Host gift for Thanksgiving

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
PinotGris

Host gift for Thanksgiving

Post by PinotGris »

We will be attending Thanksgiving out of town. Aside from food such as a pie or wine and cheese and stuff that can be carried, i am trying to think of an impressive gift. We will be spending a night or two with them.
What host/hostess gifts have you received that surprised and delighted you?
Some things that occurred to me :
Travel items.
Fine linen for the guest room we will be using.
They ski. Gourmet cook.
Budget: $100+ within that range. It should show.
MAKsdad

Re: Host gift for Thanksgiving

Post by MAKsdad »

I wouldn't overthink it...just bring wine.

Edit to add: Or a nice bottle of scotch or bourbon if wine is too common.

I chuckled at the "fine linen" idea. If I got that as a gift from a guest my reaction would be "oh, they don't think we have nice enough sheets for them to sleep on".
Last edited by MAKsdad on Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

If doing wine, find out what type they like and poke around in Vivino for a bit while in the wine/liquor store. Really good resource - we use it all the time.

www.vivino.com
gatorking

Post by gatorking »

Yeti mugs, growlers
Solo stove (https://www.solostove.com/solo-stove-campfire/)
canidothat

Post by canidothat »

A home decor? Like a vase with flowers or anything similar.

LOL I remember I spent thanksgiving at my partner's home in California and I gave them an outdoor chair which I thought was going to be perfect considering we will be spending our day in the backyard from a local spot in downtown and they LOVE it. It was a bit too much but you know we have to make an impression 8-)
snapping moments–one bajillion buttons at a time
MJS

Post by MJS »

Flowers delivered the day before you arrive. Or ... Work with your host/hostess to provide matching flower arrangements for the dinner table(s).
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Bacon F.
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

When I host gatherings, parties, holiday meals, the invitees presence is all I ask for. If they decide to bring a bottle of wine or a side dish to share its a bonus...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

I'd be very weirded out if a guest brought sheets as a gift. Don't overthink this.

Flowers/wine/food make the most sense here, or possibly something unique from your hometown.
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

It is a gesture. It is not Christmas. Keep it in bounds.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

I would think one can't go wrong with a nice wine, unless the hosts (or someone else you know will be present) do NOT want alcohol around, for any of several reasons.

I would NOT appreciate someone bringing something to eat, after I've arranged a menu, preparation, plans how/when to serve the meal.
If it's something that could be eaten LATER, that might not be so bad.
But for a one or two night stay, I'd already have all the meal planned and food in the house. I wouldn't be going shopping the morning after Thanksgiving, planning to cook the day after when I have guests AND we probably have some leftovers (which are usually enjoyed!).

But... you know your hosts and we don't :wink:

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

A hotel room close by.
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
squirm

Post by squirm »

Marble rye from Schnitzers.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

pizzy wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:30 am A hotel room close by.
:happy

This is definitely something to consider unless they are the type to get horribly offended by this offer/suggestion.
Many would be delighted/relieved, even if they protested.
That's probably more of a concern for a longer stay...
Attributed to Franklin: "guests, like fish, begin to smell after three days"

RM
chris319

Post by chris319 »

Two words: gift cards.

You decide the amount and they spend it on whatever they want.

I have a relative who solved this dilemma lickety split with those two words when I asked her what she wants for xmas.
Last edited by chris319 on Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Financial decisions based on emotion often turn out to be bad decisions.
TinyElvis

Post by TinyElvis »

A subscription to the Jelly of the Month club. It's the gift that keeps on giving. ;-)

Seriously, good wine and /or really good olive oil is always appropriate and always well-received. As it is a gift, just ensure that your hostess knows that it is an item for them to enjoy and is not expected to be opened / consumed over Thanksgiving.
"Give a cat a fish and it will eat for a day. Teach a cat to fish and it will just sit there waiting for you to give it a fish."
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

ResearchMed wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:26 am I would think one can't go wrong with a nice wine, unless the hosts (or someone else you know will be present) do NOT want alcohol around, for any of several reasons.
I'm always surprised with these gifting threads, inevitably the most popular answer is always "a good wine". Considering ~45% of the adult population drinks less than once a month and ~30% never drink at all, pretty significant statistical chance that you could go wrong. But, if you are close enough to someone to be spending Thanksgiving with them and staying at their home, I assume you would know them well enough to know whether they drink. Personally, I always go with something a little unique from where I am from that I am pretty sure everybody would enjoy; last time I was in a similar position I brought some bars of chocolate from Ritual (a local chocolate maker that has won multiple global competitions).
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

MAKsdad wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:36 am I wouldn't overthink it...just bring wine.

I chuckled at the "fine linen" idea. If I got that as a gift from a guest my reaction would be "oh, they don't think we have nice enough sheets for them to sleep on".
It's a fine recommendation if they like wine.

