OLED TV alternative

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sndpsopc
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:32 pm

OLED TV alternative

Post by sndpsopc »

Hi all,

After researching on TVs, I see LG Oled as number 1 ranking but I am not looking/interested in that price range.
There are hundreds models and brands like TCL, Hinese are also competing well with common brands like lg,song,samsung.So I am so much confused and not sure where to start the research.
Could you all please recommend any alternatives to Oled. Budget is below $750-$1000 and size 65 inces.

Thanks
Sndp
twh
Posts: 184
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:15 pm

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by twh »

Samsung
Afty
Posts: 1842
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:31 pm

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by Afty »

Check out RTING recommendations for a TV in this size:
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/65-inch

Their budget choice is a Hisense which is on sale at Best Buy for $650.
Topic Author
sndpsopc
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:32 pm

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by sndpsopc »

twh wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:09 pmSamsung
any recommended models in samsung ?

Any recommendated models in mini led,qled. TCL & Hisense brands are ok because I see good comments about them
twh
Posts: 184
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:15 pm

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by twh »

Last one I bought was an LG OLED at Costco. Super nice. LG built in apps are a bit buggy and crash several times a week. Doesn't both me too much, but wife if annoyed. Solid on Roku, but of course that's just HDMI input.

Two previous are Samsung 4K. Both are very nice. Have another older and smaller Samsung and it is still doing fine. Quality brand. Apps are more stable that LG from what I've experienced.

I also have used the rtaings.com site for a number of years - it is pretty accurate, and I'm pretty picky. One thing I will say is that I felt the viewing angle from rtings on the models I did buy was not as narrow as rtings described, which is a good thing :)
andypanda
Posts: 890
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:11 pm
Location: Richmond, Virginia

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by andypanda »

www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/65-inch

They like the less expensive Hisense models. I think a lot of choosing a tv has to do with what you want to do with the tv - movies, gaming, upscaling old tv shows and movies, etc. What do you want to do? How many ports does it have? Will the legs or stand fit on your tv stand, etc?

I spent a lot of time looking at Sony and Samsung reviews and ratings, etc. I/we have owned both.

Then I said "What the heck!" over my wife's concern about spending a lot to replace her old 2006 40" Sony Bravia and bought a 65" LG C1(rtings #1 etc.) Now she insists on watching a lot of the commercials too. We're both retired, so what the heck. If we don't get it now when are we going to get it? :) OLED is a wonder to my old eyes.
Freefun
Posts: 870
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:55 pm

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by Freefun »

I bought an LG 75 UN8570 on sale at Costco and quite happy with it

Also have a cheap Hisense and like that too.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
mhalley
Posts: 9191
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:02 am

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by mhalley »

I have the tcl series 8 from 2years ago and the picture is good. The 6 series gets almost as good reviews.
killjoy2012
Posts: 1267
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:30 pm

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by killjoy2012 »

sndpsopc wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:59 pm Could you all please recommend any alternatives to Oled. Budget is below $750-$1000 and size 65 inces.
At that price range, I would just go to costco and buy what looks best to your eyes in your price range.

OLED TVs will have the best picture quality, but you're talking closer to $2k at the size you want.
Alternative is LED/QLED.

I'd stay away from Samsung given my experience with them. If you're looking to go cheap, it probably won't be a name brand anyway.
123
Posts: 7974
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:55 pm

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by 123 »

twh wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:35 pm ...LG built in apps are a bit buggy and crash several times a week. Doesn't both me too much, but wife if annoyed. Solid on Roku, but of course that's just HDMI input..
We upgraded with a couple of new Samsung TVs this year and had a similar experience with the Samsung versions of built-in Smart TV apps being buggy at times. But just using a Roku gives excellent results. Many current Roku models handle 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
simpleman357357
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon May 10, 2021 4:22 am

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by simpleman357357 »

Samsung 8000 best tv in your price range.
Topic Author
sndpsopc
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:32 pm

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by sndpsopc »

