Verizon is ridiculous [Looking for alternatives]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Tom_T

Verizon is ridiculous [Looking for alternatives]

Post by Tom_T »

So, I'm doing some homework in preparation for my biannual "negotiate with Verizon" exercise. I am shocked (even for a longtime Verizon customer) how expensive they've become for new customers, let alone existing ones. Here's what we've had for a number of years: phone, internet, relatively low level of their TV service. Set-tops boxes in two rooms, and DVR. Generally I've been able to get this somewhere in the range of 99.99 or so, with a lot of wrangling every two years.

I tried pricing out these same services as a new customer. The new bottom line? 211.99. That's with NO premium channels , NO gigabit Internet, using my own Verizon router which I purchased last time around.

Oh, you say you have a streaming device and you don't need their boxes? Is there a way to do that? Yes, there's a FiOS app for that! It will only cost you $20/month to use their app. That's on top of everything else. Just the privilege of streaming their service will cost you $20/month. If you don't want our set-top box, we'll make you pay anyway.

I called to inquire/complain about what my renewal bill will be. Online, there was a "special offer" for me to renew at $40/more per month. Such a deal, as they say. That was last week. Today, I log on and my special offer has magically been reduced to what I am currently paying.

Anyway, this isn't just a rant. I always have cord-cutting in the back of my mind, but the streaming services have been raising their prices (e.g. Youtube TV is the same price as my FiOS TV.) But, Verizon tacks on an amazing $60/month in equipment, taxes and fees. My 99.99 offer is really $155. So that's the number I work with when comparing to the cost of cord-cutting. What I really need to do is:

1. Port landline (I know how to do this)
2. Make a list of the channels my wife and I truly want. Streaming service? Maybe a paid app that covers some of it? And what about sports?
3. Get an antenna for local stations?
4. Figure out a means to record shows.

I'm interested in suggestions/experience with 3 and 4 in particular. Note that I live in Central NJ close to the water; it's a clear shot to Manhattan so I presume I'd have decent luck with an antenna.
namajones

Re: Verizon is ridiculous

Post by namajones »

Tom_T wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:46 pm I'm interested in suggestions/experience with 3 and 4 in particular. Note that I live in Central NJ close to the water; it's a clear shot to Manhattan so I presume I'd have decent luck with an antenna.
I'm on a month-to-month with Verizon now. $101 per month. If they try to jack up the price, I'm going to cut out TV altogether. It's just 1300 channels of garbage, anyway. 24-hour garbage.

Internet alone will get you YouTube (surprisingly good) and a streaming service or two.
namajones

Post by namajones »

I don't use any of Verizon's equipment except a cable card. My ancient Tivo box with lifetime service is still cranking along.
bubbly

Post by bubbly »

Check out the lineups for sling blue and sling orange. 35 bucks for either and 50 for both per month. Can’t remember the additional cost for dvr.

You do need an antenna for the local stations though because I recall sling does not offer those.
namajones

Post by namajones »

Does anyone remember when the promise of cable TV was "no commercials"? Or am I just slipping into senility?

In any case, now you're paying for cable stations that spend most of their time feeding you commercials.
Last edited by namajones on Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

bubbly wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:56 pm You do need an antenna for the local stations though because I recall sling does not offer those.
I bought “ Digital HDTV Antenna - Includes Magnetic Base and Coaxial Cable - 50 Mile Range - Indoor or Outdoor” for $19 on Amazon. Works like a charm.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

Tom_T wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:46 pm

I'm interested in suggestions/experience with 3 and 4 in particular. Note that I live in Central NJ close to the water; it's a clear shot to Manhattan so I presume I'd have decent luck with an antenna.
There are plenty of OTA recorders like Tivo Edge or recast. If you end up need ESPN, you are probably buying a streaming service thought that will give you a DVR and those local channels already. As you point out the big plus with thing like youtubetv isn't that that it costs 65 bucks versus cables 70 bucks. It is you aren't buying a 20 dollar DVR, a 15 dollar local sports fee, and some weird other stuff. And it is also easy to suspend service if you know you aren't going to be using it.
bubbly

