Most Useful Purchases in Your 50s

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
AnnetteLouisan

Most Useful Purchases in Your 50s

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

I arrived in my 50s kind of too busy to plan for them and unclear about what to expect. I feel and look younger so the reality of 50s doesn’t hit me in the face every day (Maude I’m not!) Also, I don’t see much advertising suggesting products for people my age and maybe a forum like this isn’t the best place for this question.

But have you found consumer products that were especially useful in your 50s that you would like to share? For the sake of argument, since everyone’s different, let’s say 40s-60s.

My faves so far have been: yoga mat, Ajna acupressure mat, vitamin creams, iPhone, pulse oximeter, Minnetonka plush WFH slippers, light weights and Eucerin eczema relief hand cream (for that extra Covid hand washing). Multi focal (different from bifocal) contact lenses are pretty amazing. Has anyone tried the alarm that simulates the gradual brightness of a sunrise?
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KlangFool

Re: Most Useful Purchases in Your 50s

Post by KlangFool »

OP,

I think you are in NY. So, this may not helps you.

Electric folding bike.

KlangFool
40% VWENX | 12.5% VFWAX/VTIAX | 11.5% VTSAX | 16% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 40% Wellington 40% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I bought my first iPhone in my 50s. I've bought several more iPhones since then. I'm sold on Apple's approach to technology.

I bought new furniture for the living and dining areas of my apartment near the end of my 50s, and I'm still happy with those purchases.

I did not buy any cars in my 50s.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Eastonmade log splitter. Great machines. No more shoulder tears by splitting.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

Sitting here trying to think of something, but frankly, I can't remember any important purchases back that far. :?
Gill

Post by Gill »

Bought my first Harley motorcycle at 58. Most enjoyable purchase in my 50’s.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

1. A Billie Eilish recording (.mp3, NOT CD). Her biopic is definitely worth watching. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JUQvUv7QxY

You have to stay contemporary, or you will start growing moss. *laughing* Seriously...as you get older you need to stay in touch with contemporary society, arts, technology, and stay relevant. And it gets harder and harder, especially if your kids are grown and you don't hang out with many young people. Otherwise time will pass you by and you may find yourself lost, confused and bitter, especially if down the line you experience cognitive decline. As Franklin Pierce Adams said: "“Nothing is more responsible for the good old days than a bad memory.”

2. A musical instrument. If you don't already play, learn.

3. Sports equipment. If you don't already play a sport, start.
Last edited by protagonist on Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:51 am, edited 5 times in total.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

KlangFool wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:04 pm OP,

Electric folding bike.

KlangFool
What brand do you own? *curious^
I bought a Magnum for my sweetie. We both really enjoy it. She is a New Yorker, but we ride the bike in MA. I have noticed a surprisingly large proportion of bikes in NYC now seem to be e-bikes. We will probably buy another folding e-bike for our winter home in FL.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

protagonist wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:40 pm

Electric folding bike.

KlangFool
I bought a Magnum for my sweetie. We both really enjoy it. She is a New Yorker, but we ride the bike in MA. I have noticed a surprisingly large proportion of bikes in NYC now seem to be e-bikes. We will probably buy another folding e-bike for our winter home in FL.
A2B Kuo+ for $1,700 a few years ago.

They are cheaper and better option now.

KlangFool
40% VWENX | 12.5% VFWAX/VTIAX | 11.5% VTSAX | 16% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 40% Wellington 40% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
mindboggling

Post by mindboggling »

Extra lighting everywhere. At 68, I can't see well in low light. Also, a few magnifying glasses scattered around for tiny print. If you use a desktop or laptop computer, some decent desktop speakers make a big difference. An inexpensive Chromebook computer dedicated to streaming music into your legacy audio system is nice, too.
In broken mathematics, We estimate our prize, --Emily Dickinson
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

mindboggling wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:00 pm Extra lighting everywhere. At 68, I can't see well in low light. Also, a few magnifying glasses scattered around for tiny print. If you use a desktop or laptop computer, some decent desktop speakers make a big difference. An inexpensive Chromebook computer dedicated to streaming music into your legacy audio system is nice, too.
34"/32" monitor with monitor arm helps too.

