Wanting to switch from Verizon cell service and would like your experiences.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
golfrgirl

Wanting to switch from Verizon cell service and would like your experiences.

Post by golfrgirl »

So like cord-cutting on my TV, I'm ready to make the move on my cell provider since I'm seeing some lucrative offerings out there. I'm not bound by a contract currently.
Of course, cost is a factor, but I'm also wanting to access the 5g networks out there. Hubby and I currently have the iPhone 8 and live in metropolitan area which appears to have ample coverage. (How much capacity we currently need is something I haven't quite nailed down as I need to research more than my last month's usage numbers.)
Anyone have any recent experience in changing providers for any of the lesser-known providers that you can recommend? TIA
dukeblue219

Re: Wanting to switch from Verizon cell service and would like your experiences.

Post by dukeblue219 »

Do you need international coverage? Hotspot data? Lots of LTE and 5G bandwidth?

Those will drive whether you want a dirt cheap MVNO plan (potentially thru Verizon towers) or a lower cost traditional plan like Tmobile. Given that you want 5G and you're in a metropolitan area Tmobile is probably a good choice if you need lots of data.
billfromct

Re: Wanting to switch from Verizon cell service and would like your experiences.

Post by billfromct »

Is your phone locked or unlocked?

If you bought the phone with Verizon, it may be locked & I believe, that you would need to have it unlocked to utilize a different phone carrier.

I bought my iPhone through Verizon & I didn’t realize it was locked by Verizon until a few months later when I was looking at the “settings” function.

I’m sure the new phone carrier can answer your questions.

bill
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

golfrgirl wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:00 pm I'm also wanting to access the 5g networks out there.
Anyone have any recent experience in changing providers for any of the lesser-known providers that you can recommend? TIA
Just switched to Mint Mobile. They have plans starting at $15/ month for 4 gig data that include 5g and wifi calling (they piggyback off T-Mobile towers). Keeping my current number was easy. I am pleased with their service so far.

https://www.mintmobile.com/plans/
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

golfrgirl wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:00 pm So like cord-cutting on my TV, I'm ready to make the move on my cell provider since I'm seeing some lucrative offerings out there. I'm not bound by a contract currently.
Of course, cost is a factor, but I'm also wanting to access the 5g networks out there. Hubby and I currently have the iPhone 8 and live in metropolitan area which appears to have ample coverage. (How much capacity we currently need is something I haven't quite nailed down as I need to research more than my last month's usage numbers.)
Be careful when switching to a MVNO for a cheaper price. Go with one that uses the best towers in your area. That's probably going to be Verizon in your area but do your homework. Any telco choice has to be based on your local city coverage not the bottom price or someone's opinion 3+ states away.

I agree you'll save a bunch of money switching but your going to have to do your own legwork, random internet recommendations can end up being bad even tho everyone is really trying to be helpfull.

I'm a Systems Eng for T-Mobile and I would never tell someone to pick T-Mo or one of our NVNO's without knowing we have the best service in your area.
70% AVGE | 20% FXNAX | 10% T-Bill/Muni
Topic Author
golfrgirl

Post by golfrgirl »

I agree you'll save a bunch of money switching but your going to have to do your own legwork, random internet recommendations can end up being bad even tho everyone is really trying to be helpfull.

So true! Been reading more and, for instance, learned that 5G isn’t an option since my phone isn’t supported, but most, if not all, provide coverage for my area. Onward.

Thanks, all, for your replies.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Switched from regular Verizon to visible, Verizon’s own mvno, no probs so far, $40 @ month for unlimited data, cheaper with friends an$ family, 5g supposedly comin* soon. Deals:
https://www.visible.com/deals/
slow n steady

Post by slow n steady »

TexasPE wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:19 pm
golfrgirl wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:00 pm I'm also wanting to access the 5g networks out there.
Just switched to Mint Mobile. They have plans starting at $15/ month for 4 gig data that include 5g and wifi calling (they piggyback off T-Mobile towers). Keeping my current number was easy. I am pleased with their service so far.

https://www.mintmobile.com/plans/
My spouse and I have been on Mint for over a year. No issues. $203 per year per line. Plenty of data for me.
jfave33

Post by jfave33 »

mhalley wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:37 pm Switched from regular Verizon to visible, Verizon’s own mvno, no probs so far, $40 @ month for unlimited data, cheaper with friends an$ family, 5g supposedly comin* soon. Deals:
https://www.visible.com/deals/
Log into your account. Click party pay and just join one of the big groups with 1000+ people. You'll pay $25 a month and you share zero with anyone. It is just a virtual group.