People buy me wine all the time. I have a bunch of unopened wine that I haven't gotten around to gifting to other people.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

stoptothink wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:05 pm
ResearchMed wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:26 am I would think one can't go wrong with a nice wine, unless the hosts (or someone else you know will be present) do NOT want alcohol around, for any of several reasons.
I'm always surprised with these gifting threads, inevitably the most popular answer is always "a good wine". Considering ~45% of the adult population drinks less than once a month and ~30% never drink at all, pretty significant statistical chance that you could go wrong. But, if you are close enough to someone to be spending Thanksgiving with them and staying at their home, I assume you would know them well enough to know whether they drink. Personally, I always go with something a little unique from where I am from that I am pretty sure everybody would enjoy; last time I was in a similar position I brought some bars of chocolate from Ritual (a local chocolate maker that has won multiple global competitions).
When we had vacation rental properties, for any known anniversary/celebration or major holiday, we always had some sparkling cider in the fridge to welcome them, in addition to the regular goodies and souvenirs.
IF it was a returning guest, and we knew enough about them, then we'd get them a bottle of wine from a local winery, but not unless we were *sure*.

RM
skp

Post by skp »

I was thinking of getting chocolate caramel pecan covered candy apples
Stumptowngal

Post by Stumptowngal »

I think consumable gifts are the best choice unless you know the person extremely well. While I always appreciate a bottle of fine wine, if you don‘t know their wine preferences, I’d consider a gift pertaining to their gourmet cooking hobby you mentioned.

A fine olive oil beyond what they might usually purchase and a selection of gourmet sea salts (peruse “The Meadow” site) come to mind.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Stumptowngal wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:15 pm I think consumable gifts are the best choice unless you know the person extremely well. While I always appreciate a bottle of fine wine, if you don‘t know their wine preferences, I’d consider a gift pertaining to their gourmet cooking hobby you mentioned.

A fine olive oil beyond what they might usually purchase and a selection of gourmet sea salts (peruse “The Meadow” site) come to mind.
I agree. If I need a new lamp, table, set of linens, etc I'll buy what I want for my home. I hate to be ungracious but I've received things like that for various holidays and my internal reaction is "great, what am I going to do with THIS?"

We all have enough material possessions at this point. Experiences and consumables are a much better gift unless you know otherwise.
brian91480

Post by brian91480 »

When staying overnight with friends in the past... only happened a few times, as usually I get a hotel... but I have sent a Thank You Gift after I had left.

Once a box of fine European Chocolates. Another time a box of goodies from Omaha Steaks. Another time a delivery of Edible Arrangements chocolate / fruit.
PVW

Post by PVW »

squirm wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:39 am Marble rye from Schnitzers.
They'd probably forget to put it out. And taking it back would be a whole ordeal. Might have to avoid them for the rest of your life. Or sneak it back in while they're out on a hansom cab ride with a gassy horse.
Topic Author
PinotGris

Post by PinotGris »

ResearchMed wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:42 am
pizzy wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:30 am A hotel room close by.
:happy

This is definitely something to consider unless they are the type to get horribly offended by this offer/suggestion.
Many would be delighted/relieved, even if they protested.
That's probably more of a concern for a longer stay...
Attributed to Franklin: "guests, like fish, begin to smell after three days"

RM
We received a very nice handwritten invitation from the host, inviting us to stay over. They have a self-contained apartment attached to the house. It would seem rude to get our own room after all that.
Lot of good suggestions. Thank you.
Topic Author
PinotGris

Post by PinotGris »

MJS wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:25 am Flowers delivered the day before you arrive. Or ... Work with your host/hostess to provide matching flower arrangements for the dinner table(s).
I like this idea, delivered the day before. Has anyone gifted a maid service for the day?
Topic Author
PinotGris

Post by PinotGris »

stoptothink wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:05 pm
A close family member does not drink and I don't to bring something he cannot participate in. The host does enjoy wine though.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Flowers are never unwelcome.
sport

Post by sport »

These dried fruit baskets always seem to be well received when we give them as gifts. They can be shared with guests, or saved for later.
https://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?de ... ft+Baskets
wcinnn

Post by wcinnn »

Gift from www.cowgirlcreamery.com. If hosts have the menu for the holiday all planned, they can serve it another time. Received one myself and loved it.
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

I'm not sure an "impressive gift" is necessary. A gift should be "special" or "heartfelt".
Is there some edible thing from where you live that your hosts would like or that might make a fun conversation thing? Like a Houska or Cinnamon Raisin Roll from a local bakery (something you can have for breakfast the next day) Or a local "specialty" food you can bring and then enjoy with them the next day? (A pizza from the local pizza place? or some other "specialty" - breaded pork tenderloin, gravy, and dumplings (I've hand delivered quite a bit of that when I visit friends/relatives who have moved away).

I've been to gatherings where someone brought a new game for the hosts... we played the game after dinner.

How well do you know the hosts? Family? or will this be the first time you are meeting them? That might make a difference in gift choices.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

PinotGris wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:35 pm
MJS wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:25 am Flowers delivered the day before you arrive. Or ... Work with your host/hostess to provide matching flower arrangements for the dinner table(s).
I like this idea, delivered the day before. Has anyone gifted a maid service for the day?
Doesn't sound like a good idea. I'm not sure I'd take it kindly if a houseguest arranged a maid service to arrive the day before they got there.