KlangFool
Watty

Post by Watty »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:00 pm But have you found consumer products that were especially useful in your 50s that you would like to share?
Not a consumer product but I started doing some more international travel when I was in my 50s before I retired.

I am glad that I did since the pandemic interrupted that and even though it might be technically allowed now(or at least soon) it might be a few more years until we will be comfortable traveling internationally again.

I had not even considered the chance of a pandemic but there are lots of things like health problems which might prevent you from traveling later on.
CFOKevin

Post by CFOKevin »

Highly recommend a pickleball paddle.

Warning though, it is an addictive game. Usually comes with 100 or so new friends. Great way to get exercise while having fun.

Cheers,

Kevin
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

Pull-up bar.
I started very slowly 20+ years ago.

As you surely realize, health, wealth, and happiness are not about "stuff." Could be you already have everything you'd ever need?
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:00 pm I arrived in my 50s kind of too busy to plan for them and unclear about what to expect. I feel and look younger so the reality of 50s doesn’t hit me in the face every day (Maude I’m not!) Also, I don’t see much advertising suggesting products for people my age and maybe a forum like this isn’t the best place for this question.

But have you found consumer products that were especially useful in your 50s that you would like to share? For the sake of argument, since everyone’s different, let’s say 40s-60s.

My faves so far have been: yoga mat, Ajna acupressure mat, vitamin creams, iPhone, pulse oximeter, Minnetonka plush WFH slippers, light weights and Eucerin eczema relief hand cream (for that extra Covid hand washing). Multi focal (different from bifocal) contact lenses are pretty amazing. Has anyone tried the alarm that simulates the gradual brightness of a sunrise?
60's
Air Fryer🌺
Stand up Desk (motorized) $800
Handicap License Plates (low fee)
A new car that fits "me" and what I do. $50,000 + Finally.
A great retirement purchased with many many decades of hard work and sacrifice.
Pelikan Fountain pens and Rhodia Paper and stamps.
Several vintage typewriters (for when the fountain pens are not suitable). . . .

Free stuff:
QiQong
Tai Chi
Musicianship
Walking. . sitting. . .breathing. . being.

Boglehead Forum membership: (cost. . = free).

There is a "glide slope" to health as well as a "glide slope" to financial investment.

With age, the most "useful" and rewarding things , , and actions. . .are free.
j :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

An adjustable bed.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams
mindboggling

Post by mindboggling »

Sandtrap wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:02 pm
Pelikan Fountain pens and Rhodia Paper and stamps.
I have a snail-mail penpal. I use a Sailor 1911 mid-size and a Pilot Cavalier. Would love to get a Pelikan someday. Still experimenting with papers.
In broken mathematics, We estimate our prize, --Emily Dickinson
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:00 pm But have you found consumer products that were especially useful in your 50s that you would like to share?
By far the best purchases have all been experiences and not consumer products.
BusterScruggs

Post by BusterScruggs »

High quality progressive lenses
winterfan

Post by winterfan »

I feel younger than 50 too (technically still have a few months). I was watching reruns of The Golden Girls and realized that Blanche was only 51 when that show started. She seemed so much older! We've been in our current house almost 20 years. Since we seem to stay in one place for a long time, I would kind of like to move somewhere that has a first floor bathroom within the decade.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Gym membership and hiring a trainer to show me how to use all the equipment. Flexibility is important and can't be underestimated, but so is strength training.
“To be a Virginian either by Birth, Marriage, Adoption, or even on one’s Mother’s side, is an Introduction to any State in the Union, a Passport to any Country, and a Benediction from Above.”—Anonymous
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Leica spotting scope. Use it every week.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce »

Sandtrap wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:02 pm Several vintage typewriters (for when the fountain pens are not suitable). . . .
You get more interesting with each post.