But be warned they got hacked 2 weeks ago and a bunch of people lost access to their accounts and the hacker bought iphones with their stored credit card details with no further checks. Things have tightened up a bit with security (not great bit better) but make sure you take apporpriate precautions such as a good password not used elsewhere.

Visible say the hack was someone obtaining passwords from other sites that users had reused with visible but several people reported using random ones from password managers and they still got hacked.

5g is available now.
Horologium

Post by Horologium »

I've been with a couple of different providers and a couple of MVNOs to try and save money. I ended up going back to Verizon because no other provider can match the quality of their network.
Igneous88

Post by Igneous88 »

I would definitely look into visible. We switched a year ago and love it! It uses Verizon towers and it’s unlimited data for $25 a month.
amindu

Post by amindu »

Horologium wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:28 pm I've been with a couple of different providers and a couple of MVNOs to try and save money. I ended up going back to Verizon because no other provider can match the quality of their network.
This !!

We were with Verizon for over a decade left 10 months ago to ATT because of their IPhone 12 deals and Verizon wasn’t doing anything for existing customers, we came back 3 weeks ago to Verizon. Could not get any service phone or data through ATT and we live where ATT is headquartered.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

First, make sure your phone is unlocked. If not, have Verizon unlock your phone, since you are not under contract anymore.
Second, look at the coverage map of each operator. Rule out any operator that doesn't show the highest coverage at your most common location(s) such as home and work.
Third, try for yourself. The easiest way is to get a SIM card and try it. The cost should be minimal, and in some cases free. And just try it and see how well it works for you. If it doesn't work well enough, and you find this out early on, just cancel the service. You may not owe anything at all.

Unfortunately, for us, coverage is very spotty for every operator. In my home office downstairs, right by the front door, T-Mobile gets a 4G LTE signal. A speedtest shows a 0.1 Mbps download speed (100 kbps). In the same location, Verizon gets a 5G signal, but a 0.01 Mbps speed (10 kbps !).
I haven't tried AT&T yet as I really hate their customer service.

In my hot tub outdoors, depending on which seat I'm in, T-mobile sometimes gets a 5G signal, and then download speed jumps all the way to 200 Mbps. But if I move even just a little bit, it'll drop to 4G LTE and down between 1-5 Mbps. Clearly, the 4G towers are way oversubscribed in my neighborhood.
And unfortunately, neither the 4G or 5G signals from either Verizon or T-mobile penetrate my house walls very well.
If I'm at the Verizon store or T-Mobile store, I get upwards of 600 Mbps speed. Phone is a Note 20 ultra, unlocked.
Of course, the solution at home is to use Wifi instead of cell signal. But I still have slow spots despite 5 access points. And wifi calling is not 100% reliable. I still have miss calls - they go directly to voice mail sometimes, phone does not ring. Which is extremely annoying. I really miss landlines ! Never missed a call with those.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

Verizon spends more than any of the other carriers to maintain and upgrade their cell networks, by far, and when you walk into one of their cell sites they all look the same, with the best equipment, standard at every location. Other carriers, even the big ones can't claim as much, at least not truthfully. Much of the advertising claims of better service and better coverage is pure hype, even from Verizon, because quality of transmission is highly dependent on location. No cell company wll spend a huge amount of capital dollars to service or upgrade a sparsely populated area unless required to do so. Before committing to a change from Verizon I would ask other locals who they use as a cell provider, and how they rate their coverage.

I would not change networks for a new phone without checking to see if that phone will be useless where it's predominantly used, because the signal is weak. Best advice; don't trust marketing reps when they tout their coverage area. Talk to neighbors and co-workers for the real scoop.