Post by bubbly »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:00 pm
bubbly wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:56 pm You do need an antenna for the local stations though because I recall sling does not offer those.
I bought “ Digital HDTV Antenna - Includes Magnetic Base and Coaxial Cable - 50 Mile Range - Indoor or Outdoor” for $19 on Amazon. Works like a charm.
How do you like it? I don’t really miss the local stations but I recall 20 years ago I got an antenna and I was able to get only a subset of the channels. I could get a different subset if I moved the antenna to face a different direction. Perhaps the technology has gotten much better since then.
SS396

Post by SS396 »

FIOS internet only 500 MBPS @ $49.99 plus tax per month. You do not need the faster gigabyte plan since the 500 MBPS is ample for many 4K devices. The FIOS plan comes with a 3-year price guarantee. YouTube TV @ $65 per month plus tax. If you pay with an AmEx you get a 6% discount each month on the YouTube TV service. I purchased a Google Nest WiFi router and set it up to bypass the FIOS WiFi router (the Nest router provides superior WiFi speed and coverage in my home compared to the FIOS router). I also purchased a Google Chromecast with Google TV and found that the streaming device is superior to my Roku and Firestick streaming devices (the Chromecast provides better signal strength and faster download speeds than the other streaming devices which translates to no buffering in the past year). With tax, I’m currently paying about $116 per month. I receive about 90 channels via YouTube TV, including local channels, and unlimited cloud based DVR. Like you, I was paying much more for the traditional cable TV/Internet combo. Hope this helps. Good luck.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

We haven't had cable tv for about 8 years now. Had a little $5 antenna that worked wonderfully. However, this is 100% dependent on your area and exactly where your house is in relation to the towers.

We were pulling in about 65 channels. Of those, about 15 HDTV.

We don't use the antenna anymore because watching TV is a waste of time and I got tired of looking at the antenna in the window, so took it down a yar ago :)

Almost all of the local news stations stream their news broadcasts online these days.
illumination

Post by illumination »

I don't miss cable. I also got sick of the "threaten to leave" routine. Also got a good antenna and several streaming channels.

My opinion is basic cable should be like $20 a month. I think they've figured out the people still on cable are just never going to leave, they could charge $500 a month and the same people will keep paying it.
thinair

Post by thinair »

Try this to determine the over-the-air (OTA) channels you may get:
https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps

Other sites can give you directions for pointing your OTA antenna; my antenna sits on top of a speaker behind the TV.

The traditional network channels (e.g ABC) and independents almost all broadcast multiple subchannels these days, most of which are not carried on cable but are available OTA. I watch those channels at least as much as any cable channel.
denovo

Post by denovo »

Tom_T wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:46 pm So, I'm doing some homework in preparation for my biannual "negotiate with Verizon" exercise. I am shocked (even for a longtime Verizon customer) how expensive they've become for new customers, let alone existing ones. Here's what we've had for a number of years: phone, internet, relatively low level of their TV service. Set-tops boxes in two rooms, and DVR. Generally I've been able to get this somewhere in the range of 99.99 or so, with a lot of wrangling every two years.

I tried pricing out these same services as a new customer. The new bottom line? 211.99. That's with NO premium channels , NO gigabit Internet, using my own Verizon router which I purchased last time around.

Oh, you say you have a streaming device and you don't need their boxes? Is there a way to do that? Yes, there's a FiOS app for that! It will only cost you $20/month to use their app. That's on top of everything else. Just the privilege of streaming their service will cost you $20/month. If you don't want our set-top box, we'll make you pay anyway.

I called to inquire/complain about what my renewal bill will be. Online, there was a "special offer" for me to renew at $40/more per month. Such a deal, as they say. That was last week. Today, I log on and my special offer has magically been reduced to what I am currently paying.

Anyway, this isn't just a rant. I always have cord-cutting in the back of my mind, but the streaming services have been raising their prices (e.g. Youtube TV is the same price as my FiOS TV.) But, Verizon tacks on an amazing $60/month in equipment, taxes and fees. My 99.99 offer is really $155. So that's the number I work with when comparing to the cost of cord-cutting. What I really need to do is:

2. Make a list of the channels my wife and I truly want. Streaming service? Maybe a paid app that covers some of it? And what about sports?