I'm at the lower end of the OPs suggested age range for response, but I got a bike in the past year and it has been fantastic. Great exercise in the fresh air, and I've discovered beautiful trails I didn't know existed (or didn't know were so beautiful) in my city.
heyyou

Post by heyyou »

Retirement at 55, became the best years of my life, spent on being physically active and mentally happy, the opposite of the previous state. Having both free time and no money worries, was luxurious. Thank you, Jack.
blueberrypi

Post by blueberrypi »

Disclaimer: not in my 50s.
Bike and a gym membership. Gotta have both for variety and strength training options.

Next category would probably be nice pillows and bed sheets. Pretty affordable but makes a huge difference.
mcblum

Post by mcblum »

i am two weeks short of my 78th B/D so i have to think back about my 50's
We threw out the wall to wall carpet (for health and sanitation reasons) and put in hard wood floors. Has some pros and cons. Looks nice and easier to clean but very hard on bare feet. Therefore, never ending search for house slippers. So now i wear Bean mocs (not slippers) around the place. Need for shoes with griping soles. Have fallen on snow a few times.

Some thing called progressive lenses. A miracle. First hour is hard. They make you feel eight feet tall. Also, be cautious going down stairs. More use of zoom in for print on computer.

thanks to all at B/H's for your wisdom and humor over the years
Marty
Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 »

My recommendation is to keep reading glasses in multiple locations throughout the house.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Hoka one one sneakers. I had never heard of them until I needed them. They're super-padded sneakers that make the difference between being able to walk and being immobile if you have bone spurs and/or plantar fasciitis.

Theragun massager. It allows deep tissue massage and helps when muscles hurt from normal aches and pains. I found a good massage stick is also effective and much cheaper (and was my first massage tool discovery.) I use both.

Alexa combined with smart plugs. This lets me turn lights on and off around the house by voice command. It also lets me turn off everything in the house with a single command.

Chromebook. They're cheap, easy to maintain, and suffice for almost anything I want to do online. I still have a full sized PC, and even a business laptop. But a Chromebook is what I actually use most of the time.

VTSAX. In your 50's you're at or near peak earnings. Shoveling all excess funds into VTSAX during my 50's has had amazing results so far. Yes, I dabble in other things, but all I needed was VTSAX. It's still a good idea to stay diversified, because the market won't favor US forever.

Sous Vide. This revolutionized my cooking ability. I can cook any meat with professional results. This wasn't actually a 50's purchase, because I'd been dabbling with sous vide before there were commercial products. But this is a game changer if you're starting to re-explore cooking.

Instant Pot. This also revolutionized my cooking ability. This has given me the ability to cook beans in many ways, such that they're now palatable to me. (I used to hate beans.)

Garden. This is a source of food, enjoyment, and exercise. I started by growing things I can't buy in the stores.
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

Snow blower if applicable. Shoveling snow is for younger people, even if you're healthy.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

Buy whatever makes YOU happy, healthy and comfortable and you will be fine. There is no once-size-fits-all product for age 50s, not even reading glasses.

AVOID the big purchase mistakes many people seem to make in their 50s and regret for decades -
- new spouse (and costly divorce)
- second home
- home sale and upgrade to a larger/fancier/costlier one
- fancy boat
- new athletic activity which your body/mind is not prepared for and results in a serious injury/stroke/infarction (bike, motorbike, scuba, etc)
German Expat

Post by German Expat »

Another vote for an electric bike. Bought an electric mountain bike (with lights etc. to be street legal here) and its great how often I use it and how much I enjoy bike tours around our area now.
hudson

Re: Most Useful Purchases in Your 70s

Post by hudson »

mountain bike
Osprey packs
IPhone
rocket354

Post by rocket354 »

mcblum wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:54 am i am two weeks short of my 78th B/D so i have to think back about my 50's
We threw out the wall to wall carpet (for health and sanitation reasons) and put in hard wood floors. Has some pros and cons. Looks nice and easier to clean but very hard on bare feet. Therefore, never ending search for house slippers. So now i wear Bean mocs (not slippers) around the place.
Crocs. I tried seemingly everything, and Crocs win, hands-down.
virgingorda