TCL and Hisense are providing the same features at cheaper prices compared to LG OLED and Samsung qled....any inputs on these brands, please?
BlueCable
Posts: 421
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:20 am

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by BlueCable »

I have a cheap TCL 4 series I think. And boy you can tell. It works great for Daniel Tiger and Sesame Street, ok for sports, but I don't watch movies on it due to very poor performance in dark scenes. Lots of backlight bleed.
BlueCable
Posts: 421
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:20 am

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by BlueCable »

sndpsopc wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:57 pm TCL and Hisense are providing the same features at cheaper prices compared to LG OLED and Samsung qled....any inputs on these brands, please?
Many cheap tvs have lots of features. Picture quality is what you pay more for.
invest4
Posts: 645
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:19 am

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by invest4 »

I would like the LG OLED (77 inch)...but yah, expensive and I can not bring myself to do so.

I looked into the TCL last year, but was turned off by the panel problems (lottery as to whether you get a good one or not). I have no idea if it has improved.
leland
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:21 pm

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by leland »

Afty wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:15 pm Check out RTING recommendations for a TV in this size:
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/65-inch

Their budget choice is a Hisense which is on sale at Best Buy for $650.
Seconded this advice. Immense amount of data. You'll also see that there's a lot of good options, just make the tradeoffs you want when you go down from 'best of everything' price levels.

For me Roku TCL 6-series was the choice a few years ago, although I did need to get a replacement within first few weeks due to a bad panel. Consider Costco / Best Buy or somewhere with a decent return policy if you don't have the muscles and vehicle to deal with it yourself.
User avatar
Bogle7
Posts: 1350
Joined: Fri May 11, 2018 9:33 am
Location: Mountain state

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by Bogle7 »

invest4 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:24 pm I would like the LG OLED (77 inch)...but yah, expensive and I can not bring myself to do so.
We did.
+ Yamaha AV receiver + KEF speakers.
$7800 USD and worth it.
Will probably never set foot inside a movie theatre again.
Old fart who does three index funds, baby.
tm3
Posts: 427
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:16 pm

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by tm3 »

LCD is great. Without an OLED sitting next to it in your viewing room you won't see a thing wrong with it.

rtings is very good, but they have gone to a pay model and IMO their pricing is exorbitant.

My preference is Sony. TCL 6 is very good, but Sony is worth the price bump (if any). I've never seen a Hisense.

I'll never buy another Samsung. Their OS is unnecessarily convoluted.
fortunefavored
Posts: 796
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:18 pm

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by fortunefavored »

Creative choice: used plasma TV from the late-2000s. Will have better picture quality than any cheap LCD discussed here.

Downside: Incredibly heavy, use a ton of electricity.

I can't watch any of the LCDs, they all look terrible to me, but I grew up with CRT.
Inframan4712
Posts: 333
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:10 pm

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by Inframan4712 »

sndpsopc wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:59 pm Hi all,

After researching on TVs, I see LG Oled as number 1 ranking but I am not looking/interested in that price range.
There are hundreds models and brands like TCL, Hinese are also competing well with common brands like lg,song,samsung.So I am so much confused and not sure where to start the research.
Could you all please recommend any alternatives to Oled. Budget is below $750-$1000 and size 65 inces.

Thanks
Sndp
Hisense or TCL 6 series with ROKU built-in. Don't buy an Android or Google TV or definitely not budget Samsung or LG. Any budget (including budget Samsung, etc) TV other than with ROKU built-in will be slow and frustrating.

Obviously OLED is better picture quality. But we have 5 total Hisense and TCL including kids in college and very happy at that price point.

My 70" Hisense (I have two) cost $500 at Costco. Can't beat that kind of value. If price is no object, go OLED.
Inframan4712
Posts: 333
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:10 pm

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by Inframan4712 »

fortunefavored wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:13 am Creative choice: used plasma TV from the late-2000s. Will have better picture quality than any cheap LCD discussed here.

Downside: Incredibly heavy, use a ton of electricity.

