Glare/reflection issues with flatscreen TV

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
IowaFarmBoy

Glare/reflection issues with flatscreen TV

Post by IowaFarmBoy »

We had a Samsung flatscreen from about 10-15 years ago. Our daughter gave us another Samsung that is much newer, maybe 7-8 years old that had a larger screen and was 1080 vs 720. Since doing the switch, we have glare issues on the screen from a glass door in the wall opposite the tv. If we sit directly in front, glare is fine. If we sit at an angle to the tv on the side opposite the door, we get a reflection of the door. I think the old one must have been a matte finish on the screen and the new one must be glossier.

I'm looking for solutions. I could put something over the door but that would defeat the purpose of the glass. I've looked at some anti-glare films for the TV online but they seem rather expensive. I've googled about low glare tv's and the main issues seem to be brightness and possibly the screen.

Any suggestions? Any reasonable sources of anti-glare film that will work? Or recommendations for the type of TV to buy?

Thanks!
JoeRetire

Re: Glare/reflection issues with flatscreen TV

Post by JoeRetire »

IowaFarmBoy wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:28 am Any suggestions? Any reasonable sources of anti-glare film that will work? Or recommendations for the type of TV to buy?
Change where you sit.
I love a good nap. Sometimes it’s the only thing getting me out of bed in the morning.
Drelk3

Post by Drelk3 »

Sometimes offsetting the vertical angle by a few degrees will help. We have a glossy screen tv opposite glass sliding doors and by angling tv by about 5 degrees we’ve had no glare issues

Drelk3
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Most TV screens reflect light from nearby sources - light coming from doors, windows, light fixtures, etc. Very little you can do about that reflectivity except blocking that light source/darkening the room. TVs with highly reflective screens tend to work better in darkened "theater" style rooms with little to no direct lighting.

Before purchasing a new TV, if you have a light, bright viewing environment, it may be a good idea to check ratings for tested screen reflectivity and overall brightness rating on specific models. TV that have screens with higher brightness rating have the ability to somewhat minimize reflected room light.
Topic Author
IowaFarmBoy

Post by IowaFarmBoy »

I don't think there is a great solution but the old tv didn't really have issues. Not sure what the differences are. We've considered just putting it back but hate to give up the size and improved quality.
yosh99

Post by yosh99 »

There are companies that sell anti-glare films for TV screens. We had one on our previous flat screen. It reduced the brightness somewhat, but the improvement in glare was significant.
Sic Vis Pacem

Post by Sic Vis Pacem »

Drelk3 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:44 pm Sometimes offsetting the vertical angle by a few degrees will help. We have a glossy screen tv opposite glass sliding doors and by angling tv by about 5 degrees we’ve had no glare issues

Drelk3
Second. Try a small shim in the front or back and see if that helps. A very small adjustment turned a very nasty glare to an acceptable one in our living room that has windows on three sides.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

I have three plasma TVs, one of which has a matte screen. It excels in a room with lots of daylight, but our other two are far better for viewing in dimly lit rooms. If I had to pick a TV for viewing in a brightly lit room, I would try to find one with a screen designed with that in mind. I can't imagine putting a filter or film over a TV screen.

If I were OP, I would try adjusting viewing angles as recommended by others. If that didn't help, I would consider alternative placement in the room if possible. If that is a no-go, can you live with only the head-on viewing positions when necessary? I assume it is impossible to find something to put on the door that can open and close that would be satisfactory?
Topic Author
IowaFarmBoy

Post by IowaFarmBoy »

Thanks everyone! I'll give playing with the angle a try. That makes a lot of sense. I don't know if my current mount allows for a lot of adjustment but I can always change that out.