maintenance free it appears to be versus a composite deck over time.

Does anyone here have experience with how long this color they have on stamped concrete lasts? Does it fade after say 10 years and start flaking off, slowly fade away, etc?

It sure is beautiful when it's new, just curious how long one could expect the color to last if it was subjected to only foot traffic.

Thanks,
Fordguy88
runner3081

Re: Stamped Patio Color Longevity?

Post by runner3081 »

We had a large patio done at our old house. Moved after 5-years, but zero issues with anything you mentioned below.

Two notes:
1) When first poured and colored, we had somewhat of a low/medium gloss finish on it.
2) We re-sealed it every year.
CAsage

Post by CAsage »

I had a gorgeous brown stamped driveway installed around 2013. No maintenance done. Yup, it faded, but I still like it. The gloss is long gone, color fades a bit with foot wear (like, right by the entrance where everyone steps). Might come back if I got it resealed.
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

I have a stamped sidewalk off one side of my deck, the color was mixed all the way through the concrete. Not a gloss finish as if it was wet it would be slippery. Matches my deck color and my curbing around our plant beds. No fading at all.

Though, over the years I had had to have some sections of the curbing reset because of roots from my many oak trees making sections uneven.

Periodically we have all of it pressure cleaned.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

You could look into integral coloring of the concrete so you never have to worry about it peeling or fading.
walkabout

Post by walkabout »

We had a stamped deck installed around our pool a couple of years ago. The concrete has integrated color. The stamping process adds more color (via powder that is embedded as part of the stamping process. Finally, the deck was sealed. I can’t remember if the sealant had any dye or stain in it. It might be tinted slightly, but the bulk of the visible color is from the powder used in the stamping process. The color integrated into the concrete provides some background color and makes any scratches or faults in the sealant to be less visible.

I would suggest adding some grit to the sealant to provide better grip when wet (they sell an additive for this purpose).

I will also note that our pool deck gets HOT in the summer. Our previous pool deck had some kind of special paint that kept the deck cooler (in part because it was light colored, but I think it also had an additive that helped keep it cool).

Our pool deck is beautiful, I just wish it weren’t so hot in the summer.
Topic Author
Fordguy88

Post by Fordguy88 »

walkabout wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:25 pm We had a stamped deck installed around our pool a couple of years ago. The concrete has integrated color. The stamping process adds more color (via powder that is embedded as part of the stamping process. Finally, the deck was sealed. I can’t remember if the sealant had any dye or stain in it. It might be tinted slightly, but the bulk of the visible color is from the powder used in the stamping process. The color integrated into the concrete provides some background color and makes any scratches or faults in the sealant to be less visible.

I would suggest adding some grit to the sealant to provide better grip when wet (they sell an additive for this purpose).

I will also note that our pool deck gets HOT in the summer. Our previous pool deck had some kind of special paint that kept the deck cooler (in part because it was light colored, but I think it also had an additive that helped keep it cool).

Our pool deck is beautiful, I just wish it weren’t so hot in the summer.
Are you in one of the southern states that typically is hotter than most of the country?

I'm in WI, so the summers are pretty mild here compared to FL, OK, SC etc when I've visited those places in the summer.

I will say even my green lumber deck that was freshly stained at our previous house in Iowa got hotter than blazes on bare feet. Seems like anything with color attracts enough sun to heat up aggressively during the high noon timeframe.
walkabout

Post by walkabout »

North Alabama, so it gets pretty hot here.