Hyundai Tucson vs. Acura RDX vs. Mazda CX-9 [Resolved]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Tirebiter

Hyundai Tucson vs. Acura RDX vs. Mazda CX-9 [Resolved]

Post by Tirebiter »

Once again I come to the Boglehead fountain of knowledge when considering a large purchase. I'm currently looking for a new family vehicle. Terrible time to need a new car but our older teenager will be driving soon and will be taking our oldest car. Unfortunately trying to wait out the current car shortage is not an option.

We want a car that can comfortably seat 4, each of us around 5'10. We want a car with real leather (not leatherette) seats. Wife prefers an SUV. We don't do many activities that require a lot of cargo room. Budget is around $45k with some flexibility.

We're deciding now between the 2022 Hyundai Tucson PHEV, the 2021 Acura RDX, and the 2021 Mazda CX-9. We've ruled out the Honda CRV (numb drive, hard seats), Rav4 (doesn't come with real leather), Kia Sportage (don't like the look), and Mazda CX-5, Lexus NX and BMW X3 (all have too small rear seats). Midsize luxury vehicles are too expensive for our budget.

2022 Hyundai Tucson PHEV Limited: Listing in our area for around $49k (marked up from MSRP $42.5k). We'd get a fed tax credit for $6587 and a state credit for around $1300. So at the end of the day around $41.5k. Size is perfect; tons of rear leg room even if our younger son grows to 6 feet. Quality of interior is probably the lowest of these 3 cars, but still nice. Handling was more responsive than expected. Having a hybrid isn't a priority in and of itself for us, but it gives the car a nice boost in acceleration power (the standard 187 horsepower of the regular Tucson did not excite us).

2021 Acura RDX, AWD, Tech Package: $44k (matches MSRP). More luxurious interior than the Tucson, which is nice. Slightly less rear seat space than the Tucson but still ample enough. It was interesting to note that this was the only luxury compact SUV that had enough leg room for our needs. Better acceleration than Tucson even though hp is about the same (270 hp vs 260). Drive felt about the same as the Tucson. Infotainment interface (track pad) is clunky - a minus. I think it would drive me crazy (I use Apple CarPlay a lot for music and podcasts) but this would be primarily my wife's car and I don't think she'd care as much.

2021 Mazda CX-9, AWD, Touring $42k (matches MSRP). This is a bigger car than what we need, but it handles well for a big car (I wouldn't normally enjoy driving a car this big unless it was a luxury car outside of my budget), and the CX-9 price is competitive with the others. The CX-5 brought us here since we loved it but it didn't have enough rear seat leg room. This one does, although it's a bit of overkill as we'd rarely use the 3rd row of seats. Quality of interior is in between the RDX and Tucson.

I would appreciate any thoughts, observations, warnings on these vehicles, or comparable vehicles that might fit our needs. Thank you!
Last edited by Tirebiter on Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomd37

Re: Hyundai Tucson vs. Acura RDX vs. Mazda CX-9

Post by tomd37 »

Tirebiter - The requirement for real leather is going to be tough as even many of the luxury SUVs (e.g. Lexus) do not come with real leather these days except as part of a pricey add-on package. Having said that and read your other desires, have you considered a Subaru Outback Touring model with the 2.4 turbo engine. That engine is equivalent to my 2019 Subaru Outback Touring model with the old 3.6R boxer engine. These cars come with real Napa leather interiors and plenty of passenger (front and rear) and cargo space. I happen to have a rental today and it is a one-year old Subaru Forester with the standard engine. No comparison to my 3.6R as far as comfort, noise level, handling, etc. As all Subaru's do, it does have excellent all around visibility with its thin A B C and D pillars and entry/exit is really easy. I need both at age 84 and want the power it offers. I get 21.2 mpg in strictly local start and stop driving and 29 mpg on the highway at 72 mph according to my detailed gas mileage records. It also fits your price range with something left over. :moneybag

IMO it would be worth at least looking in to. Good luck on whatever you end up with. Nothing like a new car with all the safety items included in the price.

Edited to add: It is AWD as that is all they offer.
Tom D.
dsmclone

Post by dsmclone »

If you can get past the looks, the Hyundai Palisade is at a different level than all of the SUV's you've mentioned for around $45k. I would say Kia Telluride but you won't find one of those in time. The Telluride and the Palisade are almost duplicates except looks.

The Hyundai drives smaller than you think. It has a lot more interior room but is actually a couple inches shorter than the CX-9.

When I bought our Telluride, I compared nearly everything in the class. I really liked the RDX except the infotainment and interior space. The Pilot is just too dated. I had always heard such great things about the CX-9, so maybe my expectations were too high. I looked and drove the Palisade and besides the looks, it was so much better than everything else under $60k. The only car I didn't drive at the time was the brand new Acura MDX.
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

cx-5 has plenty of room in the back for people under 6'. Test drive the turbo, if you enjoy driving at all, you will be sold.
Topic Author
Tirebiter

Post by Tirebiter »

Thanks for the tips on the Outback and Palisade! I will do some research on them.
theplayer11 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:22 pm cx-5 has plenty of room in the back for people under 6'. Test drive the turbo, if you enjoy driving at all, you will be sold.
We did test drive the CX-5 and loved it. Unfortunately it was pretty cramped for our teens in the back. Perhaps we are just a long-legged people. :)
krafty81

Post by krafty81 »

RDX is premium fuel. Adds up around here!
krafty81

Post by krafty81 »

CR liked the new Kia Sorento. I have a 2014 but love the third row avail when needed. May help with kids friends. Smaller than a CX-9.
FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce »

Depending on where you are, you can find a Telluride. But I think the Kia comp for the Tucson is the Sorento. The 2022 model comes in ICE, hybrid, and PHEV. Your kids might like the option for captains chairs in the second row (standard on the PHEV). Between those three engines and the various trims, there are lots of options, including real leather. Third row is decently comfortable (at least with the gap between the captains chairs), if that would be useful to you, but you have very little storage space when it is in use. Folds down easily, though.
Topic Author
Tirebiter

Post by Tirebiter »

I ended up buying the Acura RDX and am happy with the car so far. I like the combo of comfort, enjoyable drive and good rear seat leg room without being too big. After using it a bit I have more confidence that I can get used to the infotainment interface.

Thanks everyone for your helpful perspectives.
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

If you don't need AWD. The FWD VW TAOS starts at $24125 is one of kind SUV that cost 1/2 to 2/3 of the SUV you listed above. Try a test drive.
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

Tirebiter wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:03 pm I ended up buying the Acura RDX and am happy with the car so far. I like the combo of comfort, enjoyable drive and good rear seat leg room without being too big. After using it a bit I have more confidence that I can get used to the infotainment interface.

Thanks everyone for your helpful perspectives.
Good choice. It’s a great vehicle!
aln10788

Post by aln10788 »

CX9, Tucson, RDX in that order. CX9 is getting old at this point but they have updated the infotainment and screen size. It's surprisingly cramped inside for a long 3 row SUV which is why we went with the Telluride. New Tucson has a divisive exterior design and I am not a fan of all the touch button inside, would get great MPG though and save money in the long run. RDX is really nothing special IMO. The interior design is nice but I don't like the swoopy design. The exterior only looks good with the A Spec package personally. Have you looked at the new Santa Fe? It is slightly bigger than the Tucson and you can get it in a hybrid and PHEV as well. I also think it looks better than the Tucson and has a more premium interior.
FandangoDave5010

Post by FandangoDave5010 »

The 2021 Mazda CX-5 AWD Turbo is for my wife, so that trunk space or backseat leg room is not a major issue. The driver's seat can always be pushed forward. It has a color coordinated interior, some real wood highlights, and a nice wide info screen. It uses regular gas but premium gas will increase the HP by 10%, which proves useful on the freeway or mountainous roads where we live. The front wheels are approved for chains so that we will skip the winter change over to snow tires. Her former car was a 2017 Acura RDX that was totaled in a minor accident. The CX-5 is just as nice (better in my opinion) for $5K less. The RDX replaced a 2014 Subaru Forester Turbo, which lacked the power to easily climb the 17% grade on the dirt road to our mountainside driveway. The CX-5's Turbo has no such problem, even in Drive.

I have a GMC Canyon pickup to offset any problems of hauling stuff around, such as 4x8 plywood sheets or 40 gallon garbage containers. Thus, for us, the CX-5 is more than OK. You may want to keep it on your list of choices.
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

Bogleheads really like plugs in our cars to reduce cost of gas (most day trips to drop kids off or go to work are within the electric range) and make them less smelly(Have you ever gone for a bike ride behind a line of cars that uses gas? ).
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Honda Passport Elite AWD?
V6
No turbo
Leather
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
DurangoWino

Post by DurangoWino »

Recently purchased a Hyundai Santa Fe Hybrid and absolutely love it. Replaced an Acura MDX. There was a Tucson and Santa Fe side by side on showroom floor and just no comparison between the two. We actually came to the dealership wanting the Tucson and the Santa Fe was just the better of the two. After driving it for two weeks with a road trip to New Orleans we feel like it is far and away the best SUV/car we have ever owned. Will look to buy another one when this one wears out!
ShaftoesSpreadsheet

Post by ShaftoesSpreadsheet »

I see you ruled it out above, but I have to say the Rav4 Prime (PHEV) is an excellent vehicle. I find the cloth seats in my Rav4 Prime SE are comfy, supportive and shape nice to my body. Especially in the head/neck area which I value in case of a rear end job. They are similar to what a Volvo seat feels like but without having to own a Volvo... For me seat comfort is a big deal and Toyota exceeded my expectations on this model. The Rav4 Prime XSE which is the premium trim level has 'softtex' seats, not true leather so maybe that is a deal breaker. In my opinion Toyota is really catching up and in fact exceeding the competition on all fronts with what the Rav4 Prime offers. Not to mention $7500 Fed tax credit and possible state credits make it a great deal.
Mako

Post by Mako »

I will go against the grain, which you may shut down immediately and that's fine...instead of buying a new and expensive nicer car for you while giving the teenager your family car, keep your current car for a couple years and get a newer used, but smaller and cheaper car, for the teenager. If there is a markup at this time get a (hopefully) smaller markup on a cheaper car for the kid, and get a better car for yourself in two years when prices are (again hopefully) back closer to what we see as normal.
highercall

Post by highercall »

We have had a Tucson hybrid blue for three months now and love it. Averaging the estimated 38 mpg on each tank of gas.
RCL

Post by RCL »

Always makes me laugh when people respond to the OP's questions without reading all the responses first.
Hint, the OP purchased a car on October 31 :oops:
Mako

Post by Mako »

RCL wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:51 pm Always makes me laugh when people respond to the OP's questions without reading all the responses first.
I usually do, so I'm disappointed in myself :oops: . But the OP should update their original post in such a case IMO.
RCL

Post by RCL »

Mako wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:07 pm
RCL wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:51 pm Always makes me laugh when people respond to the OP's questions without reading all the responses first.
I usually do, so I'm disappointed in myself :oops: . But the OP should update their original post in such a case IMO.
No big deal...nothing to be disappointed about. And you're correct, the OP should either update post or add resolved to the thread title
Mike83

Post by Mike83 »

I was all set to go for a Tucson hybrid, then last week the crash tests came out for a number of SUVs in this class. They were previously unavailable. Tucson did very poorly, enough to change my intent.
Lucien786

Post by Lucien786 »

I have an RDX as well and I think you made the right decision. I've got a big family I wanted to fit too. It's a very good mix of attractive features. Also very good looking in my opinion.
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

After a catastrophic mechanical failure on my old car I'm reluctantly in the market for a vehicle in this class, so the ongoing discussion is very helpful.

Lots of eyes here and lots of people with lots of reasons to peruse topics :D
Topic Author
Tirebiter

Post by Tirebiter »

RCL wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:30 pm OP should either update post or add resolved to the thread title
My apologies - didn't realize that would be helpful. Doing it now.