Archival Poster Storage

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Alkali Ike

Archival Poster Storage

Post by Alkali Ike »

I have some large (54" x 36") posters which need to be stored long term using an acid free medium.

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for which products provide a safe and economical means of accomplishing this ?
It looks like my options are wraps, bags, boxes and tubes.
Here's one of the first items which caught my attention : https://www.hollingermetaledge.com/vari ... age-boxes/

Any advice would be greatly appreciated !!

Re: Archival Poster Storage

Post by 123 »

I would think it would be much better to store them flat. If they are stored rolled whenever they are unrolled I would think they would be subject to wear and tear.

Of course it's much more difficult to store them flat. Flat storage of that size would require a container that would most likely be kept under a bed.

U-Haul has large mirror boxes, you might need to "telescope" two boxes to accommodate your required size. But that's only a big outer cardboard box, you still have to protect the items inside it if you need "museum" type storage.

Depending on how many you have maybe its easier to simply frame them and display them if you've got the space and no adverse light situations.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

Stainless steel box.
Inert argon atmosphere.

or

Ask these people for advice. They have 120,000 posters.
http://www.collezionesalce.beniculturali.it
It is a fun museum. Loved our visit.
Last edited by Bogle7 on Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

123 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:26 pm I would think it would be much better to store them flat. If they are stored rolled whenever they are unrolled I would think they would be subject to wear and tear.

Of course it's much more difficult to store them flat. Flat storage of that size would require a container that would most likely be kept under a bed.

U-Haul has large mirror boxes, you might need to "telescope" two boxes to accommodate your required size. But that's only a big outer cardboard box, you still have to protect the items inside it if you need "museum" type storage.

Depending on how many you have maybe its easier to simply frame them and display them if you've got the space and no adverse light situations.
Rolled up seems like it would be much easier for someone in the future to dispose of, which I think is the logical conclusion for archival poster storage. Especially if they are short enough to stand in the recycling bin.

But, if it was actually needed, it sure seems like getting a way to have them flat would be the way to go.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Most libraries that store large antique maps have map cases that hold them flat with large sheets of archival paper between the maps. I can't see why posters couldn't be stored in similar fashion.
sport

Post by sport »

In the past, before engineering drawings were digital, they were drawn on paper and stored in cabinets with large shallow drawers.
As I recall, most of those cabinets were made of steel. Perhaps a dealer of used office equipment would have such items.

A quick search shows they are still being made https://www.draftingsuppliesdew.com/dra ... flat-files
However, new ones are expensive. It seems used ones would work fine.
MrMars

Post by MrMars »

depending on how much you want to invest and how many of these posters you have, a system like used for architecture blue prints, a flat file, is what you need. store these FLAT. If rolled up over prolonged periods it can take months to get something to flatten out. Use craft or glassine paper between prints. Art portfolios are also a thing but I don't recall ever seeing one of that size.
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

Your posters are very large, so the first and most important decision is whether you are going to store them flat or rolled. Flat is better, but if your posters are on good quality, strong paper that isn't damaged (no tears, no flaking, no water damage, etc.), then rolling them around a large-diameter (at least 6") archival tube before placing into a box is also an option.

You may want to look at this: https://www.talasonline.com/Heritage-Ar ... Tube-Boxes

This is a better design than the Hollinger boxes in your original post, because the poster won't be touching the box on one side. The problem with tube boxes is that you can't store them on the short side (that will put pressure on the edges of the poster), and if you store them flat on the long side, then part of your poster will permanently be in contact (and under pressure) with the box/shelf. The Talas box suspends the poster so there isn't any pressure and it's what conservators do to store fragile fabrics that are too large to store flat.

If you have the space to store them flat, then see if you can source some 100% cotton rag archival mat boards (at least 4-ply, though 8-ply is better for you since your posters are oversized) that are about 1" longer than your poster on each side, and then store them between these mat boards. It will take up a lot of space, but is a superior way of storing posters if they are important to you than rolling them. If you can't find cotton rag mat boards of those sizes, you may be able to find B-Flute acid-free, lignin-free corrugated boards of that size, which would work too.

Whatever you choose, you'll probably have to spend at least a few hundred dollars. It won't be cheap to archivally store posters of that size. If cost is an issue, you can roll several posters around the same archival tube like the Talas Box in the link above, but you will need to buy some buffered/unbuffered interleaving tissue to wrap around each poster before rolling the next poster, so that the posters are never touching one another directly. If it's a normal poster printed in contemporary times, buffered tissue is better; if there is unknown or fugitive media or things like watercolors, then go with unbuffered interleaving tissue.

If you have to secure the inner tube of rolled posters and prevent them from moving around, you can wrap a few pieces of buffered interleaving tissue as the final top layer, and then use string or tape (sparingly) to hold them together. The tape should never be in direct contact with any of the posters.

All of the advice applies only if you are really talking about "posters." You cannot store architectural blueprints or diazotypes that way as they are harmed by the alkalinity from buffered materials. You must take into consideration the nature of the artifact you are preserving.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Most posters meant for display are linen mounted. Is there any reason you want to avoid that? Ive also read that this will increase the value for most "casuals" but decrease the value to the most hardcore collectors. After linen mounting i dont think there is any risk to storing them rolled.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

Gaylord specializes in archival materials. I would check them out to see what would suit your needs, and then maybe look look elsewhere for similar items at a lesser cost.
walkabout

Post by walkabout »

When I first read this post a few days ago, I almost posted that I hoped that Caduceus would chime in as this seems right up his/her alley (based on prior questions, not based on my own personal knowledge). I think I’ve been vindicated.
Topic Author
Alkali Ike

Post by Alkali Ike »

A special thanks to Caduceus and all the contributing posters who took the time to reply. I knew the trusty bogleheads would have insight as always.

Linen backing and framing is not an option that I have ruled out. These are original Disneyland silkscreened attraction posters and I want to ensure that they have a long life far beyond mine.
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

You are very welcome. Since your intention seems to be to preserve them for many decades or longer, I should point out that the storage environment is going to make a bigger difference than what materials you use to store these posters. For example, your Disneyland posters, if stored at freezing temperatures and 40% relative humidity with no special archival materials, will do better and last much longer than the same posters stored in museum-grade archival enclosures, but at a much warmer storage climate (room temperature) and higher relative humidity (e.g. 60%). The storage environment is much more important than what enclosures you use. This is generally true for most conservation as long as harmful materials (like staples, loose rust, glassine paper, acidic paper, dirt etc.) have already been removed and the object is in as clean a condition as it can be without further abrasion/damage. (The goal isn't to get it 100% clean, which might risk damaging it.)

In a house, store them in the coolest part of the house with the least temperature/RH fluctuations, and not anywhere near the floor. If you have access to something like a climate-controlled storage unit, that could also work. I'm not familiar with silkscreen posters, but I'm guessing it's a process and doesn't refer to the final product, because artifacts with silk components cannot be stored with buffered materials and you'll have to use only unbuffered materials.

Good luck!