I can't watch any of the LCDs, they all look terrible to me, but I grew up with CRT.
My Panasonic plasma died last year. Gorgeous, I agree. My Kill-A-Watt power meter showed it pulled 480 watts on bright scenes vs 80 watts with my LCD TV. The cost is not really a worry for casual viewing but the heat in an upstairs room in the South was not ideal.
02nz
Posts: 7500
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by 02nz »

The 65-inch TCL 6 series with mini-LED is $900 at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/TCL-Dolby-Vision ... B0885N17CC

This is probably the best value for money in a high-quality LCD TV at this size.
carolinaman
Posts: 4860
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:56 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by carolinaman »

twh wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:09 pmSamsung
Costco is adverting its Samsung Q8 65 inch for $1199. I bought 2 years ago for $1900. It was one of the highest rated LED TVs 2 years ago and it has been excellent for us.
User avatar
vanbogle59
Posts: 982
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:30 pm

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by vanbogle59 »

Inframan4712 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:24 am
fortunefavored wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:13 am Creative choice: used plasma TV from the late-2000s. Will have better picture quality than any cheap LCD discussed here.

Downside: Incredibly heavy, use a ton of electricity.

I can't watch any of the LCDs, they all look terrible to me, but I grew up with CRT.
My Panasonic plasma died last year. Gorgeous, I agree. My Kill-A-Watt power meter showed it pulled 480 watts on bright scenes vs 80 watts with my LCD TV. The cost is not really a worry for casual viewing but the heat in an upstairs room in the South was not ideal.
Still in love with my plasma. My son has OLED, which is super nice. But I will never open my wallet until the plasma dies.
(Yes, it keeps me warm in the winter too. Is that really a bug or just a warm embrace from an old friend?)
Harri88
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:15 pm
Location: Midwest

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by Harri88 »

I would check out Samsung or Sony. I have a 65 Samsung 8000 series 4k and it has a great picture for non OLED. It is a 3 years old or so. If you have a Best Buy near by, I'd recommend checking them out in person. They are having their black friday deals and look to have many < 1000. Then you could see what looks best to your eyes.
02nz
Posts: 7500
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by 02nz »

carolinaman wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:31 pm
twh wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:09 pmSamsung
Costco is adverting its Samsung Q8 65 inch for $1199. I bought 2 years ago for $1900. It was one of the highest rated LED TVs 2 years ago and it has been excellent for us.
$1200 for a 65-inch is awfully close to OLED pricing (I'm seeing $1500 for an LG 65" OLED right now) - for picture quality that's decidedly not close to OLED.
Inframan4712
Posts: 333
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:10 pm

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by Inframan4712 »

vanbogle59 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:42 pm
Inframan4712 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:24 am
fortunefavored wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:13 am Creative choice: used plasma TV from the late-2000s. Will have better picture quality than any cheap LCD discussed here.

Downside: Incredibly heavy, use a ton of electricity.

I can't watch any of the LCDs, they all look terrible to me, but I grew up with CRT.
My Panasonic plasma died last year. Gorgeous, I agree. My Kill-A-Watt power meter showed it pulled 480 watts on bright scenes vs 80 watts with my LCD TV. The cost is not really a worry for casual viewing but the heat in an upstairs room in the South was not ideal.
Still in love with my plasma. My son has OLED, which is super nice. But I will never open my wallet until the plasma dies.
(Yes, it keeps me warm in the winter too. Is that really a bug or just a warm embrace from an old friend?)
So true,LOL.

But when it dies, you’ll have the solace of being able to go bigger. Much bigger.
Base Hit
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:53 pm

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by Base Hit »

I was disappointed in my expensive TV because that super picture motion and contrast enhancement came at a price. Movies looked like soap operas or newscasts, not film. I wound up turning off all those settings so I could get a normal looking picture (to me), so I wonder if I would have been just as well off with a cheap TV.
EnjoyIt
Posts: 6250
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:06 pm

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by EnjoyIt »

fortunefavored wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:13 am Creative choice: used plasma TV from the late-2000s. Will have better picture quality than any cheap LCD discussed here.