5G is a promise yet to be universally fulfilled.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/29/2240 ... ave-c-band

This, as I sit at my computer cursing Spectrum for my spotty internet service which allows my Verizon booster to improve the signal to useable levels (at least they sell a booster, which does a great job at $250 a pop). Other carrier's signals are too weak to be viable where I live, which is purely anecdotal.

Maybe someday we'll all have great signal strength and full access to the latest technology. Where's a time machine when you need it!
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

vested1 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:16 am This, as I sit at my computer cursing Spectrum for my spotty internet service which allows my Verizon booster to improve the signal to useable levels (at least they sell a booster, which does a great job at $250 a pop). Other carrier's signals are too weak to be viable where I live, which is purely anecdotal.

Maybe someday we'll all have great signal strength and full access to the latest technology. Where's a time machine when you need it!
FYI, T-mobile provides free boosters. They gave me a cell signal booster in the past, which was installed by a window upstairs, and boosted the outdoor signal throughout the house. Or at least it was supposed to. Didn't really work most of the time, because outside signal was too weak, and the home too large. The one they gave me now works off the internet connection. It plugs in via ethernet to my LAN. It provides a 4G LTE signal. But again, not throughout the house. It's located in my home office. I still miss some incoming calls between it and the Wifi calling, even when I'm within 3 feet of the Cellspot and 10 ft of the Wifi access point. I miss landlines.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

madbrain wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:24 am
vested1 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:16 am This, as I sit at my computer cursing Spectrum for my spotty internet service which allows my Verizon booster to improve the signal to useable levels (at least they sell a booster, which does a great job at $250 a pop). Other carrier's signals are too weak to be viable where I live, which is purely anecdotal.

FYI, T-mobile provides free boosters. They gave me a cell signal booster in the past, which was installed by a window upstairs, and boosted the outdoor signal throughout the house. Or at least it was supposed to. Didn't really work most of the time, because outside signal was too weak, and the home too large. The one they gave me now works off the internet connection. It plugs in via ethernet to my LAN. It provides a 4G LTE signal. But again, not throughout the house. It's located in my home office. I still miss some incoming calls between it and the Wifi calling, even when I'm within 3 feet of the Cellspot and 10 ft of the Wifi access point. I miss landlines.
Our Verizon booster works throughout the house, 3 stories, plugged into the Spectrum router on the main floor. It also needs a GPS connection which is provided by the module that we placed on the window sill which is hard wired to the booster. The booster has a range of 300 feet per specs, but still provides adequate coverage to get a text at 450' from the house at the dock and occasionally works on calls there for a bit until you get cut off. Without the booster there isn't enough signal strength to maintain a call at the house.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

vested1 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:36 am Our Verizon booster works throughout the house, 3 stories, plugged into the Spectrum router on the main floor. It also needs a GPS connection which is provided by the module that we placed on the window sill which is hard wired to the booster.
Yes, same setup - GPS connection by the window. GPS light inexplicably goes on and off periodically (it's off right now).
The booster has a range of 300 feet per specs, but still provides adequate coverage to get a text at 450' from the house at the dock and occasionally works on calls there for a bit until you get cut off. Without the booster there isn't enough signal strength to maintain a call at the house.
My calls never cut off, once they are started. And I can send texts from anywhere. But I do still miss incoming calls periodically, they go straight to voice mail according to callers. This is regardless of whether the phone has Wifi or cell set as priority, and when both networks are very close to the phone. And there is no packet loss on the Comcast connection, as monitored 24/7 by smokeping from my Odroid XU4. I have no idea what causes this, unfortunately, or how to solve it. And neither does T-mobile.
Centralrider

Post by Centralrider »

I switched to Mint Mobile from Verizon a month ago. Mint Mobile uses T-Mobile’s network so coverage is good in most metropolitan areas. I was paying $65 a month for Verizon. I signed up for Mint Mobile’s 4GB Plan for $15 a month. I have an IPhone 6,the process to switch over was very easy. I am happy with the service so far.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Horologium wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:28 pm I've been with a couple of different providers and a couple of MVNOs to try and save money. I ended up going back to Verizon because no other provider can match the quality of their network.
Like you, I was with an MVNO and ended up going to Verizon and subsequently to AT&T. It was all about the quality of the network.