I actually think you are getting a very good deal.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

Regarding the subject line, +100.
50% VTSAX | 25% VTIAX | 25% VBTLX (retirement), 25% VTEAX (taxable)
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

namajones wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:00 pm Does anyone remember when the promise of cable TV was "no commercials"? Or am I just slipping into senility?

In any case, now you're paying for cable stations that spend most of their time feeding you commercials.
I remember that. Then wondering how do we put money into the TV....
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

namajones wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:00 pm Does anyone remember when the promise of cable TV was "no commercials"? Or am I just slipping into senility?

I remember that. Then wondering how do we put money into the TV....
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

What are your other options for internet? Any cable modem internet operators in your area? We have 2 to play off. Fast speeds. Competition.

Verizon has you tangled up in too many services. They are a rip.

Mint Mobile, FireTV Recast (DVR), 500mb cable internet.

Plenty of options out there unless you are in a rural area with no competition. Good luck.
RJC

Post by RJC »

I'm on an internet-only plan for 39.99/month (after taxes). About 2-300 mbps with no annual contract.

I do not have to wrangle with them ever again.
brianH

Post by brianH »

RJC wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:36 pm I'm on an internet-only plan for 39.99/month (after taxes). About 2-300 mbps with no annual contract.

I do not have to wrangle with them ever again.
Yeah, I just dropped a FIOS triple-play (TV, phone, internet 100/100) to just 200/200 (actual speed 300/300) internet and saved $90/m. Rep didn't even try to convince me otherwise, just an easy swap with no contract haggling. I was actually laughing at how painless it was, given my past experiences with them.

It must vary by market, but I'm putting VZ on my 'good guy' list.
Topic Author
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

bloom2708 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:35 pm What are your other options for internet? Any cable modem internet operators in your area? We have 2 to play off. Fast speeds. Competition.

Verizon has you tangled up in too many services. They are a rip.

Mint Mobile, FireTV Recast (DVR), 500mb cable internet.

Plenty of options out there unless you are in a rural area with no competition. Good luck.
We also have Comcast, but I don't see how they are any better.

I did get gigabit service two years ago because it was a deal, but I know I don't need it. I can ask about dropping to 500 to see what the price would be. But there are a lot of great suggestions in this thread that I will definitely look into.
Beachey

Post by Beachey »

bubbly wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:03 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:00 pm
How do you like it? I don’t really miss the local stations but I recall 20 years ago I got an antenna and I was able to get only a subset of the channels. I could get a different subset if I moved the antenna to face a different direction. Perhaps the technology has gotten much better since then.
Your ability to pick up local channels is very location specification. In Phoenix it worked well, not so much in New York.

https://www.antennasdirect.com/transmitter-locator.html
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Tom_T wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:46 pmAnyway, this isn't just a rant. I always have cord-cutting in the back of my mind, but the streaming services have been raising their prices (e.g. Youtube TV is the same price as my FiOS TV.) But, Verizon tacks on an amazing $60/month in equipment, taxes and fees. My 99.99 offer is really $155. So that's the number I work with when comparing to the cost of cord-cutting.
So you're saying that it's costing you (or will cost you, if you renew) $155 for high-speed internet, landline, and basic TV? I don't think that's a terrible deal. I'm paying AT&T just over $100/month for high-speed Internet and DirecTV's mid-level TV package, including DVR. No landline for me, which saves me around $50/month. What would your renewal cost be without the landline?
Escapevelocity

Post by Escapevelocity »

Sign up for internet only 39.99 a month all in. YouTube TV adds $65. Buy your own modem. Total cost per month $105 all in.
prd1982

Post by prd1982 »

thinair wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:23 pm Try this to determine the over-the-air (OTA) channels you may get:
https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps

Other sites can give you directions for pointing your OTA antenna; my antenna sits on top of a speaker behind the TV.

The traditional network channels (e.g ABC) and independents almost all broadcast multiple subchannels these days, most of which are not carried on cable but are available OTA. I watch those channels at least as much as any cable channel.
Note that this site assumes you have an outdoor antenna 30’ above ground.

I know we all complain about the cable companies. However, let’s not forget about the local stations that charge a lot to be available on cable or streaming,
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

Tom_T wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:46 pm So, I'm doing some homework in preparation for my biannual "negotiate with Verizon" exercise. I am shocked (even for a longtime Verizon customer) how expensive they've become for new customers, let alone existing ones. Here's what we've had for a number of years: phone, internet, relatively low level of their TV service. Set-tops boxes in two rooms, and DVR. Generally I've been able to get this somewhere in the range of 99.99 or so, with a lot of wrangling every two years.

In my view, you never save enough to jump through the hoops of cord cutting.
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

I just left Frontier (service area Verizon sold to Frontier). Frontier took lessons from Verizon. Frontier is bankrupt I believe; one would think they would make an effort to keep a customer they already had, but I guess their business plan doesn’t work that way.

I was paying $53.99 for 100/100 internet, they wanted to renew my for an additional $18/month.

Instead I signed on at Spectrum for $49.99/month for 400/400 service, 24 months price lock with no contract.

Spectrum does charge $5.00/month for wireless router, but I’ll replace the rental and buy my own, dropping the cost down to $44.99/month.

Unlike Frontier, the Spectrum price includes everything. Frontier larded up the price with taxes and fees.

When I called in to cancel Frontier service, their retention pricing was horrible. They didn’t offer anything close to Spectrum. They offered a 500/500 ‘net service for $49.99, but the price went up after 6 months. They didn’t want their router back.

So I won’t have to do a fan dance for two years.

We are using YouTube TV, but I am going to check out other streaming options. Easy to change streaming services as you don’t have to worry about cable boxes/DVRs.

When I had Frontier TV we were getting killed on the box rentals, having six TVs. No more, though. All our TVs are smart TVs or have an Amazon Fire Stick, with the exception of my garage TV, an old TCL TV that has Roku built in. It is very, very slow, so I am going to add a Fire Stick to it.

We went from fiber to coax, but no change in quality of picture. Though we got an immediate better picture when we started streaming.

Spectrum did have to run a new inside wire as my inside wiring was the old style that was being used when I first trialed TW RoadRunner service when it first came out.

So far no issues with Spectrum internet service, knock on wood.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

We switched to Verizon's prepaid plan two years ago and cut our bill by about 38% and got more data in the process.
The Sensible Steward
oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy »

pizzy wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:24 pm

What hoops are there? You simply cancel your service.
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

oldfatguy wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:27 pm

Typically, cord cutting involves canceling your cable service and then replacing the entertainment lost with one or more (usually 2+) streaming services to replicate the cable company package.

Otherwise, yes, it’s very easy to cancel and not consume entertainment via television any longer.

So, the floor isn’t $0. You’ll still need internet and some form of entertainment package setup. (Most people)

Therefore, I feel you never save enough to jump through the hoops of cord cutting.
Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 »

pizzy wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:32 pm

Typically, cord cutting involves canceling your cable service and then replacing the entertainment lost with one or more (usually 2+) streaming services to replicate the cable company package.

Otherwise, yes, it’s very easy to cancel and not consume entertainment via television any longer.

So, the floor isn’t $0. You’ll still need internet and some form of entertainment package setup. (Most people)

Therefore, I feel you never save enough to jump through the hoops of cord cutting.
We eliminated our cable TV service years ago and much prefer streaming services. We currently have Netflix, HBO Max (under their 6-month half-price plan), Amazon Prime (for another month until our annual subscription expires), BritBox, Curiosity Stream, and PBS Passport. A ton of content!

The total cost is far below cable TV, viewing is at our choice of time, and there are no ads interrupting programs. It's paradise compared to the hell of Comcast TV.

I feel sorry for people who like to watch sports. They seem stuck with incessant ads for which they pay large bills.

Marylander1
Last edited by Marylander1 on Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 »

I remember. As each station added ads, my viewing for that station dropped precipitously. Some years ago we realized we were entirely watching streaming services, and cable was a colossal pain by comparison, so we dropped cable TV altogether.

Marylander1
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

Marylander1 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:43 pm
pizzy wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:32 pm

We eliminated our cable TV service years ago and much prefer streaming services. We currently have Netflix, HBO Max (under their 6-month half-price plan), Amazon Prime (for another month until our annual subscription expires), BritBox, Curiosity Stream, and PBS Passport. A ton of content!

The total cost is far below cable TV, viewing is at our choice of time, and there are no ads interrupting programs. It's paradise compared to the hell of Comcast TV.

I feel sorry for people who like to watch sports. They seem stuck with incessant ads for which they pay large bills.

Marylander1
What’s your total cost including internet? And how many TV’s have full access to every service you mentioned?
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

That's what DVRs are for - haven't watched a commercial in years. Even when I watch football I buffer up to avoid commercials and just have to stay off social media while watching to avoid spoilers.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

I found the cost that Verizon would charge me for Gigabit Ethernet by itself was so high, for just a little more a month I could do the tripple play again and keep some stations and phone line (dropping phone line would cost more than keeping it due to deal bundling).
Prices vary so much by area - where I am it seems to get the best deals you either have to threaten to flip back to Comcast or actually do it (flipping back and forth between comcast and verizon is a bit of pain every couple of years but seems one way to get good pricing if they call your bluff).
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Escapevelocity wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:21 pm Sign up for internet only 39.99 a month all in. YouTube TV adds $65. Buy your own modem. Total cost per month $105 all in.
Gigabit internet in my area is $100 a month by itself.
TheDDC

Post by TheDDC »

Let’s get some perspective. If you have Verizon FIOS you are literally in the top 1% for internet connectivity in this country. It’s fast and low latency, delivered over optical transit. You would be paying thousands a month if you wanted the same service from a commercial rate plan. What are you complaining about?

Yeah, I have Comcast and actually have plenty to complain about. But here’s what OP can do (which I have done): just dump cable T and go with an OTA antenna. I have one connected to a HDHomeRun. I can watch OTA TV on any device with it. I only pay for a 400 mbit Comcast Internet plan and stream everything else.

For everything else cable I absolutely need to watch (really nothing) I use a “free” online streaming site which I will not post here. :)

I kept Comcast phone service since I get the double play bundled pricing and we do actually use it.

-TheDDC
Rules to wealth building: 75-80% VTSAX piled high and deep, 20-25% VTIAX, 0% given away to banks.
Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 »

pizzy wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:47 pm
Marylander1 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:43 pm We eliminated our cable TV service years ago and much prefer streaming services. We currently have Netflix, HBO Max (under their 6-month half-price plan), Amazon Prime (for another month until our annual subscription expires), BritBox, Curiosity Stream, and PBS Passport. A ton of content!

Marylander1
What’s your total cost including internet? And how many TV’s have full access to every service you mentioned?
I was afraid you'd ask that, but it's wise to run these numbers periodically:

$14.83 monthly Netflix
$7.49 per-month HBO Max (prepaid 6 months)
$10.00 per month Amazon Prime (although we bought it mostly for Amazon shipping, and will let it expire next month)
$5.83 per month Britbox (prepaid 1 year)
$1.00 per month Curiosity Stream (prepaid 1 year)
$6.00 per month PBS Passport

Total: $45.15/month, soon to be $35.15.

We have 2 people working from home so we need high-speed internet for concurrent video calls, downloads, and uploads, for which we pay $102/month. But we'd need that even if we dropped all the TV services, for us it's the "cost" of not commuting to the office.

We have only 1 TV, and sometimes watch streaming content on a computer or phone. But I think all these services allow at least 2 simultaneous viewings on multiple devices; we've never run into any kind of quota. If we had a larger household with more TVs it seems unlikely we'd all be watching the same service simultaneously.

Marylander1
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I have 500Mb internet ($45), a TiVo with a lifetime subscription, an antenna, and about $20 worth of streaming services (which ones change over time). And a cell phone. For the internet, it definitely helps to live in a place with competition. When I lived in a place where the internet provider had a monopoly, internet was consistently twice what it is here.

As far as the antenna, it depends on your location. At the place in Seattle, I had a $30 antenna taped to the inside of a basement window, which worked fine. Here in San Diego, I have a couple hundred dollars worth of high end outdoor antennas in my attic, which are barely adequate. Unless you’re really out there, though, a rooftop antenna should bring in everything you need. Paying someone to do a professional antenna installation will pay for itself in a couple of months.
sam1838

Post by sam1838 »

1. You don't need a landline.
2. You don't need a landline.
3. You don't need a landline.

Somehow over 60% of Americans make it through the day without paying for a landline. You could be one of them!

As to the TV package, go to suppose.tv, plug in the channels you think you need and see what comes out.

If you don't watch cable sports or cable news, DO NOT sign up for any live TV package, go straight to a combination of an antenna and any of the over a dozen streaming services that will fit your needs better in some combination. Look for specific TV shows, not channels. Cable people are obsessed with channels for some reason. You don't watch channels, you watch shows.
nepats

Post by nepats »

I pay about $110 for Gig speed internet, TV package that includes ESPN and home phone via FIOS tripe play bundle.

I sign up for a two year contract and use a cable card with TiVo and my own router.

I don’t think I can get anything cheaper or as reliable for the cost.

If you can’t do that then subscribe to Some TV subscription service and get the lower tier internet service. It will eliminate DVR costs.
Last edited by nepats on Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

Marylander1 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:06 pm
pizzy wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:47 pm
Marylander1 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:43 pm We eliminated our cable TV service years ago and much prefer streaming services. We currently have Netflix, HBO Max (under their 6-month half-price plan), Amazon Prime (for another month until our annual subscription expires), BritBox, Curiosity Stream, and PBS Passport. A ton of content!

Marylander1
I was afraid you'd ask that, but it's wise to run these numbers periodically:

$14.83 monthly Netflix
$7.49 per-month HBO Max (prepaid 6 months)
$10.00 per month Amazon Prime (although we bought it mostly for Amazon shipping, and will let it expire next month)
$5.83 per month Britbox (prepaid 1 year)
$1.00 per month Curiosity Stream (prepaid 1 year)
$6.00 per month PBS Passport

Total: $45.15/month, soon to be $35.15.

We have 2 people working from home so we need high-speed internet for concurrent video calls, downloads, and uploads, for which we pay $102/month. But we'd need that even if we dropped all the TV services, for us it's the "cost" of not commuting to the office.

We have only 1 TV, and sometimes watch streaming content on a computer or phone. But I think all these services allow at least 2 simultaneous viewings on multiple devices; we've never run into any kind of quota. If we had a larger household with more TVs it seems unlikely we'd all be watching the same service simultaneously.

Marylander1
So you pay $147 for cable/internet to 1 TV.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

sam1838 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:19 pm 1. You don't need a landline.
2. You don't need a landline.
3. You don't need a landline.

Somehow over 60% of Americans make it through the day without paying for a landline. You could be one of them!

As to the TV package, go to suppose.tv, plug in the channels you think you need and see what comes out.

If you don't watch cable sports or cable news, DO NOT sign up for any live TV package, go straight to a combination of an antenna and any of the over a dozen streaming services that will fit your needs better in some combination. Look for specific TV shows, not channels. Cable people are obsessed with channels for some reason. You don't watch channels, you watch shows.
Very good point. When we cut the cord in 2011, none of the GoogleTV or SlingTV type streaming services existed. What we found, though, is it was much cheaper to buy individual shows (or seasons of shows) on Apple or Amazon. We got exactly what we wanted, for a lot less than we had been paying.
Escapevelocity

Post by Escapevelocity »

SmileyFace wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:54 pm
Escapevelocity wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:21 pm Sign up for internet only 39.99 a month all in. YouTube TV adds $65. Buy your own modem. Total cost per month $105 all in.
You don’t need gigabit. Ask your provider about 200/200. That’s what I have and it’s more than adequate
beyou

Post by beyou »

I pay $38/mo to cable for 300 service.
Pay another $40+ for Hulu, Netflix, Disney, Amazon, Apple TV.

More than enough entertainment, no live tv.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Escapevelocity wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:08 pm
You don’t need gigabit. Ask your provider about 200/200. That’s what I have and it’s more than adequate
I do actually. 200/200 was not adequate for us. Kids streaming games while oldest is on zoom calls for college while I am on zoom calls for work while spouse is streaming TV. When I upgraded to 1Gbps service all our problems went away.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Escapevelocity wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:08 pm
Found these streaming speed recommendations: SD (480p*) — 3Mbps, Full HD (1080p*) — 5Mbps, 4K Ultra HD — 25Mbps.
See: https://www.digitaltrends.com/movies/ne ... peed-test/
See: https://blog.be.live/sd-vs-hd-live-streaming/

* I believe I've combined the two articles correctly. So multiply recommendations by your number of simultaneous streaming devices, to wag your needed service speed.

I only stream one device at a time. So recently switched to prepaid $40/mo Visible mobile phone service (Verizon's inhouse MVNO): unlimited talk, text, data (hotspot throttled to 5Mbps, one device). Watching YouTube at 1040p seems to work well. (My old eyes are the limiting factor.)

So I'm down to:
--Centurylink powered copper landline + digital phone/answering machine, for home phone service: ~$42/mo ($24/mo + fees/taxes).
--Visible phone service + smartphone, for emergency mobile phone service, map directions, home internet: $40/mo (all in).
--OTA antenna.
~$82/mo

I'm thinking about this plan*:
--Home phone. Switch to Visible plan for home phone/internet: $40/mo (all in).
--Mobile phone. Switch to a low-cost/data plan for emergency mobile phone service, map directions: $15-25/mo (all in).
--OTA antenna.
$55-65/mo

* The trouble is, using a smartphone for a home phone is more trouble than using a powered-copper landline. So may keep landline for its simplicity and backup capability.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
averagedude

Post by averagedude »

We just went out and got new phones (five years old) and also shopped internet providers as we are existing Verizon customers. We checked out Tmobile, US cellular (regional) and Verizon. Verizon was what we went with because we were able to keep our 2 gig plan that costs less than $80 a month for two lines. I got a Samsung A42 phone for only $175, while my silver spoon wife got a Samsung (something) plus $999 phone, who didn't like the thought of saving money to get a $175 phone. She just couldn't resist a slightly larger screen and better camera. Other providers would have given her a phone free, but we would have had to upgrade to a more expensive unlimited plan with a term of 30 months. For us, Verizon seemed to be the better mathematical choice, especially when you consider that you will more than likely continue with their unlimited plan once the term ends. If we had different wants, a different cellular provider may have been our choice. The best choice of provider has alot to do with where you live, how you use your phone, personal preferences, and existing deals. It isn't a one size fits all. I too seem to hate the cost we are paying for internet and mobile data, especially when you consider that we are paying much more in the US than what other developed nations are paying. I also hate that these companies penalize you for being customer loyal.
59Gibson

Post by 59Gibson »

I cut out TV plan 3 yrs ago after back and forth with Xfinity and FIOS. 100 + channels- only a couple worth anything to me. Bills went from around 70/mo to $140+ in 4 or 5 yrs. It's the priniciple of it damn it, FIOS isn't going to keep cracking my head with 16%/ yr increases- they think they're health insurance. :happy
brianH

Post by brianH »

SmileyFace wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:04 pm
Escapevelocity wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:08 pm You don’t need gigabit. Ask your provider about 200/200. That’s what I have and it’s more than adequate
I do actually. 200/200 was not adequate for us. Kids streaming games while oldest is on zoom calls for college while I am on zoom calls for work while spouse is streaming TV. When I upgraded to 1Gbps service all our problems went away.
Did you make other changes like a new router?

Zoom calls only use like 5Mbps max, and 4K video is max 25Mbps. 200Mbps with a high quality router and/or wired links should be very difficult to saturate with typical streaming/conferencing use.
atomicrc11

Post by atomicrc11 »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:24 pm Instead I signed on at Spectrum for $49.99/month for 400/400 service, 24 months price lock with no contract.
It's technologically impossible to get 400mbps upload with a cable provider. DOCSIS specs just don't allow for it, so you're upload is probably 20mbps or so on your Spectrum package. For most people at this point it doesn't matter too much, but for anyone who uploads a lot fiber is superior since you get symmetrical speeds.

As for FiOS the prices for TV are too high. I now stream everything. The streaming services cost about $40/month plus $40/month for Verizon 200mbps/200mbps (really 300mbps/300mbps). Also switched to Ooma for a landline, so that's only $6/month.