Post by virgingorda »

Mid-late 50s here. As I write this I am sitting in my dad's office, which also serves as my bedroom-away-from-home when I make my monthly visits to my mom (dad passed 5 years ago.) There is a whole lot of STUFF here. And not just in my dad's home office. The house is full of stuff. And while it has been said many times, you can't take it with you. For a while now I have had a rule for myself that whenever I get a new pair of shoes, I have to get rid of a pair I already own, in order to maintain a steady state shoe count. I am thinking I must apply this to other items in my life as well.

With regards to the thread topic, you've given me food for thought. I never thought of products as age-related, but rather how badly do I need them and can I afford them in the first place? There are certainly things I have bought that I could not afford to buy previously, but I can't really think of a single thing that is age-related... Oh, wait, I can!! A plane ticket and a hotel for a weekend vacation with a dear friend! I can do this now much more easily than when we had kids at home. Yes, it is awesome to be able to do this sort of thing.
JPM

Post by JPM »

Exchanged 4WD SUVs for comfy mid priced sedan.
Hoe for weeding. Doesn't do as complete a job as getting down on a knee pad, but quicker and much easier on the musculoskeletal system.
Garden propane torch for weed killing over larger areas away from structures.
Specs and sunspecs for driving, leave them in the car so they don't get lost. Second pair of polarized specs and sunspecs for walking in the neighborhood and taking on vacations.
Gym membership.
treesinthewind

Post by treesinthewind »

KlangFool wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:46 pm

Electric folding bike.

KlangFool

KlangFool
Is there a benefit to a foldable e-bike over a regular e-bike if you don't live in a walk-up apartment or bring it on a subway?
sksbog

Post by sksbog »

Not in 50s yet, close though.

Outsourced all yard work and maintenance and loving it!

Have more time in my hands on weekends.
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

A horse
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

treesinthewind wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:23 am

Electric folding bike.

KlangFool

KlangFool
Is there a benefit to a foldable e-bike over a regular e-bike if you don't live in a walk-up apartment or bring it on a subway?
For me it is the advantage of being able to throw it in the trunk of my car. An e-bike is too heavy for my current bike rack. A non-foldable bike would require a hitch rack, which I might get at some point, but a good one is relatively expensive and more to deal with. Otherwise, no, little advantage.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Electric folding bike.

KlangFool

KlangFool
Yes.

1) You can fold the bike and put it into the car trunk.

A) You can hitch a ride with anyone if your ebike had a flat.

B) It may not be safe to leave your ebike in the open with a bike rack.

2) Some folding ebike is lighter. You do not need a stronger bike rack.

3) You can fold your bike and bring your bike indoor easier.

KlangFool
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

+1 for InstantPot. Completely changed our dinner cooking to a healthier style.

One of my good purchases made in my late 40s was a hybrid bike. It helps me get exercise. Over the last decade I've put about 4,000 miles on it. I'm not hard core, just occasional fitness. Recently I've been irritated to find people older than me zooming by me on the gentle inclines we have around here. Only later did I find out they had "cheater bikes" called E-bikes. :D I'm not ready for one yet, but my next bike purchase will be an E-bike.
Topic Author
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

rocket354 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:12 am
mcblum wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:54 am i am two weeks short of my 78th B/D so i have to think back about my 50's
We threw out the wall to wall carpet (for health and sanitation reasons) and put in hard wood floors. Has some pros and cons. Looks nice and easier to clean but very hard on bare feet. Therefore, never ending search for house slippers. So now i wear Bean mocs (not slippers) around the place.
Crocs. I tried seemingly everything, and Crocs win, hands-down.
Minnetonka London slipper sandals in grey. Plush lined. Amazing.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

protagonist wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:29 am
treesinthewind wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:23 am Is there a benefit to a foldable e-bike over a regular e-bike if you don't live in a walk-up apartment or bring it on a subway?
For me it is the advantage of being able to throw it in the trunk of my car. An e-bike is too heavy for my current bike rack. A non-foldable bike would require a hitch rack, which I might get at some point, but a good one is relatively expensive and more to deal with. Otherwise, no, little advantage.
As someone who has long owned an "acoustic" folding bike, I'll second that advantage. Super-easy to take places. Plus if you get a flat or it otherwise ever breaks down, any nearby friend or Uber driver can get it and you both back home without needing a car rack.

Also a bit safer from thieves, since you can simply fold it up and bring it in to a shop/cafe/restaurant (as long as they don't mind) rather than lock it up outside.

Ditto if you're still working and use it for your commute: Just tuck it under your desk and you're good to go! Or, if you work somewhere with a large footprint (college campus, big warehouse or factory, etc.) you can keep it at work all the time and use it to travel between sites without taking your car. That was my main use for it for quite awhile.
"Stay on target!" -- Davish Krail
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

squirm wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:08 pm Eastonmade log splitter. Great machines. No more shoulder tears by splitting.
a good two stage snowblower!!
when you need to plow over 750 ft (of 3 1/2 - 4 ft) (like we did) then you will appreciate it...helps save the shoulders etc for your later years

I hadn't got a log splitter, just let season a bit and use a grenade and wedge to split up. but I also don't use wood for heat, as some do, but just for fireplace
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

KlangFool wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:38 am

Electric folding bike.

KlangFool

KlangFool
Yes.

1) You can fold the bike and put it into the car trunk.

A) You can hitch a ride with anyone if your ebike had a flat.

B) It may not be safe to leave your ebike in the open with a bike rack.

2) Some folding ebike is lighter. You do not need a stronger bike rack.

3) You can fold your bike and bring your bike indoor easier.

KlangFool
All good points. I can't really think of any major disadvantages.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

While I'm more of an Android phone guy, I do love my iPad. But really, any tablet is great for casual internet use. Not as clunky as a full laptop, but a nice, big screen that makes it easier to read/use than a phone.

Speaking of lousy eyesight, I also really like my progressive lens Warby Parkers. (Although I still use basic readers when on the computer.)

Finally, as others have mentioned, just about anything in these two important categories:

Something to keep the brain going: A musical instrument, an art set, a NYT Crossword subscription, woodworking tools, a nice chess set, etc.

Something to keep the heart pumping: A bike (electric or acoustic), some good walking/running shoes, a yoga mat, a push lawn mower, etc.

For Bogleheads looking for efficiency, note that some purchases help with both of the above, I suppose: Tennis and/or pickleball gear, juggling balls, tap shoes, and so on...
"Stay on target!" -- Davish Krail
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

JupiterJones wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:46 am
protagonist wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:29 am
treesinthewind wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:23 am Is there a benefit to a foldable e-bike over a regular e-bike if you don't live in a walk-up apartment or bring it on a subway?
As someone who has long owned an "acoustic" folding bike, I'll second that advantage. Super-easy to take places. Plus if you get a flat or it otherwise ever breaks down, any nearby friend or Uber driver can get it and you both back home without needing a car rack.

Also a bit safer from thieves, since you can simply fold it up and bring it in to a shop/cafe/restaurant (as long as they don't mind) rather than lock it up outside.

Ditto if you're still working and use it for your commute: Just tuck it under your desk and you're good to go! Or, if you work somewhere with a large footprint (college campus, big warehouse or factory, etc.) you can keep it at work all the time and use it to travel between sites without taking your car. That was my main use for it for quite awhile.
What is an “acoustic” folding bike? - never mind found out meaning of “acoustic” - self powered.
Nver2Late

Post by Nver2Late »

hiking poles.
remomnyc

Post by remomnyc »

Lasik, electric bike, forever home, and new cleaning person.
Randolph Mortimer

Post by Randolph Mortimer »

Late 40's here.

Reading glasses, by far.