Downside: Incredibly heavy, use a ton of electricity.

I can't watch any of the LCDs, they all look terrible to me, but I grew up with CRT.
I fully agree. I hate the picture quality of LCD TVs. Especially how the motion is displayed with that soap opera effect. Some people don't notice it. I do and I can't stand it. We have two Panasonic Plasma TVs from the beginning of the last decade that I think look way better any of the lower cost LCDs and even some of the more expensive newer models. We watch 4k movies on these 1080p TVs for the better color accuracy and love the results. Now the OLED TVs on the other hand is a whole other story. If I had to buy a new TV today, it would definitely be an OLED.

I just did a quick search and you can pick up a used Panasonic plasma 65" for a few hundred bucks. Maybe it isn't that bad of an idea.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
User avatar
Vulcan
Posts: 1692
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:43 pm

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by Vulcan »

Base Hit wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:52 pm I was disappointed in my expensive TV because that super picture motion and contrast enhancement came at a price. Movies looked like soap operas or newscasts, not film. I wound up turning off all those settings so I could get a normal looking picture (to me), so I wonder if I would have been just as well off with a cheap TV.
Movies are meant to be watched at 24fps.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/home-entertai ... good-idea/

Main benefits of more expensive TVs are higher contrast ratios due to better blacks.
If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything. ~Ronald Coase
User avatar
Vulcan
Posts: 1692
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:43 pm

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by Vulcan »

EnjoyIt wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:24 pm I fully agree. I hate the picture quality of LCD TVs. Especially how the motion is displayed with that soap opera effect.
This has nothing to do with LCD.

Just disable high frame rate (whatever the marketing term your TV's manufacturer uses for it).

(see reply above for a link with discussion)
If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything. ~Ronald Coase
EnjoyIt
Posts: 6250
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:06 pm

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by EnjoyIt »

Vulcan wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:26 pm
EnjoyIt wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:24 pm I fully agree. I hate the picture quality of LCD TVs. Especially how the motion is displayed with that soap opera effect.
This has nothing to do with LCD.

Just disable high frame rate (whatever the marketing term your TV's manufacturer uses for it).

(see reply above for a link with discussion)
I have done that. It helps significantly on some of the nicer, newer models. It doesn't fix some of the other issues and does not eliminate that soap opera affect completely on many TVs
Last edited by EnjoyIt on Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
User avatar
Vulcan
Posts: 1692
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:43 pm

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by Vulcan »

EnjoyIt wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:47 pm
Vulcan wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:26 pm
EnjoyIt wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:24 pm I fully agree. I hate the picture quality of LCD TVs. Especially how the motion is displayed with that soap opera effect.
This has nothing to do with LCD.

Just disable high frame rate (whatever the marketing term your TV's manufacturer uses for it).

(see reply above for a link with discussion)
I have done that. It helps significantly on some of the nicer, newer models. It doesn't fix some of the other issues and does not eliminate that soap opera affect completely on many TVs
The only way the soap opera effect can manifest itself is if the TV for some reason is still generating additional frames between the 24 frames per second that the movie was shot in. Perhaps there's another place in the menu where it has to be disabled, or perhaps the media player does the up-rate with frame interpolation. Either way, these frames have to come from somewhere as they do not exist in the original movie, and generation of these frames has nothing to do with the TV's display technology, be it CRT, Plasma, LCD, OLED, or whatever else.

We have a 10+ year old LCD TV where we disabled "natural motion" (or whatever Philips term is for this garbage) almost immediately, and never had any problems.
If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything. ~Ronald Coase
EnjoyIt
Posts: 6250
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:06 pm

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by EnjoyIt »

Vulcan wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:56 pm
EnjoyIt wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:47 pm
Vulcan wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:26 pm
EnjoyIt wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:24 pm I fully agree. I hate the picture quality of LCD TVs. Especially how the motion is displayed with that soap opera effect.
This has nothing to do with LCD.

Just disable high frame rate (whatever the marketing term your TV's manufacturer uses for it).

(see reply above for a link with discussion)
I have done that. It helps significantly on some of the nicer, newer models. It doesn't fix some of the other issues and does not eliminate that soap opera affect completely on many TVs
The only way the soap opera effect can manifest itself is if the TV for some reason is still generating additional frames between the 24 frames per second that the movie was shot in. Perhaps there's another place in the menu where it has to be disabled, or perhaps the media player does the up-rate with frame interpolation. Either way, these frames have to come from somewhere as they do not exist in the original movie, and generation of these frames has nothing to do with the TV's display technology, be it CRT, Plasma, LCD, OLED, or whatever else.

We have a 10+ year old LCD TV where we disabled "natural motion" (or whatever Philips term is for this garbage) almost immediately, and never had any problems.
Your link did remind me of The Hobbit and how I hated how it looked because of the frame rate. Thanks for reminding me.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
harrington
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:09 am

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by harrington »

I have a 65” LG OLED as my primary set and nothing compares. But I just picked up a 70” 4K UHD Samsung for a room in the basement for $600. I am amazed at the picture quality for that money.
andypanda
Posts: 890
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:11 pm
Location: Richmond, Virginia

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by andypanda »

Our new LG C1 has something called Filmmaker mode along with the usual Cinema, Sports, Vivid, etc. If the film is made to use it, it shows you the film the way the director envisioned it. That's about as much as I know so far. Here's a short blurb compliments of google.

"Filmmaker Mode turns off picture processing features like motion smoothing and image sharpening, which can make the picture look unnatural (what's been dubbed the "soap opera effect").Oct 29, 2021

LG's TVs now automatically enable Filmmaker Mode on ...https://www.whathifi.com › news › lgs-tvs-now-automa"
User avatar
TomatoTomahto
Posts: 13279
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by TomatoTomahto »

andypanda wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:15 am LG's TVs now automatically enable Filmmaker Mode on ...https://www.whathifi.com › news › lgs-tvs-now-automa"
Yes, I noticed that appearing on the screen after the recent firmware update. Very nice.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Goldwater85
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:00 pm

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by Goldwater85 »

65" OLED at home and 65" Hisense at the office. You've priced yourself out of both OLEDs and the cream of the crop LEDs. But Hisense makes a pretty high quality panel in that price range. Suggest trying your luck on Black Friday deals.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hisense-65 ... Id=6457437
twh
Posts: 184
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:15 pm

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by twh »

I turn off all the "enhanced" modes on any TV, including my LG OLED. The picture is really good and the enhanced modes are often messing with a perfectly good picture.
MittensMoney
Posts: 272
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:59 pm

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by MittensMoney »

+1 for the Hisense models highlighted on rtings.com . I bought initially bought an LG from Costco at the same price point & returned it, got the Hisense from Best Buy instead and it's 100x better looking. These TVs won't deliver anything close to OLED viewing but like yourself I wasn't ready to plunge $1.5k into a new TV.
User avatar
Sunny Sarkar
Posts: 2438
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:02 am
Location: Flower Mound, TX
Contact:

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

For picture quality, there simply is no alternative. We own both OLED and high end non-OLED, as well as an older (previous champion) Panasonic plasma TV - and the OLED is not just marginally, but noticeably, better.
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
EnjoyIt
Posts: 6250
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:06 pm

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by EnjoyIt »

Sunny Sarkar wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:59 pm For picture quality, there simply is no alternative. We own both OLED and high end non-OLED, as well as an older (previous champion) Panasonic plasma TV - and the OLED is not just marginally, but noticeably, better.
Your thought is that OLED is substantially better than the older Panasonic Plasmas?
I would agree based on what I see in the stores, but it is very hard to do a side by side comparison because Panasonic stopped making plasmas and I have a hard time buying a new TV when the current Panasonic Plasmas work just fine. The picture quality of these 1080p TVs has improved substantially by giving them a 4k source for our movie watching.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
User avatar
Sunny Sarkar
Posts: 2438
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:02 am
Location: Flower Mound, TX
Contact:

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

EnjoyIt wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:21 pmYour thought is that OLED is substantially better than the older Panasonic Plasmas?
Yes - the blacks are comparable, but the OLED is much more bright & crisp.
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
User avatar
Bogle7
Posts: 1350
Joined: Fri May 11, 2018 9:33 am
Location: Mountain state

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by Bogle7 »

EnjoyIt wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:21 pm and I have a hard time buying a new TV when the current Panasonic Plasmas work just fine.
True.
Until you stop traveling and have plenty of money for new TVs. $10K in our case.
We replaced 2 perfectly good plasma TVs with 2 OLED TVs. Upgraded sound.
Old fart who does three index funds, baby.
EnjoyIt
Posts: 6250
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:06 pm

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by EnjoyIt »

Bogle7 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:06 pm
EnjoyIt wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:21 pm and I have a hard time buying a new TV when the current Panasonic Plasmas work just fine.
True.
Until you stop traveling and have plenty of money for new TVs. $10K in our case.
We replaced 2 perfectly good plasma TVs with 2 OLED TVs. Upgraded sound.
We never stopped traveling. No European vacations, but plenty in North America. Traveling through covid never really scared or bothered me. I was always at higher risk of getting COVID at work compared to some air terminal or airplane. Now that I'm vaccinated, I am fearless :twisted: and life outside of work is more or less back to normal.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
User avatar
Bogle7
Posts: 1350
Joined: Fri May 11, 2018 9:33 am
Location: Mountain state

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by Bogle7 »

EnjoyIt wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:20 pmWe never stopped traveling. No European vacations, but...
We only vacation travel to Europe. And, I will not wear a mask for 16+ hours. I don't care about Covid—after 3 shots—but I think all countries we want to travel to are full of annoying Covid restrictions. (Our last trip was March 2020 in Lombardia, Italia.)
So, we have 2 new TVs.
Our basement went from a 55-inch plasma to a 77-inch OLED. And, the sound system went from the plasma TV's built-in to a Yamaha AV receiver with a 5.1 KEF speaker system. We call it "the Jumbotron".
Old fart who does three index funds, baby.
EnjoyIt
Posts: 6250
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:06 pm

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by EnjoyIt »

Bogle7 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:42 pm
EnjoyIt wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:20 pmWe never stopped traveling. No European vacations, but...
We only vacation travel to Europe. And, I will not wear a mask for 16+ hours. I don't care about Covid—after 3 shots—but I think all countries we want to travel to are full of annoying Covid restrictions. (Our last trip was March 2020 in Lombardia, Italia.)
So, we have 2 new TVs.
Our basement went from a 55-inch plasma to a 77-inch OLED. And, the sound system went from the plasma TV's built-in to a Yamaha AV receiver with a 5.1 KEF speaker system. We call it "the Jumbotron".
Nice. Our family is big into movie nights. Big video. Great surround sound. Comfy couches.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
40 Years' Gatherin's
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:39 am

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by 40 Years' Gatherin's »

Boy, do I miss Plasma TV's.
mhalley
Posts: 9191
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:02 am

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by mhalley »

I had a tcl 4 series 42” and now a tcl 8 65”. No problems, good picture. As with pretty much all TVs these days, a sound bar is recommended.
carolinaman
Posts: 4860
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:56 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: OLED TV alternative

Post by carolinaman »

02nz wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:38 pm
carolinaman wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:31 pm
twh wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:09 pmSamsung
Costco is adverting its Samsung Q8 65 inch for $1199. I bought 2 years ago for $1900. It was one of the highest rated LED TVs 2 years ago and it has been excellent for us.
$1200 for a 65-inch is awfully close to OLED pricing (I'm seeing $1500 for an LG 65" OLED right now) - for picture quality that's decidedly not close to OLED.
I could never get comfortable with the dead pixel issue oled. Some of the sales people I talked with had concerns about the pixel issue too. Also, quality of picture will depend on lighting. LED is brighter and works better in bright rooms.
Post Reply