If they arranged it after they left, I think I'd take it even more personally.
Last edited by dukeblue219 on Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

PVW wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:31 pm
squirm wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:39 am Marble rye from Schnitzers.
They'd probably forget to put it out. And taking it back would be a whole ordeal. Might have to avoid them for the rest of your life. Or sneak it back in while they're out on a hansom cab ride with a gassy horse.
How about a bottle of Pepsi? You gonna tell me wine is better than Pepsi?? No way wine is better than Pepsi!

8-)
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

What about some really quality (not gaudy) coasters? Easy to transport. Easy to store if they don't like them. Simple gift that you can spend as much or as little on as you want.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

Keep a small pumpkins from Halloween.

Make a turkey head and feathers out of construction paper and glue a tooth pick to each.

Stick the turkey head on the pumpkin. Have everyone write what they are thankful for on a feather and stick into the pumpkins to make a turkey.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Knack Gifts has some cute gifts. I used this recently for a housewarming present and it went over well.
Scotttheking

Post by Scotttheking »

Consumables. Always consumables.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

MAKsdad wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:36 am I wouldn't overthink it...just bring wine.

+1 to all of this.
Big Heart

Post by Big Heart »

A gorgeous puzzle? There are so many beautiful ones. Not a super hard one.
kj10

Post by kj10 »

I would not gift a maid service. While I am sure that you suggested this with good intentions, many people (myself included) would be offended to receive a maid service as a hostess/host gift. What exactly are you saying about your hosts if you send a maid service? That they don’t have a clean enough house!?!

My suggestions instead would be something consumable. Many people do not like knick knacks and will be bothered by one more thing to find a place to put or to take somewhere to donate. (Unless you specifically know of something your host collects or needs...this changes things.) Regardless, though, consumables are always a great answer. You’ve already received the suggestions of wine and scotch (both great suggestions), but here are some more:

Other Suggestions
Coffee beans - the locally roasted, specialty variety from a place near your home or an expensive, exotic hard-to-find bean

Local cheeses - again, an assortment of exotic, imported cheeses or local varieties (bonus points if you pair cheeses + gift wine, too)

If you’re traveling and your hosts live in a different region than you, craft a “region” consumables gift basket. If you have a high end gift store near you, they should help you be able to do this. For example, my basket might include local hot honey, maple candies, and pepper jam. For you, put in whatever are the local specialty products made near you!
squirm

Post by squirm »

Gift a maid service??? Serious? LOL! That's saying "your place is a pig sty, here's some help."
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

A few suggestions: If visiting around a holiday, we may gift nice, yard decorations if we know the family uses them, particularly for Halloween or Christmas. Also, since many change front door wreaths for Fall, Spring or topical occasions, those are sometimes use. More individual gifts might include use of a photograph having meaning with a company that makes jigsaw puzzles from them, combined with a "jigsaw board," which is essentially a nice, flat board. People who do puzzles often do them on a breakfast or dining table and can easily move incomplete puzzles if the table is needed for another purpose. Board games are nice. For example, if bridge is a game played, there are combination gifts including decks of cards, scorecards, napkins and card holders for discards or drawing cards that match. If the family has known heritage, German for example, there are board games from that culture that are common and different from those in the States. A nice set of stationary with names and addresses is typically appreciated. These gifts are more personal and require forethought, things such as monogramed towel sets are other possibilities.

Tim
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

Big Heart wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:50 pm A gorgeous puzzle? There are so many beautiful ones. Not a super hard one.
Like this one: https://www.costco.com/dowdle-costco-pu ... 00870.html
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

Yes, there is, in typical American culture, an element of expected reciprocity to things like this among ~peers (less so if one party is, say, a generation older and assumed to be wealthier.)

But it's not an exact accounting, and there are multiple ways to meet any implied need for reciprocity.

The most straightforward is reverse hosting. Party A makes dinner in September, party B makes dinner in November.

In this case, that could mean hosting the hosts, in the future.

But, where that's not likely:

1) Treat the hosts to a nice meal at a restaurant

2) Bring consumables as a gift (Alcohol and pricey foods are nice)

3) Non-consumable items MAY be brought, but moreso if they don't carry a heavy "decoration" vibe that may clash with the host's style. Years ago, visitors to our home brought a nicely made wooden bowl - hard to go wrong with that - easy to find a use in almost any style of decor (or in a purely utilitarian role).

===

Often, any physical gift has a connection to the visitor's home area. Maybe that symbolically represents the return visit from the hosts to the guests. i.e. If from Chicago, bring a couple of frozen deep dish pizzas, or Frango mints from the former Marshall Field's. If from CA, Napa wines. If from down South - a nice pecan pie or other product of the area. Real maple syrup from New England, etc.
Last edited by psteinx on Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
PinotGris

Post by PinotGris »

lots of good ideas, thank you all. with all these ideas it will be almost fun to shop!
i can see now how a maid service gift would have been a disaster. :shock: